Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts about the 2016 MacBook Pro?

The MacBook Pro is one of the most used Macs to play The Sims games as most players of The Sims 4 usually tend to use the MacBook Pro, iMac, and even the MacBook Air. Despite PC users saying that Intel Graphics is bad for The Sims, they're actually good if you have a low resolution (such as 1366x768) plus considering that TS4's requirements are lower than most games (PC games these days require an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870). However, this thread concerns a MacBook Pro which recently came out but has mixed reception especially due to the negatives that the 2016 model has.

The first issue is that the 2016 model is more expensive than the 2015 model. The 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro has prices of $1299, $1499, and $1799 whereas the 2016 model costs $1499, $1799, and $1999. The 2015 15-inch model costs $1999 and $2499 whereas the 2016 model costs $2399 and $2799
13-inch models
$1299 > $1499: $200
$1499 > $1799: $300
$1799 > $1999: $200

15-inch models
$1999 > $2399: $400
$2499 > $2799: $300

We see about a $200 to $300 price increase for the 13-inch models and a $300 to $400 price increase for the 15-inch models.

Prices are also worse in Europe as the prices are more expensive there than in the United States, this is especially going to affect @BluebellFlora since she lives in the U.K. (the United Kingdom also saw price increases as well).

There are also other negatives:
  • The Mac does not include MagSafe which can lead to safety concerns of the new MacBook Pro happened to tripped over. Non-Apple PCs and PowerPC Macs could be damaged if someone trips over the cable but with a MacBook Pro with MagSafe, the Mac won't be damaged if someone trips over the cable.
  • The Mac does not have an SD Card slot. Annoying if you want to increase your Mac's space or use tend to use cameras with SD cards.
  • The Mac does not have USB Type-A ports, only USB-C so you need to get a dongle.
  • The Mac does not have HDMI or Thunderbolt 2 ports so you can't use your old Mini DisplayPort adapters anymore. Fortunately 4K 60Hz could be more easier with USB-C than with DisplayPort since most USB-C adapters support 4K 60Hz through HDMI whereas most DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters only support 4K at 30Hz. However, I don't know which models can do 4K at 60 Hz.

While spec wise, the Mac is an improvement but the removal of ports and the increase of price will make some people refuse to buy the Mac. What are your thoughts about the 2016 MacBook Pro?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    It's a beautiful machine (they always have been) and I really like the touch strip. It's a neat idea, if not innovative, depending on what kind of uses we see come out of it.

My biggest gripe are the specs - I would never pay full retail for an Apple product to receive so little. The specs match what you can get in a PC for less than half of the price, and I'd rather put my money into a machine that will actually keep up with me, rather than spending $1000+ in excess just for the brand and OS.

I commend Apple for being brave enough to remove every port. I'm all for wireless - but I'm skeptical. I like my cooling pad, and I would have to get one with a pass-through style USB port, which I've never had particular luck with. The amount of dongles needed otherwise would be outrageous to support dying technology.

As far as other accessories: mouse, headphones, memory card, etc, they all have wifi/bluetooth counterparts, so that wouldn't be a problem. If I'm spending ~$3k on a new computer (I would only ever consider the top model; if I wanted the mediocre specs of the lower models, I'd grab something off the shelf at Walmart) then buying a new memory card/etc wouldn't be a problem.

I'm unphased by the Magsafe charger being killed off - the old charger design seemed rather flawed. My MIL and sister have gone through countless chargers that always ended up broken internally somehow. I hope the new chargers are more reliable, provided everyone doesn't trip over them.

Lastly, with the move towards everything becoming Retina and 5k, I wouldn't trust an Intel HD anything to drive a 3D application of any kind at that resolution, nevermind part of The Sims series, with how bloated and power hungry the games get as time goes on and updates are added. I'd hate to have such a beautiful display and then not be able to fully use it :(
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I'm getting the top spec. 15" with 4Gb AMD hopefully in the next couple of months or so. Yes, they're ridiculously expensive thanks to the exchange rates at the moment, but I am happy to pay for the fluid, stable and powerful OS and a machine which will perform as well in 4-5 years time as it does now thanks to the fully integrated system.

I don't know why people compare Macs and Windows PCs when they are just so different. I would rather spend my hard earned money on a better built, more stable computer that seamlessly integrates with my wireless/media setup at home than a Windows machine which needs constant maintenance and background tasks running to keep it functioning at an acceptable level. And if I want to run a Windows app then I'll just install it in Boot Camp or a VM.

That's just my opinion and I know 90% of people will disagree ;)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I greatly prefer macOS for the reasons you've mentioned - Windows does get messy pretty quick. While macOS may use less resources, which is great for native apps, Apple's choice in hardware makes me want to die when considering I'm a "creative individual" (who Apple is always touting to) when I'm creating CC for TS4, or doing general 3D work, or digital painting, or developing something in Unreal Engine. $1500 for a computer with a dual core processor and a graphics chip that has 48 cores that are probably going to get throttled down to 300-400MHz? No thanks. I'd greatly prefer a $1500 Windows machine, even if it is more work and nowhere near as nice, where I can get a quad-core i7 and a mainstream graphics card that is easily going to have 20x the specs of whatever graphics chip Apple decided to use.

The Iris 550 they are currently using, spec wise, is on par with specs of nVidia/AMD cards from 5-6 years ago. While macOS will make use of such meager power much more efficiently than Windows ever would, even if it miraculously operated at 100% efficiency, the amount of raw computing power is laughable. I find Apple's choice in hardware borderline offensive for the prices they charge. :(
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I'm getting the top spec. 15" with 4Gb AMD hopefully in the next couple of months or so. Yes, they're ridiculously expensive thanks to the exchange rates at the moment, but I am happy to pay for the fluid, stable and powerful OS and a machine which will perform as well in 4-5 years time as it does now thanks to the fully integrated system.

I don't know why people compare Macs and Windows PCs when they are just so different. I would rather spend my hard earned money on a better built, more stable computer that seamlessly integrates with my wireless/media setup at home than a Windows machine which needs constant maintenance and background tasks running to keep it functioning at an acceptable level. And if I want to run a Windows app then I'll just install it in Boot Camp or a VM.

Macs do have advantages such as not needing to make recovery discs and not having to deal with additional software although people building a PC do not have to deal with this. I know the two systems are different but many people will often compare the processor, storage, and graphics.

The Graphics is often the most compared as Macs often use the Intel Graphics and Intel Graphics is often disliked by gamers (including PC Simmers) as their performance are inferior to the AMD and NVIDIA cards. This is made worse with most PC games requiring an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or an AMD Radeon HD 7850/7870 while many non-gaming Windows computers tend to include Intel HD Graphics which is below the minimum requirements of most games.

The Intel Core i5 on Macs are decently good compared to most cheaper Windows PCs including Celeron and Pentium but the dual core processors included on cheaper Macs will raise a red flag to gamers. Some Windows PCs (and Macs) on sale tend to include a dual core processor which isn't going to help for some games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition and Far Cry 4 that require a quad core processor meaning those PCs, even with a card upgrade, will not be able to play said games.

The storage also gets this as the MacBook Pro uses an SSD which start at a low capacity. Sure SSDs are an improvement over hard rives but they're expensive especially at higher capacities (512GB and 1TB) and have a low amount of storage (128GB and 256 GB) making them useless for modern games as Battlefield 1 requires 50GB, GTA V requires 65GB, and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty: Black Ops III require 55GB and 60GB respectively. SSDs are pretty much useless on PS4 and Xbox One as most games require a lot of storage similar to the Windows versions. Many PC users and manufacturers often install both an SSD and hard drive although this is more expensive while PS3/PS4, laptop, and Mac users often use the Solid State Hybrid Drive. However, most Macs such as the iMac do not officially support having the hard drive replaced and the newer Retina MacBook Pros do not have SATA ports.
  • Options
    mattgstlmattgstl Posts: 1,714 Member
    Hey there @WinMacSims3 , I completly understand any apprehension around getting the 2016 macbook pro seeing all the negative coverage it has gotten recently. As a user for the past few weeks here are some of my thoughts on this mac. I wont make this a review, just a collection of thoughts!

I recently got myself the 13" touch bar model and I love it!! From the short experience I have had on macOS, I must say how great it is! Having come from a windows 10 PC it is a nice change to have a system that isn't always lagging or breaking like on my desktop (which I loathe) :( . The lack of ports issue doesnt really concern me that much as the only ports I would have used is a USB A port which I have an adapter for whic was only £8 on amazon. (Would have been nice for apple to include a free adapter but oh well!). As you've said, the update is a huge improvement in terms of graphics and running speeds. I have had hardly any lag when it comes to using apps or surfing the web. It can play games like The Sims 4 on roughly medium settings which is good for an intergraded graphics machine. If you opt for the 15" you will get a dedicated graphics chip which I don't feel is necessary for the huge price increase you get over the base touch model. Talking of prices, I have to agree with everyone that the prices of these new machines are excessive (especially in post-brexit Britain). Although there is rumor of a price drop next year, not sure how much though.

