Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does The Sims 4 have enough lots?

Probably one criticism about The Sims 4 is the number of extra lots for players to build in especially the largest lots. Without DLC, the largest lot is 50x50 while 64x64 is the largest lot for Get Together players.

Willow Creek has Oakenstead which is the only largest Residential lot that players can place their Sims in while the other largest Residential lot in Oasis Springs is Affluista Mansion where the Landgraabs live in, both are 50x50. Both Worlds also have another 50x50 lot but these are parks. Windenburg in The Sims 4 Get Together makes the large lot situation worse as the World includes two 64x64 lots, Von-Windenburg Estate and Dresden House, but they're owned by Villareal and Fyres respectively so you'll have to evict and/or move the Households if you want to have a 64x64 home. It especially doesn't help that Get Together is subject to a broken fanbase over whatever the EPs and other DLCs are good or not.

EA seemed aware of this and added in Newcrest which doesn't include Sims or pre-built lots and even has a large lot, Twin Oracle Point, but slightly smaller at 50x40.

This doesn't help that The Sims 4 doesn't have an ability to create Worlds or the ability to place lots which may not be possible due to how The Sims 4 works compared to The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. To be fair, The Sims didn't include an ability to place extra lots, The Sims 3 didn't include the ability to place extra lots until The Sims 3 Ambitions, while The Sims Castaway Stories and The Sims Medieval do not allow extra lots to be placed at all.

Similarity, The Sims doesn't have an ability to create Neighborhoods but you do get an ability to use different Neighborhoods although the original The Sims on from 2000 only had one Neighborhood. The Sims 2 allows players to create extra Neighborhoods but you need SimCity 4 to design your Neighborhood layout if you don't want to use the default SC4 files. The Sims 3 has Create a World but it's only available to Windows users but Mac users can use Boot Camp or a VM (VMware Fusion/VMware Fusion Pro or Parallels Desktop Desktop) to run Windows, The Sims 3, and The Sims 3 CAW. The Sims 4 currently doesn't have a way to create Worlds.

Do you think The Sims 4 has enough lots?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    Like no
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2016
    We definitely don't have enough lots, not for it to feel like an actual world IMO. I wish we had the ability to at least edit them. If I want to create a new lot for my sims to enjoy, say I want to build an arcade, I'd have to tear down another building I wasn't using. I do wish however we would get extra neighborhoods like Newcrest, but I'm wondering how many more of these would we have to keep adding? Magnolia Promenade was a joke. I wish they would have made more than just 4 lots. That's why I think many were disappointed with City Living as apartments would have solved the issue of having extra room for sims to live. I know that the bigger the lot, the longer it takes to load, so I don't mind the smaller ones.
  • TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    I have no problems with the amount of lots that sims 4 has, but i also only play one family.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I find there's plenty of lots and have never filled them all in any of my saves. But then, I delete the premades every time and usually bulldoze their lots. I also bulldoze any extra gyms, make my own bars, etc.

And personally, I like the smaller lots much better. I usually work on the 20x30 or 30x40 and even find the 30x40 too big for a lot of residential.

I have 37 of my own sims housed and loads of lots to work with.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm finally at a point where I feel like I have enough lots (and two of my three ongoing saves are rotational games with every or almost every residential lot filled), but I'll still be excited for even more world variety! I dream of big, wide-open prairie skies and huge farm lots that look out over waving wheat and pastureland.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I have enough lots so far, and especially large lots ! I think we have far too many of them, if I could, I would replace them with smaller ones.
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    Not for me.
    I play rotationally and I like to fill my neighborhoods with families and venues (and combination of venues). Like I don't want to have the same kind of park/lounge/restaurant/etc. I need variety :tongue:
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm finally at a point where I feel like I have enough lots (and two of my three ongoing saves are rotational games with every or almost every residential lot filled), but I'll still be excited for even more world variety! I dream of big, wide-open prairie skies and huge farm lots that look out over waving wheat and pastureland.

Yes to this!!! I hope we get worlds similar to Appaloosa Plains and Isla Paradiso.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I have enough lots so far, and especially large lots ! I think we have far too many of them, if I could, I would replace them with smaller ones.

Oh yes please! I would love more tiny lots.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Personally I don't use the largest lots. I would like to be able to down-size The largest lots to make them useable in my game. As it is, they either become parks or remain vacant. I only recently found a really nice park for Twin Oracle Point, the 50x40 lot in Newcrest, so it's not empty anymore. It had to be heavilly edited though because it had an over abundance of unnecessary foliage - I'm talking triple layers of plants.

I would like more 30x20 lots - that's my favorite size. I wouldn't mind more 30x30, and 40x20 lots. More of the smaller lots, like 20x20 and 20x15, would be fine too. The 40x30 size is the largest lot size that I've used and that has been a grand total of one time. I ended up with too much wasted space.

I know that many builders like the largest lots for their creations. The larger lots give builders the opportunity to be very creative.

As a player, I prefer my homes to be smaller. Mine are very plain. They rarely have a swimming pool, jacuzzi or space for a hot tub. I don't mean to say that larger homes aren't playable. For me they're not as easy to play as a smaller home.

So, no I don't think that there are enough lots but I don't want more of the larger ones.
  • chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    Not for me.
    I play rotationally and I like to fill my neighborhoods with families and venues (and combination of venues). Like I don't want to have the same kind of park/lounge/restaurant/etc. I need variety :tongue:

Same goes for me. Also, I have many married couples living with their parents due to the lack of lots, or sometimes having two married couples living together.
  • xSpoiledxxSpoiledx Posts: 228 Member
    Oddly, the shortage of lots discourages people from buying expansions and added content because there aren't enough lots to place all the buildings in the different neighborhoods. Why would they want to discourage people from buying content...? I have all the added content and sadly cannot use it how I'd like to. I can definitely see people passing on some of the content because of lack of space.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Nope. I've been out of room for a long time, and I have no desire to spend $40 just to get more lots. Especially when the current offering (city Living) is a restrictive nightmare.
  • HucklekreeHucklekree Posts: 129 Member
    I would like more lots in existing neighborhoods. For me, this iteration needs more lots and in the worlds/neighborhoods we already have. I like continuity and in my mind OS is a really long way away from WS. I won't be splitting my families a void apart. It also doesn't make sense to me that a new family would somehow score a 50x50 lot with a mansion. None of my families are ready for that and without a mansion keeping the larger lots residential is too much wasted space. But it doesn't make sense to have it be a gym or a bakery or a bar either. So park it is...except you can really only have so many of those and without the ability to have a multiuse lot they sit empty in my games.

So yes, short story IMO this game needs more lots in each world. Usably sized lots. Again my opinion
  • Absolutely. There are what? 80+ lots between all of the worlds? People go on and on about TS3 worlds being bigger, but you were confined to one world in TS3. In TS4, you can switch between every world without having to move and go through a 10 minute loading screen.

There are already so many lots in TS4 that I have to make individual saves for each town, because my computer can't handle all the lots and I have to bulldoze a few towns per save.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    For me? mmm... yeah. I mean, I have several saves, and I have one played family for each since I hate the way Sims miss work and school if you switch to that family, and a time limit for family playing isn't for me.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited December 2016
    I too prefer smaller lots over big ones in general. Both of my main saves have empty lots available, so I don't think I'm going to run out of space any time soon. I feel that City Living is a huge help specifically for placing the townies I want to have around, but don't really play. For me the way the neighbourhoods are set up was one thing that I fell in love with this game, so that likely makes me more forgiving towards the restrictions that come with it. I'm always looking forward to see more world or even another free one, but now it's more for the variety than lack of space.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • pamy1124pamy1124 Posts: 525 Member
    Probably one criticism about The Sims 4 is the number of extra lots for players to build in especially the largest lots. Without DLC, the largest lot is 50x50 while 64x64 is the largest lot for Get Together players.

Willow Creek has Oakenstead which is the only largest Residential lot that players can place their Sims in while the other largest Residential lot in Oasis Springs is Affluista Mansion where the Landgraabs live in, both are 50x50. Both Worlds also have another 50x50 lot but these are parks. Windenburg in The Sims 4 Get Together makes the large lot situation worse as the World includes two 64x64 lots, Von-Windenburg Estate and Dresden House, but they're owned by Villareal and Fyres respectively so you'll have to evict and/or move the Households if you want to have a 64x64 home. It especially doesn't help that Get Together is subject to a broken fanbase over whatever the EPs and other DLCs are good or not.

EA seemed aware of this and added in Newcrest which doesn't include Sims or pre-built lots and even has a large lot, Twin Oracle Point, but slightly smaller at 50x40.

