Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems wih Lighting

I had a problem on my old Computer where when turning on a Light it would take a bit for the Room to show the Light effect. I am having the same problem with my new machine which has a GTX 1080 and A top range i7 CPU. I thought this would improve with the new machine. Very disappointed. They are Large Lots. This happening to anyone else?
Kind regards James.

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello
    Have you tried testing it in a new save game and does the same issue occur?
    Could you perhaps post a video of what happens, and simmers may be able to help? You can take a video of it occurring in game, then upload it to YouTube, then post the link to it in this thread.
  • RetrovanianRetrovanian Posts: 580 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi I have no idea how to produce a video and I am not a member of youtube. It happens on all the large lots I have built. The main Bedroom in Ultra Modern Home is the worst. I give up. A new Computer and no change in the programs performance. This happened with my last machine and the Sims 3. I will do what I did before and stop using the program until the problem rectifies itself.
    Kind regards James.
    Hello
    If the lights continue to be slow to come on, try changing the lighting /graphics settings in game options and see if that helps.
    Try changing the lights intensity and see if that helps.
    Make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
    The issue may be a result of the largeness of your lot. I am sorry :(
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hi I have no idea how to produce a video and I am not a member of youtube. It happens on all the large lots I have built. The main Bedroom in Ultra Modern Home is the worst. I give up. A new Computer and no change in the programs performance. This happened with my last machine and the Sims 3. I will do what I did before and stop using the program until the problem rectifies itself.
    Kind regards James.

Hope your enjoying the new pc :)
    Keep in mind, the sims 4 is wonky at best.. even the best pc in the world will have issues with something when playing this game. for most people it's FPS drops and shadow issues. To make the best out of your pc.. play another game LOL
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited October 2016
    Kind regards James.

The sims 3 lighting is different in every world. I find using extra lights and lighter walls helps. Your computer is strong enough to use lighting mods for the sims 3 while gaming. You can ask in the sims 3 section about those. If you were playing Midnight Hollow , that world is very dark and people use lighting mods for that world.

Edit : this is a thread about lighting mods for sims 3 if interested http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902112/increase-sims-3-graphics-even-more/p1

As for the sims 4 , I don't play it anymore so Im no help there

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,595 Member
    Kind regards James.

Could you maybe take a screenshot of when the lights are off and on? I'm having trouble understanding what you're experiencing. When you say take a bit, do you mean there's a pause before all the lights come on? Or do you mean the lights are not lighting the room enough?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Hi,
    I can switch on the room and the lightbulbs come on and glow but it takes up to 30 seconds for the room to actually light up eg on carpets furniture.
    Thanks guys for your replies much appreciated.
    Kind regards James.
    edited October 2016
    Hello, I just tried to download your big lot and I can see that you have a LOT of stuff on there. My fps was like below 30fps which should not be happening often but you also have a lot of lights too. I find that mine take around 3-4 secs to light but some of the other lights on the other level don't turn on as quickly unless I go to that level.

This is roughly how fast it is on my laptop and I only have a 960m.
    c0PIEes.gif

I don't know why yours is about 30 seconds since your computer seems to be better than mine. It could be that the 1080 is a really new card and I think the game has a hard time recognizing it but you also said you had a problem with the old computer. Do you remember what your old card was?

The only thing I can suggest is setting your lighting settings to high or very high and maybe instead of turning on and off all the lights at once, perhaps use auto-lights instead so when your sim enters the room, only the lights in that room will light up. And also keep your Nvidia settings to the default cuz I have mine on default. Also, make sure your sim's inventories aren't loaded. This could cause some lags too.
    832XG3D.gif
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hi,
    I can switch on the room and the lightbulbs come on and glow but it takes up to 30 seconds for the room to actually light up eg on carpets furniture.
    Thanks guys for your replies much appreciated.
    Kind regards James.

Are you using vsync? I don't know if this will help but it is a must with your card

aa03762d-0b8a-48ab-a6cf-9eca2c446f24_zpsr3imjd8n.png
    Hi and thanks for your replies. The setting is on Ultra and I have tried V-synch and it makes no difference, maybe I am using the the wrong setting. I have started a new game from scratch and I will see if that works. @ DeKay what are your settings for The Sims. My other Machine has a GTX 570.
    Kind regards James.
    edited October 2016
    Hi,
    Have just been experimenting with a new game from scratch having made it generate a new Sims 4 Folder. On the biggest Lot Ultra Modern it takes about a second for the rooms to light up properly now. I have lost all my original Saves but at least it is working The problem must have been with these. The Gallery is fairly slow to appear and has nothing in the Main Section. My Library is all there. Is it down at the moment ? My Internet connection is fully functional. I have it on Ultra running 1080p at 144 hertz.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Kind regards James.
    edited October 2016
    Hello .
    There is an issue with the Gallery at the moment .
    SimQARobo wrote: »
    We're looking into it.

The SimGurus are looking into the issue

I am glad that the lighting is working better with the new save game.

Edit : The issue with the Gallery should be fixed now.
    Post edited by rosemow on
    edited October 2016
    Hi,
    Have just been experimenting with a new game from scratch having made it generate a new Sims 4 Folder. On the biggest Lot Ultra Modern it takes about a second for the rooms to light up properly now. I have lost all my original Saves but at least it is working The problem must have been with these. The Gallery is fairly slow to appear and has nothing in the Main Section. My Library is all there. Is it down at the moment ? My Internet connection is fully functional. I have it on Ultra running 1080p at 144 hertz.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Kind regards James.

Yah, seems like it could be our previous saves were too big. My settings are custom but from memory:
    Sims: Very high
    Objects: High
    Lighting: Very High
    Reflection: Medium
    Effects: Medium
    V-sync: On
    Edge smoothing: High (or very high, can't remember but I know it's the highest setting you can put it to)
    Distance: High
    Laptop Mode: Off
    Post Processing: On
    Uncompressed sim textures: On

Sorry you could not find your old saves anymore, I hope you have at least saved your household to your Library so you can play with them again.
    832XG3D.gif
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    That's strange, lights should load almost instantaneously. My GTX 1070 keeps up at every resolution and every setting. Make sure you're running the 64-bit version of the game.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
    Thanks all.
    I will refer back to this Topic if I have any more problems.
    Kind regards James.
    edited November 2016
    Issue back on my largest Lot Shadow Manor. Delay in Room lighting up again. I must have the Graphics settings wrong. GTX 1080 should not have this issue with any program out today. It is set a 64 bit. Vertical Sync is on 3D application setting. Puzzled.
    Kind regards James.
    Issue back on my largest Lot Shadow Manor. Delay in Room lighting up again. I must have the Graphics settings wrong. GTX 1080 should not have this issue with any program out today. It is set a 64 bit. Vertical Sync is on 3D application setting. Puzzled.
    Kind regards James.

My guess is that your lot is just too big. The game is really weird too cuz people with a really good CPU and GPU can still get fps issue, and I'm guessing the problem you're having is kinda like that too simply cuz your lot is too big. Like I mentioned, perhaps you might want to keep the lights on at all times or have them set to auto-lights so that they will only turn on when your sims enter the room.
    832XG3D.gif
    edited November 2016
    Just tried on a smaller Lot with the same problem also keyboard and mouse are freezing making the game unplayable. New Computer will not run this game as well as the old one did. Need Help. Will have to return this machine before the 14 day deadline is out in 3 days.
    Full Spec :-

COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, RGB Lighting
    Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
    Graphics Card 8GB EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FTW GAMING - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GTX VR Ready!
    1st Hard Disk 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
    2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
    Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
    Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
    Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
    Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
    Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
    Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
    Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
    DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve

Kind regards James.
    Even getting this problem on smaller Lots now.
    Kind regards James.
    edited November 2016
    Just played the x-plane demo with settings on extreme and it runs perfectly. Cannot understand this.
    NovaBench score is 2643
    Kind regards James
    I'm sorry that you're having this problem, James. The recent patch has been a bit laggy.

Here's what you can do:

Check to see that the game is playing on 64 bit version and not the 32 bit. Right click on the box art in Origin and pick "Game Properties" and go to "Advanced Launch Options" and see if it's at the 64 bit. Then go into your game and go to game options and turn off "Online Features" (it's located somewhere in the last tab).

Then test out on the small lot and see if you have a problem with the lighting.

@chesterbigbird Do you have a computer with the new 10X series to test this out? OP is having freezes with the game with his 1080 card. I'm not too sure if it's the card problem or what cuz I'm running the game on my 960m and it's fine.
    832XG3D.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you're having this problem, James. The recent patch has been a bit laggy.

Here's what you can do:

Check to see that the game is playing on 64 bit version and not the 32 bit. Right click on the box art in Origin and pick "Game Properties" and go to "Advanced Launch Options" and see if it's at the 64 bit. Then go into your game and go to game options and turn off "Online Features" (it's located somewhere in the last tab).

@chesterbigbird Do you have a computer with the new 10X series to test this out? OP is having freezes with the game with his 1080 card. I'm not too sure if it's the card problem or what cuz I'm running the game on my 960m and it's fine.

I will check it out later today, i have the GTX 1080. (MSI gaming X.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

DeKay wrote: »

Here's what you can do:

I will check it out later today, i have the GTX 1080. (MSI gaming X.)

Thank you so much! :)
    832XG3D.gif
    Will have to test tomorrow.. been very busy today and I'm having a few windows issues i need to sort out. :s ugh win 10 been giving me issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide