Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So this fits in CL theme & that doesn't ?

Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
I made a post earlier talking about things City Living expansion pack is lacking & I got a couple of comments saying that the things that I listed doesn't match the theme of City Living.
My list was :

• Derivable cars & garages
  • New Life State "Vampires"
  • Bands
  • Cinemas
  • Bowling Alleys
  • Celebrity System
  • Attraction system
  • Acting / Singer career

now they showed the "Talking Toilet" in their last live stream & it looks futuristic as plum ; which made me wonder "Shouldn't this be in a futuristic kind of pack instead ?" I mean I get it , cities are supposed to be modern and stuff but not modern to a way where we have a robot toilet in it.

Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg

Comments

• papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    I like your list a lot and would have preordered that pack.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member
    We dont know about cars yet cause their saving some info for after creators camp.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    It really matters on how well those features are done. If they are like Sims 3 then hell to the no (except vampires) I'd rather not have them but if they are done very well and some of them are optional then yes. Tbh I think bowling alleys and cinemas could be better off on another pack they would just feel out of place.
  • Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    They pulled a lot of inspiration from other cultures, and so have a lot of Asian themed decor. They said that those toilets are really common in big cities in Japan(I think they said japan) so these are not "futuristic" if they are a present day thing. Those toilets are a part of the "city living" experience in Japan. So it makes sense to include them in this pack.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Talking toilets exist today.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Most of what you listed would be great though not needed but they do fit. Others like vampires don't fit as this pack focuses on city life and how cities can be a melting pot of cultures. If they did add vampires it would only be because past packs with cities added them but those packs focused on night life. Night life however has already been covered in base and enhanced with GT and now even more with CL but again CL itself doesn't focus on it.

As for acting/singing careers and a celebrity system they don't fit with the pack's theme but I they do fit with aspect of the pack especially singing as there is a singing skill but I feel like if they had done those features I would expect the pack to focus more on the glamour of living in a city and less on the cultures/communities within a city.
  • DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    A lot of this stuff came from TS3 Late Night. I don't want to sound rude but I think people have to realise that these are two different games and separate them. We've gotten stuff from City Living that didn't come in Late Night - e.g. basketball (TS3 Store), festivals (TS3 Seasons), karaoke (TS3 Showtime) and street art (TS3 University) - as well as elements that have come from Late Night.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I made a post earlier talking about things City Living expansion pack is lacking & I got a couple of comments saying that the things that I listed doesn't match the theme of City Living.
    My list was :

• Derivable cars & garages
    • New Life State "Vampires"
    • Bands
    • Cinemas
    • Bowling Alleys
    • Celebrity System
    • Attraction system
    • Acting / Singer career

now they showed the "Talking Toilet" in their last live stream & it looks futuristic as plum ; which made me wonder "Shouldn't this be in a futuristic kind of pack instead ?" I mean I get it , cities are supposed to be modern and stuff but not modern to a way where we have a robot toilet in it.

What do Vampires and Romantic/Sexual Attraction have to do with a City?
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    We dont know about cars yet cause their saving some info for after creators camp.

I'm sorry I don't think they're being added, they would have said at least something about it by now or it would have been included in the game's description.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    is it confirmed that there won't be any cinemas in CL ?

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    is it confirmed that there won't be any cinemas in CL ?

There are none on the map, so I would think they are not a part of this pack.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2016
    Cities don't have to look modern though... that's kind of why i'm not buying it anymore, the city is too modern even more me.

to me Modern Styled things comes off to me as empty, solitary, heartless.
    I look at San Myshuno and I feel exactly that.

Besides I wanted my penthouse loft to be on top of a skyscraper like so, and San Myshuno doesn't offer that.
    screen_shot_2016_09_25_at_7_38_40_am_by_mphattyboi-daixfqg.png

anyway to answer your question, I feel like a Cinema, bowling alley, and attraction system could have fit.

Again my thing with life states, I don't want them to be a side dish to a pack, they really should be a main course.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Well, about cars, San Myshuno is not a world that has any nearby roads. Every screenshot and video has shown them way off in the distance (or as part of an overpass), far beyond the boundaries of the lot. If a Sim had to drive to work from one of those lots, they'd be 1 or 2 hours late every day, impacting their performance.

If I had to guess, cars are going to be another "only useable in the EP's neighborhood" feature, just like ocean swimming will be, due to the inability to modify unroutable terrain without corrupting everyone's saves.

Bowling alleys are so 1990s, and we already have the tools to build a cinema, so what would be the point?
    wJbomAo.png
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    I'd definitely prefer a bowling alley/attraction system to the talking toilet. But I like most of the other features of CL.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    In many large cities, cars aren't necessary and are actually a burden -- you have to pay to park them in another building, you can't drive anywhere without running into a traffic jam, and in some places you might actually get taxed for contributing to pollution.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Don't forget the talking toilets ;)

screen480x480.jpeg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    to be honest I don't like the "Cultural mixture" of this expansion pack & would've loved to see it in a world travel kind of pack instead.
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    I do not like this pack, at all. It's the weakest yet, even weaker than GT imo.

It's just sad when your favourite franchise goes to 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Idk about future EP's and content but...I'm just not happy at all. If I ever buy this, only on sale for the price of a GP at the least still, it's not going to offer me anything I'd be looking forward to.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    As someone who lives downtown in a Very Big City (over 4 million), I would say that a lot of those things don't fit in a "City Living" pack for me.

Derivable cars & garages

Nope. Most people who live in the inner city don't drive much if at all. In my son's inner-city high school, only one of his whole extended friend group learned to drive. One. (My son is learning to drive in his 20s, now that he lives in a smaller town -- but they live in a downtown apartment there, too, and don't own a car.) I live in a rowhouse; we don't have a garage. Many of our neighbours have no parking at all. Many don't own cars. Cars are a great fit for a suburban or rural pack. Urban transportation is feet, bicycles, and public transit, if you don't live so far downtown that it's all full by the time it gets to you. (Yes, there are cars: they come from the suburbs. I'm a transportation nerd. I read research on that stuff for fun.)

New Life State "Vampires"

Unless the pack is about nightlife, and yet again ignores that cities are not actually all about nightlife but have vibrant daytime life, I don't see the connection. I prefer the game design choice to put in a broader range of urban life. I think there's a lot more interesting vampire lore they could draw on if they don't stuff vamps into big cities.

Bands

Sure. They could have done that. They've done it before. Maybe they'll do bands this time in a context that allows them to be more front and centre in development.

Cinemas

Meh. Sure, they could have, but they seem to have chosen things that our Sims do more actively, not passively. I'm okay with having karaoke (and a singing skill!) and basketball but not cinemas. Maybe they could do cinemas in a dating-focused pack.

Bowling Alleys

There's one bowling alley left in the inner city here. It's basically a nightclub with a few bowling lanes. All the other ones closed years ago. The nearest bowling alley is an hour-long trip on transit. Bowling alleys are a smaller-town feature, not a city one. Unless your whole view on cities is from 1970s sitcoms set in 1950s cities.

Celebrity System

Meh. I'm tired of that urban stereotype. I'd rather see that done in a separate pack with bands and movie-making and new entertainment careers, where it could be properly fleshed out and not make the city seem like it's nothing but fame and nightlife. Anyone who lives in a city knows that cities aren't really that. Much more of the time, cities are where celebrities can avoid attention. I live in a city where a lot of TV and movies are filmed. You pretty much glance at someone and maybe remember to say later in the day that such-and-such was at the vegetable store when you were, or the coffee shop (<-- true stories from my life).

Attraction system

Meh. There's no more "attraction" in a city than anywhere else. Would be a nice fit for a dating/wedding-focused pack.

Acting / Singer career

Meh. See my comments on bands and celebrity. I think these things would be much more fully developed if they weren't squashed into a city pack. And then they wouldn't be substituting for the fuller life that cities have.

If I sound a little frustrated, it's because I am. What they've put into this pack is city life. Festivals, basketball, graffiti art, a range of cultures living together - that stuff belongs here. The politics career is a welcome return, and a good fit for a "big" city: it's more often big cities that have regional/national government, not just small town stuff. The art critic career is a natural city fit. (Not so sure about social media, but okay.) I got really tired of city life being caricatured as all about nightlife and fame and fortune, and of that stuff being there when there was so much else that could have been done that felt like it would flesh out the city more.

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

I wanted a proper City EP, not the case, not interested.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,416 Member
    I think driveable cars and garages are the last things that should be in a city living pack. All the major cities I've visited, aside from some that are really just a small downtown area surrounded by sprawling suburbs with a few apartments sprinkled in, have focused more on major public transit than actual cars. When I think of cars, I think of the suburbs, not a metropolitan city.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's a sad day when the only bowling in this game is on a Wii system for our Sims. Can they get (Sims) anymore lazy with their blob sedentary lives where nothing phases them but video games? real life now days? maybe but not for everyone and people still out there bowling, for real. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this one actually feels like a "proper City EP." And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    Hahahahahahahha, that's classic ea right there, sorry buddy :D
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this feels like a proper City EP. And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

But you live in Canada. And may have lived in the US, too, or lots of cities...but we still have bowling as recreation in lots of places, and NY City is one of the areas where not many people drive, but then there are many cars in many parts of the city along with cabs..so cars are still important in many urban cities. Chicago is another, cars everywhere. Not every city is public transportation only. Certain streets or blocks may not have cars but hey, many congested big cities and very urban have cars.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.