Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you be okay with no new world in EP4?

So, with all 3 Expansions installed, we have 120+ lots available, which is a lot. Obviously, we want more. But for now, I think we're not struggling to fit families in unless you're playing with over 50 or so at once.

So for now, would you be annoyed if EP4's budget went solely on gameplay, rather than investing in a new world. Depending on the theme, obviously.

A Pet's EP would most likely continue the tradition of Countryside Living (literally The Sims Unleashed, The Sims 2 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) and The Sims 3 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) all have Country based towns.
A Celebrity EP would need a Hollywood type world. A Travel EP would need a world.

But some EP concepts don't. Seasons, Generations, Career/Hobby related etc. There's too many to mention.

So for now, would you rather all development was focused on a Gameplay based, rather than an EP offering experiences based on Location (which there's nothing wrong with, but not EVERY EP needs to be this way).

Obviously packs like Pets, NL/LN, IP, BV, WA are location based.

The reason I say this is because Get To Work was the only pack so far (EP wise) where the world took a backseat, and whether you like GTW or not, there was a lot of dev time put into Gameplay.

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I have been thinking about this and I would be fine with no new world at this point. I love Windenburg and San Myshuno and when they make a new world I want it to be amazing like those! What I can't make up my mind about is Magnolia Promenade. Would you rather have another one of those or no new world at all? I'm kind of leaning towards no new world at all, because even when I might come up with some use for MP, I feel I could just as well be without it. I'm not completely sure though because another world of that size could also mean getting another WB countryside type neighbourhood in the future. Few lots with plenty of space to roam might actually be worth visiting. I keep wondering could it even work for Pets, but if you can keep your own horses there just wouldn't be many lots available.
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    If EP4 were a Sims 4 version of "Seasons", I would definitely be OK with no new neighborhood
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I think you raise an interesting question. I love getting new worlds, especially when they are interesting and offer a new environment to play out my stories. I'd also welcome more space to build my own random things. However, I think the need of a world is subject to the theme of the expansion.

I think some themes would demand a new destination, especially if the pack has several new lot types which would need to be placed. A vacation based pack obviously needs a new world, where something like weather would have an effect on existing worlds and the time might be better spent there. But if, say, a pets expansion had several new venues (pet store; cat park; dog park; equestrian centre; vets; pet salon; etc) it would be better to have a new world that includes these things rather to have to squeeze them in ourselves.

Plus, they must have a team who specifically work on world building. So they need to utilise those skills. Perhaps if one expansion required a large detailed world, then it would be wise to focus on that and perhaps not do a world for another pack. Rather than have two worlds which are rushed and/or less detailed.

There are a lot of factors to consider, and it's hard to judge it without having more information. I don't think taking away time from the world builders would equal more gameplay, because those are very different skills sets. The question for me is 'should the world builders focus on making large detailed worlds, or creating smaller worlds for every pack'. And again, this is a slippery question because it would depend on just how essential the world would be to the theme. A pack focused on exploration would require a large interesting world, for example.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    It depends, I think, on what the pack is. If it's something like seasons or something that broadens out gameplay more then I'm not going to be bothered at no world. If it's something like Uni, then yeah, probably would be bothered at no new world.
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    Well from what we had received as of lately in EP gameplay is there but lacking. If EA can pull together GREAT gameplay then that would be okay if they did not have a new world. However, if they do not pull it off I would much rather have a world to help more with the weak gameplay

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    It would depend on what the pack's about, as others have said. Themes that don't "require" more space to play but provide lots of gameplay would be fine for me without adding a new world (like GTW did). I think a Generations pack that focuses completely on various age activities, family play, adding toddlers, etc. would be fine to me without a new world. Something like Uni or a Vacation pack would, obviously require a new world of some sort, imo.

However, if they gave us a GP with buildable apartments that we could add to any world, and/or the ability for multi-use lots, I'd be fine if the next EP didn't have an additional world in pretty much every case except a vacation pack.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited November 2016
    I would 100 percent want the next EP to focus solely on gameplay and NO WORLD. I personally think it enhances the game much more when the developers can pour everything into focusing on the actual game and not worry about building a world from scratch.
  • sinnyoncesinnyonce Posts: 88 Member
    yeah as long as they add a new world in a patch or some other pack because i'm running out of empty lots to place my builds
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited November 2016
    If they would bring more depth to traits and also have sims with conflicting traits have negative socials and find it a challenge to live together, then yes, I would pass on a new world. I agree. We need deeper game play, more consequences for actions, and more trait personality for our sims.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    While I love getting new worlds, if EP4 provided enough new features and gameplay I would be okay without one (depending on the theme of course). For example, if we get either seasons or generations themes, the EP could still be great without one. But, if we get something like pets, vacations, or celebrity themes, then a new world really would be best.
  • CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Yes. There are too many divides as it is. I don't want anymore new worlds. I want expanded versions of the ones we have. However, that wont happen and my resentment for the game grows ever bigger.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I finally feel like I have enough lots to build and live on. For now. All I really want now is some world editing tools.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    As EP4 is most likely a Supernatural remake we definitely need a spooky world with a dark sky and historical architecture.
  • BatmanSimmerBatmanSimmer Posts: 248 Member
    It would be interesting to see how the pack turns out. In City living the pack depended heavily on the world, so if they give us no world I will expect a lot of game play. But it could easily end up being disappointing.
    Happy Simming!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    If it meant getting multiple life states, I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't call them worlds in the Sims 4 anyways. More like hoods. I think I would like more empty neighborhoods patched in. Those are nice for building. I would prefer town editor before new worlds because at least then I could make the neighborhoods more useful. Doesn't have to be a Sims 3 World editor, just give me some Sims 2 tools to play with.

I'm starting to think that Game packs might be more suited for adding more hoods. EPs should focus on gameplay and tools and life states.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I think I'd actually prefer it that way... It seems that EA/Maxis put so much effort in the appearences of the new worlds that it sometimes makes the new gameplay in the EPs quite lacking...
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    To me you can never have to many worlds or space. However, I think they should switch things around a bit. Instead of including worlds in expansion packs, I much rather they added the worlds in the Game Packs or made a whole new pack called World Pack or something like that. That way they can focus on gameplay on the expansion packs and have another team work on worlds.
  • MinkFurMinkFur Posts: 164 Member
    As far as seasons go, i'm fine with no new worlds. But for the other EPS i would like more worlds, i'm struggling to fit families (even with the CL lots)
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Definitely! I want a focus on new animations.
  • Toadette12Toadette12 Posts: 193 Member
    I love having new worlds but I would be fine not getting one if it meant the developers focused more on gameplay. I agree, there was so much new gameplay in GTW. But of course it would depend on the EP, as you mentioned - I would be fine with no new world for Generations and Seasons but for EPs like Pets, it would be best to have a new world.
    TS4_EP04_WebQuiz_04.jpg
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Yeah, probably.

Optimally, I'd be fine with no new world but a CAW tool and more flexibility in how certain worlds interact with each other or don't (e.g. if you don't want European sims from Windenburg following you around the American Southwest, you can make sure they don't. Or excluding certain worlds from a save to "ease the load"). But EA has yet to prove that they're really all that smart about designing this game for player freedom.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • HucklekreeHucklekree Posts: 129 Member
    I like the idea of having world's patched in or part of a seperate and expansions focusing on gameplay. Unless, as already stated a world is integral to the pack.
  • ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    This is an interesting question. As far as worlds in general go, I don't want a suburban world like with Willow Creek. I've been raised in the suburbs my entire life and almost every suburb world in Sims 3 was often a disappointment. (I usually custom made each of those worlds with my own lots to make them cooler) If they make a new world I want something new and interesting like Windenburg and San Myshuno.

Worlds I would actually like: Something London themed, because that just sounds fun. Or a magic themed world like in Harry Potter if they did a supernatural EP (which I've been praying for) Of course I want a Uni world too, that just sounds awesome, a world with a similar look to the Sims 3 uni, New England style look.

Personally, I've always liked the gameplay they produced with the EPs and GPs. It's usually satisfied my expectations. Personally Get To Work was my least favorite expansion pack. I'm not really sure why people are bashing on the gameplay aspect of the expansion packs, but that's their opinion and I respect it.

What ebuchala mentioned, I would really like the ability for multi-use lots and buildable apartments, that would just be the best thing in the world.
  • FairyTailTurtleFairyTailTurtle Posts: 72 Member
    I don't really feel the need for more EP neighborhoods. They should definitely focus on improving the game, not on extra lot space. That is, unless it would be important to the pack, like for Late Night or Pets. Basically, I agree with everyone else. :D
    tumblr_static_tumblr_static_76uiiz0z7twkw8w84ow44gscc_640.gif
    My signature's boring, but I have nothing to advertise anyway. Go ahead, move along! =3
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    So, with all 3 Expansions installed, we have 120+ lots available, which is a lot. Obviously, we want more. But for now, I think we're not struggling to fit families in unless you're playing with over 50 or so at once.

So for now, would you be annoyed if EP4's budget went solely on gameplay, rather than investing in a new world. Depending on the theme, obviously.

A Pet's EP would most likely continue the tradition of Countryside Living (literally The Sims Unleashed, The Sims 2 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) and The Sims 3 Pets (PC, Console and Handheld) all have Country based towns.
    A Celebrity EP would need a Hollywood type world. A Travel EP would need a world.

But some EP concepts don't. Seasons, Generations, Career/Hobby related etc. There's too many to mention.

So for now, would you rather all development was focused on a Gameplay based, rather than an EP offering experiences based on Location (which there's nothing wrong with, but not EVERY EP needs to be this way).

Obviously packs like Pets, NL/LN, IP, BV, WA are location based.

The reason I say this is because Get To Work was the only pack so far (EP wise) where the world took a backseat, and whether you like GTW or not, there was a lot of dev time put into Gameplay.

Great points. I was thinking the other day we really shouldn't be calling them "worlds" at all.
    Since they are all interconnected on the same file they are technically "neighborhoods"

I have only been playing about a month now, and only have "Get Together" which added Windenbug (which is pretty cool)
    I added "Dine Out" the other day and used the lots in New Crest to figure out which Maxis/Community created resteraunts I want in the game.
    I'm trying them out 3 at a time, so other than three resteraunts NewCrest is still completely vacant.

I don't think I'll be running out of room anytime soon, so personally I'm good for now.
    I'm all for an expansion that focuses solely on adding to the base.