Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do you play the Sims?

SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
I read a thread about this earlier and I've been thinking about it for awhile now.. I feel like I should tell my reason.

I play the Sims because for a lot of different reasons. I first got into the Sims because two YouTubers I watch played it and it made me want to play as well. At first it just started as a game, but now it's much more.

First, I'll give you the weirdly deep explanation for why I play.

Honestly, it's therapeutic in a really really strange way. Part of it is because I sort of vicariously live through my sims. Sometimes I like to play my family and try to give my children all that I can give and all the things that I didn't get. I wasn't really treated well growing up, my family didn't have a whole lot of money, and I really wasn't able to discover many hobbies; so I like to allow my virtual "family" to do that.

On the other side of that, however, sometimes I like to add a little drama to my family. Sometimes I use the stuff that's happened in my life.. Like my parents divorced, so every few generations I'll have my Sim parents divorce. Sometimes I have my Sim parents fight. Or even have one of the parents treat their kids badly, have the kids hate the parents, have the parents hate the child, etc. Occasionally I do a few other dark and morbid things that I don't think I'm allowed to share on these forums.

It's basically my silly therapeutic hobby.

I do appreciate how actually strange this sounds as I type it all out, I'm sorry.

This isn't all about deep stuff, though. Sometimes my motives are different. Sometimes I like to document my legacy and I write stories to go along with just about everything. I usually use this as a way to get inspired for my fan fictions.

And my last reason, I promise I'm done here, I like to build. Well, I prefer to decorate more than build, but building is fun. It usually leaves me feeling pretty accomplished.

So what are your reasons to play the Sims? Whether they be deep, strange, or if you just play for fun, I want to hear about it!
giphy.gif

Comments

• SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I play The Sims 4 because I really like to build houses :neutral:

When I was about eight I played the first generation of The Sims and I really liked it. Then I kind of forgot about the game, also because my computer at home sucked, until The Sims 3. I had a better computer and I played the base game a lot! And now I have two bundels of The Sims 4 and Perfect Patio Stuff and I just really enjoy building in the game. Even though a lot of things imo are missing in the game, I can't stop playing it.

But I don't really think this is the kind of talk to have in the Off Topic Chat section of the forum... I still wanted to share my story though :smile:
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    I find myself doing what I feel like :D Like yesterday I felt like furnishing a house, so I downloaded a house unfurnished :D. I honestly end up on the forums more than in the game itself :D
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    Because I like it. Guess it's a sort of getaway from life. I got a bad grade at school? No problem my sims will write their homework and at least someone will be happy. I can't go on holiday abroad because I'm saving money for something else? I'll just travel to Egyipt and explore some catacombs. I'm completely antisocial? My sims aren't.
    Now that I read it it sounds really sad but the point is that the sims is basically like the internet: you can be anybody.
  • lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    @Summerjase I play the sims because it reminds me of a childhood memory. I used to play with little people. The ones i played with had round wood bodies that sometimes where green, orange,red etc.. When I saw the game the sims in 2000 I picked it up and have enojyed the series for many years until 3 came out.. Then was once again really excited 4 was coming out... Now just disappointed again... :cry:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • paige35617paige35617 Posts: 52 Member
    I play the sims because I like the escape it provides creating a new life or a new world. I also just really enjoy architecture and building (I really want a "builders" pack that gives us stuff like terrain tools, new foundations etc.).
    "Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in the rain" - Vivian Greene

tumblr_lzyx3cfbsx1ql141xo1_250.gif
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I love stories about multiple generations, and the poetry of themes recurring from one generation to the next. I had a parent die when I was young, and I like to imagine being in similar situations they went through, and what it would look like to put our lives side-by-side on two screens. Sometimes I like comparing pictures of my Sims with pictures of their older family members when they were young and seeing them act in similar ways, like they share the same spirit or something. I think in a way it satisfies my yearning for some sort of weird supernatural connection with lost family. Or it tricks my mind into thinking that's a thing that exists.

Anyway, that's why I play The Sims 2 and 3. I played The Sims 1 because I liked pretending I was rich.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • VenayVenay Posts: 59 Member
    Lifesimmer influenced me to start
  • iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    This is a question i ask myself all the time!!! :D:D
  • Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    To me, I'm still a little girl playing with her dolls, but these are virtual. I'll be honest, when Sims 1 came out I was curious, but I didn't buy it because it seemed... a little creepy to me. I don't have a nice life, I didn't have a good family life and there have been tragedies in my family, so I didn't want to play make believe with my life. That was in high school. What changed my tune was seeing some lets plays and the stories they created, the different challenges out there. So I create stories, like a digital book, or movie. I love putting differnt personalities together and through different circumstances. Oh, and dressing up my dollies :wink:
  • RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    I play because it keeps me calm and I get sad or bored so often but the sims keeps me entertained and i like building and dressing and playing houses and doing things for my own personal story purposes. I don't know but it just makes me really happy and im glad that i have it because playing it has stopped me from making some bad decisions so all in all the sims makes me happy and i love it for that reason
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    I think it's so cool you can be whoever you want to be. To me it's like a movie, and these are their lives you are playing out. It's just so fun and I love playing different people.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    You can be who your are and be free and make who you want and enjoy the game that what I think.

I play the Sims because it made me happy as a child win my life got bad :'( but then it like watching a movie but you can do more stuff in the game then real life but then come CC and yes win I learn about CC in Sims game it got more fun.

But now that I'm older and have a steady life going and work to do I ask myself why do I play the sims now?
    Because it something I enjoy doing in my spare time that and collecting amazing CC for Sims 3 and Sims 4, And watching youtubers play and make homes I could never be good at making homes seriously :D
  • ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    I play Sims Cause I like to Make Random Families And Make Wonderfull Stories out of them and i Started with Sims 1 to 4 and also console versions of Sims I just Grew to like it after a stressfull day at work or such and it always makes me smile when something great or Funny happens in my games Like my avatar picture which that sim happeend by a mistake :)
  • MarcustzbMarcustzb Posts: 140 Member
    Not about lose or win game... Maybe
    Find me via Origin, Search by my name from my profile :)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I love playing because it's about being able to tell their stories and tell the story about your town.I'm actually playing my towns with Sims 2 style rotational play in Sims 3 using tons of Mods to change how the game is played and fix issues I had before adding Mods.It's more like and ongoing game and you save your progress and paickup where you left off the next time.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • plombierparis15plombierparis15 Posts: 11 New Member
    I play it to relax after a long day most of the time. I gave up on most FPS games because I didn't like the stress that came with it.
  • cynicalbadgercynicalbadger Posts: 187 Member
    I've played it for so long now I don't know why I originally started playing (maybe it just looked like fun when I saw my cousin playing?) I play now for fun and I honestly love the genetics and speed of the game. I like hanging out with a family for decades in sim time
    Delilah1.jpg
    Blog: Fionerd | YouTube
    Who's Your Daddy?: Complete 9th May 2013
  • ClosetPrince2015ClosetPrince2015 Posts: 210 Member
    Because I love making stories
  • mysimsandi2mysimsandi2 Posts: 105 Member
    i dont know..i just like it so i keep playing till now
  • JDSimzJDSimz Posts: 791 Member
    The reason I play The Sims is because I love creating drama and stories, (seen as I'm a writer and it gives me ideas for books to write). I also love the creativity, you can do anything you put your mind to! :smile:
    Origin ID: ducklansimming
    "I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me."
    tenor.gif?itemid=9963762
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,070 Member
    edited January 2017
    I play for several reasons actually. Creating an interesting story is always a lot of fun. The game allows you fully customize a unique individual (Sim) including genetics and personality (which have always fascinated me). Playing the game is also very relaxing and a great way to unwind, especially if I've had a stressful day.
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited January 2017
    I first played it because of the customization of the sims, etc but now I play it in hopes of just keeping to one game and not switching all of the time. I always do end up making a new game though.

I also make a little storyline up for my characters to follow
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • LegaspiWeaverLegaspiWeaver Posts: 136 Member
    I play it because well...my friend played it and said I might like it so I decided to give it a try and she was right..I loved it so she let me borrow her game for a bit then I got my own and now I love it. I love it because it's really the only computer game that I actually play because I'm not really a gaming person.
  • IndustrialxGothIndustrialxGoth Posts: 84 Member
    Mostly, for me, cuz I love customizing things (esp. in a fashionable manner~) I'm also a very visual person + appreciative of art so I'm quite drawn the style, animations + particularly expressions in the game. Plus I like whenever something silly or glitchy occurs~
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I find it a break from the reality that is my life. Most of my days consist of homework and looking after my younger siblings, which isn't fun at all. When I play The Sims, I forget about everything that is giving me a banging headache and relax my body.