Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wouldn't it be awesome if...

JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
The Sims graphics were able to match that of games like Call of Duty Adanced Warfare or even Final Fantasy XV.
WbUrFQm.png

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I had to google those games. The first one no, the second one yes!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited July 2016
    It depends on personal preference. I think it would look horrible. Photorealistic people in videogames look ugly most of the time. (Cough, Gta 5 ,Cough) Also most people don't have a computer that can handle these graphics. I love the comic artstyle of sims 4 and really hope that sims 5 will have it to, just with sharper textures (render like)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Not really. I like to play lighthearted, nonrealistic stories as well as more serious ones. A lot of what I love about the Sims would clash with that graphics style.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Eh, not particularly. Super-realistic graphics in games have never truly impressed me all that much. I appreciate when the art in a game looks good and the special effects are done well, but I'm a gameplay over graphics gamer myself. Sorry.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Imagine playing this game with all the goofy stuff that happens in it. It would look kind of wierd, and not in a good way :neutral:
  • Options
    lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    i want a floating city
    bdvb5z.png
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I have to agree with @TheSimer and personally feel the cartoonish look TS4 has works better than the hyper realistic look that some other games have. But I also love the look of Pixar and other computer animated shows/movies too. :)
  • Options
    lejoninna wrote: »
    i want a floating city
    bdvb5z.png
    See I think that looks fantastic. I love the final fantasy series and the graphics get better with each one.

And I'm not referring to the game play of the Sims to match that of those games just the look of it. I like how unrealisticly realistic the characters look in the final fantasy games and the way the world's look in them.

A floating city would be cool.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited July 2016
    I would love to see a Sims game look some of these games.

GTA V
    I love just traveling around Los Santos biking, hiking, taking selfies, going to the beach, etc.
    1y8rwm.jpg

Watch_Dogs 2
    I did lots of free-roaming in the first one just exploring Chicago and loved it.
    103ctie.jpg

Dishonored 2
    Can't wait to play this.
    9fppxy.jpg

Quantum Break
    I love this game. Aiden Gillen from GoT was the reason I got into this game.
    vn2t6t.jpg
  • Options
    VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    In my opinion, most of these suggestions are quite awful. That's just my opinion.

If we're talking high quality, semi to full on realistic graphics, I would really enjoy seeing a Sims game in a visual style similar to Bioshock Infinite or (if we're talking about characters) Gears of War or Dishonored. They're all visually very iconic and look believable, without being ugly. Well defined art styles that will stick with you forever.
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • Options
    In my opinion, most of these suggestions are quite awful. That's just my opinion.

If we're talking high quality, semi to full on realistic graphics, I would really enjoy seeing a Sims game in a visual style similar to Bioshock Infinite or (if we're talking about characters) Gears of War or Dishonored. They're all visually very iconic and look believable, without being ugly. Well defined art styles that will stick with you forever.

dude that's where my picture is from.....
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    The Sims graphics were able to match that of games like Call of Duty Adanced Warfare or even Final Fantasy XV.

Then not everyone would be able to play. We saw the issues in TS3 caused by the high end graphics lags and crashes.
  • Options
    VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    edited April 2020

Then not everyone would be able to play. We saw the issues in TS3 caused by the high end graphics lags and crashes.

Visually, The Sims 3 wasn't that great. It wasn't very expensive to run. The issues with TS3 were caused by mismanagement, poor programming, memory management issues and 32 bit limitations. Not because of the graphics. My hardware was barely utilized whenever running TS3, and yet the game ran terribly. One of the main issues with the game was (and still is) that it doesn't have any form of "garbage collection". Any path finding failures and routing errors just stack up until the AI gets completely stuck, eventually bloating your save file and making the game unplayable. Another problem was that TS3's memory management was atrocious. Every time a function or piece of data was called upon and then discarded, it was immediately flushed from memory, requiring it to be reloaded each time it's called upon again, which results in the game slowing down as well.

