Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FPS jumps

06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
Posting this here now since the mods never moved the one I post in GD

I was just curious, besides the fact that Sims 4 is somehow the only game that can drop from around 50fps to 20 when I switch sims. Why do the FPS jump to 70fps every now and again even though I have vsync turned on in my nvidia control panel and in sims 4 settings.

Today I was playing in Newcrest and noticed the FPS drop much less than in other worlds, unfortunately I also noticed that the FPS jumps to 74 way more often.

Comments

• KnoxhoodKnoxhood Posts: 266 Member
    The FPS drops I've had are absolutely ridiculous. 75 fps right down to 14 fps with my current system. Hopefully my new system won't have such dramatic fps drops.
    EA ID: Knoxhood
    VzZNxCw.gif
    PC Specs: Corsair 760T Black Case, Intel core i7 6700K CPU, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 Geil 2400MHz RAM, 2x 240GB HyperX Savage & Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, 9TB WD Red HDDs, ID-COOLING FrostFlow 240L Red LED CPU cooling,750W PSU.
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    There has been a lot of ongoing discussion about this - long story short, deal with it. This game has very odd performance on certain hardware that no one understands. :(

If you have mods or CC, try removing them first to see if that changes anything. Also ensure that both your game and graphics drivers are up to date, and check in task manager and see what/if anything else is running.

I'm not sure that there is much of anything you can do about it - unless you try running it on different hardware, but I doubt that you want to go changing CPUs just to see what happens.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    Just the normal stuff are usually running, sometimes I open the browser but it doesn't make much of a difference. It's just insane to me how the FPS in Sims 4 jumps around, I did not have this problem in Sims 3, Witcher 3 or any of my other games that I run on high setting so it seems EA is at again with their coding.

One question, will the 70fps jumps hurt my GPU?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Just for a split second no and you can always track your temperatures if you're worried. HW Monitor is what I use. Run it in the background while your PC is under load to track how high temps get.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Just for a split second no and you can always track your temperatures if you're worried. HW Monitor is what I use. Run it in the background while your PC is under load to track how high temps get.

Thank you :)
    It jump to that for a split second, but in Newcrest far more often than the other worlds. It goes down quickly again because I can barely get a glimpse of it.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    Just the normal stuff are usually running, sometimes I open the browser but it doesn't make much of a difference. It's just insane to me how the FPS in Sims 4 jumps around, I did not have this problem in Sims 3, Witcher 3 or any of my other games that I run on high setting so it seems EA is at again with their coding.

No absolutely not if it's only for a short while. Have you tried turning off Nvidia's v-sync and just using the in-game one and see if that maintains the fps at 60?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

No absolutely not if it's only for a short while. Have you tried turning off Nvidia's v-sync and just using the in-game one and see if that maintains the fps at 60?

I'll try that, thanks ^^
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll try that, thanks ^^

aa03762d-0b8a-48ab-a6cf-9eca2c446f24_zpsr3imjd8n.png
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll try that, thanks ^^

I don't have the adaptive setting :/
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll try that, thanks ^^

I don't have the adaptive setting :/

Just use 'off' and see if that helps since you already had it on before and still get the jumps.
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    edited July 2016
    I know what he's talking about. This is also happening with my new GTX 980 card. I tried all combinations for NVIDIA and in game and I get jumps from 48 to 72. Most of the time it will be steady 58-59 with v-sync on. I also noticed it happens in CAS, too. My GTX 960 never did this.

The funny part? With the GTX 980 I don't get the frame drops when I zoom out on a lot anymore. :D
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    I know what he's talking about. This is also happening with my new GTX 980 card. I tried all combinations for NVIDIA and in game and I get jumps from 48 to 72. Most of the time it will be steady 58-59 with v-sync on. I also noticed it happens in CAS, too. My GTX 960 never did this.

The funny part? With the GTX 980 I don't get the frame drops when I zoom out on a lot anymore. :D

I get the jumps with my 960m. :\

And what you mean, funny part? That's the best part!
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »

I get the jumps with my 960m. :\

And what you mean, funny part? That's the best part!

When I had my 960 installed, I didn't have the frame drops while playing. I notice them now.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    I have no idea, why a small district of a destination (World) can have huge fps spikes, one thing I can acknowledge is that "The Island" from Windenburg has a FPS problem, it can drop as low as 15 fps when viewing the scenery, on close up it's about 45 fps, which is really unstable.
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

JasonRMJ wrote: »
    I have no idea, why a small district of a destination (World) can have huge fps spikes, one thing I can acknowledge is that "The Island" from Windenburg has a FPS problem, it can drop as low as 15 fps when viewing the scenery, on close up it's about 45 fps, which is really unstable.

My frames are unstable and go between 50 and 60 constantly, I've never seen that in any game. Weirder for me is my frames drop when i switch sims in the same household. But it only drops that much in magnolia, potters something.

My frames are unstable and go between 50 and 60 constantly, I've never seen that in any game. Weirder for me is my frames drop when i switch sims in the same household. But it only drops that much in magnolia, potters something.

as long as your not over 60 fps your fine. Yes thhe game has fps drops. The game is not programed well.
  • LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    I've spent too much on computer parts hoping to get rid of the FPS drops in this game. It's really the game itself. Sometimes it drops in an area and doesn't go back up. Some districts are more sensitive to it. I really don't understand why that game is so heavy on the GPU, I'm able to play open world games with very detailed flora and realistic lighting on high with a stable FPS yet this game struggle to keep its FPS above 30.
    I've always suspected the fact that the game uses DX9 to be the cause of its poor graphics performance, releasing a game in late 2014 using an outdated API that's more than 10 years old was obviously not a very good idea, especially since Windows 10 doesn't even officially support it.
    However, I've never seen it go above 60fps if V-Sync is enabled in the game, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it doesn't go above 100. I actually have that problem but with the Sims 3 instead; I turn V-Sync on yet the FPS still goes above 80 and using a FPS limiter only makes the screen tearing worse. Running the game in windowed mode solves that.
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »
    I've spent too much on computer parts hoping to get rid of the FPS drops in this game. It's really the game itself. Sometimes it drops in an area and doesn't go back up. Some districts are more sensitive to it. I really don't understand why that game is so heavy on the GPU, I'm able to play open world games with very detailed flora and realistic lighting on high with a stable FPS yet this game struggle to keep its FPS above 30.
    I've always suspected the fact that the game uses DX9 to be the cause of its poor graphics performance, releasing a game in late 2014 using an outdated API that's more than 10 years old was obviously not a very good idea, especially since Windows 10 doesn't even officially support it.
    However, I've never seen it go above 60fps if V-Sync is enabled in the game, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it doesn't go above 100. I actually have that problem but with the Sims 3 instead; I turn V-Sync on yet the FPS still goes above 80 and using a FPS limiter only makes the screen tearing worse. Running the game in windowed mode solves that.

Sims 3 , are you on the 1.69 patch? Some claim vsync wont work with the 1.69 patch. Try using Nvidia inspector if you haven't. It works for many. Im on 1.67 so my vsync is fine

Sims 3 , are you on the 1.69 patch? Some claim vsync wont work with the 1.69 patch. Try using Nvidia inspector if you haven't. It works for many. Im on 1.67 so my vsync is fine

I'm on 1.67, got the game from Steam. :smile:
    I've never managed to fix it, even after several driver updates. I have an AMD card so I don't know if it's related. Enabling V-Sync does reduce the tearing, but not completely, and it doesn't lock the FPS either.
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member

I've never managed to fix it, even after several driver updates. I have an AMD card so I don't know if it's related. Enabling V-Sync does reduce the tearing, but not completely, and it doesn't lock the FPS either.

I suggest you use MATY's Sims 3 game Booter
    http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15585.0.html
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    I have an AMD card and Crimson settings would not limit FPS so I ended up using Riva Tuner Statistics Server which has worked great. I've heard of other people with AMD having the same issue with both Crimson and Catalyst.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I suggest you use MATY's Sims 3 game Booter
    http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15585.0.html

That should work but I can't use the steam overlay with it which I really need. I got used to windowed mode so it's alright, I guess I'll just wait for AMD to fix their VSync option. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:
  • napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    @LykkeLeaf Do you have Bandicam? Some people with AMD use that to limit FPS. I use this, but I'm not on steam so I don't know if it will work with the steam overlay.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

That steam problem is still going on? :/ Its only happening to AMD? I could have sworn Nvidia got effected too
  • Emart1028Emart1028 Posts: 5 New Member
    Posting this here now since the mods never moved the one I post in GD

I was just curious, besides the fact that Sims 4 is somehow the only game that can drop from around 50fps to 20 when I switch sims. Why do the FPS jump to 70fps every now and again even though I have vsync turned on in my nvidia control panel and in sims 4 settings.

Today I was playing in Newcrest and noticed the FPS drop much less than in other worlds, unfortunately I also noticed that the FPS jumps to 74 way more often.

I found out certain settings cause this, just try what you like but do not run the game on their "ultra" setting it makes it unplayable.