Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how does a baby's last name get chosen?

Hi all,

I thought that the baby took the name of the sim that proposed, so since the father proposed and father's name is Johnny Rogers and mother's name is Juliette Johnson, I assume the baby would be ______ Rogers. Instead the baby girl took the Mom's last name. Is it random or do girls take the mom's last name?

Thanks!
PDWxp40.jpg

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,594 Member
    Not too sure. Are the parents married? If not, them maybe the game just goes by the mom's name. You can go to CAS and change the kid's name (age up the baby or wait for it to age up).
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ScalesofGreyScalesofGrey Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2016
    The baby will always take their mother's surname, regardless of her* status with their father. You can change it in CAS after they age up if you wish.

*Edited for typo.
  • kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    Its the mom's. The mom's last name doesn't change even if you ge married. You have to do it manually like ScalesofGrey said. I know its annoying.
  • lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    Thanks DeKay, ScalesofGrey, and kingkong192. I'll go into CAS and change it when she ages up. I guess I only noticed it now...in the fifth generation of my sims.
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    @lsnishi I just noticed it now, after two years.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
  • nakibotnakibot Posts: 176 Member
    I'm still baffled why they haven't fixed this after all this time. Is there any word from the Sims Team?
  • HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    I liked when they got the surname of who asked to marry first. The Fathers feel a bit leftout.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    To be completely accurate: the baby is given the name of the parent that gives birth to them. I think this is a good thing. You're given the option of changing it when they are born ( when you choose the first name), and you can change it in CAS without cheats later. Same thing with married couples' names, I'm glad they've chosen to do it like this. Not everyone wants to change their name when they get married, I usually let my sims keep their last names and choose baby name as I see fit.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Mine always get their mothers maiden name?
    giphy_1.gif
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    lsnishi wrote: »
    Hi all,

I thought that the baby took the name of the sim that proposed, so since the father proposed and father's name is Johnny Rogers and mother's name is Juliette Johnson, I assume the baby would be ______ Rogers. Instead the baby girl took the Mom's last name. Is it random or do girls take the mom's last name?

Thanks!

Once your sims are married you should change the two sims surname to be one. This way there will be no confusion. The name does not change automatically

Of course it does change automatically in my game as I have MC Command Mod.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • BatmanSimmerBatmanSimmer Posts: 248 Member
    I'm actually glad this is a thing. Not every women wants to change their last name, and not every women wants to give their child a different last name then their own. If you want to change them it is honestly really easy. I just wish we had townhalls to legally change last names, because that would be super realistic.
    Happy Simming!
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Can't you just put the fathers last name when they ask for a name when the baby is born?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    The baby will always take their mother's surname, regardless of her* status with their father. You can change it in CAS after they age up if you wish.

*Edited for typo.

You can change it right then and there when you give baby their first name. No need to wait until they're old enough to be brought into CAS.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    nakibot wrote: »
    I'm still baffled why they haven't fixed this after all this time. Is there any word from the Sims Team?

It's not a glitch - definitely intentional. But as everyone has said, it's very easy for you to give the baby whichever surname you want when they are born. I personally vary it depending on the Sim.
  • I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    This is so annoying, needing to change every Sims' last name.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Can't you just put the fathers last name when they ask for a name when the baby is born?

I was thinking the same thing. As far as I remember I've always had the option to name the kid after one of it's parents or type a new one.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)