Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to upgrade my computer's video card, RAM, and maybe processor? Advice?

LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
Hello, my sister and I were missing some features of Sims 3, so I was thinking of re-installing all of Sims 3 EPs, etc. However, I know my video card and lack of RAM were never able to handle Sims 3 for long periods of time (especially with certain EPs). Having some Twallan mods did help, but the lack of NPCs and sort of blurry graphics and occasional crashing kind of killed some of my fun and made me very sad...

Having a few part time jobs, I am thinking of saving some money and buying some computer stuff.

I know I have to upgrade some parts of my computer, but I have not the faintest idea where to start. I tried some of the links in one of the pinned threads, but they seem to be dead or redirect me to Sims forum homepage...

Anyway, here is some of my computer stats from running the dxdiag thing (I don't want to overwhelm with the whole thing, so I only put the basics and display part of it):

System Information
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack

1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.160408-2045)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX6860
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/19/11 13:43:56 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 4720MB used, 11626MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BE)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_EA60174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
Shared Memory: 3085 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w1907
Monitor Id: HWP26A3
Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name:

aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.

dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1404 (English)
Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1004
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/4/2015 02:28:34, 1445224 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BFE-11CF-8771-6ACABEC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x68BE
SubSys ID: 0xEA60174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name:

oem49.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_Evergreen:15.200.1062.1004:pci

\ven_1002&dev_68be
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=

(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=

(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=

(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=

(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=

(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=

(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=

(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB

(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Any advice? Thank you. :)
~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
(She/her)
Post edited by LatinaBunny on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi, I'm glad you provided a dxdiag because what I see there is surprising. It's like it doesn't match your description of your TS3 game experience at all.

Your processor is more than fine, you have plenty of RAM, and your graphics card is mid-range from a few years ago just like mine is (yours is in the 5700 series in that line, mine is in the 6700s). Unless the hardware is actually failing from age or there are other issues not mentioned here, you should be able to run TS3 with all of the EPs you want plus a hefty helping of CC and mods on medium to high settings and not be getting the fun-killing side effects you describe.

You cut the dxdiag off before it got to your hard drive, I am assuming it's not full or wasn't at the time.

The two places you could improve things are getting an SSD if you don't already have one and upgrading the graphics card if the rest of your hardware can handle the upgrade -- we'll need an expert to weigh in on that. But I don't expect either of those things will improve TS3's performance all that dramatically, maybe the graphics card somewhat. (see edit below)
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13

You did mention NRaas mods, were Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, and Traffic among them? I can't imagine even trying to play a long-running game without those in place.

We also have a page full of tips to improve the game's performance in case you aren't familiar with this one.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance

Edit: Taking a closer look by model number at exactly where your graphics card is within the 5700 range, it looks like it might be a 5750. If so, that would indeed be your weakspot.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thank you, @igazor , for the reassurance and the link! :smile: Looks like there are some good tips there! :) Maybe my game is affected by some of those things.

I think it might be Island Paradise world giving me problems...

The game generally works well, for the most part. It's just when I go to Island Paradise is when I get some problems with some occasional freezing and some sims getting stuck for some weird reason...

I heard there is a way to get trick the computer to getting more NPCs into a public place, like bars/clubs or something? Would there be an option in Nraas mod that does this?

Oh, I did not have some of the Nraas mods you mentioned there, whoops. I'll be sure to check those out and get them, too. :smile:

Okay, I'll try downloading and reinstalling Sims 3 and EPs, and getting the Nraas mods you mentioned.

(She/her)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Whoa there, did you say Isla Paradiso? That world is design-flawed, the vast majority of players (there are some exceptions apparently) cannot run it without taking a bunch of steps to fix things up first. There are routing issues with the roads, tears between lots and sidewalks, some of the lots are placed backwards, the list goes on, all of which contribute to intolerable lag while the game engine constantly tries to reroute everyone. A computer running the defense department of a medium-sized country wouldn't be able to play an unfixed version of that world.

There must be a thousand threads on this forum describing how to fix it up, though they are more difficult to find now that they merged all the EP sub-boards together. Here's one from me not long ago, also note ciane's post right after it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15175341/#Comment_15175341

More Sims in Clubs - there's a number of ways to arrange that. Some prefer to convince their game (editing the GraphicsRules.sgr file) that their system's rating should be higher than the game "thinks" it is (this is what I did). But there are mods that can help as well. NRaas StoryProgression has settings to push sims out of their homes and into town generally, but they won't always congregate where you would expect them to.

Look for the Townies Out on the Town mod by Shimrod at the Sim's Asylum (google it, free registration required to see anything in there). Or the More Sims in Clubs (MSC) mod is also a popular choice, http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=552227
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thank you! :smile:

I checked your tips link, and I downloaded a little software to test the hard drive's "health", and it says my hard drive is "good". :smile:

So, the lag is definitely not my computer, lol! It's Isla Paradiso! XD That was my first Sims 3 expansion pack, btw. (Yes, I had base game playing excellently before that EP.)

Thank you for letting me know, @igazor and thank you for the mods and how to fix IP! :smiley:

ETA: Now I feel better to start re-downloading and re-installing Sims 3 EPs. :smile: I'll be sure to include the fixes to IP, and the important Nraas mods.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You would need to talk to @chesterbigbird should you want to upgrade your graphics card. AMD no longer supports your card but if its running ok let the computer run its coarse. Then buy a new one when the one you have dies. At that point your computer would be too old to upgrade.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Okay, thanks, @phoebebebe13 .
    :smiley:

I'll reinstall the game and EPs, fix and mod my game up, and then try playing the game with EPs later this week. :smile:

(And I will take advantage of the current Origin 50-off code for more Sims 3 stuff as well. :wink: )
    (She/her)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 Let us know how its running. chesterbigbird is on vacation but will be back tomorrow so if you still want to upgrade your card for now she can help you if your still having game issues
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes, I'll let you know how it goes, and see if I need to upgrade the card or not. :smile:

Right now, I am waiting for Origin to download the EPs... This may take a few days, lol. :lol:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Hey, again, @igazor ? Sorry to bother. :disappointed:

I'm having trouble downloading @ciane 's save files for IP.

Should I use ellacharmed's fixed IP world instead? Or is ciane's files more updated? I'm a bit confused.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    They are two different kinds of things. Is this where you are trying to download ciane's? I just tried the MediaFire links and they work for me, sorry if you're having trouble there.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag (first post on this thread)

Ciane's four file download is a Saved Game, all fixed up in a much more comprehensive way and ready to play. If you can get them downloaded, that is.

Ellacharmed's is a replacement for the underlying Isla Paradiso world file. It fixes some of the flaws on the world lot (roads, sidewalks for example), but I still found that I had to fix up the world more especially relating to four of the broken residential lots that still misbehaved for me. This was all before Ciane's solution was available.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    They are two different kinds of things. Is this where you are trying to download ciane's? I just tried the MediaFire links and they work for me, sorry if you're having trouble there.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag (first post on this thread)

Ciane's four file download is a Saved Game, all fixed up in a much more comprehensive way and ready to play. If you can get them downloaded, that is.

Ellacharmed's is a replacement for the underlying Isla Paradiso world file. It fixes some of the flaws on the world lot (roads, sidewalks for example), but I still found that I had to fix up the world more especially relating to four of the broken residential lots that still misbehaved for me. This was all before Ciane's solution was available.

Oh, okay. I'm trying again, and now the downloads are working for the first link in that first post, so far. :smile: (Sorry, my computer must have been borking out for a moment during one of the downloads.).

Going to create that new Save folder while it's downloading.

Also: I heard ellacharmed has other fixed worlds, like Hidden Springs. Would you recommend those for the other worlds? Or does @ciane have more world saves I can download?

ETA: Created the IPonlyRdy.sims3 save folder inside my Sims 3 Saves folder. :smile:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Not sure what else ciane has on offer these days, perhaps she will see these pages and respond. I use EllaCharmed's Bridgeport and a couple of others, they are great. I think there's some that are still works in progress in the sense that they fix some things while others are still being worked on but overall they all have a reputation for doing more good than any kind of harm. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Okay, started up my Sims 3 game, and I see the save file! Trying out the save with a new family right now. :smiley:

Thank you so much!! :blush:
    igazor wrote: »
    Not sure what else ciane has on offer these days, perhaps she will see these pages and respond. I use EllaCharmed's Bridgeport and a couple of others, they are great. I think there's some that are still works in progress in the sense that they fix some things while others are still being worked on but overall they all have a reputation for doing more good than any kind of harm. :)

Thanks, I'll try out the Ellacharmed's worlds, too. :smile:

ETA: The world is working well :blush:
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I use her fixed worlds. On MTS the downloads come in parts so you need to read the instructions given. Her blog is missing some of the worlds but there you will find some in a single download.

http://modthesims.info/browse.php?gs=2&f=38&showType=1&u=1515002
    https://ellacharmed.wordpress.com/
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    It was only an IP save that I shared because that World took so long to fix as it had the most changes needed.

Before playing any world, I go through and delete all the parking spots and arches in front of doorways.
    I look for platforms and stairs that can trap kittens, pups, and tots.
    I check for fencing that will trap spawning animals.
    I generally make terrain smoother in parks so sims have spots to stand and talk.
    The spa in Hidden Springs is the main lot to redo and save (or just delete).
    I also go into resorts and delete things that need NPCs, making the resort into just a community lot.
    After making changes, "save as" SVrdy or whatever world, just as I did with the IPrdy, which I shared.

Maybe I'll check my other worlds and share them in the same place at a later time.