Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yes they were already aware of it in December .. That's kind of what I'm getting from this :)
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited August 2016
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Yes they were already aware of it in December .. That's kind of what I'm getting from this :)

Yeah in three months that list would be a year old lol smdh wow.
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Conorsim wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I just wanted to stop in here to clarify somethings about the panel:

1. Those who attend will absolutely be able to share what they learn after the panel is over.
    2. There are two portions for this panel. The first is hosted by myself and is about what goes into deciding what influencers we work with / how content creators can start building relationships with us. The second is hosted by Lyndsay and Rachel and will be giving some insight into how far we've come with The Sims 4 since launch, explaining the addition of Game Packs and what they have to offer, and what exactly goes into development for content on The Sims 4.
    3. The Q&A will be focusing solely on the above items that we discuss. We are not talking about future content, we are not making any announcements about content, and we aren't giving hints to anything.
    4. We are taking this opportunity to grow stronger relationships with our international community who sometimes feel left out of things since our North American community tends to get more opportunities for things since our studio is based here.

I hope that helps clear things up :)

Focusing on the fourth point here.

If you intend to "grow stronger relationships" then I suggest the Sims team be honest. Be honest with the community. Even if you only look at this thread you can see the amount of anger and frustration there is within the community at this time. What you're planning to do over at Gamescom is of no use to anyone, and is really, really harmful to your reputation because it's showing you are turning a complete blind eye to everything at the moment.

People are tired. People want to know stuff. You know what we want. If you have anything to say to us, make sure it is of worth. If not it is purely wasting everyone's time.

How is the knowledge of our inner workings with development and production not of use to anyone?

How is providing people who want to build their fan sites or create video content (whether streamed or pre-recorded) and potentially make it a living with the knowledge of how we can work together and opportunities they have available to them to help succeed not of use to anyone?

How is taking the time to speak to actual fans face to face and have conversations not of use to anyone?

In the context of what is happening NOW in the community, personally I don't think these issues/topics are of absolute priority. They are handy, for sure, but not when questions about toddlers, EP3, the lack of general content, and worries over the future of the franchise are asked pretty much every single day on these forums.

While it's interesting to understand the "inner workings" of development and production of the game, it would be more beneficial to know them alongside what you are actually working on .

Taking the time to "speak to actual fans face to face" is fantastic, absolutely, but about what? The new cellphone update? Please don't ignore the many, many elephants in the room. It's not doing anyone any favours.

I appreciate your replies by the way in this conversation.

• Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Shakuahi wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake - I have a question for panel, not connected to the toddlers and pets ;)
    I've just read somewhere, that 'EA might be opening for remastering their games' (article was connected to the Mass Effect series) - so obvious question - Is it possible, that somwhere in the future we'll get remastered Sims 1 or 2? That would be really awesome. :)

I have no knowledge about that quote since I tend to not know about what's going on with anything outside of Maxis. As for your question, I honestly have no idea if that would be possible but it's something I've had conversations about with different coworkers in studio while we are having lunch / on a Starbucks run. I actually got my hands on a copy of the Sims and got it to work on my PC (mostly so I can help create more throw back Thursday images for our social team) and it made me super nostalgic--also that game holds up graphicly even though it's over 16 years old.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 2016
    Terra wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake yep I agree, I think your panel at Gamescom has a very specific purpose and I think it's great that you're going all the way to Germany to reach out to a different group of Simmers. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Gamescom panel - you have made it clear what its purpose is, and I think we shouldn't expect anything out of it other than what you've stated! (Looks like we were posting about that at the same time just now.)

But the Gamescom panel's integrity isn't the biggest issue here! I stand by what I said that we can't take your claims for transparency seriously when mechanics are added unannounced. It's the same old, same old with the newest patch notes - relationship culling has been tweaked (and favourably, though I still can't play the game unmodded personally with the new levels) but there was nothing about this in the patch notes. Why, why, why??

Anything that we change intentionally that is a big change we acknowledge that in the patch notes. We don't always do that for very minor issues but there are times when things get fixed because we fixed something else so we don't always know those are fixed until after you tell us.

In regards to culling I cannot speak to it, I don't work on that part of the team. But this might hold at least some knowledge of what you are looking for: December 4 Patch Notes --please scroll to the bottom to find the culling specific portion.

@SimGuruDrake - Thanks for your response. I think you might have misunderstood my question though, and I might not have been clear enough so I will clarify here. I was already aware that the team retrospectively addressed culling in that particular instance in December 2015, and did explain some of the performance issues involved. However, this particular statement of yours really confuses me in its relevance to the issues I mentioned:

"Anything that we change intentionally that is a big change we acknowledge that in the patch notes. We don't always do that for very minor issues but there are times when things get fixed because we fixed something else so we don't always know those are fixed until after you tell us."

Do you think that the addition of culling, relationship culling, and inactive played relationship decay were "very minor issues"? Or are you trying to imply that they were not intentional changes? (I don't think you are because all mechanics have been confirmed to be intentional, but I'm just trying to understand what you've said here.)

I think that the bit you said about not knowing something got fixed because it was a side-effect of something else might relate to the recent tweak to relationship culling. Fair enough. But the heart of my concern has still not been addressed - why weren't culling, relationship culling, and inactive played relationship decay announced in the patch notes that introduced them to the game? I am hesitant to accept what you said about "very minor issues" as an answer to this question because it's difficult for me to see how the developers would think that removing Sims and their relationships from the game was a minor issue.

