Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does The Sims 4 have enough lots?

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited December 2016
    Unpopular opinion, but yes.

I did the math, and TS4 has got more lots than Sunset Valley. Yes, if you compare it to each and every one of TS3's Worlds, it'll come up short, but in TS3 you could only play one World at a time. In TS4, all of them are available to you.

Not to mention, in TS3, plenty of those lots were either tiny as hell, or they were rabbitholes. Sunset Valley, for instance, had 16 rabbit holes.
    So, Sunset Valley's 90-something lots are actually closer to 75. And with each EP, those available lots would dwindle more and more. Want a horse? You need an Equestrian Center. Want to be a movie star? You need a Film Studio. Want to live in a penthouse without starting a brand-new save and losing all of your Sims' relationships? You'll need to plonk down a penthouse shell. Consignment Store? That'll cost you a lot. Fire Department? That's another one gone.

Conversely, in TS4, do you need a library in every world? A gym? No. Sure, you can, and that'll eat up your available space, but that's your choice. You're not limited to one world. Yes, you need to play in San Myshuno if you want an apartment, but at the same time, if you want an actual house? You gotta go back to Willow Creek. And there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Limiting yourself to one world is 100% your choice, not EA's.

Now, if you'll remember, I said Sunset Valley had 90-ish lots. Let's count how many you've got in TS4.

21 lots in Willow Creek. 21 in Oasis Springs. 15 in Newcrest. 4 in Magnolia Promenade. 26 in Windenburg, not counting the special lots. 30 in San Myshuno. There's 117 lots available to live in and visit, and that's not even counting Granite Falls.

117. And with each expansion or GP that brings a new world, that number is only going to increase.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm in the minority and think there are enough lots in TS4, but I also don't play my game every single day. I might play for a week and then I won't play again for a month or something, so for my style of play there are plenty.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2016
    I think the lots in Sims 4 are not enough and it goes further than the amount of lots available. In Sims 4 I do like the connectivity of the neighborhoods but I would also like to add lots to existing neighborhoods and be able to customize them as well. I am quite sure many would love the connection of worlds in Sims 3 but that is an older game. In Sims 4 customization of worlds was cut from the menu so connectivity is sort of an tradeoff. In the neighborhoods of Sims 4 you have to be very selective in what goes and stays, but not so much in Sims 3 all I had to do was plop down a new lot. another thing the worlds can be large and the worlds can be small. In Sims 4 you have to wait for EA/Maxis to give you one. I rather have the connectivity of the worlds and I also wish to have the ability to customize my neighborhoods as well. When Sims 4 is out of production you are stuck with what neighborhoods that was produced at that time, however with Sims 3 you are not.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Nope. Next slide please.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Given that I have 20+ active households that I rotate between (and only prefer to play in Windenburg and San Myshuno), no, there aren't quite enough lots for my liking.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion, but yes.

I did the math, and TS4 has got more lots than Sunset Valley. Yes, if you compare it to each and every one of TS3's Worlds, it'll come up short, but in TS3 you could only play one World at a time. In TS4, all of them are available to you.

Not to mention, in TS3, plenty of those lots were either tiny as plum, or they were rabbitholes. Sunset Valley, for instance, had 16 rabbit holes.
    So, Sunset Valley's 90-something lots are actually closer to 75. And with each EP, those available lots would dwindle more and more. Want a horse? You need an Equestrian Center. Want to be a movie star? You need a Film Studio. Want to live in a penthouse without starting a brand-new save and losing all of your Sims' relationships? You'll need to plonk down a penthouse shell. Consignment Store? That'll cost you a lot. Fire Department? That's another one gone.

Conversely, in TS4, do you need a library in every world? A gym? No. Sure, you can, and that'll eat up your available space, but that's your choice. You're not limited to one world. Yes, you need to play in San Myshuno if you want an apartment, but at the same time, if you want an actual house? You gotta go back to Willow Creek. And there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Limiting yourself to one world is 100% your choice, not EA's.

Now, if you'll remember, I said Sunset Valley had 90-ish lots. Let's count how many you've got in TS4.

21 lots in Willow Creek. 21 in Oasis Springs. 15 in Newcrest. 4 in Magnolia Promenade. 26 in Windenburg, not counting the special lots. 30 in San Myshuno. There's 117 lots available to live in and visit, and that's not even counting Granite Falls.

