Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Computer

Hi all! I'm getting a new computer and I need it to be able to run the Sims 3 and a couple of expansion packs as well as the Sims 4. Can anyone suggest one? My budget is $350 but I'd really like it to be $300 or less if that's possible. Thanks!

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You will not find a laptop (or desktop) that is capable of running the Sims without any issue. I recommend that you save up,

You need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops cost around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops cost around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailers).
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited September 2016
    You need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops cost around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops cost around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailers).

You probably need a gaming computer if you're playing The Sims 3 since the game is said to be demanding but The Sims 1, The Sims 2/The Sims Stories, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 can run well on non-gaming computers assuming the computer meets system requirements to play the title but don't except 60 fps and high quality graphics. In fact, I played The Sims, The Sims 2 UC, and The Sims 4 on a Dell XPS 410 with the original 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the ATI Radeon X1300 without performance issues while The Sims 3 (even without EPs/SPs) didn't run well.

Of course if you are playing other games, a gaming computer is a must since the system requirements of other titles tend to call of an NVIDIA GeFore 660 or AMD Radeon 7870, systems with Intel or AMD integrated graphics will probably not play the newer games.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • doglovernatdoglovernat Posts: 37 New Member
    I'm also looking for a new computer. I was thinking of these 3 options.

Option 1:HP Omen
    Processor:
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ with Intel® HD Graphics 530 (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
    Display:
    15.6" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
    Memory:
    16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Hard drive:
    2 TB 5400 rpm SATA; 128 GB SSD
    Secondary hard drive:
    128 GB M.2 SSD
    Option 2: MSI w/ GTX 970M
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1128 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type: SATA + Solid State Drive
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Speed: 2.6 gigahertz
    Processor Model: Intel 6th Generation Core i7
    System Memory (RAM): 16 gigabytes
    Graphics Type: Discrete
    Graphics Processing Unit/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
    Video Memory: 3000 megabytes
    Option 3: MSI GE62VR Apache Pro-02
    Display: 15.6" Full HD Non Reflection 1920x1080
    Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor (2.6-3.5GHz)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA's Latest GeForce GTX 1060 6G GDDR5
    RAM: 12GB (8GB + 4GB) DDR4 2133MHz
    Hard Drive: 128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB (7200RPM)

I'm really not open to desktops and I really want something that will play Sims 3 with most expansions and cc along with Sims 4.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @doglovernat

I would not buy HP for gaming MSI would be a better choice. Those will all run the game but playing on SSD makes the game load a lot quicker. you would need a minimum of a 250 gb ssd but 500 gb would be better especially if you download a lot of cc. Your better off with a custom laptop. Are you in the USA?
    Yes, I am in the US. However, my uncle decided to buy one for me and he's a big fan of HP computers. I would love an MSI, but I'm afraid that it's not an option. Also, my computer right now definitely doesn't have a SSD hard drive and it used to run Sims 3 (very laggy though). I just want something that has the capacity to run Sims 3 w/ cc and a few expansions (I own all of them but I don't use half of them). I'm not even sure what my budget is but I assume it is no more than $1500. If you want, you can leave some suggestions for laptops too.
    Yes, I am in the US. However, my uncle decided to buy one for me and he's a big fan of HP computers. I would love an MSI, but I'm afraid that it's not an option. Also, my computer right now definitely doesn't have a SSD hard drive and it used to run Sims 3 (very laggy though). I just want something that has the capacity to run Sims 3 w/ cc and a few expansions (I own all of them but I don't use half of them). I'm not even sure what my budget is but I assume it is no more than $1500. If you want, you can leave some suggestions for laptops too.

What eps are you playing? Pets , IP, ITF and Seasons are the most demanding eps in the game. The more eps you add the more demanding the game becomes but if you are playing any of those 4 you do need a decent gaming computer

I have two cyberpower custom desktops in my home. They charge no tax outside California so if you live outside Cali the price is what it is.

This laptop will run the whole game. With a 500 gb ssd you will have no problem with having enough room to add cc, mods, store content. The game will load much quicker on ssd too. Average 5 minutes even on a large save

This is a custom configuration. The link is good for 7 days on the price

This has a GTX 970m , A new skylake i7 processor, a 512 gb ssd plus a 1 tb hdd , 8gb of ram . It is 15.6 " laptop $1368 http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J7H7L

This is the same laptop as above only I added 16 gb of ram and it is $1452 http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J7H89

you only need 8gb of ram to run this game with windows etc. Some people like myself like to have 16 gb of ram just in case you might need it in the future or if your a heavy multi tasker
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2016
    HP is an OK brand but not for gaming even if the specs are right. They do not have the appropriate cooling for gaming. Custom is even better with that budget. Phoebe made some suggestions.

I will say that it's OK if you don't end up with a SSD however most gaming computers include them now. It's a luxury and can add to the price. I played without one for a year on my custom built desktop. Only added one because I had to reinstall. It is hard to go back after playing on one thoug but definitely not required.. With that budget you can swing it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    I usually play with Pets, Seasons, Generations, Ambitions, and University Life. Sometimes I'll add World Adventures or Late Night, but I hate Showtime so I never use that.
    Also the HP Omen is supposedly a gaming laptop. I don't know if the cooling is amazing, but I read reviews and it said that it was okay. Should I get a cooling pad to be safe?
    Also, I believe the HP Omen has 128 GB SSD, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Also the HP Omen is supposedly a gaming laptop. I don't know if the cooling is amazing, but I read reviews and it said that it was okay. Should I get a cooling pad to be safe?
    Also, I believe the HP Omen has 128 GB SSD, correct me if I'm wrong.

128 gb is not enough to run the sims on ssd . I would not buy an HP for gaming.
    I usually play with Pets, Seasons, Generations, Ambitions, and University Life. Sometimes I'll add World Adventures or Late Night, but I hate Showtime so I never use that.

If your playing pets and seasons the cyberpower laptop I posted would be a perfect choice.
    I am "presenting" all of my laptop choices to my uncle tomorrow. I found some better HP OMENs. One has 512 GB SSD + 1TB HDD. I also added the Fangbook to my options. Are they known to last long? If I can prove to him that they will last 3-5 years then I can probably get one.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I am "presenting" all of my laptop choices to my uncle tomorrow. I found some better HP OMENs. One has 512 GB SSD + 1TB HDD. I also added the Fangbook to my options. Are they known to last long? If I can prove to him that they will last 3-5 years then I can probably get one.

While HP Omens are well-built gaming systems according to reviews I've read, they are slightly a bit over-priced than the competition. :)

What is the particular graphics card in the HP Omen you are looking at? Sometimes older models are not worth it, as they are over-priced and would be better off with something else. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Again I would never buy an HP for gaming. I have owned HP for everyday use that have blown up after a year.They do not make good computers and I would never buy an HP again. Laptops in general are more fragile than desktop. They are weaker than desktop . You can't upgrade video card or processor in a laptop. Laptops eventually become throw aways. They don't sell laptop cards to the public like they sell desktop hardware. If your laptop video card or processor breaks down and they retire the hardware, you would have to buy used laptop parts and I dont recommend doing that. With a desktop they are much better for gaming. Hardware can be changed out, replaced and upgraded if the desktop has a good case with good air flow and room for upgrades. There is no guarantee that any computer will last 3 to 5 years. HP uses generic hardware that is not certified. All off the shelf computer use generic hardware. With custom you get certified hardware that meets a certain standard. Custom is always better for desktop or laptop.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I would take MSI and ASUS over HP.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

While HP Omens are well-built gaming systems according to reviews I've read, they are slightly a bit over-priced than the competition. :)

What is the particular graphics card in the HP Omen you are looking at? Sometimes older models are not worth it, as they are over-priced and would be better off with something else. :)
    The HP Omens usually have NVIDIA GTX 960M-1070M cards.
    Again I would never buy an HP for gaming. I have owned HP for everyday use that have blown up after a year.They do not make good computers and I would never buy an HP again. Laptops in general are more fragile than desktop. They are weaker than desktop . You can't upgrade video card or processor in a laptop. Laptops eventually become throw aways. They don't sell laptop cards to the public like they sell desktop hardware. If your laptop video card or processor breaks down and they retire the hardware, you would have to buy used laptop parts and I dont recommend doing that. With a desktop they are much better for gaming. Hardware can be changed out, replaced and upgraded if the desktop has a good case with good air flow and room for upgrades. There is no guarantee that any computer will last 3 to 5 years. HP uses generic hardware that is not certified. All off the shelf computer use generic hardware. With custom you get certified hardware that meets a certain standard. Custom is always better for desktop or laptop.
    I'm going to try and push the custom fangbook option because it's way cheaper than the rest of the laptops with higher specs.

The HP Omens usually have NVIDIA GTX 960M-1070M cards.
    I'm going to try and push the custom fangbook option because it's way cheaper than the rest of the laptops with higher specs.

Exactly. You want the best specs for you money. HP will overcharge.

You don't need more than a GTX 970m to run this whole game. Cyberpower will charge a little more if you want the new 1000 series but I can do a configuration for you with a 1060m if you want. Just let me know. Those links are good for 7 days. After that I would have to redo the laptops and the price may change.
    Buying it today! I also customized the ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71 laptop they have. Is 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIE SSD enough? I know you said 512 GB but isn't PCIE faster?
    It won't let me post links, sorry.
    Buying it today! I also customized the ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71 laptop they have. Is 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIE SSD enough? I know you said 512 GB but isn't PCIE faster?

I have 256 gb ssd Samsung EVO. Other things wind up on your C drive besides the game. I have to constantly clean out my C drive to make room for this game. You have to leave 50 gb free space with this game so I would go for a 500 gb ssd.
    It won't let me post links, sorry.

you can post a link just put a break in it
    Oh my! I just bought the Cyberpower laptop and i'm starting to get VERY nervous. I read quite a few reviews of terrible stories happening to people who bought from them. I already bought it and I'd feel quite stupid saying that i want to cancel the order.
    edited September 2016
    Oh my! I just bought the Cyberpower laptop and i'm starting to get VERY nervous. I read quite a few reviews of terrible stories happening to people who bought from them. I already bought it and I'd feel quite plum saying that i want to cancel the order.

I own two custom cyberpower computers, no issues. There are other people here that help in tech that have cyberpower custom. There are players in here that have bought from cyberpower no issues I have heard of either. PS in fact I helped someone a while back with a cyberpower custom and they love their laptop
    Okay, thanks for the confidence I guess. Still super anxious after reading "DO NOT BUY FROM CYBERPOWER!!!" twelve times. But being neurotic is in my nature. I think that they might screw up PCs more than laptops anyways. I'll make up some story if my uncle decides to research them himself. So embarrassing!
    I could show you 10 time more problems with HP, dell etc.. The computer you bought is under warranty. My son's cyberpower custom had an issue when he first got it. The power supply was DOA even though they tested it. They paid to ship it back to them which was a lot of money. It is a desktop full sized very large tower. My son had it back in about a week and it's perfect. He has had it a year. Mine is almost 2 years old. No issues. You can buy off the shelf and have a DOA problem. It happens now and again to all companies. If there is a problem know that they will fix it promptly.

I can tell you HP customer service most of them don't know what they are doing. they read from a book. I had one try to fix my hp old laptop. He took control of my laptop and wiped out files he was not supposed to. Messed up the whole computer. When your dealing with a custom company that makes computers specific for gaming they know there stuff

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you posted.