Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Wolf Den -- Reading Circle for New Stories -- FULL

Comments

• JordanSimsFJordanSimsF Posts: 221 Member
    Cement wrote: Β»
    Hey @JordanSimsF, welcome back :)

Ooh, sounds like you were super busy!
    Dressage? Wow! I Googled and I'm intrigued, how long have you done that sort of thing? :o

I started riding late 2014 and this year I competed in my first dressage this yea. I hope to start jumping soon :smiley:

On a not so happy note...
    I would like to resign form the group. I'm not active and it's not fair to the other members putting out so much while I'm not.
    You guys have been amazing. It was wonderful having you all reading and commenting on my story. Thanks so much for your support.

I think I have everyone followed on Wordpress so I will be reading your stories once I get time.

Thank you once again for having me and I wish you guys all the best in your stories and in your other endeavours :relaxed:
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    It's Cycle Sunday. :3
    Discussion #2, Week #7: Writing Style

So, this will be the last one of this kind of discussion. After this week, we'll be trying something new. :)

Author Questions:
    1) How do you decide where to put images in the chapters?
    2) How much of yourself do you put into your characters? Does that influence the story?
    3) How do you come up with new ideas for your story?

Reader Questions:
    1) In what ways is your writing similar to @Arrowleaf's? How is it different?
    2) Is there any part of the story that gave you inspiration for your own story?
    3) Is there any part of the story where you need clarification?
    4) Do you have any predictions about the story?

My Answers: (I won't forget because I'm not leaving this page until I do them...)
    1) We both tell the stories of characters who have very... messed up pasts (for the inability to use another word that I desire...). Hers is Willow, and mine is... Well, we'll find out who my messed up characters are, shall we? :3
    2) Actually, Willowpher gave me a bit of inspiration, as did Willow's messed up past as I previously stated. It gave me a HUGE idea for the backstory of a character in Heartbeats. :3
    3) Will Willowpher be a permanent thing? (I still need to catch up, so.... Yeah).
    4) I kind of predict that something really, really bad is going to happen in the very near future...
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    I actually have the chance to post my answers for this Cycle Sunday Monday. :3 And I even read the latest chapter this morning.
    Well Arrow always writes in first person, and I tend to live in third. And as Alexys said, we have this thing for dark pasts...
    The poses and CC? XD The 'Lynn wanting friends' chapter was kinda inspired by Willow (the idea hit me while I was reading it XD).
    I don't think so, I know whatever we don't know will be explained in future chapters (like whether Willow picks Jay or 'Topher).
    I made a comment about this earlier, but I see some foreshadowing happening (whether or not that's true, I see it), so I predict (knowing the challenge rules slightly) that Jay's drinking could be the reason the heir hates him...but that's just my thinking.
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I've been so dead here I think. Aaah :sob: Been a little busy... Bee. ....
    ...Every time I type "busy bee" I think of those little bees in Winnie the Pooh with the little dash trail lmao.

For Emma:
    1) In what ways is your writing similar to Emma's? How is it different?
    I write full, lengthy story chapters, but Emma is doing a playthrough-style kind of story.
    None so far :)
    It's all clear!
    I'll tell you what I didn't expect--Those triplets. :o I wonder who the heir would be? Since they're still toddlers, there's no clear way of who seems to be the one, but my guess is probably going to be the eldest.

For Arrow:
    1) In what ways is your writing similar to Arrowleaf's? How is it different?
    We're both writing stories with a little tinge of dark. ...Well mine's probably more than just a tinge LOL. She has everything written more in a first person sort of view while I have mine in my awkward third person. :joy:
    Seeing Jay in a uniform is inspiration in itself :smirk:Who doesn't like a man in uniform *fans self*
    On a serious note, I like the way Christopher talks. A lot. I don't think I'd have a character with an implied accent in my own story, but maybe in a future one.
    I'm good :)
    Well, for a bit, everything was going smoothly and things seemed kind of obvious--But then Jay upped his game and here I am on the edge of the Willopher ship trembling in my resolve. Now that Willow knows who shot her parents and is extremely unsatisfied with the culprit. I think that maybe she'll end up bargaining and let Carson off easy in the end. She wants justice, but right now she's struggling with what to do and she's starting to hole herself up angrily because no one seems to be supportive aside from Jay, who's being patient with her.

Aw shucks, although you're leaving, I hope you're still going to continue writing @JordanSimsF. I really like your story <3 Awesome news on dressage, though! Feel free to come back and leave a word whenever you have time :)

I also have news for everyone here--But don't look shocked. I'm not leaving. :joy:
    I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I know I wrote it out in my last chapter: I was renovating my old chapters to split. I finished redoing them all yesterday on Father's day! (I thought that was great timing for me since my story's about a single dad. :joy:)
    They're all the same Chapters as they were before, but I just split them all up into parts to accommodate for the total reading time. This is my favorite word count checker since it shows average reading length, and several of my chapters tipped half an hour if read in one sitting. To make things easier, I cut them into parts of less than 1k words that each sort of focus on certain ideas that are proposed in my characters' lengthy dialogue. (My characters have a lot of speaking parts, lmao.)
    As for what's written, nothing was changed except for some embarrassing typos (I wrote a few articles like three times so it sounded like I was stuttering lmao) and that I took even more screenshots to accommodate my older chapter's lengths. Hopefully it'll be easier for my newer readers to play catch-up now?

I also did an overhaul for my prologue too, but I didn't split it into parts since it's a prologue. ...That'd be kinda weird, I think.

I decided I was going to try posting chapters in Parts instead of full-length chapters now to reach my goal of weekly updates. Haha, that's like cheating isn't it

My alien story that I've mentioned here and there is going to be put on hiatus until I'm done with my classes since I don't think I could write that often. I don't know if I should put a notification or anything since I didn't even shine a light on it's existence on my blog yet. ...Even though my prologue is there LOL.
    I need to leave a few hours for study, and unfortunately, I can't write and study at the same time. ...Well I mean, I write when I study, but... :joy: I think I'll be able to start it up during Fall. Then again, I'm not sure about that either since I think the nursing program for my school starts in the Fall. I'm a terrible student for not being sure about these dates, heck Maybe I'll do it when I write everything out so it'll be super shocking when it's updated regularly. LOL.

I'm really excited for my alien story though. Hnnggg Sci-fi
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    edited June 2017

Dressage? Wow! I Googled and I'm intrigued, how long have you done that sort of thing? :o

I started riding late 2014 and this year I competed in my first dressage this yea. I hope to start jumping soon :smiley:

I would like to resign form the group. I'm not active and it's not fair to the other members putting out so much while I'm not.
    You guys have been amazing. It was wonderful having you all reading and commenting on my story. Thanks so much for your support.

I think I have everyone followed on Wordpress so I will be reading your stories once I get time.

Thank you once again for having me and I wish you guys all the best in your stories and in your other endeavours :relaxed:

You will be missed @JordanSimsF ! I will continue to read your legacy and wish you the best in your story, dressage competitions and life!

The recent resignations has me thinking about a few other members in our circle who haven't been active in a very long time (I've actually never even seen @Emma_Smith101 comment here since she's joined and I know @Dancer-freak has been on hiatus for over the month that we allow). I was wondering if we wanted to get the group to be more active outside of us 4 and recruit some new members? What does everyone else think?
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
    1) How do you decide where to put images in the chapters?
    I typically look for places in the text that I know I can replicate in game either with interactions or poses/minor photoshopping. I wish I was a photoshop god like @Cement (srsly, jelly of your abilities <3) and I am working on my editing a little at a time.

2) How much of yourself do you put into your characters? Does that influence the story?
    In the Landon's I put a TON of myself and people I know into the characters. The characters in my stories have various traits from people that I know, and I use how those people react to certain situations as a reference for my writing.

3) How do you come up with new ideas for your story?
    I tend to daydream a lot, and a lot of my ideas come from that. Also, I pull a lot of inspiration from stories my friends and family have told me about their past/present.

