Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Relationship Decay Been Fixed

I tried to find a current subject about this in search but what popped up is over a year old.

I need to know if there is any proof in code this has been tweaked to a reasonable level if you play rotationally. Not if you think so or if it never happened to you because you play one household and never on rotation. Thank you.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I've heard there's been some tweaks, but none of them seem to have fixed the extra aggressive culling from June.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I've heard there's been some tweaks, but none of them seem to have fixed the extra aggressive culling from June.

Do you mean decay or relationship culling? I noticed Sims so far still know each other in my game that has been patched, however, I'm unable to build those relationships back up. The bars for friends and romantic are still there but even after spending a full day with them it didn't move the needle very much. I was wondering if I start over again, if the decay is stopped in a new game?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    It depends on what you consider "fixed".

Relationship culling deletes :
    - relationships between two unplayed Sims
    - relationships between played and unplayed Sims or between two played Sims, but only when you have more than 35 relationships and it's not a "protected" one (like mother, father, etc)

Relationship decay for all active Sims but only between -20 and 20.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited October 2016
    FWIW, in the chat before today's liveplay, @SimGuruGrant said this about all these mechanics:
    It's literally something we work on and think about daily. It's a top priority for us. We devote significant resources to it.

Also he said "You guys are dirty, dirty people," but unrelated. I just wanted to post that.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    FWIW, in the chat before today's liveplay, @SimGuruGrant said this about all these mechanics:
    It's literally something we work on and think about daily. It's a top priority for us. We devote significant resources to it.

Also he said "You guys are dirty, dirty people," but unrelated. I just wanted to post that.
    When he apologized for his own chest hair I thought how nice it would be to have that hair in-game!
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

Isn't that the same, or similar, to what was said about toddlers??? :( They should remove relationship decay/culling completely. It was put in, it can get taken out.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2016

It's because we want more woohoo spots. He suggested buying the other packs for them. I have all ownable woohoo spots. I need moar.

Need somewhere suitable for each lot type. All that flirty date energy gets wasted unless there is a hot tub, closet, tent, rocket, bed or bush on the lot. They don't work everywhere.

Hopefully we'll get proper elevators in a future pack and they add it in there. Or shower woohoo back (great for pools and gyms along with the hot tub as well as an at-home staple).
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't think removing it is the best answer as there are a lot of relations my sims would have but not need or even care to keep. I think tweaking it so relationship culling only happens when 2 sims have anywhere from the mentioned (-20)-20 relationship and neither have spoken to each other for several days. Sorta like RL you meet people everyday but after a couple of days you forget them if they don't make some impact on your life. Impacts could be working in the same line of work, once were friends, enemies, or romantically involved. Probably a few others but overall I don't want or need my sim to remember the bartender they met 2 week ago and haven't spoken to since.
    Neia wrote: »

- relationships between played and unplayed Sims or between two played Sims, but only when you have more than 35 relationships and it's not a "protected" one (like mother, father, etc)

O.K. thanks @Neia. So, no more than thirty five relationships between played and non played. I don't need that many but I wonder why they don't stop adding more and removing my own I started? (in the past months) because if they keep adding false relationships/meeting etc. that could quickly knock out my own, right?

What does -20 and 20 mean about decay, please. Can you break that down for me what you mean by that?
    Cinebar wrote: »

O.K. thanks @Neia. So, no more than thirty five relationships between played and non played. I don't need that many but I wonder why they don't stop adding more and removing my own I started? (in the past months) because if they keep adding false relationships/meeting etc. that could quickly knock out my own, right?

What does -20 and 20 mean about decay, please. Can you break that down for me what you mean by that?

Relationships with a score closer to 0 are deleted first, so that should keep the one you spent some time on. Especially combined with the decay change.

-20/20 is the relationship score, how low/high you are in the bar.

Relationships with a score closer to 0 are deleted first, so that should keep the one you spent some time on. Especially combined with the decay change.

-20/20 is the relationship score, how low/high you are in the bar.

Do you have any idea if the relationship is about half (friends) how many Sim days it will take for that to decay? I like to rotate and may stay away from some Sims about three Sim days etc.

Also, If I'm able to build up a household (six to eight Sims) but some not kin to all, how fast those friendships will decay in your opinion?
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    So basically relationships above 20, or below -20 don't decay now? Do I understand it right?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

edited October 2016
    Yes friends and above, or enemies, won't decay

ETA : That's for the played but not currently active Sims.
    Post edited by Neia on
    Yes friends and above, or enemies, won't decay

Thanks for answering us! That is good or better news!
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I also play by rotation , my sim is in a fishing club and by the time I get around to playing that household he needs to reintroduce himself to a few of the members. They were just mere acquaintances so that's probably why.
    Laugh out loud. Often
    edited October 2016
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    I also play by rotation , my sim is in a fishing club and by the time I get around to playing that household he needs to reintroduce himself to a few of the members. They were just mere acquaintances so that's probably why.

How do we know what is above twenty (20) points? I only know the meters when they are completely full at 100%. Anything below that I'm only guessing. ETA: Is there a marker on the meter that says 20%?
    edited October 2016

How do we know what is above twenty (20) points? I only know the meters when they are completely full at 100%. Anything below that I'm only guessing. ETA: Is there a marker on the meter that says 20%?

20% would be a fifth full. Hard to see accurately by eye, so aim for quarter full (easier to work out) and that gives you some leeway.

You could also make yourself a paper "ruler" that marks 0/20/100% . Hold it up to the screen to check when needed.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

20% would be a fifth full. Hard to see accurately by eye, so aim for quarter full (easier to work out) and that gives you some leeway.

I hope so, because I did it before like that (before the patch) and they still decayed. One reason I stopped playing.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I don't think removing it is the best answer as there are a lot of relations my sims would have but not need or even care to keep. I think tweaking it so relationship culling only happens when 2 sims have anywhere from the mentioned (-20)-20 relationship and neither have spoken to each other for several days. Sorta like RL you meet people everyday but after a couple of days you forget them if they don't make some impact on your life. Impacts could be working in the same line of work, once were friends, enemies, or romantically involved. Probably a few others but overall I don't want or need my sim to remember the bartender they met 2 week ago and haven't spoken to since.

That would work well for single household playstyle, but not so for rotational. Let's say I play a five families, each for two days only. When I return to the first family the game thinks they haven't spoken to their friends for eight days, so all their relationships would have lowered/culled for "lack of contact". But I had no chance to maintain that contact in the first place, because I wasn't playing them at all. If I had played them actively and failed to keep up relationships, fine, then it's my own fault they vanish. But while I don't play a household everything concerning that household should be frozen.
    edited October 2016

That would work well for single household playstyle, but not so for rotational. Let's say I play a five families, each for two days only. When I return to the first family the game thinks they haven't spoken to their friends for eight days, so all their relationships would have lowered/culled for "lack of contact". But I had no chance to maintain that contact in the first place, because I wasn't playing them at all. If I had played them actively and failed to keep up relationships, fine, then it's my own fault they vanish. But while I don't play a household everything concerning that household should be frozen.

I agree they should be frozen (the relationships) like they are in TS2. If I return Sherlock is still best friends with Watson. If I go play someone else for awhile they are still friends when I get back in TS2.

I don't understand this when the game constantly adds new unwanted friendships to my Sims panel in TS4. I rather it left off the fake ones and kept mine intact. I should pick who becomes my Sims' friends or not.

It's even worse if you play rotationally and rotate weekly. I currently have a 4 household game like this, so it's 3 weeks of neglect before I see the first family again.

I do put them in couples/family clubs as well as hobby clubs, but those clubs are only likely to gather and interact if you go to the right venues, so relationship maintenance is unpredictable.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I tried to find a current subject about this in search but what popped up is over a year old.

I need to know if there is any proof in code this has been tweaked to a reasonable level if you play rotationally. Not if you think so or if it never happened to you because you play one household and never on rotation. Thank you.

I asked today during the stream, cause it's my worry that it might be bad the City Living features that involve the relations with the neighbors and they did answer that they was working on it so we will see.
    gCQKjq4.png
    The -20/20 rule is for the played but not currently active Sims. The household you are currently playing with does not follow that rule, it decays like it did before. Just adding this because my previous posts could have been misleading :)

The bar goes from -100 to 100 with 0 when there's no color. The safest solution is to aim for the friend status I think, there could be negative interactions happening while you're away (like if one of the Sims is angry) and that could put you below 20 if you were to close to it. It depends on how much you care about this relation too.
  • lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »

I asked today during the stream, cause it's my worry that it might be bad the City Living features that involve the relations with the neighbors and they did answer that they was working on it so we will see.

Good to know!
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited October 2016
    Can't they simply have NO relationship culling for: Family members, Spouses + girl/boyfriends and Good friends. I don't mind if other relationships get culled. I had three sims live together for a time, and their friendship bar was full. Then when one moved out, after a while, that one sim no longer knew his old flatmates, that's just ridiculous.
    Or have an option to turn off Culling and Relationship culling. It's not that difficult, then it's the responsibility of the player whether any lagging results from this.
    I know I have Relationship culling, and Culling mods to stop this, and my game works just fine - at least give us the option to turn them off.