Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Watchers Writing: Reading Circle

Comments

• supernatural103supernatural103 Posts: 433 Member
    @IllusoryThrall
    I'm amazed at how much you're able to get done each week! I can't even get one chapter done a week. :dizzy: How many stories have you actively worked on at one time?
    Also, no worries about getting my story done! Read at your own pace. It's 100 chapters, so it's fairly long!

@CathyTea
    Thank you. The other finch (her name's Tiffany, as in Tiffany jewelry, since she's been so expensive XD ) is doing okay. She's still eating and drinking well, which is the most important thing. Her foot's still swollen, and causing her some pain, but I think she'll be fine with time.
    I've been trying to not start any more stories, as I currently have 6 different stories saved on my computer. :tired_face: Most of my energy is going towards 4 of them, but I'll jot down notes or scenes for the others if I get ideas.
    I guess I'm just trying to decide if I want to start posting on the other 3 stories I'm working on (one of the four is the Isaacs-Goths). I keep going back and forth in my mind. I don't really want to start posting on something while I have a story that's supposed to be my main focus. But on the other hand, I'm working on them anyways, so they're already taking up time. I just don't know what I want to do. :cold_sweat:
    yaHATa3.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @IllusoryThrall
    I'm amazed at how much you're able to get done each week! I can't even get one chapter done a week. :dizzy: How many stories have you actively worked on at one time?
    Also, no worries about getting my story done! Read at your own pace. It's 100 chapters, so it's fairly long!

@CathyTea
    Thank you. The other finch (her name's Tiffany, as in Tiffany jewelry, since she's been so expensive XD ) is doing okay. She's still eating and drinking well, which is the most important thing. Her foot's still swollen, and causing her some pain, but I think she'll be fine with time.
    I've been trying to not start any more stories, as I currently have 6 different stories saved on my computer. :tired_face: Most of my energy is going towards 4 of them, but I'll jot down notes or scenes for the others if I get ideas.
    I guess I'm just trying to decide if I want to start posting on the other 3 stories I'm working on (one of the four is the Isaacs-Goths). I keep going back and forth in my mind. I don't really want to start posting on something while I have a story that's supposed to be my main focus. But on the other hand, I'm working on them anyways, so they're already taking up time. I just don't know what I want to do. :cold_sweat:

You could always draft them... then, once you've got several done, you could schedule them to be published. That way, you could write them when it fit your schedule, but to readers, it would feel like they were coming out in quick succession.

(That style doesn't work for me--I just can't schedule! But it's a way to be able to draft them without having to totally focus on them at one time.)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @IllusoryThrall

@supernatural103 Currently, I have three stories going plus the testing. The reason I've gotten so much done this week is because the testing posts are saved/scheduled from last week. I save the play tester posts for after the Switch is actually posts so I don't spoiler things if anyone is playing along. Other than that, the Drifter posts have been scheduled, too, because up until yesterday I had played a bit ahead of the posting. Once testing is done, I have three other stories to get back to, as well, so that should keep me occupied. I try to get each active story at least one update every week/two weeks. Testing should be done with at the beginning of May, and that's when I'll decide what I'm doing with my other stories (that are on hiatus now because of the testing). I'm hoping to pick them all back up, but we'll see. I'm considering either restarting or ditching one of them because it's just not all that interesting and I haven't really connected with the family yet.
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    I'm sorry I kind of dropped out. I'm busy with work and seed beads and doing household stuff and my favourite rat is probably not going to live another week, and I can't seem to find any time in the day for anything else...
    I'm sorry I kind of dropped out. I'm busy with work and seed beads and doing household stuff and my favourite rat is probably not going to live another week, and I can't seem to find any time in the day for anything else...

Been thinking about you and missing you . Sending love to you and the rat. You know we'll keep your chair open for you when you can swing by again! All the best !

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @supernatural103 I'm glad to hear Tiffany's doing OK! Hope she continues to recover well!

I wanted to ask you all something: in the main Reading Circle thread, there's a question about which circles are open for casual visitors and lurkers to join in conversations when the topic is interesting to them. How do you all feel about this?

I am open to it, myself, as I love to have everyone participate who wants to! At the same time, I very much want to do what the majority of our circle wants, so I'm easy! :)

• IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    I'm open to casual members, I see this group as pretty casual anyway. But then, I'm also pretty easy-going.
    It's an open forum! It's not like it's some special secret password protected mailing list, or something. If somebody sees a discussion going on and wants to join, they should feel free to do so. But there should be no commitment in following the stories of 'casual members'. It would be too much.
  • ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm cool with lurkers :) *waves at people who may or may not be there*
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
    I finally took some time today to play the game and write a bit.
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @IllusoryThrall

@CathyTea

You could always draft them... then, once you've got several done, you could schedule them to be published. That way, you could write them when it fit your schedule, but to readers, it would feel like they were coming out in quick succession.

(That style doesn't work for me--I just can't schedule! But it's a way to be able to draft them without having to totally focus on them at one time.)

Thanks for the suggestion! I might give that a try. I don't know if I'd be able to schedule it well, though. Time-management is definitely not one of my strong suits! XD
    @supernatural103 I'm glad to hear Tiffany's doing OK! Hope she continues to recover well!

I wanted to ask you all something: in the main Reading Circle thread, there's a question about which circles are open for casual visitors and lurkers to join in conversations when the topic is interesting to them. How do you all feel about this?

I am open to it, myself, as I love to have everyone participate who wants to! At the same time, I very much want to do what the majority of our circle wants, so I'm easy! :)

I'm defenitly open to any participants! Though I agree with @DeiraShadeweaver about commitment to 'casual members' stories. It might get to be too much reading to handle.
    yaHATa3.png
    @DeiraShadeweaver @supernatural103 Yeah, I think the idea with casual visitors/lurkers would be that there would be no expectation whatsoever that we read or keep up with their stories. They'd be welcome house guests who could join in the conversation, not circle members whose work we read and keep up with.

Also, seems like everybody must be really busy these days! I know I am. I think my busyness will continue until maybe June? Then it will pick up again in the fall. Whoo-boy!

@DeiraShadeweaver @supernatural103 Yeah, I think the idea with casual visitors/lurkers would be that there would be no expectation whatsoever that we read or keep up with their stories. They'd be welcome house guests who could join in the conversation, not circle members whose work we read and keep up with.

Also, seems like everybody must be really busy these days! I know I am. I think my busyness will continue until maybe June? Then it will pick up again in the fall. Whoo-boy!

Okay, that makes sense! I'm open to having house guests! XD

I know I've been really busy! Papers, exams, and other projects have been taking up all my time! I'm so ready to be done with school. Counting down the days until summer break!

I was able to get a short chapter up for my Isaacs-Goths! Find it here: 1.11 The Bluffs
    yaHATa3.png
    @supernatural103 How long until you're done with school?
    @DeiraShadeweaver I believe the 2nd week of May.
    yaHATa3.png
    It is done: I started a Drifter Challenge.

I will write a story about it, I guess. I will play in advance, though. I won't write while playing like I do with the Voronov's. It won't be commentary, I'll try to have a plot. I do have a plot already.
    I mentioned it a couple of times - it's the Bone Spirit thing.

My founder is Ravi Sundancer: She's outgoing, creative, and outdoor loving - a pretty classic trait combination for me.
    ravi1.jpg

ravi2.jpg

ravi3.jpg

Ravi is the result of hitting "randomize" enough times, and she really fits the backstory I have in mind. She's an archaeologist. She came to a ghost town (I don't have a name for the town yet) to work on a digsite. Then she finds the bones and, influenced by the Bone Spirit, decides to stay even if the land and the town are told to be cursed, and nobody lives there anymore.

It is either fate or coincidence that Ravi is descended from the very tribe that once lived there. The tribe that owned the land and supposedly cursed it. The curse may be real after all, and Ravi seems to be the only one who is unaffected by it. It's a long way for her to find and acknowledge the connection between herself, the land, the bones she dug up and the long gone Sundancer Tribe.

We'll see how it goes.
    @DeiraShadeweaver She's gorgeous! And I love the backstory you have for her! Really looking forward to this. I like the style of playing first, then writing. If I start a Murkland story this summer or fall, I might try that technique.

And... speaking of Drifter challenges--I miss you and your story, @AllieMac ! Hope everything is OK with you and your family.

edited March 2017
    @DeiraShadeweaver Yay for drifters! :smiley: Funnily enough, I started one yesterday XD I'll have to read it :)
    I actually came by to say that mine has a page on my 'Challenges' site now. I played a bit more of it this evening, so I'll probably get the second chapter up tomorrow (and a new Centauri, too!)

How is everyone?
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    2.63 - Engagement
    02-63-ss06.jpg?w=700
    In which the happy news is shared!
    signature-gen-3.jpg
  • AllieMacAllieMac Posts: 925 Member
    Hi y'all! Just popping in to say hi. Welcome to Drifting @DeiraShadeweaver & @Thymeless !! I'm sure you'll get just as hooked as @IllusoryThrall and I am. :) Awww thanks so much @CathyTea. It's nice to be missed. That really made my night! I need to go back a couple of pages and get caught up on everything I've missed. But honestly I'm too exhausted tonight to be able to process anything. :)

Things have been BEYOND busy for me lately. Over the last 10 days I feel like I've been running non-stop... My lease expired on my car, so we got a loan from our bank to purchase it (which has taken at least 4 trips out to my old hometown to process the loan), my daughter & I painted her bedroom (and ceiling), I started to paint my master bathroom (the ladder is still sitting in the middle of the room and the baseboards and trim are waiting for their turn), my daughter had 3 different doctor's appointments, 2 of my dogs got sick each resulting in a trip to the vet (at separate times of course), AT&T is installing their fiber optics on my street so we're in the process of switching cable/internet companies (which requires new equip and wiring for both the TV & internet), I toured a nearby tech school with son who is interested in becoming a welder (he scored high enough on the entrance exam to qualify for a scholarship in the machinist program, unfortunately there aren't any scholarships for welders), a couple of days later after a short discussion with my husband about possibly refinancing our mortgage at some unnamed date in the near future to save on interest my husband did a little bit of digging online before work one morning and I received a surprise phone call later that day from the broker, so after countless phone calls and hours on the phone with said broker the mortgage has been pre-approved and the appraiser will be coming in 4 days to inspect the house. Did I already mention that this WASN'T necessarily something I was quite ready to tackle at this point?

So I have been cleaning like mad, running around taking care of all the loose ends, carting kids & pets to appointments, answering any and all financial questions for all the bankers, and somehow still homeschooling my daughter. Oh and did I mention we'll be traveling on April 9th to Virginia to attend my husband's nephew's retirement from the Navy? Which I'm sure you all realize that means I also have to get everything ready for the trip! And I'm sure like most married women, when I say "we got a new loan from the bank", etc. it really means I set everything up, gathered all the needed paperwork, answered all the preliminary questions etc, and then told my husband what day we'd had to drive to the bank to sign the papers. :) (I don't mean that to sound as though I'm bitter :). He works really hard to allow me to stay home with the kids and in turn I typically take care of the day-to-day stuff. There are just sometimes when I wonder which of us got the wrong end of the stick and when I REALLY miss being able to take a sick/personal day. hehe)

Anyway one way or another things will calm down from me after the inspection is done this Friday, I'm hoping to sneak in a bit of writing this week but we'll see.

I hope everyone is having fun & can't wait til I have time to fully catch up with everyone.
    OriginID: txalikat2
    Drifter Challenge Blog: https://alliemacsims.wordpress.com/
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
    @AllieMac Wow! What a whirlwind! I am glad that all the busy things--with the exception of the two dogs--are things that are gearing towards making life better, rather than responses to major challenges!

Reading what you're experiencing actually made me feel better: I'm in a super stressful area with work right now, but fortunately, the rest of my life is really quiet, so you inspired me that I can get through it! :)

When I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Man! I bet you feel like you could use a letter from Cassia right about now!" Can't you just imagine her having to go through such a busy time, too?

@DeiraShadeweaver
    She's gorgeous! 0_0 I swear, all my sims end up looking the same. So uncreative in CAS. XD Can't wait to start reading her story!

@Thymeless
    I've started reading your drifter challenge. Such an interesting character! And your latest Centauri Legacy chapter. So. Dang. CUTE!

@AllieMac
    WOW. I'm so amazed that you're working on tackling all of that at once! Hope you get through all the craziness and get a moment to yourself to be calm. How's your daughter doing? How're your dogs? Hope your inspection on Friday goes well!

On a totally unrelated note, I've made my first couples pose. It's the second pose I've attempted, and I think it turned out fairly well, considering my total lack of experience. XD
    121806f9-1f06-48e0-bf08-48aadadb5430.png
    There was a little bit of an issue with clipping (got the arms too close to the backs), and the lack of facial expression.
    60c72e42-0e6c-4c31-815a-be2877db378f.png
    da046204-d3a8-4a9a-8771-d6a35a45c2fb.png

I've also figured out how to 'recolor' pictures in the game (basically just putting a new image into existing frames). So, this is what I made.
    6a5c8e47-d8e3-42a9-93cb-1c0812cab42f.png
    I took a picture I liked from a story of everyone here, and now they're hanging up in my game. :smiley:
    I just kinda grabbed random pics that I liked, but I really want to see what your guys' favorite screenshots from your stories are! So, what's your favorite screenshot that you used in one of your stories?

And, here is the next chapter of my Isaacs-Goths! 1.12 Granite Falls

That's all for tonight. I'm off to bed, as I have Physics lab in the morning.
    yaHATa3.png
  • AllieMacAllieMac Posts: 925 Member
    @CathyTea I've definitely have been trying to channel Cassia. :) And I keep reminding myself that this will ALL be worth it in the long run. I just didn't necessarily intend to do everything within a 2 week period! LOL

We've had a lot going on and my house has suffered for it. (My husband battles with severe chronic depression, but he's recently gotten back on his medication and is doing SOO much better, and after fighting alcoholism for the past 10 years has been sober for over a year now (relates back to his depression)) I'm sooo very very proud of him. But while this was all going on, I unexpectedly lost my father 4 years ago. As I've mentioned before I'm a true "Daddy's Girl". My dad was my anchor that got me through everything, so it's been really hard for me. I think I fell into my own depression for awhile - unable to help my husband and powerless to even help myself. Needless to say while struggling with all of this, the house has been neglected over the years. But now that we're on much more solid ground, I've been slowly tackling the problem areas a room at a time, now I just have to kick it into high gear and fast!

Oh and I have almost developed a phobia in regards to anything credit related (financing loans, etc.) and about having workers inside my house. It puts me on edge anytime a repairman, etc. comes out. I feel like I'm going to be judged (with a constantly shedding Siberian Husky and a Persian cat along with 2 other pets there seems to be a constant layer of fur on things. Plus over the years the game room and spare bedroom became a dumping ground of sorts for all those odds and ends that I didn't know what to do with. The carpet upstairs is a nightmare. Those kinds of issues.)

But the positives are I'm getting my house back to a state that I'll be proud of, we've fixed our credit so I know longer have to fear those transactions, and we will start saving at least $500/month beginning in May & $800/month by July, I also got some validation from homeschooling my son from the Tech School. The recruiter said he scored higher than most of the college applicants that they had and my son has been out of school for almost 2 years now.

Added benefit is I'm too busy to dwell on my Father's passing. It will be 4 years to the day this Thursday, March 30th added to that April 2nd was my Dad's birthday, a birthday that is shared by my son (his only grandson). Needless to say, this is a very rough time for me. While I haven't been able to block it out completely, it's been a little easier to bear this week than in the past. In the past once it gets close to the end of March, I've just relived that horrific day, that gut-wrenching phone call over and over in my head until I simply can't bear to think of it any more and force the thoughts out of my head. This year when I feel that despair coming back I just put my head down and tackle another neglected area of the upstairs.

Well this has gotten way more serious than I intended and but will probably be a little insight into my writing now that I think about it. I've noticed that my stories tend to stay on the lighter/sillier side of things and I hate to have my Sims suffer for long. I wonder if this is why I play my Sims this way. :)

I think it's now time for me to go to bed. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since this all began. Too worked up about all that needs to be done and worrying about having all of these different bankers and workers inspecting my life so closely. But honestly tonight I'm just missing my Dad. He'd be so proud of all we've accomplished this year. While I believe he's aware of it, I sure wish I could tell him.

Goodnight y'all & huge hugs!!
    OriginID: txalikat2
    Drifter Challenge Blog: https://alliemacsims.wordpress.com/
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
    Oh, @AllieMac big hugs to you! I'm another girl who lost her dad--it's been 12 and a half years. When I saw my siblings and mom just a few weeks ago, my brother said a long grace for supper and gave thanks for our dad, and when we said, "Amen," I hugged my sister who was sitting next to me and we bawled as if it had been 12 days, not 12 years.

But it truly was a good cry, and for the rest of the visit the whole family felt close. That spot can never be filled, but at least that sharp knife in the heart does dissolve through time!

With your home and the visitors, just know that everybody's got something! Maybe it's the garage or a tool shed or an attic... or maybe it's just clutter inside their own selves! :) Truly, everyone's got something, and not a single person is in a place to be able to judge another!

Congrats on your son! That's such a great accomplishment.

And it's a great validation for the homeschooling, too!

Hope you get a few moments each day to relax and enjoy something beautiful.

I'll be thinking of you on Thursday and on April 2.

@AllieMac Here I am complaining of busy days but it's nothing compared to your life! I wish you all possible luck in your endeavors.

My father died when I was 11 but I still think of him often, and wonder what he would think about what I do now. His picture is on the shelf next to me and I often look at it. Sometimes I still talk to him.
    I guess, it's just the way it is.