Thank you everyone for answering <3 I appreciate you all taking the time to read and comment on my story!

@Cement

I completely understand being busy and not having time for two stories (1 is hard enough sometimes! haha) but at the same time I am so excited to see where your alien story goes, you have no idea!
    4s8gctV.png
    edited June 2017

Oh my goodness, I only just now saw this. O.O I'm sorry to see you go, and unfortunately, I might have to remove Dancer as well for her inactivity (though I know it's computer troubles).
    I've been so dead here I think. Aaah :sob: Been a little busy... Bee. ....
    ...Every time I type "busy bee" I think of those little bees in Winnie the Pooh with the little dash trail lmao.

For Emma:
    1) In what ways is your writing similar to Emma's? How is it different?
    I write full, lengthy story chapters, but Emma is doing a playthrough-style kind of story.
    None so far :)
    It's all clear!
    I'll tell you what I didn't expect--Those triplets. :o I wonder who the heir would be? Since they're still toddlers, there's no clear way of who seems to be the one, but my guess is probably going to be the eldest.

For Arrow:
    1) In what ways is your writing similar to Arrowleaf's? How is it different?
    We're both writing stories with a little tinge of dark. ...Well mine's probably more than just a tinge LOL. She has everything written more in a first person sort of view while I have mine in my awkward third person. :joy:
    Seeing Jay in a uniform is inspiration in itself :smirk:Who doesn't like a man in uniform *fans self*
    On a serious note, I like the way Christopher talks. A lot. I don't think I'd have a character with an implied accent in my own story, but maybe in a future one.
    I'm good :)
    Well, for a bit, everything was going smoothly and things seemed kind of obvious--But then Jay upped his game and here I am on the edge of the Willopher ship trembling in my resolve. Now that Willow knows who shot her parents and is extremely unsatisfied with the culprit. I think that maybe she'll end up bargaining and let Carson off easy in the end. She wants justice, but right now she's struggling with what to do and she's starting to hole herself up angrily because no one seems to be supportive aside from Jay, who's being patient with her.

Aw shucks, although you're leaving, I hope you're still going to continue writing @JordanSimsF. I really like your story <3 Awesome news on dressage, though! Feel free to come back and leave a word whenever you have time :)

I also have news for everyone here--But don't look shocked. I'm not leaving. :joy:
    I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I know I wrote it out in my last chapter: I was renovating my old chapters to split. I finished redoing them all yesterday on Father's day! (I thought that was great timing for me since my story's about a single dad. :joy:)
    They're all the same Chapters as they were before, but I just split them all up into parts to accommodate for the total reading time. This is my favorite word count checker since it shows average reading length, and several of my chapters tipped half an hour if read in one sitting. To make things easier, I cut them into parts of less than 1k words that each sort of focus on certain ideas that are proposed in my characters' lengthy dialogue. (My characters have a lot of speaking parts, lmao.)
    As for what's written, nothing was changed except for some embarrassing typos (I wrote a few articles like three times so it sounded like I was stuttering lmao) and that I took even more screenshots to accommodate my older chapter's lengths. Hopefully it'll be easier for my newer readers to play catch-up now?

I also did an overhaul for my prologue too, but I didn't split it into parts since it's a prologue. ...That'd be kinda weird, I think.

I decided I was going to try posting chapters in Parts instead of full-length chapters now to reach my goal of weekly updates. Haha, that's like cheating isn't it

My alien story that I've mentioned here and there is going to be put on hiatus until I'm done with my classes since I don't think I could write that often. I don't know if I should put a notification or anything since I didn't even shine a light on it's existence on my blog yet. ...Even though my prologue is there LOL.
    I need to leave a few hours for study, and unfortunately, I can't write and study at the same time. ...Well I mean, I write when I study, but... :joy: I think I'll be able to start it up during Fall. Then again, I'm not sure about that either since I think the nursing program for my school starts in the Fall. I'm a terrible student for not being sure about these dates, heck Maybe I'll do it when I write everything out so it'll be super shocking when it's updated regularly. LOL.