TS4 does everything TS3 did wrong, right, but has none of the things that caused issues to begin with. It was never improved, just discarded (like the poorly optimized open world mechanic. Each world has multiple culprits that causes the AI to crumble, and I'm also convinced the developers of that game had never heard of proper LOD transitions or object occlusion). Cost efficient, but not very good.
    Post edited by VickiVampiress on
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    not really
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Yeah but nobody's computer would be able to handle it. You have to bear in mind that The Sims is a pretty 'customizeable' game. And having to load in the lots would take too much. Would be cool tho but I also don't mind the simple cartoony look it has. I think it's quite charming and different and different is good.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    my computer wasnt that expensive and flashy and it can run these games, so whats the deal?
  • Options
    my computer wasnt that expensive and flashy and it can run these games, so whats the deal?

It's cuz the games already have the buildings in place and you can't change them so it's already pre-rendered. The Sims doesn't work like that.
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

It's cuz the games already have the buildings in place and you can't change them so it's already pre-rendered. The Sims doesn't work like that.

Ohh ok, didnt even think about that lol. So no floating cities huh
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

Ohh ok, didnt even think about that lol. So no floating cities huh

It's possible to get a floating city but just not with a detailed artstyle. :D
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options

GTA V
    I love just traveling around Los Santos biking, hiking, taking selfies, going to the beach, etc.
    1y8rwm.jpg

Watch_Dogs 2
    I did lots of free-roaming in the first one just exploring Chicago and loved it.
    103ctie.jpg

Dishonored 2
    Can't wait to play this.
    9fppxy.jpg

Quantum Break
    vn2t6t.jpg
    I like those and they are incredible graphics.

I'm not trying to debate the system requirement's that this kind of graphic improvement would cause. I'm just saying it would be kinda awesome if the Sims could look like some of these games graphicly. It may be mere wishful thinking but I can't help but think it would make the game artistically cooler to have such graphic detail.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    meuamourmeuamour Posts: 117 Member
    No, not really & they already discussed why they didn't take the "realistic" approach.

One point that stood out to me....the fact we cruelly kill sims.
    It's pure hilarity when they're stylized (ie. cartoon). Now imagine that with FF graphics....it's pretty creepy.
    Changes the game completely.

I thought the whole super HD/1080p type of graphics was cool when we were still in speculation of the TS4 but then I read the interview where this question was raised after EA/Sims appeared at all those game conferences. &Yeah it made sense.
    Plus imagine realized graphics + "Woohoo" the rating for this game would be completely different.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Visually, The Sims 3 was a joke. It wasn't demanding at all in the slightest by today's standards in gaming. The issues with TS3 were caused by incompetent and poor programming, memory management and 32 bit limitations. Not because of the graphics. My hardware was barely used when running TS3, and yet the game ran terribly. One of the main issues with the game was (and still is) that it doesn't have any form of "garbage collection". Any path finding failures and routing errors just stack up until the AI gets completely stuck, eventually bloating your save file and making the game unplayable. Another problem was that TS3's memory management was atrocious. Every time a function or piece of data was called upon and then discarded, it was immediately flushed from memory, requiring it to be reloaded each time it's called upon again, which results in the game slowing down as well.

TS4 does everything TS3 did wrong, right, but has none of the things that caused issues to begin with. It was never improved, just discarded (like the poorly optimized open world mechanic. Each world has multiple culprits that causes the AI to crumble, and I'm also convinced the developers of that game had never heard of proper LOD transitions or object occlusion). Cost efficient, but lazy.

Everything The Sims 3 did wrong, The Sims 3 on console did right by fixing all of the issues lmao.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Quantum Break
    vn2t6t.jpg

How is Quantum Break?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Call Of Duty graphics in a The Sims game? Sir how old are you......
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Call Of Duty graphics in a The Sims game? Sir how old are you......

I agree... Anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the social and industry values of entertainment will want to see Battlefield-quality graphics in a sims game!
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch