Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality Changes without changing settings?

I was taking some pictures of my Sim and I have my settings on max. Sometimes, regardless of settings, things look blurry on my sims outfits (edges aren't straight, etc).

Well, yesterday I took some pictures of my sim for a thumbnail. The necklace looked okay (not great, but tolerable). I didn't change anything in my game. No settings, nothing. I took her this morning, to the same building, to take more screenshots, and the only thing that changed was I changed her hair (as her other hairstyle was interferring with the pose I was about to use) and the necklace looks considerably worse.

Here's her first shoot, with the necklace looking okay/tolerable.

Screenshot_242.jpg

Here's from today's picture. Notice the necklace looks really bad here.

Screenshot_244.jpg

Any idea why it is doing this? None of my settings are changed. Is there a way to fix this?
p8L4V6v.png

Comments

• GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I have no idea. Maybe the lightning? That can often change things.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I don't know. I don't really see it being a lighting issue. I restarted my game, the necklace still looked back, I took her into CAS with MasterController and changed the color of the bow in her hair, exited CAS, she never moved (as a matter of fact, she was still in the same pose I had her in before CAS, and the necklace looked like it does in the first picture, which is better than it looked before CAS.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Oh, yeah. I've also had that once. If I changed the colours (or just completely removed something) the quality of something else was suddenly much better.
  • Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    Ive had the same issue with clothes suddenly looking a lot less black etc. sometimes. I think it's a rendering problem and should be fixed by restarting your game.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    It looks like it just hadn't loaded right. Sometimes the game just gets stubborn and gets stuck on fully loading the clothes or something and leaves it at that blurry texture. Sometimes popping out to the town view and/or saving and then going back into sim view helps, gets it unstuck when it reloads (and saving just helps the game dump some of the memory it's using so it can load things easier). Sometimes you just gotta wait and hope for the best.
    That makes sense (about it not being loading completely/rendered). Because it was did look bad before CAS, then looked fine after CAS.

Thanks guys! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    Is your sim using a lot of CC? Sometimes having multiple items of CC can affect the display quality. For instance, if you have CC hair, skin, nails and makeup, there are some clothes or accessory jackets where the patterns or textures don't show up well. I've even seen it mentioned on the downloads for some items, that it will look rubbish if used with a lot of other CC.
    She does/did have CC skin, hair, and lipstick... maybe eyeshadow, too.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Try removing the necklace and re-adding it back. If that does not work try changing her hair back. Maybe the cc hair caused it?
    The necklace is part of the shirt (which is either from base game, EP/SP, or the store, as I don't download much clothing CC at all, and what pieces I do add are whole outfits generally).

You know what... I better go in game and double check that to make sure I'm not lying. I know "I" didn't add the necklace, but I never really edit necklaces or earrings in Sims 3, so if they come with those items from being randomized or whatnot, then I don't take them off, either.

Let me go check that out.
    p8L4V6v.png
    Yes, the necklace comes with the shirt. Here it is with a base game hair (and darned if I didn't forget to check if it was an EP/SP shirt or store shirt. I wanna say store shirt). I added another necklace (not sure where it came from either, oops).

In CAS

Screenshot_6.jpg

In Game

Screenshot_7.jpg
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    The top is from Town Life SP and the necklace is from Showtime EP.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    That happens to me too and it drives me to utter distraction.

p_dax_zpsngwiap4m.jpg

Sorry about the lighting, its a club, but see everything else looks nice and clear, but look at the neckline of his shirt. This kind of thing drives me mad. Sometimes it depends on how long I've been playing, sometimes its whether a sim is rendered or not and other times the game just does it because apparently it feels like it.
    It ruins pictures and I hate it.

/rants insanely.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    That happens to me too and it drives me to utter distraction.

p_dax_zpsngwiap4m.jpg

Sorry about the lighting, its a club, but see everything else looks nice and clear, but look at the neckline of his shirt. This kind of thing drives me mad. Sometimes it depends on how long I've been playing, sometimes its whether a sim is rendered or not and other times the game just does it because apparently it feels like it.
    It ruins pictures and I hate it.

/rants insanely.

but does that shirt EVER look better ?

especially the first clothes from the basegame & the work clothes too are rather low quality with smudges instead of sharp edges if they are painted only

i think with some clothing parts they are simply low quality
    with other as the OP states it must be something else
    i suppose in OP's case its the hair which might have too many stuff to load for the game which makes the game low in memory

that's why TS3 should have never been made as a 32bit game
    the game needs more memory to run properly, than it's allowed with 32bit

& btw
    that sort of smudged edges always drove me crazy, since TS1 :tongue:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA