March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited April 2018
    I managed to get Allan and Braden to cooperate and got them in a picture together.

Screenshot-168.jpg

That big muscular guy is Braden (when he had his birthday party to age up to young adult). From L to R: Braden, Fumiko (Allan's fiancee), and Allan.

Screenshot-169.jpg
    Braden (full on face shot) - not too shabby...as an adult. The blonde behind her is Elsa (Braden's fiancee's mother).

Screenshot-58.jpg
    Braden's fiancee, Greta Johanssen when they were both still teens. She still has four days to go before she ages up to young adult, but I figured, might as well have Braden propose. Carrying on the Chikamori family tradition - "rush into relationships". :D:mrgreen: Hey...it works. :D

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • bebasimbebasim Posts: 581 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @bebasim Wow you tortured your simself with all those kids! LOL
    They're a good looking bunch of kids :)
    The grandkids turned out great too!
    One husband and all those kids wasn't enough for you! LOL You had to go back for more husbands and more kids! What a hoot!
    Thanks for sharing your family - they are lovely!

LOL you wouldn't believe but both mySS and hubby's SS all they wanted was another baby (Just as bad as J & M tbh), The worst part was, every time is wasnt one it was twins or triplets, we over populated the town in the end and it crashed my world. The last husband was my 3rd marriage. I did have one child to Nicholas Fox as a teen but lost her in the world and she ended up being a clone to myss.
    My husband actually said to me geez lucky we didn't want that many kids in real life, i couldn't agree more, even though he comes from a big family himself, i am an only child in RL :joy:
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer Great pics of Allan, Braden and their girls :)

@bebasim I believe you! I have played some large families in the past and the parents never stop wishing for kids! Fortunately I don't let my sims live for too long so they can only fit so many in ;)
    edited April 2018
    @Mikezumi - I think i agree now after playing sim3 for some time, shorter life spans work i had mine on epic with that family, I cant' do that anymore it just is too long (for a story sure but not for Heir purposes)

I started playing a couple of NPC in Isla Paradiso to continue to enjoy sims short gp's since we are moving house in RL, my time is limited (I do miss my J & M though) but for now these guys will do. Still make interesting GP especially as I've never tried this world.
    Thought i would share their family tree genetic what i have so far.

familyshot586.jpg
    Trying to get them to stand still for a few seconds was near impossible.
    I will say this much Alana i had massive issues with her (Original) genetic makeup was the scariest sim i had ever seen (I should have taken a screenshot but forgot at the time. I tried making them both boys to see if the conversion would work, both were born girls.
    Baldemar looks better as a boy so i swapped his gender. But Alana oh my :disappointed: , i did some Nraas research and through genetic manipulation this was the best combination i could get. I am wondering if i want to see them have another child now? Sadly they gave me twins in one hit to my dismay :( I wanted one child at a time grrr - I did cheat to see how they would look as YA and Adults and are not bad, not great, but not bad for a pair of NPC sims I just randomly chose to play.

Julian_Lucasfamtree.jpg
    So I constructed this to make things easier with names

When i started playing Julian obviously was a womanizer and already had a woman pregnant. I moved Judy in to raise her and see her genetics, her mothers genes come through strong but she took on her fathers supernatural trait :)
    Judysfamtree.jpg
    Michael i moved in to raise some skills as he will be Judy's husband once she's YA and moves out to have her own life on the island. Michael's father is Garry Cinder from university.

The current household after last nights game play.
    familyshot584.jpg

edited April 2018
    @bebasim I hope the move goes well and is not too stressful for you!
    It will be interesting to see how Alana grows up now that I know about her unfortunate start!
    Judy and Michael look nice :)
    Lovely to see the blended family :)
    @bebasim I hope the move goes well and is not too stressful for you!
    It will be interesting to see how Alana grows up now that I know about her unfortunate start!
    Judy and Michael look nice :)
    Lovely to see the blended family :)

@Mikezumi - Thank you lovely.
    The move itself is slow we are still clearing out rubbish (things we wont be taking with us) 6 skips later but getting there. Who would think you can build up so much rubbish after 40+ years in a house, this is hubby's parents home and hubby has lived in this house since he was born, 47 years ago. Honestly i love moving, i don't mind it I'm enjoying it, physical work and joints get sore, but i feel like it's a soul cleanser too.

Thank you re the sims. Alana was a headache and as I'm still learning a lot about Nraas as it's abilities i did work out a little more about genetic manipulation so it has helped.
    I think Judy and Michael make a cute pair and Judy will be pretty once she ages up too, the only down side is her lips he mother has shocking lips on the profile, seems like Judy has it but Michael has nice lips so I'm hoping their children will balance out. My isla paradiso has some ugly sims in this world :anguished: I was lucky when i chose the one titled the prince and found Lucas too :joy:

I did start a gp thread i would love your comments as i do everytime you comment, but i am sure you have more than enough links to visit too! :wink:
    however if you wish you're welcome to see it, it can be found here
    edited April 2018
    @bebasim I will definitely be checking out your GP thread when I have some time later today :)
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited April 2018
    Screenshot-107.jpg
    River and Haruo (both): "~sniff~ my baby-girl's all grown up..."

Screenshot-123.jpg

Screenshot-125.jpg

Screenshot-172.jpg
    "Eli Shelley, you creep! What makes you think I'm going to go out with you?!"

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    @Nikkei_Simmer River is just a wriggle away from a wardrobe malfunction with that outfit! :o
    Their daughter aged up well :)
  • SorokasteSorokaste Posts: 19 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Sorokaste wrote: »
    > @Deshong04 said:
    > @Sorokaste Because like in real life, sometimes one parent's genes are stronger than the other. Though that doesn't mean a child can't come out looking like a parent with the weaker genes. Just a much lower probability, if a probability at all.
    >
    > For example in my Rumbaa family, only one child out of 14 in total came out with the mother's skin complexion.
    >
    >
    > I suppose even with skin tones, a dominant color could be recessive and a recessive color could be dominant. Though, some of my Sims kids have a combination of both parents skin tones. Genetics are complex like that. While some say TS3 genetics are wrong and/or doesn't make any sense, I think it makes sense to me. It's about biology/genetics.
    >
    > And speaking of, I forgot when you install The Sims 2 there is a mini-game to play and one of the tidbits of information mentions that is is possible for a blue-eyed and a brown-eyed parent to have a green-eyed child because of a recessive trait. So that confirms that TS2 also had recessive traits Sims could inherit.

I'm playing TS3. :) But I thought I read somewhere that because of the almost infinite colors of skin, eyes, and hair, no color is more dominant than the other? :o My standing theory to why the kid keeps looking like the mom is that it was the mom who initiated the "Try for baby" option, and that the kid has a higher probability to look like her. Don't know if that's true though... I'm currently in the experiment stage of this theory.
    I shall return with results.

I know you are playing TS3, that is why you are posting in TS3 section of the forum. The point of mentioning TS2 is to bring forth information that the previous game, the one that introduced aging/generations/genetics did have dominant and recessive traits related to real life genetics/biology. Therefore, TS3 follows that same formula. "For eye color, hair color, and skin tone, each parent has two genes. When a baby's genetics are determined, each parent gives a randomly determined gene for eye color, hair color, and skin tone." -http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Genetics

Being random makes sense to imitate each spermatozoon and ovum having different genetic information based on each parent's genes. And yes, under TS3 it says something about the game not having dominant/recessive traits and being more simplified which I don't believe. Because I trust my eyes, what I'm observing in-game and what I know and learned about genetics. Of all the things TS3 did exclude from TS2, genetics wasn't one of them.

Also, it doesn't matter about the color wheel since an algorithm could still detect which color would be more dominant than the other based on color intensity, etc. What TS3 lacks is an actual hair dye feature. Because "dyeing" a Sim's hair will change their DNA and means any children born thereafter has the chance of inheriting the unnatural hair color. Which is why I make sure to keep track of my Sim's true hair color if I'm going to dye it and manually change the kid's hair color if they inherit it.
    Screenshot-198.jpg

Did... Did I upset you or something? :o

"I know you are playing TS3, that is why you are posting in TS3 section of the forum." That's a pretty over-the-top explanation... :neutral:
    I didn't mean to accuse you of not knowing what game I was talking about. I am however very new here, and I had been posting in a lot of forums and recent discussions. I wasn't sure if I had posted this in a TS3 forum or not, and I didn't think it would be wrong of me to specify what game I was talking about.

As for the genetics, I still have not find any evidence that TS3 actually has dominant genes or not. But if you have a link to a good source about which skin colors or eye colors are dominant, then I would greatly appreciate it. :smiley:

I did however get some help with my issue. Someone told me that I should have saved BEFORE the conception, and not right after it... (I thought you were only supposed to save before the game announces that the sim is pregnant) This is apparently why my babies keep looking the same... But I'm about to try again! :) We'll see if the results will keep ending up the same...
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @Sorokaste People in general can be annoying and frustrating whether intentional or unintentional just by being completely oblivious, therefore ignorant of why some react the way they do.

Though, sometimes it's best to choose the ignore route. (Either some are slow to catch on or playing innocent when guilty) In any case, I try to give as many benefit of the doubts...but sometimes that just goes and I'm sick of some playing so duh. I don't relate not knowing what section of the forum because I look and read before I post. Doesn't matter whether if I was new or not to a forum.

===

I'm not sure if there ever was any official interviews based on TS3 genetics. But if you look at real life biology/genetics and compare it with your own in-game families, you can come to your own conclusion. In general, dark colors are dominant and light colors are recessive. However, genetics are more complex than that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KELSthXPoSs
    https://www.blinn.edu/socialscience/LDThomas/Feldman/Handouts/0203hand.htm

In my observation of my Rumbaa family. I do notice that all kids either came out with only blue or green eyes. Both are recessive traits but green is the stronger gene than blue. There is other evidence of strong genes being inherited as well.
    All 14 kids born in-game.

Jonathon
    1566e60.png

Carlston
    19mbt5.png

Genesis
    dqqo2.png

Paige
    24e40ar.png

Ryne
    14in6yo.png

Hunter and Choice
    defes.png
    dvlcw5.png

Velvet and Jules
    21b6brl.png
    o0co60.png

Dallin
    119cpde.png

Faith and Ryin
    vn05y0.png
    2jg9mq8.png
    Ryin is the only child who has preset features with all sliders on zero. Since that annoyed me even more once he aged up into a teen, I changed his looks. (Note: Currently, most of these kids are older now.)

Alex
    syugy0.png

Madison
    1z3udy9.png
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    There are no dominant and recessive genes in TS3. The game combines (or not, in the case of clones), whole features of the parents.
    I am not sure about eye colour but hair colour is pulled from parents or, occasionally, from grandparents. There is a high (10%) rate mutation so that, for example, two dark haired parents can have a blonde child even if nobody in the family has that hair colour. I suspect the eye colour mutation rate is similar because I quite often have sim kids get the preset eye colours which I would never use.

For the skin, density and hue are handed down separately. So if you have a dark pink parent and a light blue parent you could have kids with light pink or dark blue skin but the colour is not blended.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Fascinating, @Mikezumi ! All my babies so far have had either Dane or Donovan's hair, and Dane or Donovan's eyes. I now have boys and girls with each. The facial features seem more intermediate, but I can tell whose nose predominated, whose cheekbones, whose mouth, etc. Since it never really occured to me to gender flip them, I had no idea that Donovan's mouth was so very full-lipped on a female Sim. But it's not bad, and both my girls will be able to carry it off just fine.
    @Sindocat Lips always are much fuller in females than in males so if you like full-lipped males be prepared for girls with huge lips! LOL
    Most my of my kids get their hair colour from one or other of the parents but occasionally I will get one that has come from nowhere and usually it's that terrible baby poo green hair :# I also occasionally get a preset eye colour which drives me insane because I go to a lot of trouble giving my sims what I consider to be pretty eye colours. I sometimes don't notice straight away that the eye colour is a preset, but when I line my sims up for their family photo I notice it then.
    edited April 2018
    Ean got baby-poo facial and body-hair. I guiltlessly edited that to match the rich brown head hair he inherited legitimately. :D
    edited April 2018
    And Ean is no longer my only Teen. Sage has aged up, so I finally get a look at the first of my gingers with more or less adult features. Same dads as Ean, but Sage was this little Fairy dude, who takes more after Donovan.

d7Q2wjj.jpg

Lilac is his favorite color, hence the pastels. Happy birthday, Sage!

g9wYnbA.jpg

It's that awkward stage... :joy:

Nsz6zQu.jpg

And.... no.

AQ0u7lw.jpg

I am all for adolescent fashion errors - it's a learning time. But maybe just a regrettable little moustache, instead. That's better!

tlN7XTk.jpg

Definitely Donovan's kid! :D
    Post edited by Sindocat on
    His age-up Trait is "Flirty". He thinks he's a little Casanova. I think it looks like a third eyebrow. But it works, in a weird kind of way. :D So, thanks!
    Thought i would share the updated version of the DeSilva family tree.
    I am looking forward to the next generation from the 3 direct children to see how the game passes on the genes.
    fullfamtree1s.jpg
    edited April 2018
    @Sindocat Lips always are much fuller in females than in males so if you like full-lipped males be prepared for girls with huge lips! LOL
    Most my of my kids get their hair colour from one or other of the parents but occasionally I will get one that has come from nowhere and usually it's that terrible baby poo green hair :# ....

I have to say i am finding this too, not the poo colour thank goodness ( I tend to kill that colour quickly too grrr) but random red heads and blondes. I find the more children a couple have there is more throw outs, i am now trying a smaller breed (if that's the right way of saying it lol) with no more than 3 children per couple to see if i get such a diverse range?

I also find that using slider on eyes at times (like contacts, some of my sim children have inherited that. I found that especially with my first two sims as mySS has contacts to match my natural eye colour and 4 out of all the children inherited that slider. I found it weird but wasnt sure how the game work with it's genetic make up. I must say that with that particular family i did get some unusual eye colours, With a blue and grey combination i had one daughter who had lilac or purple eye colour and one with a light hazel. Most are either blue or gray.

@bebasim Love that family tree! So creative the way you showed Julian's love child branch :)
    Good looking family! Thanks for sharing :)
    I have never used contacts. All my sims have is my default eye replacement which I fell in love with when I first installed it when I started using CC and have never changed. The purple eyes you mentioned could be a preset colour. I never keep those purple eyes because I don't like using presets.
    @Mikezumi - thank you my lovely, i do love photoshop always have, and it gives me a better look at my own family's tree too :wink: , i have one more love child experience for Julian so will update later. :disappointed:

I haven't found a eye set that i can say i'm completely happy with using all the time, this family don't have contacts, mainly as the vamps do get a dull horrible colour once they are turned into vamps, so Julians eye colour was enhanced but makes eye colour interesting esp as the babies are born. I do say Baldemars eyes did turn out a lighter green and nicer. You do have some nice CC's for your sims, well done i'm still playing with different ones to find the ones i like, some skins i have removed as they were ugly and stick with the ones i find warmer, eyes i'm still playing with when i create sims.

I only kept it on one of my sim children (the purple) as it actually suit her, but I've never played her so i can't say if it's a colour i would keep for a gp. I have found greens interesting and blues in eyes so far between progeny, the other colours tend to turn a weird colour for my liking when blending genetics. Some times I've had a horrible colour with eyes to my surprise especially the browns :neutral:

Niall and his husband, Cain, will be bringing in the next generation of kids soon :)

Niall
    40778634675_ccd60bf4e5_o.jpg

Cain
    40778636285_c62aa72124_o.jpg
  • BishybriBishybri Posts: 35 Member
    Hi, I have been following this thread since I was a new member.I have finally become a member, and am allowed to share photos.

Issac Luck(starlight shores)+
    Katie Price (my own created sim)Screenshot-31_zpsrxqbvpvr.jpg
    =
    Iris Luck (their oly daughter together, Katie ended up having some interesting looking kids with her new husband Teodor Medina.)
    Screenshot-79_zpseqd3nwyx.jpg

Daniel Clay and Jamie Clay (my first time using sliders)
    Screenshot-81_zpsnmyfbhdg.jpg

=
    Derrick Clay (eldest son)
    Screenshot-141_zpswnzudjcj.jpg

And my most recent family

Natasha and Nathan Harrison ( mom and dad in picture)
    Screenshot-26_zpspb1bmw2y.jpg

Their Eldest Daughter Pandora Harrison (teen)

Screenshot-37_zps3fnm4hsy.jpg

That is all for today.However the next generation in the Harrison legacy is on its way.

Pandora is pregnant with a girl.

ps. Sorry if this is picture heavy I just got really excited to be able to post pictures.

@Bishybri I am glad that you are now able to share pics but, unfortunately, I cannot see them since you have used Photobucket and unless you pay some exorbitant fee to them your images only show as a message from PB asking you to upgrade your account to enable third party hosting :(
    I personally use Flickr but there are many image hosting sites out there that others may prefer.