Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 - MBP 15" Temperature Question?

Hi All,

If you have a Macbook Pro 15" with the GT650M, GT750M, or the R9 M370X, could you please tell me how hot your laptop gets, when playing the Sims at 1920x1080, lighting Very High, and everything else on Medium / High? :)

I am looking to purchase a MacBook Pro 15" (I will wait until October to see what Apple brings out, and then decide whether I want a new one, or a used one).

It would be the best if you could provide the CPU and GPU Temperature in °C, through smcFanControl. :)

Thank you very much in advance, Alex. :)
thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png

Comments

• Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    I don't have the temperature measured, since I don't own my MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Early 2013) anymore. It had the GeForce 650M.
    But it did run so hot, it had to throttle the performance of the GPU. I ran the game in high settings at 1440x900.

However the Intel Iris Pro alone model (early 2014), which I own at work, runs at the same settings, and the fan only kicks in a little, again I havn't measured it, since I don't see the relevance. You can't play with it in your lap anyway. It needs a flat surface.

From what the initial specs about the new Intel Iris Pro graphics looks like (for the potential new MBPr 15"), it should be very powerful. Not many computers have these new graphics cards yet, so not much is known. But what there is, you can find here: NoteBookCheck - Intel Iris Pro 580

A few games have been tested on the graphics card, you can compare these results with other graphics cards testet by the website. The list is on your right.

As for the R9 M370X in the current top tier model MBPr 15", is notoriously known for heavy throttling, being completely unable to do anything task intensive without slowing to a crawl, in order to cool itself. I would advise against buying it. And go for a model with only the Intel Iris Pro.