Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

COMPARISON SIMS 4 TO SIMS 2 - CONSTRUCTIVE THREAD

fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
edited August 2016 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
What happened to the sims? The goal of this thread is to give ideas to developers for the Sims 4. Ideas coming from TS2 which is more like the new opus than TS3 (no open world). Really hope that The Sims teams will look into it :)

Hello everyone!

Have been playing The Sims 1, 2, 3 and 4 for quite a while.

Sims 1 is far away to remember, but I know I played a lot, till Sims 2 appear. It was so nice having this game in 3D. I couldn't stop playing and I've lost a lot of week-end on that game. My mother must have been so mad at me ahah ^^''

Then there was Sims 3, which was just so much fantastic with the open world. Even if they were a lot of things missing from Sims 2, Open World was enough for me to forget those. I loved it so much, being able to go anywhere without any loading screen.

Then we got Sims 4. I love the graphics. I find them beautiful, really. I know that it's not eveyrone who like those, it's comprehensible. Except the graphics, I find this new Opus pretty plain. I think that there are too much things missing. I mean, for Sims 3, even if there were thing that were not implemented from the Sims 2, I still could play it without getting bored. It's not the same thing for the Sims 4. I just get bored too fast.

So I strated playing Sims 2 again. I wanted to see the difference, this game was so far away in my memories that I must say... I'm atonished. How is it possible that I stopped playing that one ? It is just unbelievable.

I am not here to insult Sims 4. In fact, my post has the goal to let you know the little things that we had in TS2 and that we forgot. I hope that those things could be added in TS4 because they are fantastic and I have the feeling that if The Sims Team want to come back to the origins of Sims, it could help a lot to understand how.

I wont be talking about the negatives things of TS2 because this is not the goal. TS4 is mean to be the evolution of all of the others Sims games so I'll just talk about the great things that I've found out.

First of all, creating Sims.

Jewelry

There are a few things that would be great in the new game. Not sure why there never came back. First of all, the jewelry. We can already choose jewel, but we can't choose the side we want the ring, for example. It that screen capture, you can see that we can choose in which side we want it.
Sims2_EP9_2016_08_21_10_20_56_34.jpg

Personality

Next is the personality. As you can see, we can personalise it how we want. I can chose if I want my Sim really Neat, of sloppy. Shy, Lazy, serious... etc. My Sim will be really unique. I would love to see it back !
Sims2_EP9_2016_08_21_10_23_08_61.jpg

Attraction system

Do you remember that ? We could choose it what type of Sim our Sim would be attracted. There were so much of choice ! Depending what we would choose, our Sims would have affinities with others... or wouldn't fit very well with others. 2 choices of Turn-Ons and 1 Turn-Off.
Sims2_EP9_2016_08_21_10_26_07_65.jpg

I'll continue playing Sims 2, but I'm taking notes of things while doing that and I'll probably add more about gameplay. Then I ask you, what would you love to see back ?

I'll add your ideas at the end of the message.
What we would love to have

- Possibility to choose the side for the jewels (rings for example) @fabeme
- More personality. Being able to choose what our Sims really are (neat or not, shy or not, nice or not) Sliders would be a great add-on and traits could be used for others things not included is these (said outgoing sim might be a kleptomaniac, a bookworm, and a diva) @Polyrhythm @fabeme
- Have an attration system. Beeing able to say what our Sims are attracted to (blond hair, black hair) and what they dislike (non employed Sims for example) @fabeme
- Buglars @fabeme
- Serving dishes to family member and visit. The one cooking serve the plates on the table for everyone and come sit with them. @fabeme
- Waiting for food. While sim is cooking, family members sit and wait for the food. They do not take food into the fridge if someone is cooking. @fabeme
- This, the T problem... Toddlers please :)@Ciarassims
- Cars @CiaraSims
- When our sims are invited somewhere, give them time to prepare for the event. Like they'll like at X time. Then they could go to the bathroom, or just finish what they were doing. In sims 2 this is what happen. Sims call a taxi and then do other things while waiting for it. @fabeme
- In relationship panel, possibility to see when our sims are angry with others (the picture is red and you can see the red disappear little by little till they are not angry anymore @Sha2520032003
- Parents teaching their kids how to drive @Sha2520032003
- Possibility to send kids to private school. In TS2, parents received the school director and tried to convince him that their child was a good kid for its school. @Sha2520032003
- Business, Sims buy items at the cash register, can get angry if the service is not fast and can even leave and let their bags on the floor @Sha2520032003
- Sims can develops interest by doing activies, reading magazines @Mstybl95
- Animations different with Sim characteristics (Ex. : outgoing sims did the 2 finger point at others, shy sims would keep their heads down when being greeted, nice sims would be more inclined to hug) @Susim62
- Better control of neighborhoods. Sims 2 could be bigger and their was no lost of relationship @Cabelle1863
- Buy groceries, clothes, cell phones (not having a cell immediately after birth) @MemoriiValentine
- More actions for kids (Cops and Robbers; Tag; Rock, Paper, Scissors; Red Hands) @SimsLovinLycan
- Telescopes with normal size (not a building) @SimsLovinLycan
Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
Post edited by fabeme on

Comments

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Yes! The personality system was a-mazing! I loved that I could make my sims really sloppy or really neat and actually notice it. The traits in Sims 4 are very much the same, I never see an actual difference.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I really wish we could get some combo of both traits and personality sliders. While I feel traits did work better in TS3 than TS4 they were both still limited on customizability, like if you give a sim the slob trait they'll be downright nasty and you can't really make them just a bit of a slob.

I think the sliders should be their defining personality (like a sim can be somewhat outgoing, a bit lazy, and very playful), then their traits would be more like little quirks and things not covered by the slider (said outgoing sim might be a kleptomaniac, a bookworm, and a diva)
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    It would be really nice if Sims developed personalities based on how the end user treated them. For example if you allow your Sim to spend all day lounging around watching television and eating junk food, your Sim will become demotivated, lazy, and a gluten. Whereas if you put your Sim into a career and pressured for promotions your Sim might turn out short tempered, hot headed, and unfriendly. You would be able to tell what kind of Sim you've got just by experiencing the game.
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I really wish we could get some combo of both traits and personality sliders. While I feel traits did work better in TS3 than TS4 they were both still limited on customizability, like if you give a sim the slob trait they'll be downright nasty and you can't really make them just a bit of a slob.

I think the sliders should be their defining personality (like a sim can be somewhat outgoing, a bit lazy, and very playful), then their traits would be more like little quirks and things not covered by the slider (said outgoing sim might be a kleptomaniac, a bookworm, and a diva)

Love the idea of sliders ! That would be fantastic ! Also would love if we could choose the traits like you are saying. It could be so much interesting. We could create so much different sims !

Here is an add-on to my list :

The burglar !

I miss so much that one! My sims were sleeping when I heard that scary song telling me that there was an intruder.
    Sims2_EP9_2016_08_21_11_00_06_18.jpg

Serving dishes

I was really surprised about that one. I thought it was something that was added in Sims 3, but not, we had it in Sims 2 !

Wife cooked breakfast and there are 3 sims living with her. when she finished cooking, she served 2 plates on the dining table, put the main dish on the counter, took a plate and sat with her family at the table... but you know what ? And this is the other thing that would be fantastic... while she cooked/served everyone, family members just went into the kitchen and I could see the action "Waiting for food" appear by itself. They sat at the dining table and waited for food to be served in front of them and started eating immediately. This was so much for my heart... just so perfect !!! <3<3 They didn't took food in the fridge while she was cooking. They knew she was cooking and they waited for it !!!
  • Options
    A_CullerA_Culler Posts: 1,133 Member
    Yeah, I remember the jewelry in Sims 2. It had a great style to it.
    Loneliness is a tax we have to pay to atone for a certain complexity of mind.

36187445662_5c73f737ed_c.jpg
    "I have yet to find a gold so pure that it's worth it's weight in dog."
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    Would be nice if my Sim could wear a watch.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »

We can! :smile:
  • Options
    fabeme wrote: »
    [Wife cooked breakfast and there are 3 sims living with her. when she finished cooking, she served 2 plates on the dining table, put the main dish on the counter, took a plate and sat with her family at the table... but you know what ? And this is the other thing that would be fantastic... while she cooked/served everyone, family members just went into the kitchen and I could see the action "Waiting for food" appear by itself. They sat at the dining table and waited for food to be served in front of them and started eating immediately. This was so much for my heart... just so perfect !!! <3<3 They didn't took food in the fridge while she was cooking. They knew she was cooking and they waited for it !!!

OMG that's my idea of smarter Sims!

I hope TS5 has the tagline: "Smarter Sims*, realer stories!"

*(for real this time)
  • Options
    Simanite wrote: »
    [Wife cooked breakfast and there are 3 sims living with her. when she finished cooking, she served 2 plates on the dining table, put the main dish on the counter, took a plate and sat with her family at the table... but you know what ? And this is the other thing that would be fantastic... while she cooked/served everyone, family members just went into the kitchen and I could see the action "Waiting for food" appear by itself. They sat at the dining table and waited for food to be served in front of them and started eating immediately. This was so much for my heart... just so perfect !!! <3<3 They didn't took food in the fridge while she was cooking. They knew she was cooking and they waited for it !!!

OMG that's my idea of smarter Sims!

I hope TS5 has the tagline: "Smarter Sims*, realer stories!"

*(for real this time)

Yes, really ! For me, THIS is smart Sims ! I just don't understand why we don't have it anymore because this makes dinners so perfect !!
  • Options
    @Simanite Your sig made me lol!

• Options
    A_Culler wrote: »

It makes me cry. :cry:
  • Options
    xPaxion wrote: »

We can! :smile:

True, they can, but we can't choose the side we want it :(
  • Options
    A_Culler wrote: »

It makes me cry. :cry:

Don't lose hope!

• Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    The sims 2 has toddlers the sims 4 does not. The sims 2 has cars, the sims 4 does not.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

Not bad suggestion. Personally I like the traits in TS3 over the 'traditional' personality points but a slider could be quite a welcome idea in the future :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    The sims 2 has toddlers the sims 4 does not. The sims 2 has cars, the sims 4 does not.

True ;) didn't include those because it was so much a fact that I forgot xD

But then you made me remember something.

In Sims 4, when our Sims are invited somewhere, when we accept, we immediately have a loading screen. All what our sims have been doing just stop right there.

In Sims 2, my sim was invited to go downtown. She accepted and I was surprise because there was no loading screen !!! She just hang up, then called a taxi. She had the time to watch TV while waiting for the Taxi. When it came, she just left house and there was the loading screen. I really did love this.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I really miss the little details we had in TS2 (and TS3) about zodiac, favorites, turn ons/offs etc. I'm hoping they'll implement them again in patches or future content. *sigh*
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »

True ;) didn't include those because it was so much a fact that I forgot xD

But then you made me remember something.

In Sims 4, when our Sims are invited somewhere, when we accept, we immediately have a loading screen. All what our sims have been doing just stop right there.

In Sims 2, my sim was invited to go downtown. She accepted and I was surprise because there was no loading screen !!! She just hang up, then called a taxi. She had the time to watch TV while waiting for the Taxi. When it came, she just left house and there was the loading screen. I really did love this.

I actually would prefer that as well. I mean a loading screen is still a loading screen but at least you had to wait for a taxi to arrive before you went straight there. It added a sense of realism I guess?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    I've accepted the Sims 4 fate. Nothing we say matters here. Staff already has their plans for the rest of the year and possibly even forward. Have no interest in even comparing TS2, was so far away. I could understand a TS3 comparison. Laundry, cars, things like that would be nice to have in TS4 and I believe we'll get them in time.

Never cared for toddlers or open world, lots took way too long to load and I always aged up toddlers.

So I'm fine where we are. Otherwise I wouldn't play the game.
  • Options
    YungGigi wrote: »
    I've accepted the Sims 4 fate. Nothing we say matters here. Staff already has their plans for the rest of the year and possibly even forward. Have no interest in even comparing TS2, was so far away. I could understand a TS3 comparison. Laundry, cars, things like that would be nice to have in TS4 and I believe we'll get them in time.

Never cared for toddlers or open world, lots took way too long to load and I always aged up toddlers.

So I'm fine where we are. Otherwise I wouldn't play the game.

True, TS2 if far away, but I choose that one because the Sims 4 goal was to be mostly like the old Sims. They wanted to find "its" origins. TS2 had loading screen and no open world, which makes it probably mode compatible than TS3.

I'm not asking for Open World as you can see. Toddler, I would love, but since they won't answer about that, I just won't create another thread about that. I'm asking for little things that could add more fun into the game.
  • Options
    Simfreak982Simfreak982 Posts: 121 Member
    Love this thread! I remember how much I enjoyed the Sims 2. Does anyone know where I can purchase the complete collection for Mac?
  • Options
    Love this thread! I remember how much I enjoyed the Sims 2. Does anyone know where I can purchase the complete collection for Mac?

I'm not sure for mac, but I know that EA give TS2 ultimate collection if you have already bought TS2 in the past and still have the serial code. You need to call them for that.

This was a promotion 2 or 3 years ago, I got it that time, but I've heard that they still give it if you call, but depending of who you talk with, it could be more difficult. Still, I've read people telling that they still could got it with a lot of guts.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I would love to see the Sims in TS4 have more personality. & considering this is a game based on emotions I'd like to see some of the other emotions besides 'happy'. It's way too easy to go from anger to happy. If your boyfriend just cheated on you & you're hit with the moodlet for jealousy, you shouldn't be able to have a 'happy' conversation 2 seconds later. IMO this is the problem. Now in TS2 there wasn't an 'emotions' system. But I felt the Sims in this game felt the emotion they were feeling & were driven by it. If you made a Sim angry, they were 'furious' & it showed you on the relationship panel how long they would be furious with you. So there was no 'happy' conversation two seconds later. These angry Sims would be at your house every day kicking over your trashcan, stealing your newspaper, etc. I have awesome memories of creating that one robot that would zap burglars or anyone trying to kick over your trashcan lol.

I just think TS2 had so much detail, that you could easily get immersed in the game. Even though it was a 'closed' world, I remember watching my Sims open the car door to get into the car, & the car back out of the driveway. Parents could take their kids to school. You could try to get your kid into private school. Kids would bring home new friends after school. As a family player, all these little details made my gaming experience so much better. I thought the dating system was awesome, the jealousy system, etc. In OFB, I used to love the shopping bags, and customers standing in line to check out & getting angry that it was taking too long, drop their bags & storm out. Everything wasn't so 'happy, happy' all the time. Overall, it was just a great game for its time.

TS4, though not a bad game, IMO is just missing the details & depth. For me, I don't want to see everything so 'happy' all the time. I'd like relationships to be challenging. It's too easy to make friends & it's too easy for romance. I'd like to see some consequences to actions. Remember in TS2 teens sneaking out? If caught, they got a lecture of a lifetime or got grounded. My teens, & even kids for that matter, stay out all night long. Key word = detail.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I love TS2 way more than any other of the series and the reason why is very simple. It was a complex game with complex mechanics.

When it came to the sims personality, it was not just about personality points, but also interests. In that game, your actions could influence the sims interests by making them read magazines or play certain games, you could even make parents influence their kids interests by making them do certain things. That would make it so that sims that had the same personality wouldn't necessarily get along because they may not have liked the same things. They'd find conversations boring or just get argumentative. So sims could truly be unique from the get go. Then when they added in chemistry, sims could love or hate each other. There were so many options! I remember I created a "spouse" for one of my sims. I thought she was perfect for him...well, he didn't think so. LOL

Then there were the things you could do in the game. The options were near endless. OFB was obviously one of the strongest packs because it made how the game worked so diverse. Not only could you own shops, but you could use that system for other features. For example, I set up a government structure in my game. The parks, libraries, museums, schools, monuments, etc were all owned by the mayor. Once a week, I'd have sims pay "taxes" on these places using the ticket machine. That money would be used for improvements to the places. I'd also hold elections for the mayor. He'd have to host a party using the ticket machine and he'd have 4 hours to raise a certain amount of money. If he did, he could stay as mayor, but if he didn't, someone else in that career would take his place. --One thing I can say...TS2 ignited creativity. You could play right out of the box with what you were given, but there were so many more possibilities that people took advantage of.

And the systems worked no matter how you played. For example, I can have playable owners of a shop and when I visit the shop with my other families, the owner and staff are there taking care of the business and receiving the profits:

Sims2EP9%202016-05-24%2022-10-35-03_zpsau4yrb52.jpg

Things were unexpected. My family had finally earned enough for a makeover and I forgot to install the burglar alarm. Well, wouldn't you know it...that same night, a burglar broke in and stole a bunch of things. I was heartbroken for the family who worked hard for what they had.

Sims2EP9%202016-05-23%2023-09-53-86_zpsnhcf7p3b.jpg

Sim desires didn't always align with yours. I used to like it when my sim would look up at me and say...why are you making me do this?
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    All of what your saying. I have 2 and 3 installed. 3 has WAY more content. 2 is far more immersive. It never get old. Today, I realized I never created the high end beach lot log cabbins (hotel) that I wanted to. Or upgrade any of the vacation areas. Stupid Securom... anyhoo - I started building the log cabin beach lot. My mind just goes crazy in thinking "how can I use this that and the other thing to make something new". That still existed in the Sims 3, yes, but if you were a sucker for worlds like I was then you found yourself over whelmed quickly. lol

It's hard to explain the difference between 2 and 3 to those who didn't experience two, and I think that's the divide in the forums between who likes Sims 4 and who is wishing for more improvements...

Nonethless, I've always maintained (despite how bland the base game was) that it's design is awesome. I prefer the semi-open feel. I prefer lot by lot play. In Sims that could barely be possible without mods. I wish that immersion of detailing everything so beautifully (decorations, lots etc) and knowning it always is part of your game as more hoods are added. I'm adding a beach side shopping district to my pleasantview and am having a ball with it.

I do love the Sims 4 graphics. Once they reduced that sunny glow thing they had going on, I fell in love with them. The hairs got much better too - the graphics of the Sims 4 reminds me of the graphics used for the Sims 2 official trailer - which was like CGI rendered... lol but The Sims 4 reminds me of that trailer. And I love that. I love the pixar look in the Sims game. Some of the lots I've seen with high end graphics cards look like an immersive pixar game, and I find that EPIC! I really do.

I've long said maybe I should just get the Sims4 now and start building and preparing my game for playing a generation of Sims... because I know that the lots in WC, WB, OS will always be part of the game. Not like in 3 when you gave up trying to micromanage. If only the Sims 3 had the Sims 4 gallery life would have been far easier lol

But I love the Sims 2 and I love the Sims 3. Asthetically, Sims 3 is what we wished Sims 2 was - but the game play is not the same.