Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovation/Make-Over Mayhem Challenge! - Week 1 Winners have been posted!

DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
edited December 2016 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Hi everyone :).

Seeing as I now again have some free time on my hands (having 46 cats in the house over the summer really took ALL my time), I've been getting back to Simming and having a fabulous time with it. I got into the Fall Fun Exchange and was blessed with a buddy, Kgaff, who was amazing to create for, because of her leaving me so many options. The ones I chose, and liked the best, were the makeovers of the EA houses. It really made me look at the EA created houses and see where there's room for improvement, renovating and sometimes even remaking. So, I figure I can't be the only one who enjoys such things.
And I decided that it would be fun to share with everyone and have everyone share with me. And thus, without further fuss, I wanna welcome you to...

The Renovation/Make-Over Mayhem Challenge!

Reno_Make_Over_Challenge.jpg

This will be an ongoing event/contest, with weekly prizes, for as long as my simpoints last and as long as you all enjoy participating.

The Challenge:

Renovating/Making-Over EA Homes and Community Lots. It really is THAT simple... or is it? ;)

Each week I will pick a random World and pick either Housing or Community or Both. I will also pick Renovation, Make-Over or Both.
Your assignment will be to pick what ever house, community lot or both (depending on the assignment for the week) you want to toy around with and give it a good overhaul - A full Make-Over or a Renovation.
On weeks where the assignment is Both, it means that you can pick Housing or Community Lots as you please, but can only enter into ONE of the categories. You are, of course, free to share Both with us, but must specify which build you wish to be entered into the drawing.

Every week, for as long as my Simpoints last, I will pick 3 builds that inspire, amuse, baffle or amaze me the most.
I will then have one of my lovely cats draw the names of the 3 Creators from a hat (Ok, lies, they'll be drawing it from a bowl filled with paperslips with names on) to determine which name gets which prize.
I maaaay or may not randomly add a BONUS Challenge worth 50 SP to the weekly Challenge, so read the Weekly Challenge Descriptions carefully ;).

The DIFFERENCE between Renovation and Make-Over:

Renovation - You are free to change ALL the wallcoverings, both inside and out. You are free to change all the doors and windows, on a 1 for 1 basis (a 1 space door can be replaced only by a 1 space door, etc.). You are free to tear down all INTERIOR walls. You CAN add a basement, but can NOT build up OR change any of the outside walls. The original blueprint (the outer walls) must remain as they are, apart from wallcoverings, doors and windows.

Make-Over - You are free to change ALL wallcoverings, both inside and out. You are free to change all doors and windows as you wish. You are free to tear down all INTERIOR walls. You can add a basement. You can build onto, up or down as you please, but the ORIGINAL OUTER WALLS MUST remain intact. Which means that you can add rooms onto, I just need to be able to see the original outer wall blueprint, regardless of how much you add on.

The Prizes:

1st. place gets 150 SP worth of items - to spend on their own wishes or donate to use on someone elses wishlist if they want.
2nd. place gets 100 SP worth of items - to spend on their own wishes or donate to use on someone elses wishlist if they want.
3rd. place gets 50 SP worth of items - to spend on their own wishes or donate to use on someone elses wishlist if they want.

Bonus Prizes will, in the weeks where there is a Bonus Challenge, be drawn by a Random Name Generator, between all participants who has the bonus objectives in their build. The Bonus Prize will range between 50 Simpoints and 200 Simpoints.

The Rules:

1) Using a Builder/Tester Sim for depriciation purposes is allowed.

2) Using Moo, CFE, Buydebug is allowed.

3) Once you have decided on a building you want to work on, post a "Before" picture of it. One from the front and a Birds-Eye (overview) picture (for each floor of the build) will be needed. Once your entry is done, uploaded and ready, make a tread showing your lovely work and post the link and your Entry Form BELOW the "Before" picures. And if you could then make a post to let me know that your build is ready, please do so!

4) You can pick both empty houses or houses that has families living in them. You can also use apartments, when a World is picked that has those.

5) For Renovation Week, if you pick a house that has a family in it, evict the family so the house stands with furniture and decor, take note of how much it costs furnished (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 5000 Simleons - that will be your budget to stay within.
If you pick an empty house, take note of how much it costs furnished (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 5000 Simleons - that will be your budget to stay within.
If you pick an apartment, take note of how much it costs furnished (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 5000 Simleons - that will be your budget to stay within.

6) For Make-Over Week, if you pick a house that has a family in it, evict the family so the house stands with furniture and decor, take note of the furnished cost (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 50000 Simleons to that amount - that will be your budget to stay within.
If you pick an empty house, take note of the furnished cost (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 50000 Simleons to that amount - that will be your budget to stay within.
If you pick an apartment, take note of the furnished cost (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) and add 50000 Simleons to that amount (this will be needed for the entry to be valid) - that will be your budget to stay within.

7) Only NEW builds are valid for entering. I/we would love to see things that you have previously built, as it is always a great inspiration, but they won't be valid for the Challenge.

8) I will post a new Challenge every Sunday around 8PM Danish time (GMT+1, Copenhagen if you look at a world clock). You then have 1 week to enter your build. Entries must be in the following Sunday, at 1PM Danish time (GMT+1, Copenhagen time). If your entry is late, it won't be entered into the weekly Challenge, but I/we would still very much love to see it!

9) The winners will be posted each Sunday at 6PM Danish time (GMT+1, Copenhagen time), leaving me 5 hours to look at and judge the entires before getting ready to post the next Challenge. Prizes will be awarded as soon as the winners lets me know how they want their prizes spent.

10) CC is strictly forbidden! This is the most important rule, as many people don't like CC in their game and I'd like everyone to be able to enjoy your amazing creativity. CAP (Create A Pattern) is also forbidden, for the same reason.
Everything will be Custard checked and cleared before being valid as entries.

~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~

Your Entry Form should be posted right BELOW the "Before" pictures and should look like this:

Your name:

Lot name and address in game:

Lot price before:

Lot price after:

World:

Link to thread with pictures/slideshow:

Link to download:

Additional info:

~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~ ~oOo~

Sponsors:

@ADWilson has generously offered to sponsor 1000 Simpoints! <3

@aricarai has generously offered to sponsor 500 Simpoints! <3

Because it is later in the evening that I wanted it to be (had to take care of an emergency with some kitties needing new homes or else...), the first Challenge is going to be an easy peasy one.
I think I have covered all the bases for now, so with THAT out of the way, it's game ON! :smiley:

Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
Post edited by DolphineQ on

Comments

• DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited December 2016
    Reserved for Q&A's.

Q: Do you accept Sponsors?
    A: Absolutely! I have a certain amount of Simpoints available, and if more people wanna chip in, we can keep the Challenge going for longer! :)

Q: Do you need Co-Judges?
    A: No, not really. But if anyone would like to help Custard check the entries, I wouldn't say no.

Q: How about landscaping, is that required?
    A: Landscaping is not required, but it's always nice with some extra to look at. It will not count towards judging for Homes, but will count towards judging for Community Lots.

Q: Do you plan to make an entry form?
    A: The Entry form is (now, thanks to @Lucyena) found in the first post, below the Rules section.

Q: Is there a Bonus Challenge every week?
    A: No. The Bonus Challenge is random. I roll a dice each week and even numbers = Bonus, uneven = No Bonus.

Q: How many pictures can we post in this thread?
    A: Only a picture of the front of your chosen lot, plus a birds-eye overview picture for each story of your lot. The pictures of your entry must go in a seperate thread. And for that, the more pictures, the betterer!

Q: Have you ninjaed @aricarai's idea?
    A: I have ab-so-luuuutely based this Challenge thread on the fantastic contest @aricarai is hosting!
    Having had so much fun with participating and found a deep love for fixing up EA houses, I wanted to do more of it and see more of what everyone else would come up with. So yes, @aricarai IS my inspiration for this! <3

Q: Renovations - do we really only have the furnished price cost to work with?
    A: Nopes! I have changed it so you can add up to 5000 Simleons to the price - more wiggleroom!

Q: Do all structural decks/porches/balconies need to remain as well?
    A: For Renovation, yes, they need to remain, but you can change the fences used to enclose them. For Make-Over over, they don't need to remain and you can change and remove and add as you wish.

Q: Regarding the door/window swap, can a door be swapped for a window and vice versa or only a door for a door/window for a window?
    A: Window for window, door for door. I'd guess you wouldn't want an arch for a front door, but in the case that it makes sense for your Renovation, door for arch is allowed on the outer walls. On interior walls, you can swap door for arches all you like!
    For Make-Over you have completely free hands.

Q: Can we add a free standing arch using MOO without adding any walls?
    A: For Renovation, as long as it doesn't change the outer wall/shape of the outer blueprint, then yes. For Make-Over, no restrictions, as long as the outer wall blueprint remains intact so I can see it.

Q: Can interior or exterior half-walls/fences be changed/removed/added?
    A: For Renovation it is a yes to all interior, no to all exterior. For Make-Over it is a yes to all.

Q: Are we allowed to change the roof style as well as the color and pattern?
    A: You can do what ever you want with the roofs. Remove them, change them to how you want them to look, change color, shingletype, the works. For both Renovation and Make-Over.

Q: Do we have to keep all outside decking? Can we delete and/or add decking?
    A: Decks and porches cannot be changed in Renovations. You can change the color, floortiles on them, you can change the fencing that enclose them, but you cannot change their shape.
    In Make-Overs you can do what ever you feel like, as long as the outer wall of the house remains intact. So changing the shape, size etc. of a porch/deck is fine. But removing it completely to set the house down on the ground is not, as this would change where the outer walls are located.

Q: If decking has stairs, can we add/delete/move stairs?
    A: You can change, add, delete and move deck/porch stairs as you see fit, for both Renovation and Make-over.

Q: Can we add/delete/move any outside landscaping?
    A: Yes, yes and yes. For Renovations on Housing lots, landscaping isn't part of the judging. For Make-Over on Housing, it can easily add interest, but my main focus will be on the building(s) itself.
    For both Renovation and Make-Over on Community Lots, landscaping IS part of the judging.

Q: If there are outer structures, must those walls be retained with the same rules as the house - change wallpaper and one-for-one substitutes of any doors and windows only?
    A: For Renovations, yes, same rules as for the house. For Make-Over... go crazy with free reign!

Q: Can we add roof where there wasn't any before? No adding walls or columns, just bumping out the roof a bit to cover a pre-existing porch.?
    A: Absolutely yes, for both Renovation and Make-Over!

Q: And *can* we add columns?
    A: For Renovation, inside, yes, outside no. For Make-Over, all around yes!

Q: Oh, on our entry form, are we not renaming the lots at all, keeping the original name? Or do we list the original name and a rename if we want?
    A: The original name is a must, but if you want to rename the build, also put that on your entry form.

Q: I was curious if we could include bin homes?
    A: Absolutely yes!

(I will keep adding your questions and editing this post as the Challenges roll)
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Weekly Challenges:

Week 1 Challenge - Renovation week for HOMES in Sunset Valley: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15395958/#Comment_15395958

Week 2 Challenge - Make-Over week for HOMES in Sunset Valley: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15407113/#Comment_15407113

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Weekly Entries - Renovations.

Week 1, Homes in Sunset Valley.

@Lucyena - Entry Form - Presentation Thread. :)
    @creativemetaphor - Enry Form - Presentation Thread. :)
    @ciane - Entry Form - Presentation Page. :)

:) = Custard checked and cleared.
    :'( = Custard checked and not cleared.

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Reserved for Weekly Entries - Make-Overs.

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Reserved for posting Weekly Winners.

Week 1:

1. @Lucyena
    2. @creativemetaphor

Bonus Challenge Winner: @Lucyena .

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Challenge, week 1!

This weeks Challenge is... *drumrolls*... Renovation Week for HOMES in Sunset Valley!

And since I am late in posting the first challenge, there's gonna be an extra special BONUS Challenge: Use the color BLUE on at least ONE Bed!
    The Bonus Winner will be picked by a Random Name Generator, between everyone who has at least ONE BLUE bed in their build! The Bonus Prize this week will be a whoopping 200 Simpoints!

See, easy peasy ;).

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love making over and renovating EA houses. Sounds like fun to me.
  • LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Sounds fun! May do this.
  • LucyenaLucyena Posts: 916 Member
    I bookmarked your thread. Thank you for hosting! I know your thread is brand new and I have a question: Do you plan to make an entry form?
    edited December 2016
    Lucyena wrote: »
    I bookmarked your thread. Thank you for hosting! I know your thread is brand new and I have a question: Do you plan to make an entry form?

... I knew I had forgotten something!
    Yes, entryform. Coming right up. I'll update the rules with the entry form :).
    And I can't wait to see what you will do with these Challenges! :smiley:

2rgmmvq.jpg
    ciane wrote: »
    I love making over and renovating EA houses. Sounds like fun to me.
    I really hope to se your creativity in these challenges, sweetie! :smiley:

2rgmmvq.jpg
    Sounds fun! May do this.
    Awesome, I would love to see what you come up with, dearie! :smiley:

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited December 2016
    What an awesome extension of aricarai's idea! So any house at all from the indicated world?

Questions for Renovation, all structural decks/porches/balconies need to remain as well, I assume? (not just a patio on the ground but a built-up structure?)
    The door/window swap, can a door be swapped for a window and vice versa or only a door for a door/window for a window? What about an arch for a door? What about adding a free-standing arch using MOO without changing any walls?
    Can interior or exterior half-walls/fences be changed/removed/added?
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited December 2016
    Good idea for an ongoing challenge @DolphineQ! Renovations are definitely needed for EA houses! Good luck! I'll be lurking ❤
    edited December 2016
    Okay, I decided on a house. (Sh, it's a secret!) Now for the questions...

Are we allowed to change the roof style as well as the color and pattern? IE. can I just remove all rooves and do them my way or am I limited to just the middle roof option that basically changes color and type of shingle?

Do we have to keep all outside decking? Can we delete and/or add decking?
    If decking has stairs, can we add/delete/move stairs? (If home has stairs can they be changed (style) and/or moved?)

Can we add/delete/move any outside landscaping?

I THINK I can delete everything BUT the outer walls of the home, but I'm not sure if that is your idea.

If there are outer structures, must those walls be retained with the same rules as the house - change wallpaper and one-for-one substitutes of any doors and windows only?

Can foundation not used for the actual home be deleted?

Can two or three single windows in a row be replaced with one double or triple window?

Thank you. I'm going to start deleting the inside stuff.
    Post edited by ciane on
    Also, for reference if it helps anyone, Sunset Valley empty lots has cost of the empty houses to give furnished and unfurnished values. Unfortunately there wasn't a similarly convenient list of the owned lots.
    I love the sims wiki! I do use it a lot!

I said my lot was a secret, but... you can find it here. Don't look if you don't want to know.
    @ciane and @creativemetaphor - I have added your questions to the Q & A section along with responses :).
    I can respond to each of your posts tomorrow if that is easier? Because...

I got snatched this afternoon by an emergency case with a mommycat and her four 6 week old kittens, so they are getting comfy in my bedroom, until they can get picked up and taken to their foster location - their owner became homeless today, so it was a really bad emergency, since they can't live in a box on a streetcorner at this time of year.
    And my phone doesn't wanna be on the forums, I'm just out for some food and a drink, heading back in to make sure they are OK now. When they arrived, they needed baths, eyedrops, fleachecking, LOTS of food (badly underweight and slightly dehydrated all of them), now it's just baths, eyedrops and then lots of cuddles and calm and sleep they are missing. I'll check in during my night hours or very early morning, so let me know you the Q & A is OK or if I need to respond to your posts individually :)<3.

2rgmmvq.jpg

I said my lot was a secret, but... you can find it here. Don't look if you don't want to know.

I looked.... Uuuuuuhhhh!! Now I am REALLY excited to see what you are gonna do with this. Fantastic choice for the first Renovation Challenge, sweetie @ciane! :smiley:

2rgmmvq.jpg
    Q and A is fine that way. Merged is best than looking in more spots.

I'm going to change which lot I redo though. Not being able to change that crazy decking just won't work for me.
    @DolphineQ that works fine but further question - so we can swap an *exterior* door for an arch, but not an interior door?

@ciane totally swiping that house then since that's the one I wanted anyway :mrgreen:
  • LucyenaLucyena Posts: 916 Member
    edited December 2016
    DolphineQ wrote: »
    Lucyena wrote: »

... I knew I had forgotten something!
    Yes, entryform. Coming right up. I'll update the rules with the entry form :).
    And I can't wait to see what you will do with these Challenges! :smiley:

Thank you, for adding it!
    Yesterday I couldn't stop renovating my chosen house :o . I had so much fun! It feels that I flared up again. I am glad that you stocked up the budget. I picked a house that really REALLY urgently needed a renovation and the budget is lower than low! But I keep it secret. Can't wait to see with what you guys, @ciane and @creativemetaphor, come up! :)
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member

Really are you just trying to tease me! How am I NOT suppose to look! LOL
    @DolphineQ that works fine but further question - so we can swap an *exterior* door for an arch, but not an interior door?

@ciane totally swiping that house then since that's the one I wanted anyway :mrgreen:

If swapping makes sense for your design, then yes. But me personally? Not sure I'd like my exterior door to be an arch so everyone can just walk in :wink:

2rgmmvq.jpg
    Q and A is fine that way. Merged is best than looking in more spots.

I'm going to change which lot I redo though. Not being able to change that crazy decking just won't work for me.

Totally OK, sweetie. I do hope that you'll take that one one when it comes up on Make-Over week, you got me curious about your plans for it!

2rgmmvq.jpg