Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

YOTO (Youth On Their Own) Challenge

CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
edited March 7 in Nominated Threads
This TS4 challenge is a version of a run-away teen challenge crossed with the "Mooch Off Your Neighbor" challenge, with a touch of "Wonder Child" thrown in for good measure.

The Goal: Play a teen to young adulthood on long lifespan without ever once staying on the home lot or moving in with other Sims. Earn an A in school and complete as many aspirations and skill levels for points and other benefits.

To Start
  1. Create a teen in CAS. Any traits and aspirations allowed
  2. Move your teen into any empty lot in any world.

The Home Lot
Your teen is not allowed to stay on the home lot or to do any activities on the home lot except for using the mailbox to publish books (if your teen writes any). Aside from that, ignore the home lot. Since your teen is essentially homeless, you may want to pretend that the home lot doesn't exist.

Do not pay bills. (After all, your teen won't be staying on the lot, so no utilities are needed.)

Note: Because the game can sometimes have trouble saving when your Sim is not on the home lot, it's recommended that you return the teen to the lot periodically to save the game.

Purchasing Items
You may only buy items that can go into the teen's inventory. As long as it's an inventory item, you can buy it!

Earning Money
Without a home address, your teen is unable to get a job. Any other way of earning money, including freelance work, is allowed.

Where to Sleep/Eat/Bathe
Until your teen earns an A, he or she may only sleep, eat, and bathe at community lots or the homes of other Sims. After your teen has earned an A, he or she may stay at the YOTO shelter (see below).

Your Sim is free to travel freely between worlds.

Granite Falls
Your Sim may camp at Granite Falls for no more than three Sim days at a time, every other Sim week. Your teen can buy any of the items available for purchase at the Granite Falls mercantile, including tents, beds, and coolers, and is free to use these items upon return.

School Attendance
It can be challenging for teens without permanent residences to attend school. Therefore, in this game, until the grade of A is achieved, your teen must use every available vacation day and call in sick the day after the final available vacation day is used. One day of hooky must also be used each week.

Once your teen has earned the A grade in school, you may use vacation, sick, at hooky days at your discretion, provided the A grade is maintained. If the grade drops below A, your teen must again use every available vacation day, take a sick day after the final available vacation day, and play hooky once a week.

(Since one of the game goals is to earn an A, the vacation, sick, and hooky days aren't rewards: they're consequences that make it challenging to earn the A.)

The YOTO Shelter
Once your teen has earned an A, you may build a Youth On Their Own shelter at any community lot. The YOTO shelter may contain any skilling objects or living facilities that you desire, including gyms, showers, kitchens, and beds.

Because school attendance is one of the rules of staying at a YOTO shelter, if your teen's grade drops below an A, your teen may not stay at the YOTO shelter during the required vacation, sick, and hooky days). Your teen can only stay at the YOTO on days when he or she attends school (weekends not included).

Skills and Aspirations
Scoring follows the teen portion of the Wonder Child scoring chart.

You are welcome to switch aspiration a will. (You don't need to complete one before switching to another.)

Challenge Over
The challenge is over once the teen ages to young adult, playing on long lifespan.

Have fun!

Please let us know if you try this challenge and how it goes for you!

If you have questions, ideas, or suggestions, please share them!

If you write a story for this, please share it! We'll link to it here on this thread, and we'd love for you to post announcements whenever you post an update.

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited October 2016
    FAQs and Tips

1. From @thePlumbob :
    So I'm guessing briefly going on your home lot because the teen has school doesn't count, right? Since it teleports you there automatically when you send them.

That's right! Great point. Anytime the game automatically teleports the Sim to the home lot is allowed, of course. Your teen can also spend as much time in the home neighborhood as you want, even camping out in open areas or sleeping in neighborhood parks. The teen just can't live or engage in activities on the home lot.

TIP: You may want to take advantage of the afterschool auto-teleport to the home lot by doing a save, since saves tend to work best when the Sim is at home.
    Post edited by CathyTea on

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited January 2017
    Stories Based on This Challenge
    If you write a story from a game that follows this challenge, please let me know and I'll link it here!

Gone Viral by @AkramA

Shift by @CathyTea

• KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    This actually sounds really cool! I really hope that someone takes it on!
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
    Kamio wrote: »
    This actually sounds really cool! I really hope that someone takes it on!

I'm starting mine right now! :) I'm going to be writing a story for it. I hope others try it, too! I'll let you all know if it's fun or not...

edited October 2016
    So! I just finished my first play session of this, and it's so much fun! It's sort of addicting...

My teen is camping out in the bluffs near the Oasis Springs park. I found that if you place a cot and other stuff in the inventory, you can have the Sim "Place In World" out in the neighborhood, so she's living out there in the boonies and she's got a yoga mat, meditation stool, cot, cooler, and boombox! It's super fun. I should have the first chapter posted tonight. My story's supposed to be sad, but the Sim is having so much fun on her adventure, that I think a little happiness will sneak in!

EDIT: And here's the first chapter: Shift 1: Far Away

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    So I'm guessing briefly going on your home lot because the teen has school doesn't count, right? Since it teleports you there automatically when you send them.
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    I might give this a try, maybe even create a story for it as i plan my ambrosia story (:
  • Niemalyn97Niemalyn97 Posts: 76 Member
    This looks cool. :smiley: I'll definitely try it eventually and I'm going to read your story now.
    Niemalyn97 wrote: »
    This looks cool. :smiley: I'll definitely try it eventually and I'm going to read your story now.

Oh, awesome! I'd love to hear how it goes for you when you try it! I had a lot of fun playing it last night.
    I might give this a try, maybe even create a story for it as i plan my ambrosia story (:

Awesome! It's super quick--just 52 Sim days--and very low-key and easy, so it's a good side story while other longer, more complicated ones are being worked on.
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Oh, yeah! That automatic teleporting is fine! It's fine to hang out on the home lot neighborhood, too. The teen just can't live or do activities on the home lot. Thanks for bringing up this point!

Those afterschool moments offer great opportunities for saving, too!

Posted chapter 2! Shift 2: Haven

edited October 2016
    Nevermind i found out the answer haha
    Post edited by WiggleyTuff on
    Can the YOTO shelter contain anything that i want it to have or is there limits to it? And how would you level up gardening without the chance of being able to have a garden? Or can you have a garden at the YOTO shelter, would that work if its a community lot?
    Can the YOTO shelter contain anything that i want it to have or is there limits to it? And how would you level up gardening without the chance of being able to have a garden? Or can you have a garden at the YOTO shelter, would that work if its a community lot?

The shelter can contain anything !

Your Sim can garden in any of the community lots or at others' houses... The Botanist aspiration wouldn't be possible . ..

Awwh sad, i like gardening haha
    Awwh sad, i like gardening haha

But you can garden at the community lots or other people's houses!

And... I have another chapter! I'm caught up with the writing, which makes me happy because it means I get to play the game!

Here's chapter 3: Shift 3: Others

Do you start with nothing or can you have a few things to start with?
    Do you start with nothing or can you have a few things to start with?

You can buy anything that will go in your inventory! I bought a cooler, a Gordian cot, a violin, a tablet (wish we had laptops!), a lump of clay, a digital camera, a boom box, a yoga mat, and a meditation stool...

If you wanted an "extreme version," you could start with nothing--and reduce funds to 0.

But I left the funds as they were and loaded up the personal inventory with all those goodies! :)

You do know there are a lot of aspirations you cannot do cuz you need to own things or go to work/adult =P though there are alot of skills you can do i guess haha
  • KittybitKittybit Posts: 97 Member
    I really like the idea of this change. At first I thought it said YOLO B) I haven't done any challenges yet, but whenever I muster up the courage to do one, I think I'd like to try this. Also I read your first chapter and it made me smile. The conversation with the girl on the bench was so realistic, despite her doing a little rambling to try to sound normal lol. Off to read next chapter now :)
    banner.png
    You do know there are a lot of aspirations you cannot do cuz you need to own things or go to work/adult =P though there are alot of skills you can do i guess haha

This is so true! It's that way with the Wonder Child challenge, "Mooch off Your Neighbor", "The Room" and any challenge that has age or other restrictions! There should still be plenty of aspirations to complete for a busy teen, plus, like you say, all those skills! And, considering the school-attendance restriction (the requirement to take vacations, sick days, and play hooky), even earning an A will be a huge challenge!

Kittybit wrote: »
    I really like the idea of this change. At first I thought it said YOLO B) I haven't done any challenges yet, but whenever I muster up the courage to do one, I think I'd like to try this. Also I read your first chapter and it made me smile. The conversation with the girl on the bench was so realistic, despite her doing a little rambling to try to sound normal lol. Off to read next chapter now :)

Thanks so much! I'm having a blast with the challenge, and for some reason, writing the story is really helping me to explore a story a want to tell, so it's very fun.

This is a great challenge to start with since it's relatively short (only 52 Sim days), you only need to control one Sim, and it's a great way to explore the world!

I'm so looking forward to seeing how the lot traits affect the story, and once I get City Life, it will be interesting to see the teen's adventures there!

• KittybitKittybit Posts: 97 Member
    That's where I was thinking of putting my teen if I jump into it. I think having a teen roam the big city makes sense since they can sorta "disappear" in the crowd, you know? I love creation, cas and building and there seems to be some flexibility with it due to the youth center? Unless the center has to be in a very specific way in regards to building etc.

I love how you're wording your story, it's very inspiring. :)
    banner.png
    Here's the next chapter! Shift 4: Not a Boy
    Kittybit wrote: »
    That's where I was thinking of putting my teen if I jump into it. I think having a teen roam the big city makes sense since they can sorta "disappear" in the crowd, you know? I love creation, cas and building and there seems to be some flexibility with it due to the youth center? Unless the center has to be in a very specific way in regards to building etc.

I love how you're wording your story, it's very inspiring. :)

The Youth Center is wide open! Really, there are no restrictions with it!

I didn't specify in the Rules if we can modify existing community lots or not... I think I want to leave that to the player to decide.

Thanks for your kind comments about my story! I'm having a blast playing it, because it's a fun challenge, and I'm having even more fun writing it. When I was a kid, I was always drawn to runaway stories, like "My Side of the Mountain," so I think I'm feeling those old pulls. It's really capturing my imagination! :)

• TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    I really like this Challenge! Adding it to my to-do list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top