Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim can't get engaged

One is my sims is not able to propose to his girlfriend. There's a message that says something like it's inappropriate to marry this sim in your employ. Is it because he has commitment issues as one of his traits? His girlfriend lives with him and their 3 children they have together. They just can't get engaged or married.
Origin ID: StripedRainbow

Comments

• ChisslChissl Posts: 2 New Member
    I don't have the option to propose. It' popped up once, but was shaded and said that my relationship wasn't high enough. Now that my relationship bar is completely full, the option won't pop up. I've tried to ask on dates, at the romance festival and at home never get the option.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Chissl wrote: »
    I don't have the option to propose. It' popped up once, but was shaded and said that my relationship wasn't high enough. Now that my relationship bar is completely full, the option won't pop up. I've tried to ask on dates, at the romance festival and at home never get the option.

Hello
    Do you get a message that you can't propose/marry another sim because they are your employee ?

If you don't,and if you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issue is still there.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I have the issue where i'm not getting the propose option at all with one of my couples in my main save. I tried another couple from same save file and the option comes up. I'm starting to think that my game is thinking they are already engaged because they are promised to each other from their teen years. I don't use any mods or cc so I know that's not the issue.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

aprilrose wrote: »
    I have the issue where i'm not getting the propose option at all with one of my couples in my main save. I tried another couple from same save file and the option comes up. I'm starting to think that my game is thinking they are already engaged because they are promised to each other from their teen years. I don't use any mods or cc so I know that's not the issue.

Hello
    Simmers have been posting that their sims who promised to each other when a teen are unable to propose.
    It would be good to post on the AHQ EA thread in the earlier post. There are simmers who posted there whose sims had been promised to each other when teens and they didn't have the propose option.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I just broke my couple up temporarily and built their romance up and was able eventually able to propose.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

edited December 2016
    I just broke my couple up temporarily and built their romance up and was able eventually able to propose.

It is great that your couple are now able to propose :)<3
  • DougButcherDougButcher Posts: 27 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Simmers have been posting that their sims who promised to each other when a teen are unable to propose.
    It would be good to post on the AHQ EA thread in the earlier post. There are simmers who posted there whose sims had been promised to each other when teens and they didn't have the propose option.

I posted about my sims not getting married because of "being employed" by the other. That sim had initiated an "Exchange Promise Rings" action. It kept him from ever proposing to any other sim. I think this may have been triggered by the recent patch for some reason, but I think this is the problem.

rosemow wrote: »
    Hello

I posted about my sims not getting married because of "being employed" by the other. That sim had initiated an "Exchange Promise Rings" action. It kept him from ever proposing to any other sim. I think this may have been triggered by the recent patch for some reason, but I think this is the problem.

Hello
    Thankyou for posting the feedback about your sims.
  • Kelly616Kelly616 Posts: 0 New Member
    SimSwim2 wrote: »
    One is my sims is not able to propose to his girlfriend. There's a message that says something like it's inappropriate to marry this sim in your employ. Is it because he has commitment issues as one of his traits? His girlfriend lives with him and their 3 children they have together. They just can't get engaged or married.

If you're using MCCC or UI Mod, they both need to be updated since the recent patch. I downloaded and installed the new versions of the mods and the employ conflict was gone. Give it a shot if you're using either of those two!
    Kelly616 wrote: »

If you're using MCCC or UI Mod, they both need to be updated since the recent patch. I downloaded and installed the new versions of the mods and the employ conflict was gone. Give it a shot if you're using either of those two!

Hello
    It is good to know that updating those mods to the latest versions helped to fix the issue in your game .
  • ChisslChissl Posts: 2 New Member

I'm not sure what these Mods are? I have the different Packs? Where do you go to find the downloads?
    I'm having all sorts of issues since the most recent patch, game is glitchy, various freezing on events, aspirations.
    Thank you!
    Chissl wrote: »

I'm not sure what these Mods are? I have the different Packs? Where do you go to find the downloads?
    I'm having all sorts of issues since the most recent patch, game is glitchy, various freezing on events, aspirations.
    Thank you!

Hello @Chissi
    Repairing the game may help with your issues. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder .

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.
    Try also checking the inventories of other sims households in the game. Simmmers have been finding that the game has been placing items into their inventories when they are not playing the households.
  • redhotchilisimblrredhotchilisimblr Posts: 5 New Member
    My sims have 2 kids together and are promised. But they can't get engaged. I tried everything and I do not mod or custom content. I guess this glitch happened recently... It kind of sucks because this couple is my legacy family so... :/ I just try to ignore this huge fact and stick to something else. Hope they repair this sooon.
    edited December 2016
    My sims have 2 kids together and are promised. But they can't get engaged. I tried everything and I do not mod or custom content. I guess this glitch happened recently... It kind of plum because this couple is my legacy family so... :/ I just try to ignore this huge fact and stick to something else. Hope they repair this sooon.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue. If either of them have other boyfriends /girlfriends try having them break up the relationships
    Try lowering the relationship levels of your two legacy sims or have them break up. Then build up their relationship again and see if that helps.

• pcgamerkpcgamerk Posts: 7 New Member
    I too had the same problem with my Sims trying to get engaged ("Marrying a Sim in your employ would be inappropriate. Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship."). I tried the suggestions from above, yet was still having the problem. The only thing that helped was doing the cheat 'cas.fulleditmode' and updated their relationship to husband and wife. Missed the wedding, but it cost nothing...too bad I couldn't have done that in real life, could have saved a ton (hehe).
    pcgamerk wrote: »
    I too had the same problem with my Sims trying to get engaged ("Marrying a Sim in your employ would be inappropriate. Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship."). I tried the suggestions from above, yet was still having the problem. The only thing that helped was doing the cheat 'cas.fulleditmode' and updated their relationship to husband and wife. Missed the wedding, but it cost nothing...too bad I couldn't have done that in real life, could have saved a ton (hehe).

Hello
    I am sorry that you had this issue in your game also, and that you needed to use the cheat to go into cas and change their relationship. I am sorry that you missed their wedding as a result of the issue :(
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    I think this bug is related to the butler npc. For some reason the game thinks that everyone is a butler. FWIW, I have the pack, but I haven't used the butler at all in my game yet. I'm having the same issue, and it seems to affect all the sims on my current save file. I have mods, but many people with um-modded games are having the same issue. I tried removing my mods folder and most of these bugs persist. I had to reinstall MCC just to make the game somewhat playable. It essentially broken right now.

There is a known bug with teens not being able to propose because they were promised earlier.
    meubanks wrote: »

There is a known bug with teens not being able to propose because they were promised earlier.

My post was a little unclear. I mean once the teens age up to YA they can't propose if they were promised earlier.
    meubanks wrote: »
    I think this bug is related to the butler npc. For some reason the game thinks that everyone is a butler. FWIW, I have the pack, but I haven't used the butler at all in my game yet. I'm having the same issue, and it seems to affect all the sims on my current save file. I have mods, but many people with um-modded games are having the same issue. I tried removing my mods folder and most of these bugs persist. I had to reinstall MCC just to make the game somewhat playable. It essentially broken right now.

The issue with the game treating your sim as being an employee is in this thread on the AHQ EA site. It would be good to post feedback or press " me too " on that thread.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sims-cannot-propose/m-p/5733980#M30911
    It's not the butler. The butler is in the new pack, which I don't have, and I'm still having this issue.
    Hello @pcgamerk
    Is the issue affecting other sims in your game, as well as the ones you needed to take into cas as a workaround to change their relationship?
    I've played enough games to know that dealing with bugs happens. Can it be aggravating? Yes. Disappointing? Yes. Does it stop me from playing the game? No, especially one that I'm addicted to like this one. I persevere while "the powers that be" do what they can to get rid of these little pest.
    If you mean when I go to another lot, then yes. The first time I tried to get them engaged, I went to the guy Sim's lot to propose and the issue came up then. The only employee had under my girl Sim at the time was the 1 time gardener, so I had my character ask about his career and he was unemployed. So I moved him in, thinking this would take care of the problem, it did not. I keep trying, then came to the forums to see if others were having the same issue.