Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    My laptop is a samsung rv511. Rather annoyed that the laptop repair man never stated that he put a motherboard in that wasnt the same as current. It used to be an i5 with nvidia geforce card. now its an i3 with intel HD graphics!

Some of the RV511 models came with Nvidia Geforce 315M graphics card, but I haven't seen anyone with an i5 CPU, they all seem to have Intel Core i3 380M or Intel Pentium P6100.

Samsung RV511 specs here and here.
  • WillowsGallWillowsGall Posts: 197 New Member
    @PHOEBEBEBE13 the current model number is NP-RV511-S02UK, prior to the repair was an i5 core with Nvidia Gefore 315M

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    @WillowsGall - A GeForce 315M is not generally deemed capable of running TS3, at least not in any supported way. I would say that you were very fortunate with that unit in the past up to a point.

Regardless of how you got to where you are now, you currently have a 32-bit OS tight on RAM, an i3 that I'm not sure can even support dual graphics (honestly am not sure about this but since you don't have dual any longer guess it's not important), and as you have seen no dedicated graphics card. You also have a 114.5GB hard drive, which over time is going to be really tight on space. It looks like the original drive was 500 GB. Again, this may not be how that unit was originally designed but as it stands now it is not suitable to play TS3. Do you have any recourse with whoever performed this "repair" job?

If that's a lost cause, I'm afraid you're going to have to find a way to up the budget for a new one a bit, seriously consider a desktop, or possibly find a different game to play difficult though I am sure that would be to accept. Forcing the machine you now have to perform better with TS3, depending on how many and which EPs we are talking about, is only going to damage it after a while and you will constantly be bumping up against the HD's space and its total RAM constraints.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    What is the newest model of MSI Laptop GT70 Series or GT80 Series or whats the better laptop

Thanks phoebebe13

It looks like the GT70 is older it has an 800 series card which is no longer made. The 900 series cards are better and newer. The 1000 series is even better and the newest nvidia cards

oops sorry i 4got it was meant to say it was the GT72S 6QE not GT70 sorry about that, the laptop i seen is the GT72 6QE Dominator Pro, and it's specs are
    Intel i7-6820HK Quad Core(2.7 Ghz, 8MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up to 3.6 Ghz)
    32GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5 Dedicted Memory
    Wireless LAN: Wireless(802.11ac Wireless)
    Network Card: 10/100/1000 Gigibit Fast Ethernet
    Are those specs great for the MSI GT72 6QE Dominator Pro G?

You don't need a 980 for this game, its a waste and no one needs 32 gb of ram . You don't need more than a 960 or 970 to run this game. You don't need more than 8gb ram
    @PHOEBEBEBE13 the current model number is NP-RV511-S02UK, prior to the repair was an i5 core with Nvidia Gefore 315M

agree with what @igazor has posted to you in this message below
    igazor wrote: »
    @WillowsGall - A GeForce 315M is not generally deemed capable of running TS3, at least not in any supported way. I would say that you were very fortunate with that unit in the past up to a point.

Regardless of how you got to where you are now, you currently have a 32-bit OS tight on RAM, an i3 that I'm not sure can even support dual graphics (honestly am not sure about this but since you don't have dual any longer guess it's not important), and as you have seen no dedicated graphics card. You also have a 114.5GB hard drive, which over time is going to be really tight on space. It looks like the original drive was 500 GB. Again, this may not be how that unit was originally designed but as it stands now it is not suitable to play TS3. Do you have any recourse with whoever performed this "repair" job?

If that's a lost cause, I'm afraid you're going to have to find a way to up the budget for a new one a bit, seriously consider a desktop, or possibly find a different game to play difficult though I am sure that would be to accept. Forcing the machine you now have to perform better with TS3, depending on how many and which EPs we are talking about, is only going to damage it after a while and you will constantly be bumping up against the HD's space and its total RAM constraints.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

• WillowsGallWillowsGall Posts: 197 New Member
    Thankyou for your help. What do I need to look for when getting a new desktop or laptop?
    8gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card? I live in the UK
    What is the newest model of MSI Laptop GT70 Series or GT80 Series or whats the better laptop

Thanks phoebebe13

It looks like the GT70 is older it has an 800 series card which is no longer made. The 900 series cards are better and newer. The 1000 series is even better and the newest nvidia cards

oops sorry i 4got it was meant to say it was the GT72S 6QE not GT70 sorry about that, the laptop i seen is the GT72 6QE Dominator Pro, and it's specs are
    32GB RAM

You don't need a 980 for this game, its a waste and no one needs 32 gb of ram . You don't need more than a 960 or 970 to run this game. You don't need more than 8gb ram

will thethe game will run and play with those specs?, nothing wrong with having more, as my current(soon to be old laptop) took 2 hrs to load a sims 3 save with no cc and has/had 8gb of ram, i 4got to mention the MSI Laptop has 1TB HDD and a 128GB

