Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I let my little brothers play Sims 4?

Comments

• I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    This game is for teens, not children. The parents need to make this decision.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    This game is for teens, not children. The parents need to make this decision.

and when you consider some of these 8 year old children can play M rated games.. I don't see why 7 or 8 year can't play a nice non-violent game like TS4
    6adMCGP.gif
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    It's rated 12+ here in Spain, but I agree with the others, it should be up to the parents to decide.
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 712 Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them playing TS4, maybe you could also install The Sims 1 or 2 so they take a look at it. Even if they play around and find out about the Woohoo interaction, it's not like it's explicit. But you could just ask your parents and show the game to them.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I think Sims 1 and 2 would be too difficult for an 7-8 year old to play but Sims 4 wouldn't (because of all those extra warnings when there's going to be a 'accidental' death).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I let my six year old daughter play. She creates a mom and a bunch of daughters. I told her creating boys are boring (she agreed) and that it's fun to have lots of sisters (she agreed with that too). So I don't have to worry about any woo-hoo. Maybe you can create a house of brothers?
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    You could setup a kind of 'walled garden'.

Create a new save. Use one of the big lots or convert an existing park to residential and place a little house on the lot. Create a single adult sim that acts as a supervisor and then your brothers can play create simselves and some of their friends (and enemies) and then play on that lot. If you clear the other lots in the neighbourhood, then they can expand for a bit as well.

As there are no parents or other couples, then the chances of autonomous romantic interactions are much reduced. Also they will only get walkbys as the lot type is residential.

But yeah, ask your parents.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Obviously check in with the parents, but otherwise The Sims is a great game for kids to be creative, building alone can really expand their little minds and wake their interest in architecture, landscaping and the world around them in general. But I also think kids that age should play most games supervised and not for long stretches of time.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Sim_sister All depends on how these things may "shock" your brother :

- Nudity / Female nudity (even if there is a censor grid)
    - Woohoo
    - Homosexuality
    - Transgender (Feminine CAS content on male)

You'd have to be living wrapped in cottonwool for those to "shock" anyone.

Kids can handle far more than adults think they can. They can handle somethings far better than some adults can.

I think the thing that some kids are more likely to have trouble with is ewwwww kissing!

Chat to your folks about it, and start a separate game for them if it's ok.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Movotti

It shocks adult 18+ in Russia

Yes, but russia is known for it's homophobia. 7 and 8 year old kids are not.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    Not with incest still being in the game. But yeah up to your parents really. I do think the Sims 4 is probably the most kid-friendly game of the series still even with all the naughty bugs in it. Then again, your brothers might like the MySims games too. The game is rated teen though. I don't let my nine year old nephew play it yet. The ghosts freaked him out when he watched it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    The game is more open to little kids playing than teens and up in my opinion so I don't see why they can't play it. It's only rated T for sex but nothing is revealed anyways.
  • VibseVibse Posts: 100 Member
    The only ones who really should be deciding this is the parents and no one else. If they allow your brothers to play the game then you can just make a savegame for them so they do not do anything to your own sims.
    Origin ID: Vibse83
    The Jensen family tree
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I would not let them play live mode at that age. (Building a house is different, but you'd have to make sure they didn't click into the game.) Otherwise they'll be asking your parents a lot of questions about what "woohoo" is and what those sims were doing under the covers/in the hot tub/in the closet or wherever. Maybe you should ask your parents about this and let them decide, since it concerns their children?

When I was at that age and played The Sims I thought they were having a pillow fight under the blanket B)
    a256aFi.gif
  • hannaaj22hannaaj22 Posts: 685 Member
    My parents let me play TS1 at that age and I was fine. The burglars were a bit scary to me but other than that everything was fine. Obviously there wasn't as much "woohoo" in that game (if I recall correctly only on the heart bed) but even then I had no idea what was going on at that age as the game does a good job of hiding it. If your brothers play other games /watch films of a teen rating then this won't seem inappropriate for them all. It really does depend on what has already been introduced to them and how mature they are.

As others have said: ask your parents. But I personally think it's fine. Kids are open minded after all :smile:
    Leon Family Tree
    Origin ID: hannaaj22
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I played TS1 when I was 8 so I think your brother's should be fine. :joy: Just make sure they call you in for you to check that they're saving their game correctly and not overwriting your save.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I think a lot of depends on what the age rating on it is in your country. It also depends on your siblings; OK, all children are innocent at thatage but some more than others - it depends on that too; if they've had a sheltered upbringing then I would say there are some aspects they wouldn't be ready for, and I'm not just talking about woohoo;

If I'd played 4 at 7 yrs old, the wishing well, when in a bad mood would have scared the plum outta me. Aliens scared me in 3 only just last year, then there's ghosts....

Basically there are scary things in sims if you're a 7 yr old; it depends on how mature they are for their age.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I've just had a thought;

If I had kids that wanted to play it - if they were 11/12 etc sure, no problen, but at 7 I'd probably play it with them.

At 7 yrs old it's not yet uncool to hang out with your big siblings, parents etc, that comes later, so they probably wouldn't mind me overseeing them play it; I'd try to guide them away from anything I thought they were too young to understand/would be scared by.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • rshell193rshell193 Posts: 284 Member
    My little brother (16) asked me if he could play it one day. I hooked my laptop up to the tv using an HDMI cord and he created his own Sims and everything. Then he started the game and he got so so overwhelmed XD he didn't understand anything cause there were so much stuff to click on. I told him he didn't have to click on like half the things but he still gave it back to me immediately XD
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    First off talk with your parents about the whole game sit down have a family time and talk about this game, but if your parents are cool with the game make a new game not the one your playing and backup that game, and just let your brother play his own new save.
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Well....I'll say The Sims 4 is more on the kid friendly side than the last 3 versions.
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Nope. They should be playing Mario
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited July 2016
    My son, who is 7, wanted to try Sims4 after seeing me play and also watching YouTuber DanTDM. He proceeded to make the ugliest four Sims, using all of the masquerade outfits and make-ups available, and then wanted me to kill off at least two of them (using cheats) so he could have some ghosts in his game. But because the game is so similar to real life and there aren't any real challenges or rewards he quickly grew tired of it and abandoned the game.

So, you're probably fine letting them play. Just give them their own save file.

As to "adult content", I suppose that is up to how conservative your family is, but to be honest everything in the game is basically pixelated anyway. Plus, at 7 they should already have had a first talk about how babies are made. ;)