Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are the Alienware laptops worth it?

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2016
    RodJohn wrote: »
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I bought an alienware back in.... like 2003-2004 or something, and it lasted me at least until 2008 or 9, without the need to upgrade a single piece of hardware and was still able to run all the latest games at max. That was a desktop though.
    As for the laptops, I've often thought it would be a good choice to me, because bigger size is one of the standard options, I would never game on like, 13-15 inch laptop.

Honestly, there are still days where I miss my alienware CRT monitor, was only 22 inch but it had a much better display than either the LG or Asus flat screen 26 inch monitor's I've had.

These days, I run a rig I put together myself, on mostly budget parts, but I always have to replace something every 3-6 months or so, which honestly doesn't save me any money in the long run but its what fits my budget these days.

IMHO, if you are shooting for a laptop, getting a good name brand has more benefit than with a desktop, and you will care more about how a laptop looks if you actually plan on taking it anywhere, as cool as my desktop looks, I'm really the only one that looks at it much.

I'm more about convenience now. I'm a college student and study a lot, but I also work a part time job on the weekends. About 24 hours over he course of Saturday and Sunday. It's a great job with TONS of downtime and my boss doesn't care what I do when the phone isn't ringing. I would love to have a system to take with me to be able to play sims on during the day. That's why I'm looking into a laptop. I'm also looking for the option of a payment plan which wouldn't destroy my savings off the rip.

Your better off with the custom cyberpower I posted for under 1200. It has two hard drives one being 500 gb ssd. You thank yourself for getting a laptop with two hard drives instead of one. You will love playing the sims 3 on ssd. The game loads so much quicker. You really need a 500 gb ssd. I have 250 gb and constantly have to clean out my game. You need to leave 50 gb free space at all times.

PS Alienware is not going to give you two hard drives one being 500gb ssd for under 1200. Your paying for the name but not for the quality. Alienware is an overpriced dell computer. They were a good company before they sold it to dell. Im told Clevo use to own Alienware

You want a computer that is going to give you the most for your money. Cyberpower will give you that. I have two cyberpower custom in my house
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I bought an alienware back in.... like 2003-2004 or something, and it lasted me at least until 2008 or 9, without the need to upgrade a single piece of hardware and was still able to run all the latest games at max. That was a desktop though.
    As for the laptops, I've often thought it would be a good choice to me, because bigger size is one of the standard options, I would never game on like, 13-15 inch laptop.

Honestly, there are still days where I miss my alienware CRT monitor, was only 22 inch but it had a much better display than either the LG or Asus flat screen 26 inch monitor's I've had.

These days, I run a rig I put together myself, on mostly budget parts, but I always have to replace something every 3-6 months or so, which honestly doesn't save me any money in the long run but its what fits my budget these days.

IMHO, if you are shooting for a laptop, getting a good name brand has more benefit than with a desktop, and you will care more about how a laptop looks if you actually plan on taking it anywhere, as cool as my desktop looks, I'm really the only one that looks at it much.

I'm more about convenience now. I'm a college student and study a lot, but I also work a part time job on the weekends. About 24 hours over he course of Saturday and Sunday. It's a great job with TONS of downtime and my boss doesn't care what I do when the phone isn't ringing. I would love to have a system to take with me to be able to play sims on during the day. That's why I'm looking into a laptop. I'm also looking for the option of a payment plan which wouldn't destroy my savings off the rip.

Your better off with the custom cyberpower I posted for under 1200. It has two hard drives one being 500 gb ssd. You thank yourself for getting a laptop with two hard drives instead of one. You will love playing the sims 3 on ssd. The game loads so much quicker. You really need a 500 gb ssd. I have 250 gb and constantly have to clean out my game. You need to leave 50 gb free space at all times.

PS Alienware is not going to give you two hard drives one being 500gb ssd for under 1200. Your paying for the name but not for the quality. Alienware is an overpriced dell computer. They were a good company before they sold it to dell. Im told Clevo use to own Alienware

You want a computer that is going to give you the most for your money. Cyberpower will give you that. I have two cyberpower custom in my house

This is probably true .the only reason I went with Alienware is the financing option.if your able to pay all at once then something phoebebebe13 suggest would be better .

Happy Simming!♥
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited July 2016
    Just FYI, if you are in the US (have no idea about elsewhere) and have an Amazon Store Card you might also be given an option to have up to a year's financing to pay off any item over $599 purchased at Amazon.com.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!

This is probably true .the only reason I went with Alienware is the financing option.if your able to pay all at once then something phoebebebe13 suggest would be better .

For me I saved until I could afford to pay for a computer outright. This way your not limited in what you can buy and you can get the most computer for your money. I did not play the sims 3 for a few years while saving for a computer to play the whole game. Investing in an ssd also made the game much more enjoyable to play. Loads so much quicker . I could not go back to playing this game on hdd hard drive
    edited July 2016
    Well, I was planning to wait a while before getting something but with the financing option and the fact that my mom needs a laptop (so now I have the excuse that she can have my old one now, hehe!), I just ordered an ASUS ROG GL552VW laptop along with a 500 GB SSD to install in it. :smiley:

• RodJohnRodJohn Posts: 406 Member
    Well, I was planning to wait a while before getting something but with the financing option and the fact that my mom needs a laptop (so now I have the excuse that she can have my old one now, hehe!), I just ordered an ASUS ROG GL552VW laptop along with a 500 GB SSD to install in it. :smiley:

Gah! I'm so jealous. Congrats!
    Thank you! I still want to upgrade or purchase a new desktop, but the price is decent and I'm traveling a lot this summer so this should work fine for now. It's always exciting to get a new PC!

Hang in there, before you know it, you will be looking forward to getting yours. :)

You do know you will probably void the warranty on your laptop once you open the laptop and install the 500 gb ssd?
    There is a really good computer guy around here who could fix my lemon of a desktop. It's got great parts but I think the guy that built it was sort of inept. Maybe it would be more prudent to pay for that now... it ran the Sims like a dream when it worked. It's not even a year old yet.
    That might be a good way to go, @RedJohn. There shouldn't be any reason why a desktop couldn't be fixed some how and it's got to be cheaper than a new PC. Maybe you could get the PC Repair guy to at least look at it and give you an estimate.

@phoebebebe13 there are no seals on the back of the laptop. Plus there was this video from Asus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usuvWGvtxTw

edited July 2016
    That might be a good way to go, @RedJohn. There shouldn't be any reason why a desktop couldn't be fixed some how and it's got to be cheaper than a new PC. Maybe you could get the PC Repair guy to at least look at it and give you an estimate.

@phoebebebe13 there are no seals on the back of the laptop. Plus there was this video from Asus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usuvWGvtxTw

If you alter the laptop in any way it will void the warranty unless asus India is different than here in the USA. I have an asus rog but its past the warranty now
    There is a really good computer guy around here who could fix my lemon of a desktop. It's got great parts but I think the guy that built it was sort of inept. Maybe it would be more prudent to pay for that now... it ran the Sims like a dream when it worked. It's not even a year old yet.

Than I would check into fixing it before spending the money on another new machine

If you alter the laptop in any way it will void the warranty unless asus India is different than here in the USA. I have an asus rog but its past the warranty now

I have a MSI now and its still in great condition except I've been disappointed that the GPU hasn't held up very well. Plays TS3 fine at least, but other games, not so much. So anyway I thought I'd try the Asus this time and this one had nice specs for the price.

I really wanted a GTX 970 video card but it added 200-300 to the cost, and this is just a secondary PC for me to begin with. When I upgrade or replace my desktop I definitely want a 970, plum it all! :)

I have a MSI now and its still in great condition except I've been disappointed that the GPU hasn't held up very well. Plays TS3 fine at least, but other games, not so much. So anyway I thought I'd try the Asus this time and this one had nice specs for the price.

I really wanted a GTX 970 video card but it added 200-300 to the cost, and this is just a secondary PC for me to begin with. When I upgrade or replace my desktop I definitely want a 970, plum it all! :)

I have a 770m card on my Asus Rog. Its about equal to a 960m .

I play the sims 3 on ultra with a EVGA 960 superclock 4gb desktop card . If your not playing heavier games a gtx 960 is fine for the sims. You dont need a 970

edited July 2016
    @phoebebebe13 I know I don't need it for the Sims, but since the video card can't be upgraded I just thought the laptop might be useable for a longer period of time if I got a 970. That's also why I'd like to get one for my desktop when I'm ready to upgrade that. I'm just basically trying to 'future proof' as much as possible (although I know it's a given that things change so fast that's really an impossible goal!). I know the desktop GPU can always be upgraded but the less I have to mess with it, the better. :)

edited July 2016
    @phoebebebe13 I know I don't need it for the Sims, but since the video card can't be upgraded I just thought the laptop might be useable for a longer period of time if I got a 970. That's also why I'd like to get one for my desktop when I'm ready to upgrade that. I'm just basically trying to 'future proof' as much as possible (although I know it's a given that things change so fast that's really an impossible goal!). I know the desktop GPU can always be upgraded but the less I have to mess with it, the better. :)

Laptop cards are weaker than desktop cards. Having a 970m on laptop is like having a 960 on desktop so your good there. For this game on laptop I recommend a 960m or a 970m if people can afford the higher 970m card, I say go for it. My 770m is equal to the 960m and wish I had a card equal to the 970m but my 770m plays the game well on laptop. The 900 series cards for Nvidia are better than previous Nvidia cards on both laptop and desktop
    edited July 2016
    The computer repair man charges $80/hour and makes house calls. He says if he can't fix it that he won't charge me. I would expect about 2 hours max. I am also going to buy a 500 GB SSD to have installed which would be about $160--though I haven't asked him if he can install that for me as well. It seems like a fair price for a conditional house call. I just want to get back to playing...

Also, I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought a used gaming system? Whether it be from eBay or other sources.
    i saw some alienware laptops for about $500. Which, to me doesn't seem bad for a 2014 model. eBay says that the systems are tested by their techs but the conditions of sale are purchasing as is with NO returns. This scares me. I could end up with a great laptop for a steal, or ANOTHER lemon like my defunct desktop. Advice?

GAH! My life would be so much easier had they written Sims 3 for Mac natively like they did with Sims 2 and Sims 4.

Here's an example of what I saw. I have no idea what's overpriced and what will run the game on high settings: https://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/5692624981.html
    The computer repair man charges $80/hour and makes house calls. He says if he can't fix it that he won't charge me. I would expect about 2 hours max. I am also going to buy a 500 GB SSD to have installed which would be about $160--though I haven't asked him if he can install that for me as well. It seems like a fair price for a conditional house call. I just want to get back to playing...

Also, I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought a used gaming system? Whether it be from eBay or other sources.
    i saw some alienware laptops for about $500. Which, to me doesn't seem bad for a 2014 model. eBay says that the systems are tested by their techs but the conditions of sale are purchasing as is with NO returns. This scares me. I could end up with a great laptop for a steal, or ANOTHER lemon like my defunct desktop. Advice?

GAH! My life would be so much easier had they written Sims 3 for Mac natively like they did with Sims 2 and Sims 4.

Here's an example of what I saw. I have no idea what's overpriced and what will run the game on high settings: https://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/5692624981.html

I would agree that repairing your computer would be better.

I would not buy a used laptop ever. You dont know how it was used. There is no warranty. The video card is probably not made any more so you would have to buy more used hardware to replace the video card. Not a good idea.

The link you posted is for a used desktop with very old hardware. I would not buy that either.
    That is probably my best bet. I've already got about $1200 into it. I think I should try that first.
    edited July 2016
    @Rodjohn Yeah the thing about PCs is that they advance so quickly that buying a used one is really just not the way to go unless you just need one for homework or something. But playing games on them - no way would I purchased a used one. Plus as phoebebebe13 said, you have no idea what's been done to them.

I hope the repair guy is able to fix your PC at a reasonable cost. Keep us posted, I have my fingers crossed for you!

Laptop cards are weaker than desktop cards. Having a 970m on laptop is like having a 960 on desktop so your good there. For this game on laptop I recommend a 960m or a 970m if people can afford the higher 970m card, I say go for it. My 770m is equal to the 960m and wish I had a card equal to the 970m but my 770m plays the game well on laptop. The 900 series cards for Nvidia are better than previous Nvidia cards on both laptop and desktop

The laptop I just ordered has a 960 because the 970 models were a lot more money and I don't want to blow too much money on a laptop - I'm still planning to upgrade my desktop.

Good to know that the 900's are at least better than the previous cards, thanks!

@Rodjohn Yeah the thing about PCs is that they advance so quickly that buying a used one is really just not the way to go unless you just need one for homework or something. But playing games on them - no way would I purchased a used one. Plus as phoebebebe13 said, you have no idea what's been done to them.

I hope the repair guy is able to fix your PC at a reasonable cost. Keep us posted, I have my fingers crossed for you!

The laptop I just ordered has a 960 because the 970 models were a lot more money and I don't want to blow too much money on a laptop - I'm still planning to upgrade my desktop.

Good to know that the 900's are at least better than the previous cards, thanks!

You will be fine with a 960m. Yes the 970m is more expensive.

Desktop, if your only playing the sims you don't need more than a 960 to play on ultra with all eps, store etc. When you want to upgrade the desktop pm user chesterbigbird, she will help you decide if the 960 or the 970 would be in your budget. She had a 970 card that was about equal to the 980. Since the new 1000 series is out the 900 series will go down in price for desktop.

The 900 series is better overall. We have seen a few with the new 1000 series desktop cards in tech and so far the game is having issue with those cards so we are trying to get to the bottom of the cause.
    @phoebebebe13 I have also seen that the new card is out but I wouldn't dream of buying it without waiting to see if it will work with the game. Plus as you said, I'm hoping the 970 goes down in price by the time I get ready to tackle the desktop since I'll probably stick with that anyway.

@phoebebebe13 I have also seen that the new card is out but I wouldn't dream of buying it without waiting to see if it will work with the game. Plus as you said, I'm hoping the 970 goes down in price by the time I get ready to tackle the desktop since I'll probably stick with that anyway.

Im with you. If my 960 goes I may replace it with a 970 or depended on price might just stick with the 960. Its been running ts3 on ultra so thats fine for me
    edited July 2016
    Just a little update: I took in my old system at around 10 AM this morning, had it back by 2 PM. The man at the shop said it "runs like a beast!" Only cost me about $120 to get it fixed. He ran diagnostics and said that there didn't really seem to be any major issues other than Windows 7. He put me on Windows 10. I was upset about that at first, but he says it works 10 times better. I'm not really too upset about it. I'm just happy to be back in business!

Thank you to everyone for their input. Special thanks to @igazor, @phoebebebe13, and @HappySimmer3. You guys are always super helpful no matter what my issues are!
    Post edited by RodJohn on
    That's great news, @RodJohn! Happy Simming! :)