Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[PROBLEM NOT SOLVED, GIVEN UP :)] Speed 3 lag & short freezes (dxdiag included)

Comments

• TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    edited November 2016
    Does it usually take a long time to install? Been stuck on 16% for a while now.. And my screen keeps turning off and on by itself? And little "ba-dum" sounds...??

EDIT: Nevermind.. it installed.. just restarting the computer now :)
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
    I appreciate all your help.. but the game is still as it was! My game was definately fine before the doomed patch, so I'm still sure it's the patch that mucked it up! Hopefully they are working on another patch? :) xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I should have warned you about the screen going on and off. To this day, my heart always skips a beat whenever I'm updating my driver and my screen flickers like that. :D:D I'm a nervous nelly, by nature. I think I'll be 90, still having palpitations over that. haha
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    There was a patch released this morning or yesterday. I haven't tested in game yet. Have you updated to that patch yet?

Let's go over the check list (can't recall everything that has been suggested here, as me and my daughter are working on her school lessons at the same time I'm here on the forums).

Is it every save game or only this save that has the problem?

Did you check to make sure you are running on 64 bit on Sims 4 instead of 32 bit? https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/when-to-use-the-sims-4-64-bit-or-32-bit-version/

Did you run a test without your mods and cc (if you have mods and cc)? I'd run a test in the problematic save, regardless if that save is using cc, just exit without saving once you've done your test run.

Next would be to regen the whole sims 4 folder (in documents). Copy your Sims 4 folder to your desktop (copy the entire folder, go to desktop and right click and select paste. Your entire sims 4 folder will then be on your desktop, safe). You will not have any saves, any cc or mods, etc. But it's safe. Run a new test game to see if the problem is occurring in the new save. Once you've run your test run, you can then go into your Sims 4 on desktop and copy and paste your saves, tray, mods, and screenshots (custom music, if you have added to that folder, too) into your new folder in documents.

What is your resolution that you play in? 1080 might be too much with the added patch and EP with your system being integrated. Try one of the smaller/lower resolutions. And, to be honest, this game is pretty CPU intensive. Your CPU will, at some point, probably struggle. This may be that point. Each new Patch, EP, GP, adds more to the game and therefore your system will be taking a bigger hit. Along with lowering the resolution, you might try lowering the graphics, too. What I'd do is lower the graphics as low as most of them will go and do a test run. If it's better, I'd slowly raise each graphic (starting with what was important to me, such as sim detail - that's my big one) and see what the sweet spot for my pc was.
    p8L4V6v.png
    My toddler is in bed fast asleep, so I'm able to try and fix this problem! You sound like a super mum, sorry for pestering you!

Ok, so I don't have these problems with a different save game... Does that mean it's not my graphics settings?

The save that I'm playing is a rather large save file... I'm on the 18th generation of gameplay. Could this be the problem? I've been playing one save for too long?

Your other points: Yes, it's running at 64-bit. No mods or cc to check. I already reset the sims 4 folder by moving to desktop etc etc. My resolution is set on 1600x900, is this too high? It is the highest option available.. The lowest option is 1024x768.

So all that said, back to my first point: Is it the save I'm playing thats the problem then? Too big? Need to let go of my legacy family? *dies a little inside*

68OUgVc.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,575 Member
    Hello
    Having a large save file can cause issues.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can also cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

If you do decide to start a new save game, you could save your sims to your library and place them into the new save game.They will lose though any relationships that your sims has with sims not in their household, and will lose their inventory and collections progress. They will retain though their skills, reward traits, aspiration progress and their careers
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can also cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

If you do decide to start a new save game, you could save your sims to your library and place them into the new save game.They will lose though any relationships that your sims has with sims not in their household, and will lose their inventory and collections progress. They will retain though their skills, reward traits, aspiration progress and their careers

*cries a little inside* My heart breaks! Hahaha. My sims inventories are always pristine, I hate clutter. and Their household inventories to...

I've known I can save them and load them into a new save but.. I have small selfie pics of all the legacy couples.. and their family tree... I know I'm being silly, just like to be able to see the progress I've made!

Argh, after all that... it's because the save file is too big.. Thanks for all your help! Gonna' have to part ways with it, as this save game is unplayable as it is!

68OUgVc.jpg
    edited November 2016
    Hello

*cries a little inside* My heart breaks! Hahaha. My sims inventories are always pristine, I hate clutter. and Their household inventories to...

I've known I can save them and load them into a new save but.. I have small selfie pics of all the legacy couples.. and their family tree... I know I'm being silly, just like to be able to see the progress I've made!

Argh, after all that... it's because the save file is too big.. Thanks for all your help! Gonna' have to part ways with it, as this save game is unplayable as it is!

Hello
    I am so sorry :(
    It is not silly at all! Our legacy families are very special to us. It is so great that you have reached your 18th generation! It is understandable that you would feel sad , that you are having issues with this save game and the thought of needing to start a new save.
    Sendimg a hug to you <3
    Hello

Hello
    I am so sorry :(
    It is not silly at all! Our legacy families are very special to us. It is so great that you have reached your 18th generation! It is understandable that you would feel sad , that you are having issues with this save game and the thought of needing to start a new save.
    Sendimg a hug to you <3

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :) Take care xoxo

68OUgVc.jpg
    Ok so... Done new save game. It's no where near as bad as it was. But it's still doing it from time to time. The speed 3 jump isn't as big a jump as before but it still does it sometimes, other times it's fine. So who knows what is wrong I guess! :)

68OUgVc.jpg
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    My first question would be what is your processor. It's not showing on the dxdiag. Second would be, is your R7 a dedicated graphic or an integrated. I know some R7's are integrated with the processor. Which R7 is it (if it's dedicated)?

I've never used the auto detect thing from AMD, I always just find my card and download myself. If I know which R7 you have, or if it's intergrated, I can try to find it for you and post a link (yes, AMD is 100% trust worthy. You won't get anything bad from that site).

I'm so sorry to be a pain - You're going to have to put it in a "Tech for Dummies" type of way.. :)

How do I find out what my processor is? And how do I find out if my "R7" is a dedicated graphic or an integrated one?

I'm truly sorry for my ignorance.. I appreciate your help!

Although, just remembered I posted my processor in another post!! Haha, so please see below:

Processor: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.10GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00GB (6.94GB usable)

I apologize. I tend to forget to get detailed in my explanations. :)

Your processor and graphic card are integrated. So we don't need to worry about limiting fps (though I'd have v-sync on just to be safe)

To get the driver, go to this page... http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/desktop-apu-drivers.aspx#a8

Click on the A8 Series APU. One of the first few choices will be the A8-7600. There will actually be two A8-7600's. One will be A8-7600b, you do not want that one. You want the regular A8-7600. Windows 8.1 is the second column, so you want the second column that says 64 bit.

Edited: Just added the bolded bit above. :)

Since I don't play on amd If the computer is integrated , they have no need for vsync. Vsync is for dedicated cards. They should be playing in laptop mode, using the 32 bit version of the game to put less stress on the computer. They have a lower resolution than 1080p so they are ok there playing at lower resolutions
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Ok so... Done new save game. It's no where near as bad as it was. But it's still doing it from time to time. The speed 3 jump isn't as big a jump as before but it still does it sometimes, other times it's fine. So who knows what is wrong I guess! :)

In that borked game you said you checked sims and households... what about your unplayeds? With guitars magically multiplying in busker (job not sim type) inventories, I wondered if maybe some you *can't* check inventories on might be backing too much stuff?

I haven't looked at my NPCs... but if you want to just SEE what they're holding, roll a COPY of that save file and use THAT to move them onto a lot and look them over. They'll lose their NPC job (my only reason ever for NOT loading one to look at "for real"), but it won't matter since this is just a temporary test save.

Also, about that New save, if you don't mod... wow. 18 generations? ( @SimGuruNick any insight on @TheBristolSimmer 's issue?) I'm probably always going to try to get his attention over multi-generation save games. I hate to see people lose stuff.

If you're interested in learning even more new tricks, MC Command Center will be VERY helpful at rebuilding "secondary" links like friendships and so on. IF you see things like Bob and Carol's kids who live in a different house not remembering their parents after being ported to the new save, there are Relationships cheats to fix that.

Just FYI (anybody), these are my Top 3 Mods:

MC Command Center (I won't play without it other than tests.)

Show Sim Info (Very VERY helpful for looking at sim-things.)

UI Cheats (Makes a lot of things MUCH easier. No conflict with MC.)

*UI Cheats and MC have a lot of the same functionality... but they're different kinds of mods, so they don't conflict that I can see. As long as both are patch-updated, I've never had any real trouble running them together. Little stuff occasionally, but that could EASILY have been influenced by OTHER files I also was using. No worries here.

"Functionality" is a word I'd never used prior to Sims4. LOL!!

TY for the tag, @TheBristolSimmer :) I overslept, after only getting 3 hours yesterday, I knew that was a distinct possibility, today. There's something to be said for knowing your limitations, huh? Appreciate the knock on my door. ;)

Keep in touch! :)
    My first question would be what is your processor. It's not showing on the dxdiag. Second would be, is your R7 a dedicated graphic or an integrated. I know some R7's are integrated with the processor. Which R7 is it (if it's dedicated)?

I've never used the auto detect thing from AMD, I always just find my card and download myself. If I know which R7 you have, or if it's intergrated, I can try to find it for you and post a link (yes, AMD is 100% trust worthy. You won't get anything bad from that site).

I'm so sorry to be a pain - You're going to have to put it in a "Tech for Dummies" type of way.. :)

How do I find out what my processor is? And how do I find out if my "R7" is a dedicated graphic or an integrated one?

Although, just remembered I posted my processor in another post!! Haha, so please see below:

Your processor and graphic card are integrated. So we don't need to worry about limiting fps (though I'd have v-sync on just to be safe)

To get the driver, go to this page... http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/desktop-apu-drivers.aspx#a8

Click on the A8 Series APU. One of the first few choices will be the A8-7600. There will actually be two A8-7600's. One will be A8-7600b, you do not want that one. You want the regular A8-7600. Windows 8.1 is the second column, so you want the second column that says 64 bit.

Since I don't play on amd If the computer is integrated , they have no need for vsync. Vsync is for dedicated cards. They should be playing in laptop mode, using the 32 bit version of the game to put less stress on the computer. They have a lower resolution than 1080p so they are ok there playing at lower resolutions

Sorry, you're saying I should be playing in 32-bit??

68OUgVc.jpg

In that borked game you said you checked sims and households... what about your unplayeds? With guitars magically multiplying in busker (job not sim type) inventories, I wondered if maybe some you *can't* check inventories on might be backing too much stuff?

I haven't looked at my NPCs... but if you want to just SEE what they're holding, roll a COPY of that save file and use THAT to move them onto a lot and look them over. They'll lose their NPC job (my only reason ever for NOT loading one to look at "for real"), but it won't matter since this is just a temporary test save.

Also, about that New save, if you don't mod... wow. 18 generations? ( @SimGuruNick any insight on @TheBristolSimmer 's issue?) I'm probably always going to try to get his attention over multi-generation save games. I hate to see people lose stuff.

If you're interested in learning even more new tricks, MC Command Center will be VERY helpful at rebuilding "secondary" links like friendships and so on. IF you see things like Bob and Carol's kids who live in a different house not remembering their parents after being ported to the new save, there are Relationships cheats to fix that.

*UI Cheats and MC have a lot of the same functionality... but they're different kinds of mods, so they don't conflict that I can see. As long as both are patch-updated, I've never had any real trouble running them together. Little stuff occasionally, but that could EASILY have been influenced by OTHER files I also was using. No worries here.

TY for the tag, @TheBristolSimmer :) I overslept, after only getting 3 hours yesterday, I knew that was a distinct possibility, today. There's something to be said for knowing your limitations, huh? Appreciate the knock on my door. ;)

I just realised that another played household, one of the sims in there has like a bagiliion things in her inventory. She's another legacy sim that has maxed all her skills, and she always seems to be picked to be vendor at the flea market, and busk in streets. So multiple guitars and gems and fossils and handcrafted stuff in her inventory.. Really was hoping that the sims team could have fixed that???

Yes, 18 generations! I hate that I would have to lose all that progress.

As for your mod suggestions... I really do not like mods and cc. They just cause more problems in my oppinnion...(that word doesn't look like its spelt right.. opinnion... opinion? .. argh)

...and abandoning post... nappy change... for my toddler... not me!

68OUgVc.jpg
    Continued...

I'm just getting a little fed up with it all really. The hassle of going around all the households... especially the ones that keep getting picked for vendor etc. to check their inventories! It's time consuming. And it drives me nutty!!! Hahaha.

It makes want to just scrap it all and start complete a fresh. But then with this new EP, it's just going to happen again, pretty quickly!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Continued...

I'm just getting a little fed up with it all really. The hassle of going around all the households... especially the ones that keep getting picked for vendor etc. to check their inventories! It's time consuming. And it drives me nutty!!! Hahaha.

It makes want to just scrap it all and start complete a fresh. But then with this new EP, it's just going to happen again, pretty quickly!

If it's for 18 generations, I'm guessing your current save file is getting too big and that's why the game is lagging.

Before you scrap this one, I suggest you just make a new save game and play with a random townie first to test out the Speed 3 and see if you're facing the same problem.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    edited November 2016
    Sorry, you're saying I should be playing in 32-bit.??

Hello.
    Try playing the game in both 32 bit and 64 bit mode and see if one mode helps with your issue more than the other.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'm genuinely suprised they haven't introduced an inventory culling at some point :sweat_smile:
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Sorry, you're saying I should be playing in 32-bit??

You don't need vsync if you don't have a dedicated video card. Try playing the 32 bit version of the game and check off laptop mode in game options. See if that helps the game run smoother.

I just realised that another played household, one of the sims in there has like a bagiliion things in her inventory. She's another legacy sim that has maxed all her skills, and she always seems to be picked to be vendor at the flea market, and busk in streets. So multiple guitars and gems and fossils and handcrafted stuff in her inventory.. Really was hoping that the sims team could have fixed that???

As for your mod suggestions... I really do not like mods and cc. They just cause more problems in my oppinnion...(that word doesn't look like its spelt right.. opinnion... opinion? .. argh)

That ^^ one. ;)

You COULD add MC long enough to repair the broken by moving relationship links, then take it out to actually play.

I'd tear my hair out. But if you like playing without mods, then sure, you can definitely use it just long enough to bandaid your families back together in the new save. Closer to what it is now, than it will be if you just save them as they are, and they all have broken family trees. But yeah, once you have it put back together, you can definitely remove MC, and go on about your business.

That ^^ one. ;)

You COULD add MC long enough to repair the broken by moving relationship links, then take it out to actually play.

I'd tear my hair out. But if you like playing without mods, then sure, you can definitely use it just long enough to bandaid your families back together in the new save. Closer to what it is now, than it will be if you just save them as they are, and they all have broken family trees. But yeah, once you have it put back together, you can definitely remove MC, and go on about your business.

Gotta' remember it's onion with pi in the middle!

68OUgVc.jpg

That ^^ one. ;)

Gotta' remember it's onion with pi in the middle!

Hello
    It is a good way of remembering how to spell the word :)
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    Hey @TheBristolSimmer can you possibly share your save file with me where you're experiencing this issue? Thanks much! :)
    @rosemow considering @TheBristolSimmer has said she's not too computer-savvy, would you please put up the directions on how she can get a save into Nick's hands? :) Thanks! <3

(She likes pictures... got any? :p Probably not, for this, but why not ask?)

@rosemow considering @TheBristolSimmer has said she's not too computer-savvy, would you please put up the directions on how she can get a save into Nick's hands? :) Thanks! <3

(She likes pictures... got any? :p Probably not, for this, but why not ask?)

Hello @TheBristolSimmer
    It would be good to do what SimGuruNick posted and share your save file with him.
    To send your save file to the SimGuru, make a copy of your save file that is in your documents -electronic arts -sims 4 -saves folder,. Then right click the file, and zip your save file into a zip folder. Then upload the zip folder to Dropbox , mediafire or google drive. Then pm him the link to the zip folder that you have uploaded.