Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are world caches supposed to be big?

I have been playing with Monte Vista for a while now (7-8 sim weeks probably) and I noticed that world caches are way too big. The Monte Vista_objects.package is 512 mb while the Monte Vista_sims.package is 511 mb. Is this normal or should I delete them and let the game generate those again? Thanks in advance :)
Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    My new hoods that I have not yet played in are pretty much that size... (I've been building in them, but no live play).
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    berginon wrote: »
    I have been playing with Monte Vista for a while now (7-8 sim weeks probably) and I noticed that world caches are way too big. The Monte Vista_objects.package is 512 mb while the Monte Vista_sims.package is 511 mb. Is this normal or should I delete them and let the game generate those again? Thanks in advance :)

Mine get that size after 5 or 6 hours of play. I usually delete world caches after each time I save and quit. :)

• Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    have2admit wrote: »

Mine get that size after 5 or 6 hours of play. I usually delete world caches after each time I save and quit. :)

Does deleting the world cache do anything to your game? Or is it like the other caches and completely harmless? Because I've always read about deleting those other cache files once in a while, but no one ever mentions the world cache even though it's really huge...
  • EisbergsEnteEisbergsEnte Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2016
    All store worlds create big files in the world cache folder, while the basegame/EP worlds don't create them at all. I have no idea why this happens.
    However, I delete all cache files after each gaming session.

Is this normal or should I delete them and let the game generate those again?
    The game generates new world cache files.
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    Does deleting the world cache do anything to your game? Or is it like the other caches and completely harmless? Because I've always read about deleting those other cache files once in a while, but no one ever mentions the world cache even though it's really huge...
    You can delete them, it's harmless.
    QNWOqEZ.jpg
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    So it's okay than, if they are big. I usually do not play any downloaded worlds, this is the first time I have ever played that much long in a downloaded world, so that's why I didn't know it. Thank you all for your replies o:)
    All store worlds create big files in the world cache folder, while the basegame/EP worlds don't create them at all. I have no idea why this happens.
    I believe that's because they have their own cache under their specific folder. For example there is a "Moonlight Falls.objectCache" in Supernatural and it is about 1.2 GB.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • baturhulyabaturhulya Posts: 198 Member
    @berginon there is no harm deleting your cache files,cause your game would create a new one.But there is also no need to if your world is not corrupted.Cause your game needs the time to recreate these files and that would impact your loading time.
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I know this is a little unrelated but I thought I would post it here too. I did make a topic about it about a month ago but I think it's been buried, lol.

Don't delete TravelDB.package because that is where your photos are stored. If that one is deleted, all the photos will be blanked.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Those sizes are perfectly normal and no, it's not necessary to delete the World Caches unless you are troubleshooting a problem.

Players on the Mac version of the game should never delete the World Caches unless they are uninstalling a world entirely, doing so will break their ongoing games in that world.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    The purpose of the world cache is so the save you're playing there can load more quickly next time you open it.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    My world caches do get that size. I only delete them if I'm trying to fix something. Deleting them has never fixed anything for me so I don't know why I bother.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I know this is a little unrelated but I thought I would post it here too. I did make a topic about it about a month ago but I think it's been buried, lol.

Don't delete TravelDB.package because that is where your photos are stored. If that one is deleted, all the photos will be blanked.

@plushtrap_107 Which makes me wonder... If I took the TravelDB.package file from my current save and started them over in a fresh save and replaced the "new" TravelDB.package with the TravelDB.package from my old save, would my sims pictures still be intact?
    p8L4V6v.png
    @ChelleJo, that's a tricky one. It sounds like it could work but I'm not sure. Thinking about my main family, a lot of their photos are of grandkids and if I started the main family off again, the grandkids wouldn't be in the new save so...would the new TravelDB.package make photos of none-existing Sims appear?

I've got to head off to bed soon but I'll give it a try tomorrow; I'm curious to see what will happen next.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited September 2016
    @plushtrap_107 Hmmm... Well, I'm pretty darn curious. If I get a chance to load up the game this evening, I'll give it a test run and post here what I find out. If you test it before me, let me know, would ya?

In my case, I have all my families graves that has passed on and all current family lives in our house, so I don't know how that will differ things.

ETA: Curiosity got the better of me. It actually does work. The greeting cards and the photo booth photos do show up. I haven't tested any other photos.
    Post edited by ChelleJo on
    p8L4V6v.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    My world Simbourne is 509.618 KB. I don't know if anyone dares play a world much larger :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @ChelleJo, awesome! That'd be crazy for the new family, as in, "Who are these strange people on our photos?"

@king_of_simcity7, isn't that half a GB? How long does it take to load your game? xD
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited September 2016
    @plushtrap_107 Loading times are not too bad. Maybe around 5-8 minutes while saving can take between 7-10 minutes.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @king_of_simcity7, aha, for somebody who grew up in the '80's, that is perfectly acceptable ;)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    have2admit wrote: »

It depends on your computer. If you are using a Mac deleting world caches will corrupt your game. If you are on Windows they can be safely deleted.
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    XP I had been deleting them after each play session .glad to know I can leave them unless I won't be playing that world or run into a problem
    Happy Simming!♥
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Deleting it for some reason broke one of my default mods and it wouldn't work until I restored the deleted file. Now I leave it alone.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    one of my caches for my building world, with only one house in it and no sims at all is 160 mb. They do get big.

I also delete my caches every couple of days. It probably isn't necessary but its part of my voodoo ritual to keep TS3 running happily voodoo-smiley-emoticon_zpsaflr01ym.gif
    I just know the minute I stop doing it, I will encounter problems.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding