Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wouldn't it be awesome if...

13...Next

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    leetamme wrote: »
    The Sims graphics were able to match that of games like Call of Duty Adanced Warfare or even Final Fantasy XV.

Then not everyone would be able to play. We saw the issues in TS3 caused by the high end graphics lags and crashes.
    Sims 4 demands more from your graphic card than Sims 3. If Sims 5 has the same cartoony approach as Sims 4 I'm out, not even going to try. I want to play with people, not clowns. And by that I don't mean uncanny valley, I do like some sort of art style and I don't need photorealistic. Just real people this time around again. Witty yes, a bit exaggerated yes, but no more bad cartoon please.
    5JZ57S6.png
    leetamme wrote: »
    The Sims graphics were able to match that of games like Call of Duty Adanced Warfare or even Final Fantasy XV.

Then not everyone would be able to play. We saw the issues in TS3 caused by the high end graphics lags and crashes.

Visually, The Sims 3 was a joke. It wasn't demanding at all in the slightest by today's standards in gaming. The issues with TS3 were caused by incompetent and poor programming, memory management and 32 bit limitations. Not because of the graphics. My hardware was barely used when running TS3, and yet the game ran terribly. One of the main issues with the game was (and still is) that it doesn't have any form of "garbage collection". Any path finding failures and routing errors just stack up until the AI gets completely stuck, eventually bloating your save file and making the game unplayable. Another problem was that TS3's memory management was atrocious. Every time a function or piece of data was called upon and then discarded, it was immediately flushed from memory, requiring it to be reloaded each time it's called upon again, which results in the game slowing down as well.

TS4 does everything TS3 did wrong, right, but has none of the things that caused issues to begin with. It was never improved, just discarded (like the poorly optimized open world mechanic. Each world has multiple culprits that causes the AI to crumble, and I'm also convinced the developers of that game had never heard of proper LOD transitions or object occlusion). Cost efficient, but lazy.
    The fact they didn't do a very good job in world designing doesn't mean it's impossible. Install two NRaas mods and broken Bridgeport runs like a dream. TS4 doesn't do anything 'right' that Sims 3 did wrong. Twallan did.

5JZ57S6.png
    lejoninna wrote: »
    meuamour wrote: »
    No, not really & they already discussed why they didn't take the "realistic" approach.

One point that stood out to me....the fact we cruelly kill sims.
    It's pure hilarity when they're stylized (ie. cartoon). Now imagine that with FF graphics....it's pretty creepy.
    Changes the game completely.

I thought the whole super HD/1080p type of graphics was cool when we were still in speculation of the TS4 but then I read the interview where this question was raised after EA/Sims appeared at all those game conferences. &Yeah it made sense.
    Plus imagine realized graphics + "Woohoo" the rating for this game would be completely different.

This. This alone pretty much seals the deal altogether.

how do u kill a sim "cruelly"? all deaths r just them laying on the ground and grim coming

Burning a Sim to death is one. If the graphics in The Sims were to look photorealistic, it may have the potential of making some deaths appear graphic.
    That's right, my son never ever kills characters in his GTA game.

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

5JZ57S6.png
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No, not really & they already discussed why they didn't take the "realistic" approach.

It's pure hilarity when they're stylized (ie. cartoon). Now imagine that with FF graphics....it's pretty creepy.

I thought the whole super HD/1080p type of graphics was cool when we were still in speculation of the TS4 but then I read the interview where this question was raised after EA/Sims appeared at all those game conferences. &Yeah it made sense.
    Plus imagine realized graphics + "Woohoo" the rating for this game would be completely different.

how do u kill a sim "cruelly"? all deaths r just them laying on the ground and grim coming

Burning a Sim to death is one. If the graphics in The Sims were to look photorealistic, it may have the potential of making some deaths appear graphic.

Killing pixels in a shooter is a different context. In GTA, they switched this up and had a playable scene where Trevor tortures someone - not comfortable. Very different to the cartoony ragdoll physics used when you kill a pixel person in GTA during normal gameplay.

Making you uncomfortable by the realism in these type of games are often highlighted within the game itself - No Russian in Modern Warfare 2 or even the whole point of the game like Spec Ops: The Line.