GTX 980 is too much and a 128 gb ssd too small. You need 250 gb or more on SSD. Better to have 500gb ssd so you don't have to move files to run the sims 3 on ssd. I have a 250 gb ssd and have to move files. You need to leave 50 gb free with the sims games

The SSD is what will make the game load quicker. even a large save will load in 5 minutes or less with SSD

Thanks phoebebe13

32GB RAM

will thethe game will run and play with those specs?, nothing wrong with having more, as my current(soon to be old laptop) took 2 hrs to load a sims 3 save with no cc and has/had 8gb of ram, i 4got to mention the MSI Laptop has 1TB HDD and a 128GB

EDIT: is there any difference in having sims3 and 4 physical or digital?

They will both be tied into origin unless you own the whole game on disc and the base game disc was issued before 2012 that does not require origin. The other option to play without origin is to own the game on Steam instead of origin

Thanks phoebebe13

32GB RAM

GTX 980 is too much and a 128 gb ssd too small. You need 250 gb or more on SSD. Better to have 500gb ssd so you don't have to move files to run the sims 3 on ssd. I have a 250 gb ssd and have to move files. You need to leave 50 gb free with the sims games

The SSD is what will make the game load quicker. even a large save will load in 5 minutes or less with SSD
    does the game not run on a GTX 980?, thanks i will find a bigger SSD and the game should load and run better

what model/type of SSD for the MSI Dominator Pro should i be looking for?

You cant change a laptop while under warranty. I did advise you to do custom. Its a much better choice
    edited October 2016

Thanks phoebebe13

32GB RAM

does the game not run on a GTX 980?, thanks i will find a bigger SSD and the game should load and run better

It will run on a 980 however its way too powerful for the game and a waste of money

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1J91TM

Thanks phoebebe13

32GB RAM

tt

what model/type of SSD for the MSI Dominator Pro should i be looking for?

You cant change a laptop while under warranty. I did advise you to do custom. Its a much better choice

or will it better to get an expert/professional to replace the SSD for me?

Your not supposed to alter your computer while under warranty . If you insist on buying MSI contact them directly
  • AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    Good evening!

Just wondering - is there any way for a sim to acquire a vehicle without me purchasing it for them? There's a fancy expensive car in the drive way (and it does belong to the household, I can move it around in buy mode). I didn't buy it though, and this is the only household I actively play. My one sim is in the top of the music career, did she get it somehow? (I play with autonomy off).

Thanks
    edited October 2016
    AllMadHere wrote: »
    Just wondering - is there any way for a sim to acquire a vehicle without me purchasing it for them? There's a fancy expensive car in the drive way (and it does belong to the household, I can move it around in buy mode). I didn't buy it though, and this is the only household I actively play. My one sim is in the top of the music career, did she get it somehow? (I play with autonomy off).
    That's probably their private limo. It's a career reward they get at Level 10 of the Rock Star branch of the Music career. I think Level 10 of the Symphonic Branch gets a snazzy state of the art stereo system.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Or could i wait until the warranty expires then do the upgrades and then extend the warranty?

Each company has their own warranty, contact the company directly like I mentioned. I believe you would have to purchase an extended warranty before the original warranty is up. They usually put the ssd on c drive so you would have to reinstall windows. Im sorry but these questions can not be answered here. We can only advise the best hardware for the game that meets the requirements. We have already done that. Two pages worth. Now this conversation is going in circles :/
    edited October 2016
    i will look up if i can upgrade without damaging the warranty sticker, or i will remove sticker do the upgrade and then place the sticker back where it was so it looks like i never did anything to the laptop
    You won't accomplish anything by removing and restoring stickers, an invalidated warranty is an invalidated warranty. Anyone bothering to look would be able to tell that your laptop had been opened up and a component replaced.

i know this isn't the right place to post this i apologize, one last question i'm wanting to make a new account with new email address and i'm a new member who and where could i ask to remove my current account from the forums
    Only gurus and other EA staff can help with that. You should try to get the attention of @SimStaffBethelle.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2016
    i will look up if i can upgrade without damaging the warranty sticker, or i will remove sticker do the upgrade and then place the sticker back where it was so it looks like i never did anything to the laptop
    You won't accomplish anything by removing and restoring stickers, an invalidated warranty is an invalidated warranty. Anyone bothering to look would be able to tell that your laptop had been opened up and a component replaced.

i know this isn't the right place to post this i apologize, one last question i'm wanting to make a new account with new email address and i'm a new member who and where could i ask to remove my current account from the forums
    Only gurus and other EA staff can help with that. You should try to get the attention of @SimStaffBethelle.

i think the warranty is invalid if you damage the laptop, if you're careful and don't damage anything, i believe you're fine, i researched the question and it's correct, it's fine as long as you don't damage anything

Thanks i'll message them and ask them to remove my account

i'm not replacing anything, just wanting to upgrading the SSD and the RAM, that's all

If it's under warranty only the laptop company is supposed to open the laptop. And if you upgrade the ssd you will have to reinstall windows. When you add more ram your supposed to replace the ram. It has to be all same make and model. You could cause your computer to malfunction

PS if you void the warranty thats between you and your laptop company. Has nothing to do with us. Asking all these warranty questions are not for this forum. Your back to hogging up this thread again :s
  • AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    That's probably their private limo. It's a career reward they get at Level 10 of the Rock Star branch of the Music career. I think Level 10 of the Symphonic Branch gets a snazzy state of the art stereo system.

It's a "Margaret Vaguester" car. I'm guessing it's her's? She is rank 10 in the symphony category.
    edited October 2016
    It's a "Margaret Vaguester" car. I'm guessing it's her's? She is rank 10 in the symphony category.
    Oh, that's probably the carpool vehicle for the upper career levels. There's a very old bug in the game whereby sometimes it gets stuck in your own household's inventory. I would just delete it, either using testingcheats shift-click or MasterController (Cheats module).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    i'm planning of moving all my files on my current laptop to my new one but i don't have a USB flash drive big enough to transfer them all what are the best cloud storage options i could use to transfer them, even ones u have to pay a fee for one, could anyone list ones over 1TB?
    Thanks
    phoebebe how do u copy/reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD? As i'm going to replace the 1TB HDD with a 2TB HDD or 1TB HDD, what type of SSD does the MSI GT72S 6QF Dominator Pro G Dragon have as i have searched and no luck :(
    i'm planning of moving all my files on my current laptop to my new one but i don't have a USB flash drive big enough to transfer them all what are the best cloud storage options i could use to transfer them, even ones u have to pay a fee for one, could anyone list ones over 1TB?
    Thanks
    phoebebe how do u copy/reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD? As i'm going to replace the 1TB HDD with a 2TB HDD or 1TB HDD, what type of SSD does the MSI GT72S 6QF Dominator Pro G Dragon have as i have searched and no luck :(

how do you install more ram on that model?

Your spamming this thread with too many back to back posts. If you don't know what your doing take your laptop to a local professional computer shop.
    edited October 2016
    Thanks
    Thanks

how do you install more ram on that model?

Your spamming this thread with too many back to back posts. If you don't know what your doing take your laptop to a local professional computer shop.

Thanks it will probably be safer than way, i aplogize for hogging this thread it wasn't my intention, sorry if u were getting annoyed with me posting too much, one last question it's a game issue though i have a game issue when a loaded my recent save there are no picture models of my sims or HUD, sims can't use anything and i have a lot of CC and mods any tips or advice would be helpful thanks

Documents folder > Electronic arts folder>The sims 3 folder. Pull the sims 3 folder to desktop and start your game. This will generate a new clean sims 3 folder. If the game works you probably have bad cc or mods in your old sims 3 folder . You can then pull the new sims 3 folder and replace it with the old folder . Tips on how to locate bad cc http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

also is your game using your nvidia card or intel?
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Hi, I'm still a new member so I can't post a thread on its own yet. But I've been having an issue recently with the sound in my game. It sounds... not distorted, but a bit static-y and as if every single instrument is being played loudly at once. Not sure how to describe it. Nonetheless, it is a sound issue. I have an MSI QE62 60F APACHE PRO computer with Realtek audio. Brand new computer, got it two weeks ago or so. I love playing my game with the sound on and this is making it unbearable. :neutral: Thank you if you could help.
  • cowlover1250cowlover1250 Posts: 8 New Member
    10 mins into playing my screen goes black then says unsupported mode and restarts. All expansions expect Showtime and late night. Once booted back up it will ether do the same a few times or show a black screen with no signal and takes a lot of tinkering to get back a picture. Specs of PC are as follows
    AMD FX-8300 3.30 GHz 8-Core
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB
    8 GB DDR3
    1 TB HDD

Dont know if it means anything but im using an old tv as a monitor with an HDMI cable. On the computer there is a spot that is labeled as HDMI and another that looks and fits the same. If i use the labeled one nothing shows up. So i use the unlables one a little lower on the back of the computer.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    10 mins into playing my screen goes black then says unsupported mode and restarts. All expansions expect Showtime and late night. Once booted back up it will ether do the same a few times or show a black screen with no signal and takes a lot of tinkering to get back a picture. Specs of PC are as follows
    AMD FX-8300 3.30 GHz 8-Core
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB
    8 GB DDR3
    1 TB HDD

Dont know if it means anything but im using an old tv as a monitor with an HDMI cable. On the computer there is a spot that is labeled as HDMI and another that looks and fits the same. If i use the labeled one nothing shows up. So i use the unlables one a little lower on the back of the computer.

The one lower on the back of the case is the correct port to use its your graphics cards port.
    Have you tried updating your GTX 960 drivers?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top