Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"The Sims 3 has stopped working"

I know there are countless forum questions all over the internet for this error, but I wanted some advice first hand according to my specs and what I've already tried. Firstly, the game can last 30 minutes to several hours, with no real pattern in why it then decides to stop, and I receive the error The Sims 3 has stopped working and I am forced to close. Firstly, let me state my computer specs below.

Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core i7 - 4790 CPU 3.60 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB RAM
Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 750 ti
Hardrive space: 1.82 TB
Current DIRECTX: DirectX11

I believe my computer is perfectly fine to handle The Sims 3 as it has before, this problem came out of nowhere. I do use CC and mods, but the only mods present are NRAAS updated to my current game version which is 1.67 (Not using 1.69, as I've heard bad things) and I do indeed have something NRAAS that leaves a note in my sims folder when I crash possibly telling me the reasons for it, but I cannot decipher it myself. The CC is very minimal and have tried using without it. I have all expansions except seasons.

I have already done;
Updated my graphics card (gpu)
removed cc and tried
messing around with compatibility (but changing it from windows 8 makes the game very dark)
Clean install

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi there. If NRaas ErrorTrap or the others are throwing script error logs, the place to upload and get assistance in understanding them is at NRaas. It's part of what we are there for.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
    (free registration required to upload and open up a support thread)

On your hardware, yes it is more than adequate from the sound of it. But a 750 Ti graphics card needs to have its frame rate limited or it will run wild, causing graphics issues, screen tears, crashes, and could ultimately damage your hardware. TS3 wasn't designed with the newer, more powerful cards in mind and does not have a built in frame rate limiter.

Usually this can be arranged through the Nvidia Control Panel. @Simasaurus09 has an excellent graphic that explains how. Make sure to use TS3w.exe for Patch 1.67, not TS3.exe.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15007970/#Comment_15007970

To check on your actual frame rates in-game, ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console and fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the frame rate displayed should never wander far above 60 fps (unless you have a 120Hz or higher monitor, which would be unusual). To switch the fps display off, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

You also may need to force recognition of your card, which we can help you with. But that doesn't always do any good (it does for some players) and the frame rate limiting is much more important first.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TisklyTiskly Posts: 41 Member
    Interesting, thank you very much for responding. Now that I think about it, It probably crashes when I move the camera, although I'm doing that often so I can't tell if that's a confirmed possibility, but definitely a likely possibility. I will do this now and see if it's fixed. I really hope my hardware isn't damaged, how would I know if it is? I know the game doesn't read my graphics card because when I start up, it tells me it doesn't recognise it and has set my settings for high. I optimised my ingame graphical settings with nvidia anyway later on, but as I said I'll do what that link shows now, and report back on my results, as this is the first I've heard of this fix and definitely seems like a possibility.
    If your graphics card were damaged or if it burned out your system board, you would most likely know because your computer would stop working or it would malfunction severely just doing routine things not game related. From what you have described, that probably hasn't happened.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ah ok thank you, could you explain more about they forcing the game to recognise my graphics card? would I need to do that next as the game doesn't pick mine up naturally? Sorry for the bother, I'm very new to this possible fix. Also would you say this is likely the problem for me? Is it common for people with newer graphic cards with The Sims 3 to have issues/crashing due to this? Thank you very much again!
    It's pretty common, yes though most are able to get them under control. But I'd really like to hear that you've confirmed your frame rate in-game first. Otherwise we would be "solving" the wrong problem.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Sure thing! Will update as soon as possible, computer is just updating itself. One more question before I go off and try this, how long should I try out the game to know for sure it doesn't go over 60fps, will moving my camera around for a bit and playing the game for a few minutes while evaluating my fps count be enough to say it's not going over 60, or would i need to play for much longer to make sure?
    Usually a few minutes should do it. Try out CAS or Edit Town if you like, but if it stays under or around 60 throughout then some form of limiting is working. Should have mentioned that limiting only happens in full-screen mode, not windowed mode.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    So I'm in the 3D settings of nvidia, as the image shows, but in the selection of picking what sims exe to use, the only one I have available is launcher.exe? I don't see any option for TS3w.exe
    Ah ignore that, figured it out, will update on the results of the link you gave me!
    edited July 2016
    You should have to "navigate" (browse) to reach TS3w.exe. It must be in there someplace. Where exactly that is varies. Usually something like C:\Program Files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin or it could be under Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. It's wherever your base game program is actually installed.

You could also do a Start Menu search on TS3w.exe to see if that tells you where it is.

Edit: Whoops sorry, your "ignore that" response wasn't showing for me until after I typed all that out. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    It was a success, my frame rate reached 59 and 60, but never exceeded it, so that was successful, I honestly just hope this is the cause of my crashing! But going from what you said about it being decently common, it must of been, I'm guessing it would of been unusual for my game to run perfectly without doing this if I have this graphics card? Anyway thank you very much, anything else I should do or would you say to just play it out and see if my crashing stops? Thanks so so much again, you've been ever so helpful!
    edited July 2016
    I would say play it out, the worst thing that can happen is that the crashes return (which is where you were before anyway). Though you might also consider coming to us at NRaas for help with those script logs in case something in-game, not hardware related, is contributing. And you're welcome. :)

But now that we are sure the fps is limited properly, here is the entire procedure for formal graphic card recognition. I wouldn't bother with it if your game is otherwise fine, though it does help some players.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4782510&posted=1#post4782510
    (post # 12 if the link doesn't take you there directly)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I will send the logs I recieved in my folder to NRAAS right now, just to make sure. Unsure on how to, but the link on how to do it above should be alright, I'll post if I have problems with that. I may need to do that but right now I'll just send my log over to NRAAS and play my game out and see how it goes! Thanks again!
    Bit of a plot twist, whilst looking into the logs the top of them said Log CAS parts. all of the errors have this, so now I'm considering the fact it may be custom content after all, which is unusual.
    Not all script logs are actually errors. I'd really need to see what these are saying to help determine what they mean.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Alright, I'm trying to upload my zip file with the errors in it, but I'm struggling. On NRAAS I made an account, but not seeing any plus symbol next to pages and files. when I click it, the option to upload files does nothing when clicked, as if it's blocked out.
    You have to apply to NRaas for membership after making a Wikispaces account, and then be approved by a moderator. Non-members or those not logged in cannot upload or post. Sorry, we had to do that to keep the riff-raff out.

I just approved someone, but don't know if that was you (different screen name).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I believe it was! Posted my thingy, not sure if I've done this right, really sorry if I haven't. I can't post links but my username there is wobibobi and I posted it in the errortrap issues section.

You did it correctly. Will respond over there as soon as I get a chance to look at them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Game crashed again, I posted the new errortrap file I got in my sims 3 folder onto the NRAAS. Hope you can help, thanks again.
    For those following along at home here, the OP had multiple issues that were confusing things -- unrecognized graphics card together with an in-game birthing glitch causing freeze-ups at the same sim time every night. All appears to be sorted out now. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Yes, and the stupid open world code that crashes as soon as you reach 2.5K. EA should have made The Sims 4 before the Sims 3 and made the Sims 4 open world. Open world works a lot better with the 64 bit code. I got 3K so far and no crash no save errors are nothing. The one thing I would like to see the devs do is remaster the Sims 3 into a 64bit code, but I ain't holding my breathe.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    edited July 2016
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Yes, and the plum open world code that crashes as soon as you reach 2.5K. EA should have made The Sims 4 before the Sims 3 and made the Sims 4 open world. Open world works a lot better with the 64 bit code. I got 3K so far and no crash no save errors are nothing.
    I'm having a difficult time following this, Sid. Maybe you mean 2.5 or 3 GB of RAM usage? Many of us do not have that problem with TS3. We can run our games requiring as much as 3.4 or 3.5 GB of RAM usage on a regular basis before hitting a danger point, some do reach a breaking point a little earlier than that but not usually 2.5 or 3. Everyone's mileage with this game does differ, though. And of course players on the Mac version of the game have different limitations to cope with.

Anyway, that wasn't the kind of problem the OP was having here. It took three of us at NRaas to sort it all out, but I believe we got there in the end. :)
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    The one thing I would like to see the devs do is remaster the Sims 3 into a 64bit code, but I ain't holding my breathe.
    Ah, no argument there. A redone TS3 as 64-bit, not one with a 64-bit scaffolding wrapped around the same old game engine that would likely fall apart from much additional stress, would be awesome. I would actually pay for that. Where can I pre-order? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree with @igazor If they were going to remaster Sims 3 as 64 bit. It would need a new gaming engine. Also, major changes to the open world and toddlers. I really doubt that EA would do a remaster for all that. They would have to update the graphics and a few other things.
  • LulacLulac Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I'm new so I don't know how to make a new thread or discussion lol. Sorry! Also I kind of have a different issue but this is the closest thing to my problem. I'm really hoping you can all help me since I've waited months to purchase the Sims 3 (I bought it two days ago through Origin, but I had already downloaded CC in advance, all through safe sources). So basically, when I click play in the launcher, my game opens to a black screen and says "The Sims 3 has stopped working" or something along the lines of that. I'm pretty sure it's a CC problem because I've had the same problem in TS4. At first, I tried updating, then uninstalling and reinstalling the entire game. The problem was still there UNTIL I took out ALL CC. So I tried to solve the problem by slowly putting back CC. I put the SavedSims folder back into my Sims 3 folder first, opened the game, it worked. Next, I put in the Downloads folder (apparently the .sims3packs go in there, they're a lot easier to manage than packages), the game worked. So I put in the Mods folder and IT CRASHES. Now I was looking online for a solution and someone said that I need to update the Mods folder and Resource.cfg? I don't know how to do that, nor is there an option to update my game in the Launcher (my game is version 1.69.43.024017). Can anyone help? Is there a problem with the folder in general or do I just need to weed out the corrupt CC? Or something completely different? I'm playing on a Windows 7 32-bit operating system. This is the message I receive: " Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: TS3.exe
    Application Version: 0.2.0.32
    Application Timestamp: 568d4bac
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.6195
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4dcddbf3
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0001500a
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: c23c
    Additional Information 2: c23cf1af396eb2c9fcfae1f66c9e74ac
    Additional Information 3: 1359
    Additional Information 4: 1359c2523c05a61fe560f375b25dd5fc
    "

I'd really appreciate any help at all. Thank you in advance!