Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a builder, I feel abandoned in Sims 4 :(

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I feel your pain,

They give us auto foundations, but removed auto roofs?
    They give us adjustable picture heights, but not the ability to delete a single floor tile?
    4 different priced rocks all the same size?
    Ceiling lamps which can't be placed above floor objects (Easels *cough*) without cheating while wall objects can have up to three objects occupying the same column?
    Some objects sit so flush against walls (and other objects) they actually clip, while others have gaps half a tile wide (especially diaganol placement)

^That's just the short list off the top of my head.

Shame really, I see a lot of potential in this game but I have wondered over the past month since I started playing how many people on that team are actually veteran fans and players of the game?

I mean how time consuming and budget breaking could a doorbell or an outdoor lamp that attaches to a fence post actually be?

Meh. Same issues occur with certain curtains. This has been a long-going issue in past games as well. One would think that by now a curtain wouldn't get in the way of much, but in programming language, a tile is a tile is not a tile, but might be a tile, or maybe not...

Not sure which part of my post you are reffering to.
    I assume it's the bit about multiple objects sharing the same floor tile.
    If so I am for sure having trouble understanding the rules.

For the first time two egresses can share the same floor tile.
    (Two adjacent doors sharing the same egress tile at ninety degree angles is brilliant) Bravo!

A trash can that sits in the middle of the kitchen because it won't sit flush against a wall with no competing objects is just a head scratcher....
    As are ceiling lights (which clearly have a low enough profile to allow Sims to move about freely) not being able to share a tile with objects under them.

Yep. It's about the floor tiles. From what I could tell, there aren't any rules. What works for one object doesn't work for another of equal dimension in the same category.

I suspect some objects were repurposed from other categories at some point and tweeking some functional code was forgotten.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I'm not that good at building but it was always fun especially building a nursery and a play room for the toddlers.
    What is taking so long for spiral stairs,ladders,pool slides and sliding glass doors ?.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    In some ways it feels like they were intentionally withholding for those of us who prefer building to playing. There are some items that are locked from use without mods or actually playing to 'unlock' them. Then you have to remove your mods folder to be able to share without it being marked as containing third party content. I don't know if it's changed because I switched back to 3 long ago. I didn't like the choice to make the walls thicker, it makes it very difficult to use smaller lots. I would be remiss if I didn't mention again the lack of CAS. I spent far too much of my game time in Sims 2 externally recoloring items to give up the ability to do it in game.

4 has some of the best clutter of the series, and I did like the ability to change wall heights, and the ability to scale items. Those were nice additions but it's just not an even trade for me.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    In some ways it feels like they were intentionally withholding for those of us who prefer building to playing. There are some items that are locked from use without mods or actually playing to 'unlock' them. Then you have to remove your mods folder to be able to share without it being marked as containing third party content. I don't know if it's changed because I switched back to 3 long ago. I didn't like the choice to make the walls thicker, it makes it very difficult to use smaller lots. I would be remiss if I didn't mention again the lack of CAS. I spent far too much of my game time in Sims 2 externally recoloring items to give up the ability to do it in game.

4 has some of the best clutter of the series, and I did like the ability to change wall heights, and the ability to scale items. Those were nice additions but it's just not an even trade for me.

I didn't like the choice to make the walls thicker,
    Really? I have only been playing for the past month...but I did watch a few early "Let's plays" and I've never seem that...what would be the point? Do you mean taller?

4 has some of the best clutter of the series
    Oh heck yeah...even with my limited DLC I can see that clearly, but the core objects are not nearly diverse enough.
    No run down old looking stuff? Really?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Really? I have only been playing for the past month...but I did watch a few early "Let's plays" and I've never seem that...what would be the point? Do you mean taller?

No, I mean thicker footprints like duplo blocks instead of legos. More of the lot is taken up by the wider footprint of the walls than in previous generations of the game so there is effectively less room for building both on the lot and within the house floorplan.
    Oh heck yeah...even with my limited DLC I can see that clearly, but the core objects are not nearly diverse enough.

If they had included CASt you could make anything you wanted look run down.
  • Options

No, I mean thicker footprints like duplo blocks instead of legos. More of the lot is taken up by the wider footprint of the walls than in previous generations of the game so there is effectively less room for building both on the lot and within the house floorplan.

If they had included CASt you could make anything you wanted look run down.