It also has an excellent build quality with a brilliant butterfly keyboard which is actually an improvement (in my eyes) over the previous generation. Lets not forget that massive trackpad! Bit ott but I find it useful especially when using gestures. The lack of ports has not really been an issue as the only ports I would have used in the last gen mac would be the USB A slots. I could understand your frustration if you use HDMI, SD card etc...

I have to say so far I have little to complain about!
  • Options
    JericaFaceJericaFace Posts: 313 Member
    I actually just got the new MacBook Pro 13" with out the new touch bar, but it is totally worth it. I was surprised on how flawlessly my sims game runs. I have the original game, get to work, dine out, city living and the holiday pack installed, and my game is running perfectly. The graphics are automatically set to low/medium, but with the retina screen it looks great and I can't even tell. The only downside is that when the game is running the Mac gets rather hot on the bottom and the one small fan is extremely loud. Overall, it's a huge improvement of my Windows 10 laptop from before.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

The Graphics is often the most compared as Macs often use the Intel Graphics and Intel Graphics is often disliked by gamers (including PC Simmers) as their performance are inferior to the AMD and NVIDIA cards. This is made worse with most PC games requiring an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or an AMD Radeon HD 7850/7870 while many non-gaming Windows computers tend to include Intel HD Graphics which is below the minimum requirements of most games.

Its not a dislike. Intel cards are not designed for gaming at all. We have explained this to you quite a few times in the PC section. They are designed for general use. Nvidia and AMD make gaming cards that are designed for 3d gaming. AMD and Nvidia also make lower end cards for general use. Gaming laptops do come with dual cards. Intel for general use and Nvidia for gaming. Nvidia cards in general are more powerful than AMD. AMD also heats up more. This becomes an issue in a laptop or even a Mac. You need good cooling on any computer while gaming a more powerful game like the sims. They use the same video cards in Mac and PC. Laptop cards will have "M" after the card number
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @BluebellFlora AMD heats up more than Nvidia. Since your looking at a laptop card in the new Mac, I do remember someone posting in here a while back who had the new mac with AMD and they were having heating issues. Do more research on this issue before buying. Mac should have stuck to Nvidia. AMD heats up more in laptops and desktops too. You just have the option with desktop to add a lot more fans and cooling. AMD is not preferred in laptops and I don't see any higher end AMD laptops anymore. I mostly see lower end AMD laptops that are not for gaming. It may be due to the heat they produce while gaming since it's harder to put sufficient cooling in a small space like a laptop. Gaming laptops use Nvidia/intel and stay a lot cooler.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I believe on the 27" iMacs you have the option to choose which graphics card you want for your computer. Granted it is a desktop computer, but I prefer those to laptops for gaming.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I believe on the 27" iMacs you have the option to choose which graphics card you want for your computer. Granted it is a desktop computer, but I prefer those to laptops for gaming.

Aren't the iMacs only using AMD not Nvidia? Last I had checked which was a while ago they only had AMD and intel. I hope they added Nvidia because you will have less heating issues. Its also a thin design like a PC all in one. The all in ones have worse cooling than a laptop on PC. I cant speak for iMac and cooling since I don't own one. I have just seen others post about the heating issues they experienced with iMac and AMD while gaming. AMD is better in a big tower computer with extra fans and cooling. The even made a song about AMD and how you can cook eggs on it. You can game while cooking breakfast :p

PS I just checked and don't see an option for Nvidia. It is using an AMD laptop card. That is what the X means after the card number. Desktop cards are different and more powerful than laptop cards. The AMD laptop cards are still known to heat up.

You can see the difference here with the Amd card they are using in the new iMac as opposed to the Nvidia GTX 960m we advise using on laptop for this game http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-R9-M395X
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora AMD heats up more than Nvidia. Since your looking at a laptop card in the new Mac, I do remember someone posting in here a while back who had the new mac with AMD and they were having heating issues. Do more research on this issue before buying. Mac should have stuck to Nvidia. AMD heats up more in laptops and desktops too. You just have the option with desktop to add a lot more fans and cooling. AMD is not preferred in laptops and I don't see any higher end AMD laptops anymore. I mostly see lower end AMD laptops that are not for gaming. It may be due to the heat they produce while gaming since it's harder to put sufficient cooling in a small space like a laptop. Gaming laptops use Nvidia/intel and stay a lot cooler.

Having now used Macs for 28 years I can honestly say that all the Macs I've had with AMD GPUs perform better and last longer than ones with NVIDIA, my current 15" MacBook Pros included (2011 with AMD, 2012 with NVIDIA). Laptops or desktops, doesn't matter. Thanks for the advice but I'll stick with my own experience and that of the hundreds of other Mac users who I have had dealings with over the last 15 years, whether professionally or personally :)

apple-signature.png
  • Options

Having now used Macs for 28 years I can honestly say that all the Macs I've had with AMD GPUs perform better and last longer than ones with NVIDIA, my current 15" MacBook Pros included (2011 with AMD, 2012 with NVIDIA). Laptops or desktops, doesn't matter. Thanks for the advice but I'll stick with my own experience and that of the hundreds of other Mac users who I have had dealings with over the last 15 years, whether professionally or personally :)

I just figured I would mention it since I have seen others posting they had heat issues while playing this specific game with iMac and AMD. It could be the game more so than the computer. There are people on PC having heat issues due to the game. It's not their PC. The game is extremely cpu heavy. We have run several tests. I don't know if it's the same way for the Mac version of this game. Its not normal for this this game to be CPU heavy and EA should have looked into the issue by now.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yep, I know about this issue. But Macs are renowned for getting hot because of their design. They very rarely overheat as the OS is extremely efficient at reining in the power. The aluminium unibody also dissipates heat well provided the Mac is sitting on a hard surface, or in the case of an iMac the vents aren't covered and are kept dust free. Obviously It doesn't help that some users insist on placing their Macs on nice warm squidgy surfaces like beds and cushions. And users trying to play on the 12" MacBooks are crazy.

Edited for typo.
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited December 2016

Its not a dislike. Intel cards are not designed for gaming at all. We have explained this to you quite a few times in the PC section. They are designed for general use. Nvidia and AMD make gaming cards that are designed for 3d gaming. AMD and Nvidia also make lower end cards for general use. Gaming laptops do come with dual cards. Intel for general use and Nvidia for gaming. Nvidia cards in general are more powerful than AMD. AMD also heats up more. This becomes an issue in a laptop or even a Mac. You need good cooling on any computer while gaming a more powerful game like the sims. They use the same video cards in Mac and PC. Laptop cards will have "M" after the card number

What I'm trying to refer to by PC Simmers disliking Intel Graphics is often when someone mentions a PC (especially a laptop) from a manufacturer such as HP, Dell, and Acer, many tend to frown upon such computers because they don't have a "gaming" card while they don't frown upon PCs from ASUS ROG, MSI, and GIGABYTE or other gaming PCs. This is similar to people who claim that cheap record players such as a Crosley will destroy your vinyl records due to the higher tracking force which VWestlife has debunked in Will a cheap record player DESTROY your vinyl?

So let's say I got an HP laptop and I decided to post on the The Sims 4 Tech Discussions: "Hey look at this PC from HP, can I play The Sims 4 on it?" and then PC Simmers such as yourself will respond with "Don't play the game on this HP!" or "Playing the game on this laptop will fry it!". Granted, most Macs do have better processors then most PCs especially those using Celeron and Pentium processors. Even I understand that Intel isn't good for gaming especially when most games require NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or an AMD Radeon HD 7870 but despite by that you say about it, Intel Graphics are good enough for some games such as The Sims 4 since it has reasonably low requirements but not most games such as Battlefield 1 (heck some of my games such as Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Dead Rising 3 will likely not work with Intel graphics due to their high graphics requirements).

Most people will lower the resolution and/or graphics to try to make the game faster which is what I would do if the game doesn't run well especially if using integrated graphics and other low end cards or have a Quad HD (2560x1440), Ultra HD (3840x2160) monitor, a Retina MacBook Pro, or iMac as their resolutions require a lot of graphics power.

When they were first introduced, they were near useless for gaming but the newer Intel Graphics have gotten better in performance with the newer Intel CPUs but this is often rendered moot when most games have high graphics requirements (Battlefield 1 requires an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB along with an Intel Core i5-6600K versus The Sims 4 requiring NVIDIA GeForce 6600, ATI Radeon X1300, or Intel GMA X4500 along with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). The problem with Intel and AMD integrated graphics is that most people have 1080p monitors (or TVs) whereas laptops had 1366x768 or 1280x800 screens. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600 pixels whereas 1366x768 and have 1,049,088 and 1,024,000 pixels respectively. However, some laptops are starting to include 1080p screens and the 13" Retina MacBook Pro has a resolution of 2560x1600 which is 4,096,000 which is going to make the Intel Graphics situation worse. The NVIDIA GPUs used in the gaming laptops are powerful enough to run games in 1080p but many Intel graphics usually aren't powerful enough to play games in 1080p even for games that do work on Intel graphics (Civilization V will run slow when played in 1080p) so a MacBook Pro would work fine at 1280x800 but an iMac or Mac mini running at 1920x1080 will have a hard time running it although I've never encountered Simmers who play TS4 on the entry level iMac with Intel HD Graphics or a Mac mini.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @WinMacSims3 In does not matter what intel you have. They are not designed for gaming, Just because they can run a game does not mean the person should run the game on it. It can ruin the hardware causing it to do something it was not designed to do. It will shorten the life span of a laptop. We tell people this for a reason. intel does not meet requirements to play 3d games. This goes with any game that has certain requirements to run. You can play app games on intel or stream a movie without destroying the video card. This article is posted for a reason http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

Not all laptops are equal.(just like Mac) HP and Dell put very cheap hardware in their laptops (and desktops). They also don't have proper cooling. The ones they claim are for gaming they charge an arm and a leg for and the specs don't compare to some other known gaming laptop manufactures. Alienware use to be good until dell bought the name. Now its just an over priced dell with cheap hardware.

Manufactures like Asus, MSI, CLevo , fangbook and some others design and make proper gaming laptops. They are thicker , have proper cooling. Their laptops will not overheat and you don't need a laptop cooler for them. Many of them will also do custom certified hardware.

Even BlubellFlora mentions above how important cooling is. On Mac or PC does not matter. Heat can do damage to both.

No you cant game on an integrated card in higher resolution. That would make a big problem worse. Why intel along with lower end AMD and Nvidia are designed for light tasks and steaming movies in 1080p but not gaming. There is no higher end laptop card on the market that can handle gaming in 4k effectively. It will struggle and have serious fps drops. There is not a single card on desktop that can handle gaming 4k efficiently. Again the person would get serous fps drops. The highest card they make at the moment is a GTX 1080 and it can handle gaming 2k just fine. We are not ready for 4k gaming. Streaming in 4k is fine
  • Options

Aren't the iMacs only using AMD not Nvidia? Last I had checked which was a while ago they only had AMD and intel. I hope they added Nvidia because you will have less heating issues. Its also a thin design like a PC all in one. The all in ones have worse cooling than a laptop on PC. I cant speak for iMac and cooling since I don't own one. I have just seen others post about the heating issues they experienced with iMac and AMD while gaming. AMD is better in a big tower computer with extra fans and cooling. The even made a song about AMD and how you can cook eggs on it. You can game while cooking breakfast :p

PS I just checked and don't see an option for Nvidia. It is using an AMD laptop card. That is what the X means after the card number. Desktop cards are different and more powerful than laptop cards. The AMD laptop cards are still known to heat up.

You can see the difference here with the Amd card they are using in the new iMac as opposed to the Nvidia GTX 960m we advise using on laptop for this game http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-R9-M395X

Don't know. I'm not in the Market for a new Desktop computer. Mine has an Nvidia card, but it's a late 2012 model.
  • Options

Most people will lower the resolution and/or graphics to try to make the game faster which is what I would do if the game doesn't run well especially if using integrated graphics and other low end cards or have a Quad HD (2560x1440), Ultra HD (3840x2160) monitor, a Retina MacBook Pro, or iMac as their resolutions require a lot of graphics power.

I've noticed a very clear distinction on our forums here between Mac and PC: PC people always post about a new computer, "I want to be able to run everything on high with no lag!" versus Mac users who are like, "I put it in a window and everything down to medium and it's fine" - most Mac users are okay with whatever performance they have, as long as the game is playable. If a PC user's FPS drops to 59, they often start to loose it. :# A Mac users' definition of the game running perfectly seems to be quite a bit lower than what PC users expect.
  • Options
    Nearia35 wrote: »

I've noticed a very clear distinction on our forums here between Mac and PC: PC people always post about a new computer, "I want to be able to run everything on high with no lag!" versus Mac users who are like, "I put it in a window and everything down to medium and it's fine" - most Mac users are okay with whatever performance they have, as long as the game is playable. If a PC user's FPS drops to 59, they often start to loose it. :# A Mac users' definition of the game running perfectly seems to be quite a bit lower than what PC users expect.

This is true but there is nothing better than gaming on a PC tower. Yes windows and their updates are plum but we don't care as long as the computer runs the games we want and the way we want them to run. Leaving out that some games are programed plum and won't run properly no matter how beefy your pc is. FPS drops are no fun if your computer is struggling. Dropping to 59 is a bit extreme for throwing a temper tantrum on fps drops though I have seen it happen :p Then you get those who buy the beefy PC that don't know how to use them. Think it's cool to run the fps way to high ( in the hundreds) and over heat their video card. There are also some people who just prefer to play in full screen. I can't stand windowed mode. Mac is last thing people would choose if they game heavily. Mac is more expensive and would not run some of those heavier games out there. People usually buy computers to suit their needs but then are those people who do come in the forum with low end cheap computers and expect the game to run on ultra with no lag. They refuse to run the game in windowed mode or lower resolution to take the stress off their computer. State the game looks ugly on low settings or lower resolution. They force the computer to run on high when they shouldn't and the hardware fails a lot sooner. They are back in the forum having to buy a new PC.
  • Options

Probably because they aren't using their Macs primarily as gaming machines so it's not as important.

But there's also a masssive amount of Mac users who buy them because they think that just because they're expensive, and pretty, they can launch nuclear missiles, do the washing up, and play games on the highest settings possible. Like the ridiculously over priced and underpowered 12" MacBook. Brilliant for what it's designed for - emailing, web surfing, Word etc but not for playing games.

I'm also convinced that a lot of people get poor performance because they're just not looking after their Macs properly - ventilating, having Gbs of data on the desktop, never closing apps properly, having loads of background tasks running, and using the dangerous 'clean up' apps which actually delete things they shouldn't so destabilise the OS.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Probably because they aren't using their Macs primarily as gaming machines so it's not as important.

But there's also a masssive amount of Mac users who buy them because they think that just because they're expensive, and pretty, they can launch nuclear missiles, do the washing up, and play games on the highest settings possible. Like the ridiculously over priced and underpowered 12" MacBook. Brilliant for what it's designed for - emailing, web surfing, Word etc but not for playing games.

I'm also convinced that a lot of people get poor performance because they're just not looking after their Macs properly - ventilating, having Gbs of data on the desktop, never closing apps properly, having loads of background tasks running, and using the dangerous 'clean up' apps which actually delete things they shouldn't so destabilise the OS.

We get the same on PC . Some only want to play the sims and they buy computers for general use. They don't intend on gaming so they don't feel the need to buy a gaming computer to play the sims even though the game requires one.

Like your underpowerd 12" MacBook We get people who think its cool to buy the expensive microsoft pro tablet and then want to play the sims on it. A lot of people come in the forum wanting to play on a tablet.

Taking care of your computer is just as important as having good cooling and having hardware that meets requirements to do what you want that computer to do. Applies to both Mac and PC
  • Options
    That is true. I had my G5 for 8 years until the Motherboard went and it served me well for what I wanted it for.
  • Options
    That is true. I had my G5 for 8 years until the Motherboard went and it served me well for what I wanted it for.

I had a PC computer for 8 years and it would have run longer but we had a lightning strike. I have another computer from 2006 that still runs. It all depends how efficient the hardware is and how someone takes care of their computer. It all factors in. Back then you did not have as many options for hardware as they do now. A lot of computers were made better back then. Now there are a lot of really cheap PC's on the market with the cheapest hardware. People need to do their research before buying. Being that Mac has fewer options than PC and Mac charges a lot more I would expect them to make them efficient for what they charge.
  • Options
    Agreed. No matter the OS, you take care of your computer it will last you a long time. :) Happy New Year!
  • Options
    Agreed. No matter the OS, you take care of your computer it will last you a long time. :) Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too ! Have a great day :)
  • Options
    Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    Beautiful machine but sacrificing features for looks in lame in my book. Honestly you can get a late 2014 iMac for less than a new MacbBook pro and it's so much better. If you have space, get a iMac. Graphics are amazing and I'm only using the base model!