Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where can I watch american TV in the UK (legally)?

Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to break or breach any laws. I live in the UK and I love America (I went on holiday there a few years ago and never wanted to leave - seriously!) I really want to watch some American TV (like Good Morning America, for example) over here, but I'm not sure how I can do that. I've heard that you need to go through an application or something to subscribe to and get US TV. I tried finding somewhere online but I wasn't too sure because I was worried it would be breaching rules of overseas TV channels or something like that. Does anyone know a legal way to watch American TV? If not, I won't worry too much. (It sounds silly but I really wished I'd grown up in America and gone to school there).
Just another quick question: Does anyone have any recommendations for learning US History? It's a topic I'm very interested in recently. I found a good website simply called US History but are there any good text books or other websites?
I probably sound nuts but I'm very serious about all this. I'm sort of planning to live in America one day, hopefully.

Comments

• Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    Hi!
    I'm glad your interested in the US :). As a resident, a love US history. I'm sure you could find some videos on YouTube, or history.com. CrashCourse on YouTube has some good American History Videos that I personally enjoy. As for watching American TV, I can't help you on that one, sorry :(
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Youtube is probably the easiest way to find US tv stuff.... Unless it's been geolocked.

As an Aussie, I am completely used to this:
    enhanced-mid-20856-1461885743-1.jpg
    But it still makes me angry.

If you're willing to pay money, Netflix is an option, it has a fair bit of US content, and some doccos about the US.
    But before getting too comfy with the US, I'd strongly recommend that you watch Michael Moore documentaries, Bowling for Columbine and Sicko should be the first two you watch.

Actually, look up Years of Living Dangerously, the first episode is on youtube.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Not Michael Moore no no no. Very skewed opinions
    edited November 2016
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Only if your eyes are closed.

And anyway, whats wrong with people watching things, and forming their own opinions?
    You should be saying, "YES, YES, YES! Watch it and decide for yourself!"

I'd also recommend the Zeitgeist doccos, they're good for giving a different view on things.
    You don't have to agree with what a documentary presents, the whole point of a lot of documentaries is to start a discussion,and get people thinking ouside the box.
  • PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    My passion for the USA hasn't changed, even with Donald Trump taking over as US president. It's not that I don't love my own country, the UK, it's just that I feel like the USA is the place I want to be. I know it's not all glamorous and perfect but where is? One day I'd love to go back there. It's one of my dreams to actually go and live there.
  • PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    Also, I started using Radio Garden to listen to overseas radio stations in the USA.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    @PurpleNightOwl Would you like to switch places? :D I would be thrilled to live in the UK.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Only if your eyes are closed.

And anyway, whats wrong with people watching things, and forming their own opinions?
    You should be saying, "YES, YES, YES! Watch it and decide for yourself!"

I'd also recommend the Zeitgeist doccos, they're good for giving a different view on things.
    You don't have to agree with what a documentary presents, the whole point of a lot of documentaries is to start a discussion,and get people thinking ouside the box.

Lol
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm also from the UK, and the main places to get US TV legally are:
    - Netflix
    - DVDs and a Region-Free DVD player
    - Sky channels
    - Channel 4 channels (like E4)
    - Other US-centric channels like 5Star

I'm pretty sure that covers everything! I only have the basic TV channels (I don't even have the Sky channels) so there's probably more. ;)

Side note: Didn't you learn a lot of US history in High School? It might have just been my school, but we learnt A LOT about the US in Year 7 and Year 8. Horrible Histories is also a great resource! :P
  • FancyKitty795FancyKitty795 Posts: 64 Member
    Do you have Netflix in the UK?
    Part of the 82nd Sim-borne Division!
    Do you have Netflix in the UK?

They have Netflix UK, which is different to the US version.
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hulu plus might be something you could check out. They are fairly up-to-date with TV shows and whatnot, but I'm not sure if it's also regional like Netflix.
    Just another quick question: Does anyone have any recommendations for learning US History?

I tend to find history from television to be a bit iffy (though this isn't specific to the US). Just delete the adjectives and you'll get the facts.

dgvibNQ.png