This doesn't help that The Sims 4 doesn't have an ability to create Worlds or the ability to place lots which may not be possible due to how The Sims 4 works compared to The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. To be fair, The Sims didn't include an ability to place extra lots, The Sims 3 didn't include the ability to place extra lots until The Sims 3 Ambitions, while The Sims Castaway Stories and The Sims Medieval do not allow extra lots to be placed at all.

Similarity, The Sims doesn't have an ability to create Neighborhoods but you do get an ability to use different Neighborhoods although the original The Sims on from 2000 only had one Neighborhood. The Sims 2 allows players to create extra Neighborhoods but you need SimCity 4 to design your Neighborhood layout if you don't want to use the default SC4 files. The Sims 3 has Create a World but it's only available to Windows users but Mac users can use Boot Camp or a VM (VMware Fusion/VMware Fusion Pro or Parallels Desktop Desktop) to run Windows, The Sims 3, and The Sims 3 CAW. The Sims 4 currently doesn't have a way to create Worlds.

Do you think The Sims 4 has enough lots?

No. Not at all. And I don't like getting rid of pre-built lots, so for me all I really have is Newcrest
    tumblr_mepseko5hO1r4j4oj.gif
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I am good with the amount of lots we currently have. I don't like having to many multiples of lot types so I often bulldoze ones I don't like or repurpose them for other uses. I also play on long life spans so it takes me awhile to get through generations so my families aren't expanding to fast. I also still have some commercial lots that I haven't found uses for yet and the penthouse in the Fashion District is abandoned. It's to big for any type of venue I would like and I'm not keen on using it as a residential.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm good with the number of lots available. I haven't used the larger lots for anything. I prefer smaller lots where I can keep up with what's going on. I also have empty lots in Newcrest and some in Windenburg.

Forgot to add that I also have empty Apts in San Myshuno.
  • scurvycapnscurvycapn Posts: 12 New Member
    I have two answers to the topic at hand.

On one hand, I feel like there are enough lots because sims can travel between worlds willy-nilly. This allows for a large number of families to live in the game and you can run across all of them.

On the other hand, it feels a bit weird that sims from all over can be found just strolling down the sidewalk of any of the worlds. I don't hop in my car, drive to another town, and just wander around the streets of the suburbs. I could see having larger worlds with more lots if sims were restricted to a single world (or maybe there was some kind of world map and sims only wandered around nearby worlds).
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Well, first off you've blended two concerns- lack of lot space and lack of CAW style mechanics. Yes, not having CAW or at the very least the ability to place lots and public area decor (trees, benches and so on) is a major misstep. I agree with that statement.

Are there enough lots otherwise... sigh, that's a little harder to consider. My first thought is to say no but as I have not exhausted the supply of lots available at this time it's hard to say that, there are not enough. I build everything I use myself from scratch (I almost never leave a pre-built standing) and that takes time which probably helps explain that I have not run out of lots but at the same time I feel like there's not enough and I'm afraid I'll run out. That fear is heightened due to the next perceived arrival of a new town is a year away with the next EP. The fact is that not having to replicate gyms/libraries/restaurants/shopping venues over and over from town to town does help a great deal. I have no libraries, one museum (not counting the museum in Myshuno which will eventually be repurposed) and one gym. I also do some multi-use commercial buildings (despite my ridicule of the concept) and that helps. It's not perfect but it helps. I tend to blend libraries with the cafe (just like our RL library here in my town), spas with the gym and restaurants with a (in one instance Karaoke) bar. I'd say a new empty town like Newcrest would not be out of order for people who've gone though what's available and/or maybe a new town is coming with the next GP as is being theorized.
  • simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    edited December 2016
    I always have trouble trying to find enough room for the sims homes AND the entertainment lots I want to send them to.

I often find im switching and changing the entertainment lots to accomodate what I want for my sims , which tends to ruin the immersion of the game for me

edit : Just read a post about wanting more lots like Appaloosa plains ... which brings me to a major bugbear of mine with TS4 , all the lots are flat ... what about some varied terrain , sometimes id like a raised mound I can style into a garden or outdoor movie place or a hot-tub area
  • kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    Not to me
  • tekena36tekena36 Posts: 41 Member
    I also agree there is not enough lots.
    Origin: Tekena37 :D