Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I had gotten the base game for TS4 and didn't much care for it and just stopped buying anything for it. Kinda shoved it into my Ottoman and forgot about it. I did end up reinstalling it, picked it up for a bit (like a week) and left it installed but unused. I love TS3, own everything I could own but I was talking to someone I work with and they speed build on youtube for TS4. So while I am off this week, I decided to check out the base game again and downloaded some CC. I was quite surprised to find I am enjoying it, although wish that some elements from TS3 was in it. I am not going to run out and get every game pack, stuff pack or expansion pack. It's weird and confusing, but I guess I am having fun with it and with all the packs to choose from I can take my time and be picky about it.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @Marycool33 there's some multitasking in 3. May be just not as much as 4. ;)
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    Odonata68 wrote: »
    @Marycool33 there's some multitasking in 3. May be just not as much as 4. ;)
    screenshot_original.jpg

I'm aware of that but in TS4 the multi-tasking is a lot better and there are a lot more options when it comes to it. It bugs me quite a bit but I can live without it
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I like the idea behind multi-tasking in TS4; I think it adds to making the sims act more natually. I just don't like how they implemented it. They went way overboard to the point where sims pretty much do their own thing way too much and take way too long to do it. If they continue with it in the future I hope they tone it way down (I hope they tone a lot of things they put into TS4 way down, actually) and limit it to times where it makes sense and skip it when it takes too much control away from the player.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • HalalloverHalallover Posts: 124 Member
    I prefer sims 3 too. When sims 4 was released I didn't bother to get it. Just didn't look appealing and then I decided wait for expansions. Then I look at reviews and I still don't wantr Sims 4.
    2dihvli.png
  • Caro_robinsonCaro_robinson Posts: 39 Member
    I enjoy playing TS4, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed TS2 and TS3. I think they should take the popular and well working elements of the earlier games and put into one, instead of creating new things that we don't seem to have fun playing with.

I think TS4 is a little bit too cartoony, and I miss the possibility of creating my own apartment and my own worlds. Or at least just being able to place my own lot into the existing world...
    LWHiORO.png
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    edited March 2017
    Eh, I enjoy Sims 4 a lot more at the moment. I don't really like realism in some games, Sims included, because if it was super uber realistic, why not just live real life?

I'm probably just not that big on realism, since reality is honestly really terrible. I like the cartoony vibe of Sims 4 way more, which makes the game more fun for me, and while Sims 2 has that vibe, the way you are pretty much forced to control the camera in the game INFURIATES me.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited March 2017
    I played Sims 4 a few times now, and it´s still... kinda boring. Part of the charme of Sims 3 is for me, that totally unpredictable and hilarious things can happen at any time. I´m still waiting for my first outburst of delighted laughter / horrified squealing while playing the Sims 4.
    Sims 4 is a nice game to play sometimes, but it doesn´t have the potential of obsession like the Sims 3 has for me.

I do have fun creating Sims in Sims 4, and I really like that I just casually can make a male sim, who enjoys wearing women´s clothes on a daily basis.
    44_zpsgacqzspp.jpg

35_zpsgbzuw2dl.jpg

14_zpswsyiurej.jpg

Of course, this is possible with mods in the Sims 3, but the fact, that it is part of the offical Sims 4 gameplay, is pretty awesome.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    My laptop is MUCH better with sims 4 but I do LOVE some assets of sims 3
    - Oh you have parents with unnatural hair? WELL THE KIDS HAVE IT TOO
    - Open world is legit a life saver
    - Grocery stores and book stores are such a nice touch
    - Pets are in the game. PETS
    - There is fairies, werewolves, genies, imaginary friends
    - So much to do with families
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    Sims3 is best of all of them. When I play sims4 I feel like I'm forcing myself to play. I really don't see anything that sims4 has that sims3 doesn't. Once you have a machine capable of playing sims3 you'll wonder what's the point of ever playing any others. As much as shutter to admit it, I see no point in playing sims2 anymore. (I still love you, sims2, but there comes a point when the heart has to move on.)
  • FluffalFluffal Posts: 5 New Member
    They both have their pros and cons

I miss a lot of the content from TS3 but I sure don't miss the load times :P
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited March 2017
    I recently stumbled across Mortimer Goth in Sims 4 and made a comparison to the one in Sims 3.

Collagen1_zpsnh2aatrp.jpg

Well, I prefer the young man on the right, thank you (and not because he´s shirtless :D ).
    What about that weird outline of TS4 Mort, anyway?

Edit: I think, the outline appears when you hover your mouse over a sim. I obviously havn´t played Sims 4 very often. :p
    Post edited by Waterdragon on
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't understand the weird outline either.
    That is a great picture @Waterdragon. The pic in the left looks awful by comparison!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited March 2017
    On which is better between TS3 and TS4, that's a good question. On one hand, TS4's graphics quality is more superior. It seems more straightforward to build a house. On the other hand, TS3 has more things to do and a greater number of expansion packs. What puzzles me is that 7-1/2 years after TS3 and their expansion packs are still expensive (at least in the UK). EA/Origin offers discounts to TS4 and its EPs all the time but we don't get that for TS3.

@hybridace101 I am not quite sure that I agree on the sims 4 graphics, they are nice, but to me the sims 3 graphics are more real like. I must say that I do like the build mode in sims 4, like placing a lot or room over another, and making sims is easier. I also like that they have a search for things. Your puzzlement is very clean to me, it is because there are many who still buy and have returned to the sims 3, it is still a money maker.
    I for one am one of the ones who have returned to the sims 3 and love it much more then the sims 4. I will admit I do try again now and then to play sims 4 to see if I like it, but the minute my kids turn into collage age sims, it turns me off.
    I am really having so much fun in sims 3, but we are all different and like different things, so best to play what you like the best. Have fun with your sims no matter what game you play, some still like sims 1 & 2. all is good.

Post edited by Evalen on
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Those outlines of the sims when you have a mouse on them are called "Hover Effects". I dislike those intensely and found them terribly distracting. It's just another factor that makes TS4 seem like a tablet game to me instead of a fully featured PC game.

After many complaints in the beginning they came up with a way to disable them but it has to be done in Origin. I did it once but every time Origin updates I think it has to be done again. At any rate at some point they appeared again and I never played the game enough to re-enter the cheat to get rid of those effects.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    The outline in ts4 only bothers me if I have accidentally left my mouse over something while I'm taking a picture and then it ruins my screenshot.

But I have to say that I am, once again, getting disheartened with the game. Ever since ts4 has been out, I seem to have been going around in circles - enjoying the game, bored of it, annoyed with it, enjoying it, frustrated with it etc. I actually uninstalled it after City Life came out and vowed never to play it again, but then they gave us toddlers and I reinstalled it and had a really fun time, ditto with vampires.

But I loaded it up tonight, after the new patch, and got so annoyed at the bugginess of it with my two toddlers. Just something as simple as getting them fed in their highchairs had me screaming at the screen...
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Fluffal wrote: »
    They both have their pros and cons

I miss a lot of the content from TS3 but I sure don't miss the load times :P

@Fluffal, as I see and played sims 4, it is all loading, everywhere you go. Sims 3 has just one loading and then you can go anywhere, no loading.
    Do you have the games mixed up :)

Those outlines of the sims when you have a mouse on them are called "Hover Effects". I dislike those intensely and found them terribly distracting. It's just another factor that makes TS4 seem like a tablet game to me instead of a fully featured PC game.

After many complaints in the beginning they came up with a way to disable them but it has to be done in Origin. I did it once but every time Origin updates I think it has to be done again. At any rate at some point they appeared again and I never played the game enough to re-enter the cheat to get rid of those effects.

I didn't know that! Learn something new every day. I don't know what the point of them is. Just seems to ruin the look of the game.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I still have the mod installed that removes them, because the ingame solution only takes them away when hovering (but they're still there when you select a sim or item). I don't want them at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    I don't know what the point of them is. Just seems to ruin the look of the game.
    I can only imagine the point of them is so that people can see what they are about to click on. Cos, you know, most people can't figure out where their mouse is pointing unless EA says 'HERE!!!' with a big highlight :D

To me, it is kind of like the way the game says 'sad', 'angry' etc in big words for us in case we can't tell from looking at our sim what kind of mood they are in *rolls eyes*.
  • JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    I like the idea behind multi-tasking in TS4; I think it adds to making the sims act more natually. I just don't like how they implemented it. They went way overboard to the point where sims pretty much do their own thing way too much and take way too long to do it. If they continue with it in the future I hope they tone it way down (I hope they tone a lot of things they put into TS4 way down, actually) and limit it to times where it makes sense and skip it when it takes too much control away from the player.

I hate the way they pause while cooking to look up at the sky, I mean what is up with that plum? I'm screaming at my screen what is your problem you slow plum. I like that they can eat and do other things that is handy but why the random sit-ups it's so annoying and then when they get whims for sit-ups I'm thinking are you really kidding me? Yeah the multi-tasking does make it seem more natural because they can talk at and look at other sims while they are doing other things which does make game play more realistic but it's such a small detail to sacrifice for everything else that it seems absurd that the multi-tasking was pushed as being so innovative it's a side point that should be in there anyway not the main selling feature how do they not get that?
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
    I don't know what the point of them is. Just seems to ruin the look of the game.
    I can only imagine the point of them is so that people can see what they are about to click on. Cos, you know, most people can't figure out where their mouse is pointing unless EA says 'HERE!!!' with a big highlight :D

To me, it is kind of like the way the game says 'sad', 'angry' etc in big words for us in case we can't tell from looking at our sim what kind of mood they are in *rolls eyes*.

Oh yes of course. I would never be able to tell my sim was angry as she stomped down the hall and slammed the fridge door without the big word ANGRY next to the sims portrait ;)

Makes me wonder how I played The Sims 1-3 without the game telling me how the sims felt!
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I don't want to sound like a whiny Sims 4 fan, but I like this game much more than TS3. Like many others, I hated it when if first released, after coming from a full loaded Sims 3 game, which is understandable, however, after some content released, I started to like TS4 much more than 3.

Some of you could ask themselves now: Why?

I have a simple reason for this:
    Of course, I can't deny that TS3 has much more content than 4, maybe TS4 will still have less content than TS3 at its end, but this isn't the point for me. I don't only want much content, but more good content.

A little example to show you what exactly I mean with that: After I got the Vampires GP for TS4, I was so impressed with it, the vampires were so fleshed out and so much more entertaining, that the vampires from TS3 immediately looked dull to me. The same with many other things from TS3 that just look halfbaked compared to TS4, toddlers are a great example of this, too, of course :) But not only this, the sims themselves look much more alive in TS4, sometimes I start the game only to take screenshots, because the sims are no emotionless robots like in TS3 anymore, which is a big improvement for me and beats everything TS3 offers content-wise.

But don't forget this is simply my opinion, and I don't want to bash TS3. I still play and like this game, I actually play it since I was 10 years old, and I also like many aspects of the game that I don't like about TS4, I just wanted to point out the things that are reasons for me liking TS4 more ;)
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top