Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    @phoebebebe13 @igazor thanks for explaining for some reason I was lead to believe that if their was no life called that looked like "sims123.backupfile. Then everything was corrupted or did not save properly, so thanks so much for clearing things up! I wonder who'd given me that advice? Lol it was soo wrong xD
  • GamerPat28GamerPat28 Posts: 1 New Member
    Thinking about buying the full collection of sims 3
    I pretty much want everything i like lots of content
    Need to know if my laptop cam handle it

I7-4720HQ
    GTX 950m 2gb ram
    8gb ram
    1tb regular hdd
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    @GamerPat28 - We generally recommend a 960M or higher in that series of video cards for laptops to carry the entire game. I think this one may be a close call. With Pets and Seasons in particular,as they are the hardest hitting EPs, you may find that you have to not play on the highest of graphics settings in Game Options. Experiences will vary. Others may chip in here with different predictions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • LyokoWarriorLyokoWarrior Posts: 8 New Member
    So I've been working on a family recently and yesterday I started noticing problems with my save. I was able to fix it but upon starting it up again this morning, it started up again and I have no idea what to do. I never leave the game in town edit mode but it always starts up that way and upon switching to my family, there is nothing. Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have all EPs and Stuff packs installed for what its worth.
  • amazingemstoneamazingemstone Posts: 3 New Member
    Her everyone!
    I uploaded my sims 3 again to my new pc. I was able to install the items i downloaded from the sims resource before, but now i can't do that. I don't know where to put the items i downloaded. Please help me ^^
    So I've been working on a family recently and yesterday I started noticing problems with my save. I was able to fix it but upon starting it up again this morning, it started up again and I have no idea what to do. I never leave the game in town edit mode but it always starts up that way and upon switching to my family, there is nothing. Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have all EPs and Stuff packs installed for what its worth.
    Without any more information to go on, I would have to say that you are working with a corrupt save or rather an ongoing game that has become corrupt. Can you start a new game, play for a bit, save it, and load it up again properly without that Edit Town and no interface thing happening?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2017
    Her everyone!
    I uploaded my sims 3 again to my new pc. I was able to install the items i downloaded from the sims resource before, but now i can't do that. I don't know where to put the items i downloaded. Please help me ^^
    Custom Content (CC) for TS3 comes in two different formats. Which format is used is up to the developer, some provide both and let the player choose which one to use.

Sims3pack files are installed by saving them to the Downloads folder in your TS3 user game folder. The Launcher reads them from there, and you can then install the items using the Launcher.

Package files are installed by putting them in Mods\Packages, which is a Framework that the player must set up with the nested folders in the correct place and a properly made Resource.cfg file included.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

At no point should Package files be in Downloads nor should Sims3Packs be in Mods\Packages (you can use both kinds but cannot mix and match within each section) and there should be no zips, rars, 7zs, or other extraneous files in any of these places. The content often needs to be decompressed before use.

Does that help at all? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • BobsicalBobsical Posts: 18 Member
    Hello, I have recently purchased a new laptop and would like to install the sims 3 all from disc as I have the original base game from 2009 to avoid that horrendous 1.69 patch. However I notice that I have 119GB left on (C:) and 920GB left on (D:) would it make sense to install the game on the D drive? If so how do I do this? I know I select custom install and change the C to D for the installation path, but do I have to create a folder in the D drive for the games to be installed into? The laptop had 128GB ssd. I'm really worried I can make a mess of this. Or would it be better to leave things where they install naturally. Many thanks.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Bobsical wrote: »
    Hello, I have recently purchased a new laptop and would like to install the sims 3 all from disc as I have the original base game from 2009 to avoid that horrendous 1.69 patch. However I notice that I have 119GB left on (C:) and 920GB left on (D:) would it make sense to install the game on the D drive? If so how do I do this? I know I select custom install and change the C to D for the installation path, but do I have to create a folder in the D drive for the games to be installed into? The laptop had 128GB ssd. I'm really worried I can make a mess of this. Or would it be better to leave things where they install naturally. Many thanks.

128 gb ssd is too small to put the game on. You so need to install the game on d drive. I have not done this in a long time but I believe the disc will ask you where to install. You may have to scroll to find d drive when the disc give you install options. @igazor input Thanks
  • BluessunBluessun Posts: 139 Member
    How would 128Gb drive be too small? I have about 28Gb in install directory and about 5Gb in documents folder.
    Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
    "I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."
  • BluessunBluessun Posts: 139 Member
    Note self, learn to read...

It makes lot more sense to install on D drive.

One way is to go to my computer->open D drive. Right click->create new folder->name it something like games or sims or whatever. Start installing.
    Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
    "I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Bluessun wrote: »
    Note self, learn to read...

It makes lot more sense to install on D drive.

One way is to go to my computer->open D drive. Right click->create new folder->name it something like games or sims or whatever. Start installing.

They are installing via disc. The disc should ask the path to install.

128 gb ssd will have windows on it. Windows 8 and 10 need hard drive space.

The sims 3 not only uses physical memory but also virtual memory. You need to leave 50 gb free space on your hard drive after the game is installed. I have the game installed with windows on a 250 gb ssd and it gets used up quickly.
  • IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    Hello. So I want to put the HQ mod graphicsrule.sgr on my game. I have made a copy of the old one in a folder alone in case it doesn't work but I do have more eps and sps, and so when I go to program files to replace it do I have to replace it in all the eps and sps folders?
    edited July 2017
    Bobsical wrote: »

128 gb ssd is too small to put the game on. You so need to install the game on d drive. I have not done this in a long time but I believe the disc will ask you where to install. You may have to scroll to find d drive when the disc give you install options. @igazor input Thanks
    @Bobsical - Hi there. The installer should create the install location, most likely a new Program Files (x86) master folder, on D for you. The open question becomes where do you expect your user game folder, the one in Documents with your installed content, saved games, mods if any, etc., to end up. The best strategy I've seen when working with such a small C Drive is to redirect the entire Documents folder to D so there is never any worry about "which one" the game or any other program is reading. The procedures for doing so will vary by version of Windows, there's tons of sites about Documents redirect (or using Junction Points) all over the Web. I can't see any benefit of leaving Documents on C if it can be avoided at all with only 128 GB total to work with.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hello. So I want to put the HQ mod graphicsrule.sgr on my game. I have made a copy of the old one in a folder alone in case it doesn't work but I do have more eps and sps, and so when I go to program files to replace it do I have to replace it in all the eps and sps folders?
    Only the one for the base game unless the creator of the mod directs otherwise. I have never heard of or seen any instructions to touch the sgr files that come with the EP/SPs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you for your help. Will the game run slower with it being on the D: drive? Also the disc when installing defaults to picking the (C:) so I have to manually choose D from a drop down menu but where do I put the game in the (D:) drive? Do I create a folder I have never done this before.
  • IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    thank you @igazor
    I'm gonna replace it only on my base game and see
    Also since I can't edit my post I'll have to post again. Sorry. Where would I install patches to When needed? As I've heard that there is a my documents folder which stays on the C drive no matter where you install the game so would patches go there? Or on the D drive where the games are? Just in case it asks me where to install the patches to aswell. I've never done this before but I really appreciate the input and help. Thank you.
    edited July 2017
    @Bobsical - When a patch runs, it needs to know where the game program files are installed. If it can't figure it out on it's own, it may ask you where TS3W.exe is (or something like that) and you can Browse/direct it to wherever it got installed on D. Patches have nothing to do with the user game folder in Documents; in fact it's always a best practice to remove your game folder temporarily while patching or installing new EPs if you expect it to still work if it has important things in it already, like your ongoing game saves.

And, as I've just said but perhaps you missed my post, I would recommend getting your entire Documents folder redirected by Windows to D for lack of space anyway.

If C is a Solid State Drive (SSD) and D is a standard Hard Disk Drive (HDD), then the game will run slower on D only because you wouldn't be getting the SSD benefit by having it installed that way. If both drives are internal, the fact that it's on a different physical volume than Windows will make no difference.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor thank you for your help with this matter. I'am now looking for instructions on how to re-direct my documents folder.
  • amazingemstoneamazingemstone Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="igazor;c-15927245"][quote="amazingemstone;c-15926319"]Her everyone!
    I uploaded my sims 3 again to my new pc. I was able to install the items i downloaded from the sims resource before, but now i can't do that. I don't know where to put the items i downloaded. Please help me ^^[/quote]
    Custom Content (CC) for TS3 comes in two different formats. Which format is used is up to the developer, some provide both and let the player choose which one to use.

Sims3pack files are installed by saving them to the Downloads folder in your TS3 user game folder. The Launcher reads them from there, and you can then install the items using the Launcher.

Package files are installed by putting them in Mods\Packages, which is a Framework that the player must set up with the nested folders in the correct place and a properly made Resource.cfg file included.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

At no point should Package files be in Downloads nor should Sims3Packs be in Mods\Packages (you can use both kinds but cannot mix and match within each section) and there should be no zips, rars, 7zs, or other extraneous files in any of these places. The content often needs to be decompressed before use.

Does that help at all? :) [/quote]

Thanks a lot, but i couldn't quite understand. In my former pc, i put the items i downloaded to the 'downloads' part by doing this - /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/. But in my new pc, when i open the documents folder, there is no electronic arts folder. My electronic arts folder is in /this pc/c: section/program files (x86) -there are two program files folder but one has 'x86' beside it-/electronic arts/ and inside the electronic arts folder there is a EADM folder and the sims 3, the sims 3 ambitions, the sims 3 generations and the others.

I used to put them by doing this /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ and then before opening the game i would click on the 'downloads' and select all and then install them. But now i don't even know where to put them.

Pleaseeeee help me i want to play again
    edited July 2017
    @amazingemstone - You don't get a user game folder in Documents until the first time you launch the game. Then it has to appear, the game can't run without one. If you have already launched the game and the folder is not appearing in Documents, then it is spawning someplace else such as in OneDrive's Documents folder.

The Program Files (x86) are your game program install and patches, these have nothing to do with added content or what the user does with their game (such as making saves, adding mods, installing EA Store worlds, etc.). Generally speaking, the player should not be accessing files in Program Files (x86) unless directed to do so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Hi it's me again...sorry to be a pain but would you mind giving me a link to look at or step by step instructions on how to redirect my documents folder to D Drive please? It's a brand new laptop which cost me a fortune and I'm not that computer savvy with moving files and folders about don't want to do anything to Jeopardise my computer I'm kinda scared. Haha. Had a look round the web and some of the instructions were for different operating systems or just to move a folder out of the My Documents and creating junctions just confused me found it a bit daunting. I just need the correct instructions for Windows 10 and from someone who knows what they're doing like you. :). Thank you for your time.
    Also should I move the documents folder before or after I install the games?
    @Bobsical - Thank you for the compliment about my being someone who knows what he is doing, but here is where I have to admit that my experience with Win 10 is very limited. These links might be helpful, though.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/redirect-folders-drives-windows.html
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top