Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm about to upgrade my operating system

So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade my OS, and since it's been a while, this is going to involve taking my Mac in to the genius bar after backing up everything. My question is -- how likely is it that I will no longer be able to play Sims 3 once I've upgraded? Does anyone have any recommendations about what works best with Sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Most who have upgraded to El Capitan, and I assume this is the same with Sierra that was just released a few days ago, find that disc authentication no longer works, they have to uninstall, and switch to an Origin for Mac digital install (no discs).

Some have found that they need to pull their TS3 game folder out of Documents to their Desktop for safekeeping thus forcing the game to create a new one in order to get things going again after an OS update, others don't seem to be so affected.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Just a question - why do you have to take your Mac to Apple to update it?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    PmlTryPmlTry Posts: 783 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Most who have upgraded to El Capitan, and I assume this is the same with Sierra that was just released a few days ago, find that disc authentication no longer works, they have to uninstall, and switch to an Origin for Mac digital install (no discs).

Would this erase all the games I've saved?

• Options
    Just a question - why do you have to take your Mac to Apple to update it?

Because my OS System is very, very out of date. My husband had the same one, and he had to go to the genius bar for his update.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PmlTry wrote: »

Would this erase all the games I've saved?

The first step for peace of mind would be to pull your TS3 game folder out of Documents to your Desktop or some other location for safekeeping, with the intention of putting it back later on. Your saved games and any installed content are in there.

I take it you are already certain that your Mac can even handle an OS upgrade? Although I suppose the Apple genius can help you figure that out before beginning.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

The first step for peace of mind would be to pull your TS3 game folder out of Documents to your Desktop or some other location for safekeeping, with the intention of putting it back later on. Your saved games and any installed content are in there.

I take it you are already certain that your Mac can even handle an OS upgrade? Although I suppose the Apple genius can help you figure that out before beginning.

That's why I'll be taking it in. Thank you for your help. I'll take your advice.
  • Options
    One more question. If I have to reinstall via Origin, will I have to log onto Origen every time to play?
  • Options
    PmlTry wrote: »
    One more question. If I have to reinstall via Origin, will I have to log onto Origen every time to play?

No, that's a Patch 1.69 (Windows only) thing. But even then, it's possible to login to Origin in offline mode.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I've installed Sierra and Sims 3 works wonderfully. No problems so far, other than the usual suspects that I fix myself. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.