I hear you. (Never even realized the bit about wall thickness) I'm not a showcase builder by any means so I don't know all the in's and outs.
    As far as CASt...that was the single biggest factor in making me delay my purchase of TS4 for as long as I did.
    In fact it was pretty much the main focus of my first topic out here in years...but it wasn't just CASt...It was the fact that CAP and CAW were also missing that tipped the scales of my purchasing decision

Having said that...I'm glad I did buy the game eventually. because I <3 these Sims.
    (Even though they did pick up the bad TS2 habit of leaving dishes and glasses everywhere)

Just wish they hadn't tread water (and in some cases sunk) in the building department.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Well i only can guess its because this game is limited for building. The ground and all that are more likely made for an Online Sims Game.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It's like they took away our paintbrushes and gave us fingerpaints.

Good way of putting it! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well i only can guess its because this game is limited for building. The ground and all that are more likely made for an Online Sims Game.

The thing is I don't think that building was intended in the first place so a lot of time had to be spent making actual build tools but of course, there wasn't a lot of time to do things which might explain why there is not terrain editing

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    In my opinion, it has to do with the game engine itself (Olympus). Because this game was designed to be "online" and accessible to all kinds of computers, they simplified many aspects of this game.

Think about it a moment. You love a house in TS2 or TS3 and put it in your game. If it has kind of crazy terrain it takes a while to load into your game. Adding CASt and Terrain Tools meant that area may crash someone's computer every time they walked into a certain area. And if your graphics card wasn't high end, it would have struggled to play Sims 4 all the time. (Meaning if it remained the Online version).
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2016
    In my opinion, it has to do with the game engine itself (Olympus). Because this game was designed to be "online" and accessible to all kinds of computers, they simplified many aspects of this game.

Think about it a moment. You love a house in TS2 or TS3 and put it in your game. If it has kind of crazy terrain it takes a while to load into your game. Adding CASt and Terrain Tools meant that area may crash someone's computer every time they walked into a certain area. And if your graphics card wasn't high end, it would have struggled to play Sims 4 all the time. (Meaning if it remained the Online version).
    Not sure there is a connection but there might: when I sent my magician to another simmer via Simport, his recoloured jacket and trousers had a preset colour in her game. Which makes me wonder if altered items in CASt perhaps weren't transferable online. They weren't in Sims 3 anyway.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I feel for you & other builders, @ehaught58. My preferred play style has been severely limited or altogether left out. And it seems like no amount of speaking up helps. What I want apparently just doesn't fit "The Vision." I try on occasion to play Sims 4 again, but I'm quickly bored or frustrated, so I play other games instead.

I wish things could get better, but after two years of repeated disappointments, I've given up hope. My hope now is for a competitor to shake things up.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member

The thing is I don't think that building was intended in the first place so a lot of time had to be spent making actual build tools but of course, there wasn't a lot of time to do things which might explain why there is not terrain editing

:disappointed:

I would say the buildmode was intended as we have now and they just couldn't change the engine before the deadline. They thought the Online Feature in this S4 would be great but after Sim City 2013 they tried to change the game and well thats the outcome. We have something that is clrealy lacking compared to the other Sims Games at least in many areas, no other Sims Main Game had only an avarage to only good score, coz of lacking gameplay and stuff.
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've really started building only this year: before, I was only interested in building my sims own home. Lately, I've started to have fun making my own community lots in the sims 3. CASt have helped a lot at giving every single item or structure the feeling I wanted. So the terrain tools. The sims 4 is terribly restrictive in the building department :/ Plus, the beautiful worlds people can make...
    Post edited by WillowG145 on
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Should I start building? I feel like I am bad in the aspect of that I do not have the patience, but does it feel cooler to live in a house you built or something?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    Should I start building? I feel like I am bad in the aspect of that I do not have the patience, but does it feel cooler to live in a house you built or something?

I build because I enjoy building. I find it relaxing, if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. I think if it's something you could enjoy that you should give it a chance, but I don't think any elements of gameplay should be forced on anyone. There are so many talented builders in the simming community willing to share their creations that you could download instead.

Even being someone who prefers to build I finish my neighborhoods with my favorite creators lots and sims.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member

I build because I enjoy building. I find it relaxing, if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. I think if it's something you could enjoy that you should give it a chance, but I don't think any elements of gameplay should be forced on anyone. There are so many talented builders in the simming community willing to share their creations that you could download instead.

Even being someone who prefers to build I finish my neighborhoods with my favorite creators lots and sims.

I have always thought about building because it seems very interesting to me, I tried to recreate my grandmother's house in Sims 3, but that failed due to not much patience and such. Honestly it seems Sims 4 is a bit easier even though it lacks what a lot of people love. I do love editing so maybe I will try creating.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2016

Yes, for me building is good therapy for whatever ails you. If you can take the frustration in this iteration. The Sims was always a god game to me so nothing more satisfying than to see something you figured out and designed in your game. It's about my game, my world, my ideas, my choices, my imagination.

There are many things about building in TS4 I do like but then it starts to pale when I start to compare it to what is possible in TS2 and TS3. For instance, multi lots, all having to have a foundation under every building if chosen.

I really appreciated the ability to lower the roof sections by the points of degree, to slide under the overhangs, that is a huge improvement to me, however, it's dimmed by (in some cases (with each patch) how this becomes more troublesome now when it gets changed and roof edges show inside homes, or buildings, when it wasn't the case at first release. Things keep getting worse instead of better.

Simple decorating choices are not even possible anymore such as curtains in archways, without a cheat, placing some paintings over a side table near a wall, or placing a mirror over the fireplace or a painting. I know people love these Sims never get stuck because their footprint boundary has been removed in this game, but I really, really can no longer watch them walk through things defying the law of physics. That would be o.k. in a cheap game made by PopCap but not for this series.

I have totally quit the game because CL proved to me, it's about the developers and not the players/customers.

ETA: Prime example of steps backwards...can never place steps on a 45degree angle on a porch/deck. That's been possible since 2004, but not in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I think it's nice that Sims 4 makes it possible for more people to build; however as I said previously, I liked the fact that Sims 3 is harder and it makes me want to learn new and more challenging things. I only decorated the house and tried to add on to it in the Sims 4 in the house that I was playing, so I probably didn't check out the full extent of what was possible, but from what I've read, it seems to have taken a step backwards...much like most of the Sims 4 (so it seems!)

Shameless plug - if ya'll are feeling like creating in the Sims 3 - come visit here. I set it up for builders and decorators and people that just love a good ole makeover!

• Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yes, for me building is good therapy for whatever ails you. If you can take the frustration in this iteration. The Sims was always a god game to me so nothing more satisfying than to see something you figured out and designed in your game. It's about my game, my world, my ideas, my choices, my imagination.

There are many things about building in TS4 I do like but then it starts to pale when I start to compare it to what is possible in TS2 and TS3. For instance, multi lots, all having to have a foundation under every building if chosen.

I really appreciated the ability to lower the roof sections by the points of degree, to slide under the overhangs, that is a huge improvement to me, however, it's dimmed by (in some cases (with each patch) how this becomes more troublesome now when it gets changed and roof edges show inside homes, or buildings, when it wasn't the case at first release. Things keep getting worse instead of better.

Simple decorating choices are not even possible anymore such as curtains in archways, without a cheat, placing some paintings over a side table near a wall, or placing a mirror over the fireplace or a painting. I know people love these Sims never get stuck because their footprint boundary has been removed in this game, but I really, really can no longer watch them walk through things defying the law of physics. That would be o.k. in a cheap game made by PopCap but not for this series.

I have totally quit the game because CL proved to me, it's about the developers and not the players/customers.

ETA: Prime example of steps backwards...can never place steps on a 45degree angle on a porch/deck. That's been possible since 2004, but not in this game.

Love yor post except for the bit about collision detection.
    This is what caused the log jam at the crib with the Nanny (remember that and so many other routing issues where Sims were in the way or going for the same thing at the same time?)

For my money the routing and collision detection in this gane work just fine. I would rather have this than Sims constantly complaining about routing failures.

For the first time I am able to build starters with smaller footprints because I am no longer concerned about the two tile rule.
  • Options
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    First of all, @ehaught58 I understand how you must feel. I enjoyed building in TS3 but for those who mainly loved that aspect, it must be very frustrating. But as someone else mentioned, they actually eliminated lots of different ways that people used to play The Sims games so you're definitely not the only ones left out. But I feel for you, I really do.

Just wanted to tell you that it's great to see you around the forum again. And great that you're still playing TS3, as am I, since I already have lots of your builds in my game and periodically still check for specific things I need from my favorite builders. So I hope you are still uploading lots! :)<3

I don't they were intentionally withholding things, I just think they were making a different kind of game. A simpler game with an online component, and as a result a lot of customization tools had to go. Pity, but those customization options were the reason I loved this game so much. Apparently the people who make and publish this game have no idea why a whole lot of people play it.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    The Sims was always a god game to me so nothing more satisfying than to see something you figured out and designed in your game. It's about my game, my world, my ideas, my choices, my imagination.

This!! When they announce city living I was planning to fill newcrest.. I had a lot of ideas for my game!! Make a apartment zone with a coffee shop near and a school... build my world.. they are executing ppl creativity and imagination
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

I agree with everything you say except one thing. It's more of a question though, I guess. How in the heck can I place stairs at a 45 degree angle in 2 and 3?

I've never been able to do it. Am I using the wrong stairs? This is one thing I had hoped I would finally be able to do in 4. It's the 4th iteration for Pete's sake. I had hoped that by the 4th iteration it was something I was finally able to do.

Other than that. Great post.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I'd like to know too, because I've never been able to do it.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding