Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are the Alienware laptops worth it?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Great news @RodJohn . Your welcome .Glad your PC is ok and you don't need a new one. Enjoy your game :)
  • Options
    tesarilytesarily Posts: 56 Member
    Looks like this thread had mostly resolved, but chiming in for others looking into alienware: while it's not a laptop, I have the alienware alpha which is super tiny and meant to replace consoles. I really love it, and can run sims 3 and other favorites (like the witcher 3) on high settings. You can always build a better computer for the cost of purchasing a premade, but I'm not terribly computer-hardware savvy and love the convenience of my prebuilt.
  • Options
    siaaiasiaaia Posts: 6 New Member
    I know that this topic has been discussed a million times before, but I need help with buying a laptop that would play sims 3 with all expansions (also sims 4) smoothly with no lags.

I've read about lots of sims 3 lag issues even with high end computer, so it would be great if someone can share with me good experiences with recent laptops.

I have a budget of $600-$800 (Maybe a bit more, but the cheaper the better).

Thanks!
  • Options
    siaaia wrote: »
    I know that this topic has been discussed a million times before, but I need help with buying a laptop that would play sims 3 with all expansions (also sims 4) smoothly with no lags.

I've read about lots of sims 3 lag issues even with high end computer, so it would be great if someone can share with me good experiences with recent laptops.

I have a budget of $600-$800 (Maybe a bit more, but the cheaper the better).

Thanks!

USA or Canada? If Canada your looking at $1,200 or more for a laptop. If in the the USA Newegg charges no tax outside CA, TN or NJ the second laptop is better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315164&cm_re=gtx_960m_laptop-_-34-315-164-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154111&cm_re=gtx_960m_laptop-_-34-154-111-_-Product

• Options
    I'm in USA. I am considering dell inspiron 15 i7559-2512BLK on amazon.

Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor (or i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage; Optical Drive Not included

There is an i5 and i7 version. I'm not sure though if the i5 version would suffice?

• Options
    I'm in USA. I am considering dell inspiron 15 i7559-2512BLK on amazon.

Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor (or i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage; Optical Drive Not included

There is an i5 and i7 version. I'm not sure though if the i5 version would suffice?

Your better off with an i7 on laptop because laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You need 2.4 Ghz or better

8gb is very low for one hard drive. Your going to need to make sure everything gets installed on the 1tb hard drive

With that dell I would also invest in a cooling pad .

Your better off with a laptop made specifically for gaming like the MSI I posted. Gaming laptops have much better cooling.
  • Options
    Thanks. My plan is to add a 250gb SSD to the Dell. It is upgradable.

One thing I like about the Dell is that the video card has 4gb of memory while the MSI has only 2gb for the 800 price range. Not sure if this is important though

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    One thing I like about the Dell is that the video card has 4gb of memory while the MSI has only 2gb for the 800 price range. Not sure if this is important though

It depends on what other uses you will have for this computer over time. TS3 can only use around 800 MB of video memory, so to this game 2 GB vs. 4 GB won't make any difference.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thanks. My plan is to add a 250gb SSD to the Dell. It is upgradable.

the card having 2gb of memory as opposed to 4gb of memory does not matter for the sims games. The only game I know that uses close to 4gb vram is GTA V. You need a higher end gaming laptop to run that. Better than a 960m

A laptop with good cooling is important. Personally I would not buy dell for gaming but thats your choice. Asus ROG, MSI, Custom Cyberpower for example will have much better cooling. Having a thicker laptop is better

Even when a laptop states it can be upgraded does not mean you can do it while it is under warranty. If you alter the laptop in any way you may void the warranty. If you go with ssd , I advise 500 gb. You will run out of space quickly with TS3 if you are running all eps, store, cc mods ect if you have 250 gb. You need to leave 50 gb free while running this game.

Your better off with something like this and these is no tax outside CA http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J3KCM
    comes with a 965m , 500 gb ssd plus a 1 tb hard drive, new skylake processor. a few freebees . This is custom
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. This is really helpful advice.

Is it true that the sims runs better on SSD rather than HDD?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016

For many, the difference is in loading times, travel transitions, saves, and a few odd things in-game like the loading of Build/Buy catalogs. The vast majority of gameplay is handled through RAM, not hard drive access, so an SSD doesn't really make any improvements there.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options

Over all yes. What igazor stated above.

I have a 250 gb ssd and have to clean it out constantly to make room for this game. Why I say you need 500 gb. If you have too many saves, screen shots, downloads, sims etc you can store them on your second hard drive.
  • Options
    Great! Thank you all, your help is much appreciated.
  • Options
    Your very welcome