(ETA I meant to say 'recent tweak to relationship culling', not 'recent tweak to inactive played relationship decay' at the beginning of the last paragraph. Sorry for the mistake there.)
    Post edited by Terra on
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Oh I'd definitely redownload TS2 even if they simply updated their shaders to work nicely with modern graphics cards. Currently you have to turn off all sorts to stop black splodges.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Ok...what was the reason to take out individual memory timelines and instead just mash everything up in a pile of screenshots in the "screenshot manager"? Cause I'd love to know why.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    They consider this being "transparent and forth coming" yet we never see culling and decay changes in that patch notes...Or hear if it'll finally be tweaked, or why the game needs it in the first place aside from "performance". Everything over the past two years has been the opposite of transparent.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    @SimGuruDrake yep I agree, I think your panel at Gamescom has a very specific purpose and I think it's great that you're going all the way to Germany to reach out to a different group of Simmers. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Gamescom panel - you have made it clear what its purpose is, and I think we shouldn't expect anything out of it other than what you've stated! (Looks like we were posting about that at the same time just now.)

But the Gamescom panel's integrity isn't the biggest issue here! I stand by what I said that we can't take your claims for transparency seriously when mechanics are added unannounced. It's the same old, same old with the newest patch notes - relationship culling has been tweaked (and favourably, though I still can't play the game unmodded personally with the new levels) but there was nothing about this in the patch notes. Why, why, why??

Anything that we change intentionally that is a big change we acknowledge that in the patch notes. We don't always do that for very minor issues but there are times when things get fixed because we fixed something else so we don't always know those are fixed until after you tell us.

In regards to culling I cannot speak to it, I don't work on that part of the team. But this might hold at least some knowledge of what you are looking for: December 4 Patch Notes --please scroll to the bottom to find the culling specific portion.

@SimGuruDrake - Thanks for your response. I think you might have misunderstood my question though, and I might not have been clear enough so I will clarify here. I was already aware that the team retrospectively addressed culling in that particular instance in December 2015, and did explain some of the performance issues involved. However, this particular statement of yours really confuses me in its relevance to the issues I mentioned:

"Anything that we change intentionally that is a big change we acknowledge that in the patch notes. We don't always do that for very minor issues but there are times when things get fixed because we fixed something else so we don't always know those are fixed until after you tell us."

Do you think that the addition of culling, relationship culling, and inactive played relationship decay were "very minor issues"? Or are you trying to imply that they were not intentional changes? (I don't think you are because all mechanics have been confirmed to be intentional, but I'm just trying to understand what you've said here.)

I think that the bit you said about not knowing something got fixed because it was a side-effect of something else might relate to the recent tweak to inactive played relationship decay. Fair enough. But the heart of my concern has still not been addressed - why weren't culling, relationship culling, and inactive played relationship decay announced in the patch notes that introduced them to the game? I am hesitant to accept what you said about "very minor issues" as an answer to this question because it's difficult for me to see how the developers would think that removing Sims and their relationships from the game was a minor issue.

If we intentionally changed something that would be considered major (as in it is a big deal to the players) we would acknowledge it in the patch notes.

If there was a side effect to something that was unintentional we would wait to figure out the issue before making statements so we know all of the facts.

I can't really answer your other questions because I was not part of the team until SP1 launch and those in charge of what is now called the communications team (not sure what the team was called back then) at the time of base launch are no longer here.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Oh I'd definitely redownload TS2 even if they simply updated their shaders to work nicely with modern graphics cards. Currently you have to turn off all sorts to stop black splodges.

Inge I had good luck removing the black square under Sims in Sims 2 by lowering my options for Shadows to medium and the black square vanished.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Inge I had good luck removing the black square under Sims in Sims 2 by lowering my options for Shadows to medium and the black square vanished.

Yes, but that comes under my "turn off all sorts" comment, and since the graphics were not great even when the game was current, after trying that I decided that with all these things turned down to avoid black splodges it just didn't look appealing enough to bother playing. Hence my hopes for updated shaders.
  • Options

Yes, but that comes under my "turn off all sorts" comment, and since the graphics were not great even when the game was current, after trying that I decided that with all these things turned down to avoid black splodges it just didn't look appealing enough to bother playing. Hence my hopes for updated shaders.

Oh I totally agree with you on an update for that game as it pains me to have to turn anything down on my pc. LOL. Would love to see a 64 bit state of the art remastered version of Sims 2 - but will take what I can get so I can play the family style play I enjoy. I play Sims 2 and Sims 3 fairly equally, as I really feel left out of Sims 4 style of play - so I would love remakes on 2 and maybe even bring Sims 3 up to 64 bit too.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    In My opinion this whole thing comes down to only one problem, that the Answers that we really want , will not get answered until the items or content actually gets added in, and if they do not, then at the end of it all, we will know for sure what the game was really all bout and what the truth really was, only then we can decide at the End of this if we really want to toss our hard earned money at the next Game to come out for this franchise. that is all I am going to say bout this subject.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

This mod fixed shadows for me in TS2.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

That section was all about changes to Sim culling and townie generation. None of it informed us that a new kind of culling - relationship culling - had been introduced as well. It was that new mechanism that threw us, undoing previous gameplay. Similarly, adding relationship decay in a situation it didn't previous exist did that. (Apologies if someone else mentioned this already.)

Amen, You Go Girl, :)
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Yep i used it too, works perfect.
  • Options

Thanks for that info Emma. Good to know. Much appreciated.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Thanks, I might give that a try when I am up to reinstalling the game :)
  • Options
    InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    Thanks @EmmaVane I'm going to download that when I get home then I can down load sims 2 to my new PC!
  • Options
    MaddisMaddis Posts: 137 Member
    edited August 2016
    Now someone has to ask if the rumors about the City Pack are real :smiley: but i bet they won't answer it :wink:
    Especially after moving it to Expansion Packs...out of our eyes :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top