Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can I buy from the sims 3 store and use in steam sims 3 download?

If I have purchased the Sims 3 through steam can I still purchase from the origin store to add expansions and stuff to my game?

Comments

• Options
    napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    You can either use steam or origin. Not both. However, with both you can buy expansions and content from the store.

If you want to switch from steam to origin you'll just need to take the game codes from steam and register them with origin.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    Thankyou Napleonwrasse
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    If I have purchased the Sims 3 through steam can I still purchase from the origin store to add expansions and stuff to my game?

You can, but you cannot mix installs from both services. So, as stated above you'd have to switch to installing from Origin by registering your Steam purchases on Origin.

If you already have content from Steam, I'd just stick with them. Over the past year Steam has had better sales of TS3 expansions than Origin and frankly I'd be surprised if Origin does better in the future. Just put what you want on your Steam wish list and make sure Steam is set to email you when they go on sale.

You can still buy worlds on the Origin store (and simpoints) and stick with Steam. You'll get a code to register on the old TS3 site and you install those from the TS3 Store instead of Origin.
  • Options
    KatyaAnyaKatyaAnya Posts: 2 New Member
    If I have all my content on origin but would like to switch to steam, would I still be able to use my store content or would it be lost?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    KatyaAnya wrote: »
    If I have all my content on origin but would like to switch to steam, would I still be able to use my store content or would it be lost?
    When switching from Origin to Steam, EA Store content would need to be re-downloaded and re-installed from Purchase History on the TS3 store site. Custom content, if you have that as well, should be fine as it is.

What I did when I made this switch not long ago, after confirming that my already installed EA Store content was useless on Steam, was to pull out all of the ebc files from the DCCache Folder. These are the actual store content installs. The dbc files can stay, those are custom content. Then I was able to download and re-install all of my purchased content from scratch. It was an annoying surprise, but only took a few hours to get through it all. Others may take longer depending on their Internet connection or how much content they own.

If you already have copies of your downloaded Store content saved elsewhere, you may not need to download them all again. Or it's worth a try to re-install a few of them that way, at least, to see if it works for you.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    KatyaAnyaKatyaAnya Posts: 2 New Member
    thanks for the help!