Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you rather live in an apartment or house?

matchawapplematchawapple Posts: 4 New Member
Hey guys! Would you rather live in an apartment or in a house? Why?

I would live in an apartment at the top floor so I can see the whole city during the day and night. Its all about the scenery ;)

Comments

• DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited November 2016
    During the little time I lived in an apartment I missed my house so much, all the space, the backyard, the green and the animals. I think I'd be happy in the suburbs!
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • LightfieldLightfield Posts: 12,450 Member
    Doesn't really matter to me. I'm happy in my apartment, it's a tad too small, though. So my choice, if I could choose would be a small house (still in the city) or a large apartment. I'd be good 'n well as long as I've got enough space for all my stuff. I have a lot of it. Which is the reason my current apartment is too small. As for scenery, it would be nice with a good view over the city, but I'm not too picky.
    Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I would rather buy a house than rent anything. Waiting until next year to start house hunting.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • LightfieldLightfield Posts: 12,450 Member
    Yeah, wouldn't want to rent either. I own my apartment and am ever so grateful that I found one when they were cheap in my area.
    Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
  • Dr_NonsequiturDr_Nonsequitur Posts: 77 Member
    Born and raised in Detroit - I migrated to the burbs and eventually rural. Got to have space so House.
  • McFizzleShizzleMcFizzleShizzle Posts: 1,632 Member
    I have always lived in a suburban area and I am always bored it's my dream to move to a city apartment where stuff actually happens :joy:
    tumblr_msx1lynGG41rd67d1o1_500.gif
    Origin ID: McFizzleShizzle
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    A house. I've been in an apartment for ten years now, basically when I was in college and moved in with my now husband. I dislike apartments, being told what I can and can't do from landlords. We got in trouble from landlord for having one of those bird feeder hooks in the tiny front portion of our apartment last year. We aren't allowed to shampoo the carpets either, only vacuum. There is a list of animals I can not have as pets. It also feels a bit small with four people, two of which are kids.

I really miss having a backyard, being able to plant a big garden, feed the birds and squirrels, and letting our kids outside on their own swing set would be nice. We are unfortunately stuck in apartments until we pay off student loans.
  • Cadh20000Cadh20000 Posts: 730 Member
    House definitely, much prefer room to move and no thin walls so I don't have to hear my neighbor. Only pluses to the apartment when I had one were the privacy since I lived alone and the fact it was so close to my college.
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

b736bb84-7241-48b2-94de-d977df09cdb3.png
  • Dr_NonsequiturDr_Nonsequitur Posts: 77 Member
    Cities - it's provided - rural - you got to make your entertainment.
    Cities - it's provided - rural - you got to make your entertainment.

Gotta disagree on that, the cities are the boring places.
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'd rather love on a farm out in the country because the city is boring and there's nothing to do in the city.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    In real life I'm not into apartments, renting, or the city life. I am more of a country gal, in fact I own my own home and a farm full of animals.
  • megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    Defintely a house, but I wouldn't pass up on a townhome either. I would get tired of an apartment/condo because of the rules, especially when it comes to working on cars. Plus if you don't live ground level you're always lugging up stairwells groceries and other things.
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • GluttonaceGluttonace Posts: 18 New Member
    I'd prefer a small house so I don't have to worry about the noise from my neighbors or being quiet at night. I work night shifts so I'm asleep until about 1-2 pm and having early risers around really sours the mood when you're forced awake at 8am ( 6 hours early ). Plus, you have more pet freedom in a house! If I could live in a well sound-proofed apartment with a nice view and pets, though, you know I'd be there.
    Gluttonace wrote: »
    I'd prefer a small house so I don't have to worry about the noise from my neighbors or being quiet at night. I work night shifts so I'm asleep until about 1-2 pm and having early risers around really sours the mood when you're forced awake at 8am ( 6 hours early ). Plus, you have more pet freedom in a house! If I could live in a well sound-proofed apartment with a nice view and pets, though, you know I'd be there.

I know how that goes...
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,584 Member
    Over here where I'm at, we all live in flats/apartments, so yeah, we don't really have a choice. But I guess living in a house will be a nice change.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    House. I've lived in apartments my whole life. I don't enjoy it that much. I mean it has it's pluses, smaller space to clean, by the same token the smaller space can be really frustrating too. My apartment always seems too small, and it's actually kind of large (of course if I actually lived on my own not with my parents...). And the rules of apartments are stupid.

The worst one for me right now is, no pets. I had my cat put down a few months ago and our new landlord doesn't allow pets, we could only keep the ones we had already. We can't get a new one, the place is so SO empty without a furbaby sharing it with me. It feels so wrong and it really really doesn't feel like home anymore. And sadly, that's a very common apartment rule, it's hard (though not impossible) to find one that allows pets.

We can't really make it a home and redo much of anything in it, because it's not actually ours. It's kind of an ugly place and it'll remain ugly. Your own house you can do whatever the heck you want with it, make it look nice, make it yours, make it home.

Neighbours banging on shared walls at 3am is not fun, blasting their stereo, rumbling their insanely noisy car with its lights shining in your window at 4am for an hour. I know houses get noisy neighbours too, but at least you get a few feet more distance from them.

I would *possibly* consider buying a condo. But they're such a horrendous value, you pay almost as much for a really tiny unit, sometimes actually as much or more, as you would for a proper starter home. And a lot of them still have rules you have to follow just the same as an apartment. But I do have to wonder how much I really need a house, I don't plan on having kids or anything so I don't really need a lot of space. Just for me and eventually a significant other, and a cat or two. But I dunno, I just don't think condos are worth it, it would be great if they weren't so dang expensive.

So yeah, I would own a house in a heartbeat, as opposed to renting an apartment. And you don't really own apartments here (though that's pretty much what a condo is, an apartment you own. But I discussed my feelings on those already). You can rent houses, but mostly it's just like renting the basement or a room of the house, not really the whole house, so it's basically an apartment. So yeah a house, I would love to live in, and own, a house.

I guess you can own a townhouse, which kind of is somewhere in the middle. Not as big as a house, bigger than an apartment. Better value than a condo, usually cheaper than a whole house. Forgot about those, that could actually be okay. I'd give that serious thought at least.

(didn't mean to write a novel. LOL. Oh well.)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I'd rather own than rent, because rent is just money down the drain. Rent-to-own would be a nice compromise, I suppose.

On that matter, I'd rather live in a house, but I wouldn't mind living in a shared space if I owned the unit, and am not just renting it. Just as long as my neighbors aren't too bothersome.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Citykid at heart but I loved my teen years growing up near a nature reserve.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I like living in a house.

I used to live in a flat, it was fun at first, but noisy neighbours are annoying, so is the lack of space.

My dream home has to have enough room for me to have a large studio, a guest room or two, and space enough to have a couple of friends move in, and enough communal spaces and bathrooms, so we don't get in each others way.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Apartment!!! I'm too lazy to live in a house and take care of it and its surroundings.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Rit4_RedRit4_Red Posts: 1,131 Member
    I have only once in my lifetime lived in apartment and those were the worst and most depressing years in my life! after a few months i was nearly ready to jump out of the balcony with bungee rope on my neck!! :unamused:

I was born and raised in the countryside in the middle of spruces and birches and if i feel like it i wanna go naked outside with my morning coffee and enjoy the the breeze without anyone staring at me with goofy looks!! :#
    So detached house in the countryside for me! there my soul rests and i can smile with bliss!! :blush:
    smilei%2Bt%2Bconfesa.jpg
    If i was a bird, i'd be a Ruphus cucullatus! An endling! Last of their kind!
    EA account ID Rit4_Red
  • Crystal1976Crystal1976 Posts: 154 Member
    I would like an apartment in a city for the scenery and stuff, but I wouldn't really want to live in a city with a lot a people. I'd probably want to live in the outskirts of some big city in a house with my own yard XD
    F1%2BGTR%2Bcrash.gif

"Whoops!"
    -Nick Mason (Official)
  • HaimonaHaimona Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2016
    Home, i just bought my first home a few months ago! :smile: I didn't like that the rent on my apartment went up each year but they never updated my unit with newer appliances. Also, the rules really stifled my creativity as far as making the place feel more like a home that reflects my personality.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Apartment!!! I'm too lazy to live in a house and take care of it and its surroundings.

I know what you mean.
    I have a housemate, and we live in squalor, but pay someone else to take care of the garden.

But I just love the space we have in a house! I have a big studio, my housemate has a workshop in the garage (not things that you can have in the average aparment) we even have our own livingrooms, and half the rent each is far less than either of us would pay for a flat on our own. And we have space for parking 4 cars, if we ever had that many, useful for when family visit, and still no need for anyone to park on the street. I don't think many apartments have that.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif