Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Switching to Mac side?

Hi all! I hope this isn't really daft to ask about. I have an iMac that I have boot camped with Windows. So I've been playing Sims 4 on the windows side since it came out. But I'm thinking I'd really rather play Sims 4 on the mac side. I dislike having to get over to the Windows side just to play Sims 4. I literally do nothing else with the Windows side.

So what I'm asking is, is it a good idea for me to make the switch?

I checked and it looks like my iMac exceeds the recommended requirements. Right now I play my game on high and very high settings. I want to continue this. The only other game I've really played on my Mac side is Minecraft. And that runs beautifully but oh I worry. Would I be able to more than likely play Sims 4 on these settings on the Mac side?

I also have a 1TB hard drive and I've only used about 30% of it.
8yBxyh0.png

Thanks for any help! :smile:

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Yep, you should be able to play on high but why not try it and see? You won't have to buy the games again, just log into Origin as usual and download the Mac version.
    apple-signature.png
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    Thanks! It seemed to go okay. All working and it's pretty though there's some lag. Not sure what that's about but maybe it'll sort it's self out?
  • Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    I did manage to the play the game on high on a MacBook Pro, with the older 650M graphics. So you should be able to so, with its big brother.

But some compromise may have to be made.

The resolution could be se around 1366x768 (or 1440x900 if you have a 16:10 ratio display)
    All the settings on the left side set to high, an on the left like so: (I don't have all the english translations, so the right side of the graphics settings will be listed in the order they are shown on the display)
    • Anti aliasing setting to MEDIUM
    • 3D scene to LOW
    • Field of video to LOW
    • The three following checkboxes UNCHECKED
    From there try and experiment with the settings, see what you need to turn up, or down.
    Make sure Vertical Sync is off.
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,761 Member
    @simesmerized I was just about to ask the same question. I played on my windows boot camped side since TS4 came out and it played so well. But my HD recently crashed and I lost everything (only the windows side as I have time capsule). I would much rather play it on my Mac side as well.

What I'm curious about, and maybe you know from your experience, did your CC slow down the game at all? I played with tones of CC on my windows side and it played really smoothly. However one of the reasons I decided to go windows over mac when I first installed was I noticed a serious lag on my Mac side that didn't occur on the windows side. How are you finding it?

Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
    Sorry I'm replying back so late! Been busy with work and actually haven't had a chance to play around with my game since then. But I just played around with the settings. When I first started it up the lag was gone (I had changed settings to the high setting before I closed last time). I messed around with a few things though and figured out it was mostly edge smoothing/ anti aliasing that was causing the lag. These are the current settings:

Eaj5Y36.png

So that's just Ultra with edge smoothing changed to low. I tried medium and it still lagged. I'm not super happy with it at low but honestly, it doesn't look bad. Just different. I might go sneak a peek at my Windows side settings tomorrow. I just find it strange. Would edge smoothing effect everything? Like the UI lags too and the loading screen graphics. It's wierd.

@DeadFishy I too have tons of CC. Like 6gigs (oh my I didn't realize it was that high!). It doesn't seem like the CC is effecting it. The game seems to load in the same amount of time and what not.
    If you disable Post Processing Effects, and turn the resolution down, you should be able to set the Edge Smoothing to medium. The two settings on very high may need to be set to high.
    @Lunder89 I turned off Post Processing Effects and I was able to set Edge Smoothing to Medium. It looks quite a bit better! I tried setting the resolution lower though and I didn't notice a difference really so I've left it where it is. Thank you so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated.
    You are very welcome :-)