You really want to watch a sim burn to death for several minutes with realistic graphics and animations?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    edited July 2016
    @ModerateOsprey No prob. I just played it once at my friend's house a very long time ago. It's an okay game if you ask me. But I'm not sure whether it still works on newer windows (8 and 10)
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I think the graphics in TS4 is really good. I love it a lot.
    My problems with Sims 4 is not graphics, CAS or how sims look. I think the developers did an amazing job here. TS4 is hands down the best way the sims looked or their world look.

I love the graphics of many other games too, the graphics has to go with the atmosphere of the game.

Maybe one day we will see a new sims game with mature theme with those graphics
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
    @ModerateOsprey I just played it once at my friend's house a very long time ago. It's an okay game if you ask me. But I'm not sure whether it still works on newer windows (8 and 10)

OK is good enough. Only ten quid (a tadge more than two pints of Guiness) on Origin right now. Looks like it could be an amusing diversion...
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member

What's that supposed to mean?
  • HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    @ModerateOsprey It's RPG with Simulation, you do quests, but there's still freedom, you can have kids and all, but can't control them. It really depends if you will like or not, I'd buy it having in mind that you may not like it, be sure of that, so you won't feel like you burnt your money.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Drawing a bit from TS3's into the future, I'd love to play a Sims dystopian world with the ambience of Dishonored 2 -
    And usually, I prefer a highly stylized look to games, so long as the style and game experience are a good marriage. I actually like the art style of TS4 - the only drawback being the lack of textural depth compared to TS3 and a lil too much bloom at times. The risk with going for photot realism - while trying to please everyone's computer specs - is that advances in graphic tech can quickly make a game lose its freshness, making it look outdated in just a couple of years.
    Hyeion wrote: »
    @ModerateOsprey It's RPG with Simulation, you do quests, but there's still freedom, you can have kids and all, but can't control them. It really depends if you will like or not, I'd buy it having in mind that you may not like it, be sure of that, so you won't feel like you burnt your money.

Naw, I'll be cool with that. You win some, you lose some. I have had some good fun with standalone games around the tenner mark.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....

Killing pixels in a shooter is a different context. In GTA, they switched this up and had a playable scene where Trevor tortures someone - not comfortable. Very different to the cartoony ragdoll physics used when you kill a pixel person in GTA during normal gameplay.

Making you uncomfortable by the realism in these type of games are often highlighted within the game itself - No Russian in Modern Warfare 2 or even the whole point of the game like Spec Ops: The Line.

You really want to watch a sim burn to death for several minutes with realistic graphics and animations?
    To be honest I'm also uncomfortable when a sim in 3 is burning. Not so much the visuals, I hate the screaming. I just don't really get it as an argument in the 'how do you want your sims to look' discussion. I want them to look realistic feature wise and in behaviour. I'd love Sims 3 style with Sims 4 CAS options (including the more unique faces you can achieve, but with Sims 3 texture). Being or not feeling comfortable when I burn or drown them is no priority for me. I want to play with realistic(ish) characters who are alive. I don't want The Sims to be a totally serious game, I like the approach of human life with humour and highlighting human behaviour. Sims 4 just completely went over the top in that respect for me. That's no highlighting, that's making a complete show out of it.
    5JZ57S6.png

That photorealism and killing is not a problem in other games apparently.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Not really, I Luv the Sims cause I can just sit back and relax, and not have any stress like I get from other games I play.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited July 2016

Strong violence and The Sims don't go together. Other games like shooters are a different story.
    edited July 2016
    I think the graphics in TS4 is really good. I love it a lot.
    My problems with Sims 4 is not graphics, CAS or how sims look. I think the developers did an amazing job here. TS4 is hands down the best way the sims looked or their world look.

I love the graphics of many other games too, the graphics has to go with the atmosphere of the game.

Maybe one day we will see a new sims game with mature theme with those graphics
    For you perhaps, but not for me and many others. The women look alright, the men are awful. Puppets. Drawings. And the worlds are a strange mixture between detailed and cheap. And personal preference concerning art style. There's a topic in the Sims 3 section filled with people who have a different preference than you. So no hands down by any means.
    5JZ57S6.png

To be honest I'm also uncomfortable when a sim in 3 is burning. Not so much the visuals, I hate the screaming. I just don't really get it as an argument in the 'how do you want your sims to look' discussion. I want them to look realistic feature wise and in behaviour. I'd love Sims 3 style with Sims 4 CAS options (including the more unique faces you can achieve, but with Sims 3 texture). Being or not feeling comfortable when I burn or drown them is no priority for me. I want to play with realistic(ish) characters who are alive. I don't want The Sims to be a totally serious game, I like the approach of human life with humour and highlighting human behaviour. Sims 4 just completely went over the top in that respect for me. That's no highlighting, that's making a complete show out of it.

Aye, my question was mainly rhetorical. I don't have you down for someone that would enjoy watching anything burn to death. I don't disagree that they they have been overly cautious and is more Looney Tunes rather than The Simpsons.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    @ModerateOsprey Bioshock Infinite is also good, Semi-Realism or Bioshock Inspired, Perrrrfect! :

I would certainly not like to see the game go in a more realistic direction. Can you imagine the sims rendered and animated in lots of different art mediums - water colour, oils, acrylics, pencil, etc.....awesome :joy:

*Brain breaksdown* :dizzy:
    @ModerateOsprey Actually, I found a bit of both SemiStyle-Bioshock:
    ShWWEgv.jpg

@littlearchitect True, I forgot about Life is Strange, absolutely like that.

Who are you and how did you get my Windows 10 lockscreen!?
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I don't really like realistic graphics. It looks creepy for a sims game IMO.

I found some pictures from life is strange and presumably from GTA.
    They look nice in terms of graphics and still keep the cartoony art.
    2u7b155.jpg

I like that one. The environment still has that great graphic detail.
    @ModerateOsprey Bioshock Infinite is also good, Semi-Realism or Bioshock Inspired, Perrrrfect! :

*Brain breaksdown* :dizzy:
    @ModerateOsprey Actually, I found a bit of both SemiStyle-Bioshock:
    ShWWEgv.jpg

I like that one to. I think the environmental detail is very good.

You'll have to forgive I wasn't trying to turn this into a debate of rather or not the Sims should be more realistic. I like the art direction of the Sims 4 but I still think it would be more interesting with more environmental detail graphics. There's lots of games with an open feel to them that achieve this. You explore the great architectural details of the cities created and spend hours creating that right character for the story.

Incorporating such styles to the Sims is not a bad thing. The Sims can still keep the same game play we love and have a sharper image to it. Though our operating systems may not be capable of this just yet, perhaps some day it will. Again these are just high wishes for the moment but still think it would give the game that extra greatness if it had that unrealistic yet realistic graphic detail.

WbUrFQm.png
  • MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    I think it would be cool to have graphics similar to Quantam Break. I think the cool thing about the Sims 3 is that it was an unrealistic realistic game. Meaning the graphics were more realistic and less cartoony but the scenarios were wacky and crazy, thats why I think Sims 3 had a good charm.

However, this will never happen. Because EA has decided to start targeting Casual Gamers and they typically don't have good PCs

I think they could still keep a cartoony art style, with good graphics. Sims 4 Graphics greatly disappoint, but I somewhat enjoy the art style.

They could keep the cartoony art style, but make the game darker. So the dark parts like night, are darker but in day time it stays the same.

Also I would like more consequences and seriousness similar to prev. games
  • HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    @MarcyEatsMonsters Oh, really? I didn't knew! Haha. You have to forgive me for *stealing it* for a bit.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
    edited July 2016

Strong violence and The Sims don't go together. Other games like shooters are a different story.
    I agree, although I wouldn't mind if sims could kill each other. It felt a bit lame when my good witch kept throwing fire at the evil witch and nothing serious happened. They can die in fires can't they? Then why not in a fire sent by another sim. I was disappointed (the evil witch finally was killed by a meteor triggered by an alien; aliens apparently can kill :p ). I'd also want vampires being able to kill, to be more dangerous. That probably would make the game not suitable for kids, but I don't need it to be suitable for kids. I want it to be for teens and adults.

As for the subject realistic sims, I don't want them to look totally realistic either. Not for killing reasons, but uncanny valley just takes it too far for me. I prefer the game having a certain art style. Which is, I guess, why I do like the second game example the OP mentioned for the game and not the first one. I've always played my sims in 3 vanilla until recently and I was totally fine with that. I'd only wish they would be less 'waxy'. Facial bone structure just isn't really good in the game. I'm fine with my sims but I'm bound to one certain look I like. I'd love more variety. Sims 4 is better in that respect, but spoils it for me in other ways.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    @JoAnne65
    There's a mod for that, the vampires.
    Unfortunately, the mod has several problems and a removed it because it did more bad than good.