Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Think EA/Maxis Should Re-Release "TS2: Ultimate Collection" on Origin?

SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
Just a quick question: Do you think that EA/Maxis should re-release The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection on Origin?

I say, yes. After all, there is still quite a bit of demand for the game, despite its age and the fact that you've got to run it in compatibility mode and fiddle with a few settings here and there to get it to work at its best on newer computers. I'm using a computer with Windows 10 on it myself, and to get it to run perfectly I've had to run it in compatibility mode and remove SecuROM. However, with those things taken care of, it works wonderfully! In fact, most middle-of-the-road laptops today (and probably a few cheaper ones too) likely exceed this game's recommended specs, so with just the tiniest bit of fiddling, pretty much anyone can play and fully enjoy this game these days.

Of course, they'd have to remove SecuROM from this re-release. Though, that should take them pretty much no time at all. After that's squared away, they could easily put the game out as an "On the House" special on Origin...or, better yet for their bottom line, put it out permanently for $25-$35! Compared to what most would end up paying on eBay or Amazon for used or like-new copies of the TS2 base game and expansions, $35 is pretty reasonable. Plus, EA gets to keep making a profit off of an old product which, right now, everyone is buying secondhand. And if they don't re-release through Origin, there's also GOG and Steam. Right now, they're selling all of the normal eggs their goose is laying, but throwing the golden ones in the trash.

Honestly, I think that abandoning TS2 is a big mistake for the company. It would be like SquareEnix ignoring Final Fantasy VII or Capcom never re-releasing the classic Mega Man games on disk compilations or virtual console services. This is a game that still has a fanbase, still has an active modding community, still captures enough public interest that people will hit up EA's customer service team up to 30 times to get their hands on it or take a risk buying a secondhand copy from eBay, Amazon, or a thrift store like Goodwill just for the chance to play it. It's a classic and it deserves a proper re-release. This is not only good for players/consumers, but also for the company. Sega, Capcom, SquareEnix, Konami, and several other companies are still making a profit off of their older classic titles by re-releasing them for newer platforms. This not only brings back loyal fans, but introduces a whole new generation to these games as well...people who may then go on to buy newer titles by these companies because they liked the old games so much. As it is, they're blowing it!

...But, that's just my opinion. What about you guys?
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• Options
    DeadGiveawayDeadGiveaway Posts: 13 New Member
    Finally joined the forums just for this. I agree with you.

That said, though... and I hate to sound like this, but I don't think it'll happen unless there's a really big push for it, and only when they're not busy promoting 4 and its EPs. As long as they're making $60 a pop (depending where you buy, of course), there's not really motivation (from a business perspective) to rerelease an old game. Would they make money? Sure. But if they release the old one, especially at a reduced price, I think it might take away from the sales for 3 and 4, which I know they wouldn't like. I think if anything, they might release UC for us after they've finished out 4, with all the content they intend to make for that particular installment. I imagine it'll be available for a limited time, as well, should they go this route.

I also think that if they offer it up for sale, people will expect them to start providing support again for the game, in a big way. I know you can technically still contact them for problems with 2 (though it's semi-hidden and you have to really dig to find it), but I imagine they get bugged enough about a game they no longer (seemingly) want anything to do with, except holding onto the rights to it (which they're quite known for, ask Alice fans).
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I agree. I think they should also. I do not however think they ever will. For multiple reasons, one, EA is famous for just chucking things aside when they are older. They do not care if there is still demand, they want people to buy the new shiney! Anything taking attention away from what they want you to look at, is a big no no. Which is why they do not announce more then one thing at a time, they want you focused on only what they are offering now

Two, they no longer support it. They will not go back to supporting it, because that would take time and money. They are not even investing these things in their new games, let alone a old one.

Three Securom. I don't see them going in and removing it. If they were going to they would have done it before releasing it again initially. I honestly do not know what prompted them to re-release it in the first place, it is certainly not something they do often. Especially just before the release of a new game...it makes me suspicious..
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Well, I already have the game so I'm okay either way, but some fans have missed this opportunity or many (like me) want to go back to playing it just for nostalgia. They could just make a limited offer during the anniversary or something like that. It was a successful game. They probably just don't want users to pay attention to it while they try to sell The Sims 4 and 3 and want to avoid the big amount of expansion packs on Origin that'd just confuse people.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yes, absolutely. They need to just accept that there is still much so popularity for Sims 2 and make it available for those who want it.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    The only reason I even found out about it, was I did a Google search looking for pricing just yesterday.
    I had most of the expansion packs (but not all of them) and thought it might be fun.

So that would be a yes for me.