Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

game crashes? idk why?

iridescentiridescent Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2016 in Mac - Technical Discussions
I have a macbook air and recently (before the last patch, too) my game has been crashing constantly. it's very frustrating and i don't think that the 50/50 method would work because sometimes i can play for a few hours until it crashes. i dont really want to give up mods though! help?

also i have repaired my game twice and i did the "reinstall" folder thing, but it hasnt helped

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    You can't move threads but next time Mac questions are better off in the Mac Tech section.
    @igazor @BluebellFlora might be able to help.

Mods and custom content (CC) are two different things. CC is stuff like hair, clothes, etc... Mods are things like garden faster, lower bills, etc... Both can break with patches. Mods tend to be the cause of bigger issues like the game refusing to launch or certain interactions not working. So eventually you will need to update broken mods. Broken CC is just annoying and will appear invisible. However game crashing randomly is most likely hardware but I know nothing about Macs so I tagged others here.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi there. I'm sure it would help @BluebellFlora if you could mention which MacBook Air you have -- from About This Mac on the Apple Menu, model, processor, RAM, graphics. Other than that I'm going to be pretty useless here as @Simasaurus09 seems to have forgotten that I don't have or play TS4. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm sure it would help @BluebellFlora if you could mention which MacBook Air you have -- from About This Mac on the Apple Menu, model, processor, RAM, graphics. Other than that I'm going to be pretty useless here as @Simasaurus09 seems to have forgotten that I don't have or play TS4. :/
    doh.. didn't even think about that. I just saw Mac and thought of you. :D Don't you feel special at least?

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    iridescent wrote: »
    I have a macbook air and recently (before the last patch, too) my game has been crashing constantly. it's very frustrating and i don't think that the 50/50 method would work because sometimes i can play for a few hours until it crashes. i dont really want to give up mods though! help?

also i have repaired my game twice and i did the "reinstall" folder thing, but it hasnt helped

How big is your Saves folder? Highlight it, hold down CMD and press i. In the window that pops up you should see the size in Mb (this may also show up in Finder, depending on your Finder settings). MBA's aren't very powerful so depending on how big your saves folder is, how big your Mods folder is (repeat the process above to find out), if you have any out of date Mods/CC, and how much RAM you have installed on your Mac, your machine is probably starting to struggle to play the game properly.

But yes, as @igazor has asked, please provide more information about your Mac.

apple-signature.png
  • iridescentiridescent Posts: 35 Member
    sorry it took me so long

macbook air, 13-inch, early 2014
    processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
  • iridescentiridescent Posts: 35 Member
    @BluebellFlora my saves folder is 98.3 MB and my mods are 1.16 GB
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Honestly, the problem may just be because of the machine itself. As stated, Macbook Airs are EXTREMELY underpowered for gaming. Like, I can't even put it into words how weak they are. For comparison, consider that a normal desktop-class graphics card typically uses around 150W of power to run, and that's JUST graphics card. On a MBA, the entire machine is running off of 45W. They are not supposed to be used for 3D gaming like TS4. They simply don't have the power, in any capacity. When it crashes, that's your sign that something is wrong. Continuing to try to play the game on such a low end machine may cause irreparable damage to it. :(
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • JohnnyGarlandJohnnyGarland Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi all :)

I would start my own topic but I'm a new member, so I'm sorry if I'm infringing on anyone >.<

I just recently brought Sims 4 on my Mac, day before yesterday, and when I downloaded it it worked fine, made a guy played him for a few hours.

However since I reopened the game after that the game keeps closing/crashing. It could be when I'm loading, saving, building a lot, just regularly playing. I've looked through what could do it, I uninstalled and reinstalled Origin (deleting all the ones in The Library too), I've repaired, tried updating. I've tried near enough everything that's been suggested other than uninstall and reinstall the game.

I have an iMac OS C El Capitan
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB

Could someone please help me as it's getting to the point that I can't really do much incase it crashes the game :/
    Hi all :)

I would start my own topic but I'm a new member, so I'm sorry if I'm infringing on anyone >.<

I just recently brought Sims 4 on my Mac, day before yesterday, and when I downloaded it it worked fine, made a guy played him for a few hours.

However since I reopened the game after that the game keeps closing/crashing. It could be when I'm loading, saving, building a lot, just regularly playing. I've looked through what could do it, I uninstalled and reinstalled Origin (deleting all the ones in The Library too), I've repaired, tried updating. I've tried near enough everything that's been suggested other than uninstall and reinstall the game.

I have an iMac OS C El Capitan
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB

Could someone please help me as it's getting to the point that I can't really do much incase it crashes the game :/

It's your NVIDIA GPU and El Capitan, it's a known issue with the game on your setup. Either update your driver manually from NVIDIA's site (not normal practice but does fix the issue) or upgrade to Sierra 10.12 :)
    apple-signature.png
    Hi,

Thank you for coming back to me :)

I updated to Sierra 10.12, and just tried to play it, and it just quit again in the middle of game play, not during any load screens or anything :/ I tried to upgrade my driver manually but my one doesn't come up. I can choose NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, but for operating system there is no OS option.
    Hi,

Thank you for coming back to me :)

I updated to Sierra 10.12, and just tried to play it, and it just quit again in the middle of game play, not during any load screens or anything :/ I tried to upgrade my driver manually but my one doesn't come up. I can choose NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, but for operating system there is no OS option.

You have to choose exactly as is stated in my article as it will be beta for your OS. BUT.... the current driver seems to be buggy, it's working for some but causing kernel panics for others (myself included). This should be what's selected in the dropdowns:

209rmfc.png

Weird that upgrading hasn't worked for you though, it has for some. I'll start collecting info again and hope EA look into it.
    apple-signature.png
    Tried it and well, I played it for a good few hours and no crash, it seems to have worked, thank you so much :)
  • Kendra326Kendra326 Posts: 515 Member
    I'm also having crashes, mostly during load screens but also in general gameplay. I am wondering if I need to manually download a driver or something, as I updated on my OS to Sierra. My stats are below :)

Macbook Pro, 15-inch Mid-2012
    Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • pinkshellt4pinkshellt4 Posts: 8 New Member
    Hello,

I hope someone here can help me?

I have a late 2013 imac with plenty of RAM, storage and good graphics card. My Sims 3 was working perfectly fine till now.

I got some Sims 3 stuff packs and installed them, however they did not work. I realised I had to update my game through my sims launcher, so I unistalled my stuff packs and updated my game. I reinstalled a stuff pack and tried to start my game and it just wouldn't no matter what I tried.

So I unistalled EVERYTHING, base game and all expansions etc. I did a thorough clean out (including all those pesky hanging around little folders that dont get unistalled).

I reinstalled my Sims 3 base game only and updated so in my launcher the version states;1.67.................

This still didnt work, the launcher loaded up fine, but when I press the play button, my imac sounds and looks like its booting up the game,but it either crashes on a black screen (mouse is on the screen and able to move it) or just closes the loading screen.

I have downloaded and installed the latest 'super-patch' for imac - this didnt work

I have downloaded the Origin Application to see if that helped - nope

I am using the Discs, not the Origin downloadable Sims 3

Please could any suggest anything? I love my sims game!
  • WorkFromHomeWorkFromHome Posts: 165 Member
    I've heard it might be something to do with mods if you have any
  • pinkshellt4pinkshellt4 Posts: 8 New Member
    By 'mods' do you mean modifications? I haven't got any no. Literally just the basic base game.

Thankyou for replying!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello,

I hope someone here can help me?

I have a late 2013 imac with plenty of RAM, storage and good graphics card. My Sims 3 was working perfectly fine till now.

I got some Sims 3 stuff packs and installed them, however they did not work. I realised I had to update my game through my sims launcher, so I unistalled my stuff packs and updated my game. I reinstalled a stuff pack and tried to start my game and it just wouldn't no matter what I tried.

So I unistalled EVERYTHING, base game and all expansions etc. I did a thorough clean out (including all those pesky hanging around little folders that dont get unistalled).

I reinstalled my Sims 3 base game only and updated so in my launcher the version states;1.67.................

This still didnt work, the launcher loaded up fine, but when I press the play button, my imac sounds and looks like its booting up the game,but it either crashes on a black screen (mouse is on the screen and able to move it) or just closes the loading screen.

I have downloaded and installed the latest 'super-patch' for imac - this didnt work

I have downloaded the Origin Application to see if that helped - nope

I am using the Discs, not the Origin downloadable Sims 3

Please could any suggest anything? I love my sims game!

First of all there is a Sims 3 Mac section under Sims 3 Help. If you check there you will see that you have to download your latest Sims 3 "disk" through Origin to be able to play. 1.67 is the current Mac version of the game as no further updates were released for the Mac. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.