117. And with each expansion or GP that brings a new world, that number is only going to increase.

When the EPs and GPs arrive, this problem may be addressed but this makes it nasty that you'll have to spend $80 to purchase both Get Together and City Life for Windenburg and San Myshuno respectively if you want the extra lots, and The Sims 4 is expensive enough already even with the price of the game being lowered to $40. Again, sales do help given the price of TS4 games.

The Sims 3 has an issue with auto-placing lots once certain EPs (such as Ambitions) are installed and you can't disable this once the new Town is loaded. Sure this may be useful for the casual player who may want a horse or join the Professions but players who might not intend to use the feature(s) will probably remove it. Plus some lots will take the place where a player might build such as Sunset Valley where the Equestrian Center will be placed on an empty lot where the Landraabs and Altos live at but it's not a big deal if you only play on smaller lots anyway. However, others like the Movie Studio do not place themselves automatically.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Absolutely not. The amount of lots in The Sims 4 is ridiculous. This is one of the things this game needs, and it's much more important than toddlers. I loved downloading lots that other simmers shared. I really liked to have many different places available to send my Sims to. And right now, what we have are small maps full with decorations that make you believe there are more places than there actually are.
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited December 2016
    Definitely not enough and the situation is aggravated by the lack of empty playable lots. Pretty backdrops are all very well but they are no substitute for sufficient empty lots so you are left with fiddling with the world to make room for your families and builds.
    Post edited by Bettyboop55 on
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Since I have every expansion, I am comfortable with the amount of lots there is, now if it were the base game with the three worlds, I would probably completely build the world from the ground up, place my own houses, lots, populate the town with my own sims and sims from the gallery, I don't care too much for the currently placed households and families, I like to play it my own way.
    Well San Myshuno doesn't have any empty lots so if you want to build your own community lot or build a house, you have to bulldoze them. However, this may be compensated by having no Households in some Apartment rooms and Penthouses do not include any Sims so you can bulldoze or edit them if you want if your Sims are going to be living there anyway. I probably think Gallery situation may be bad since there are only two Penthouses in the entire game and there's no way to convert normal lots to Penthouses. The same problem exists for 50x50 lots and especially 64x64 lots since two of the 64x64 lots are homes to pre-made Households from Get Together while the other one is a Park in City Life.
  • SimmzSimmz Posts: 72 Member
    Not really. I'm actually waiting for a few unplayed households to die off so I can use their houses for other generations of played households.
    Vampires has come out with a new World but EA says that Forgotten Hollow only has 5 Lots so I don't think that's going to be enough. For a single Household player such as myself, the Lot problem wouldn't be an issue but it can be a problem if you tend to build Community Lots or use the Gallery to download lots. The Gallery can make this worse especially with 50x50 and 64x64 Lots (Oakenstead is the only empty non-Community Lot besides Twin Oracle Point [50x40] that is 50x50 while two 64x64 Lots in Windenburg are owned by Households with the other in San Myshuno being a park)
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Bigger maps are not feasible. The game mechanics were not created to scroll around a neighborhood map. That's why there's a lack of lots because they can only fit so much on your screen. Since TS4 was originally meant to be online, that makes sense.

But I have run out of room before and created a whole new game because of the lack of space. I don't mind the smaller neighborhoods, and that is what they are to me. Neighborhoods. Not worlds. We just need MORE of them. I like City Living because it's possible to have 2-3 families per apartment. So while apartments are small, they provide more options to house sims.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• dirtandprettydirtandpretty Posts: 108 Member
    Well, at the rate that various lots in my game a becoming bugged and unusable, no. There are definitely not enough.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    For me it has more than enough. I get in all of my families and loads of community lots and still have spare lots. And I don't even have to touch the pre-mades.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Absolutely not. The amount of lots in The Sims 4 is ridiculous. This is one of the things this game needs, and it's much more important than toddlers. I loved downloading lots that other simmers shared. I really liked to have many different places available to send my Sims to. And right now, what we have are small maps full with decorations that make you believe there are more places than there actually are.

It might be a little pointless to discuss this now, but how can you say that? How could you possibly say that when we've always had plenty of lots but the lack of toddlers stopped so many people from playing and made them feel so hurt and upset? Nothing was ever or will ever be comparable to toddlers. I believe that toddleds were the only thing that we were "owed."
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I would like more small apartments. without TLC
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2017
    Updated to add: I've been building more lately, and another Newcrest type world would be very appreciated. I'm squeaking by so far, but just barely.

There are enough lots for me, but I'm not much of a builder and I still have many unused lots in NewCrest.
    Post edited by Pegasys on
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm quite disappointed that Sims 4 doesn't have more 'blank' Lots with each release. And some of them were quite small to build on, too.
    snurfles wrote: »
    Definitely agree we need more lots. Not more worlds but more lots PER world.

100% this. A couple of huge lots are nice when you want to do a big project (water parks, eg), but medium lots are more flexible.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited January 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    I'm quite disappointed that Sims 4 doesn't have more 'blank' Lots with each release. And some of them were quite small to build on, too.
    snurfles wrote: »
    Definitely agree we need more lots. Not more worlds but more lots PER world.

100% this. A couple of huge lots are nice when you want to do a big project, but medium lots are useful too.

I'd love to have another world like Newcrest filled with empty lots. 30x40 lots are okay already, they can be used for a variety of things (including placing a rather small thing in the middle of such a medium lot, to give it a feeling of being even smaller). I didn't like the 20x15 and similarly small lots in Newcrest though, certainly not enough space for potential expansions.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2017
    fullspiral wrote: »
    What do you need more lots for?

Variety type of shops businesses: clothing store, flower boutique, bakery, restaurants, furnace, plumbing, electronics, decoration/ikea, "car" dealership, lightning store, book stores, collectable... ect.

Police Station.
    Hospital/Clinic.
    Movie Theater.
    Graveyard
    Schools.
    More parks.
    Daycare.
    Fire Station.
    Music Studio.
    Garden.
    Concert Stages.
    Laundromat.
    Bowling Venue.
    Garden.
    Junkard.
    Farms.
    Military Base.
    Recreation Center.
    Bars.
    Lounge.
    Grocery Store.

Uhhh... I feel like I'm missing a few more.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    What do you need more lots for?

This can't be a serious question.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    No. I think that we need to recycle our lots.

There are over 100+ (it varies on how you count the apartments in City Living) buildable lots, if you have all of the packs in the game. How many active families do we play? How many commercial lots do we need? Do we really need duplicate lots? How many lots do we really need?

I know there are people who like to build, I like to build too. I just replace my older lots or create a new game save and move them there. Most of the time I find that the old lots usually are unplayable because they need to be updated because of a new patch or have cc that is broken.

There are also people who play rotationally. How many active families can you manage: One, two ... 30 ? I've found that I can only manage 7 households this way.

I Think that we need to use our game lots more wisely.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    mebagl15 wrote: »
    No. I think that we need to recycle our lots.

There are over 100+ (it varies on how you count the apartments in City Living) buildable lots, if you have all of the packs in the game. How many active families do we play? How many commercial lots do we need? Do we really need duplicate lots? How many lots do we really need?

I know there are people who like to build, I like to build too. I just replace my older lots or create a new game save and move them there. Most of the time I find that the old lots usually are unplayable because they need to be updated because of a new patch or have cc that is broken.

There are also people who play rotationally. How many active families can you manage: One, two ... 30 ? I've found that I can only manage 7 households this way.

I Think that we need to use our game lots more wisely.

Fai points but some players just want more lots because they want to play in a large city world
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • bionicdessertsbionicdesserts Posts: 320 Member
    I'm fine. I play like 20 different households and even with children leaving and setting up their own households I don't see myself running out room anytime soon. At this point I haven't even bulldozed any of the pre-made lots except the ones in Magnolia Promenade to place some schools for the go to school mod. But that wasn't out of necessity, I still have plenty of empty lots, I just didn't want to put the schools in a residential area. And since I mostly ignore Magnolia Promenade it's almost like they're on a hidden lot like the GTW career lots.

But like others have said I wouldn't say no to another empty world. More is always better than less.
    Simmz wrote: »
    Not really. I'm actually waiting for a few unplayed households to die off so I can use their houses for other generations of played households.

@Simmz If you're not playing them anyway, why wait for them to die? Why not just evict them and move your played sims in? It's not like they disappear from the game, they just live offworld.