I'm really excited for my alien story though. Hnnggg Sci-fi

Congratulations! Can't wait to go check it all out. :)

You will be missed @JordanSimsF ! I will continue to read your legacy and wish you the best in your story, dressage competitions and life!

The recent resignations has me thinking about a few other members in our circle who haven't been active in a very long time (I've actually never even seen @Emma_Smith101 comment here since she's joined and I know @Dancer-freak has been on hiatus for over the month that we allow). I was wondering if we wanted to get the group to be more active outside of us 4 and recruit some new members? What does everyone else think?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to go back and see what all members are active within the last few pages or so, and then revamp the thread a little bit. :)

EDIT: Added spoilers in the quotes to make the post a little shorter...
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Haha, @Arrowleaf, thanks for the compliment :joy:
    There's so much weird stuff in my alien story I'm so excited to write about. I mean, I've got 30 chapters done but I can't fully dedicate myself to it with all these time constraints. ...Though I really want to... I'm still debating if I wanna use the low-key gory screenshots for a new banner, but I dunno. It'd be false advertising since not a lot of sims die in it. Only like... I dunno, three. But that number's still up in the air too--Could be more or less LOL. I really like photoshopping blood so it might increase but I dunno
    How's that other story you were planning on basing off Raiza's Shadow? I still listen to the soundtrack 'cause it's still so good :sob:

And thanks, @SilentWolf101!

I wonder if our circle reboot will be successful? I hope there'd be more active kiddos here since I like coming around the forums and seeing my notifications blow up and waiting for my terribad wifi to load pages :joy:
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi! I've read your suggestions for open slots over at the reading circles and I wanted to ask if I could maybe join? I only have one story which is also read in another reading circle and which IS fairly new. Over there, we are giving each other support concentrating on the legacy part of the challenge itself, but since I'm really getting into story-driven stories and I'm completely new to them I would really like the sort of intricate discussions you have here and focus more on the story part of it, if you know what I mean. I'm still a pretty bad newbie.

I don't want to steal any places away, though! So if it's not possible for me to join it's completely okay. Just wanted to pop in and ask. :)
    Yay! I've got a new profile picture after how long have I been here again?

@Asaoyoru I would say that we are 100% able to welcome you into our little community. :) All I ask is that you fill out the registration form on the first page and send it in the thread so I can put all the necessary information up on the first post. :)
    Thank you! I'm not sure if that means that I'm in already, but I filled out the registration form anyway, since it's not much work. Hope I did everything right!

Username: Asaoyoru (Stardustdroplet in WordPress)
    Sims game(s) featured: Sims 4
    Main Theme: Family, Drama, Romance
    Story link: https://stardustdropletstories.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/generation-1-hannah-wilkis/
    Forum link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920201/build-newcrest-story-game-driven-updated-06-18-17-1-4-hello-stranger#latest
    @Asaoyoru Welcome! ^_^ I think you are officially in our little reading circle! <3
    4s8gctV.png
    Asaoyoru wrote: Β»
    Thank you! I'm not sure if that means that I'm in already, but I filled out the registration form anyway, since it's not much work. Hope I did everything right!

Story link: https://stardustdropletstories.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/generation-1-hannah-wilkis/
    Forum link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920201/build-newcrest-story-game-driven-updated-06-18-17-1-4-hello-stranger#latest

Welcome to the Wolf Den! :D Yes, you are officially a member. XD Let me add you to the first post. :)

Welcome! :3 Nice to see another build Newcrest challenge.
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
    Oh that's great <3 Thank you so much for having me! I chose this circle mostly because I'm already reading most of your stories and love them :joy:
    [/center]
    Oh that's great <3 Thank you so much for having me! I chose this circle mostly because I'm already reading most of your stories and love them :joy:

XD You're welcome. :) We're glad to have you here! :smiley:
    The first post of this thread has been given a bit of a face lift. :)
  • winterbaby20winterbaby20 Posts: 2,413 Member
    @SilentWolf101 are sims 3 stories welcome in this group?
    I fell asleep on my keyboard yesterday before posting here, woops. Too much walking around for school and my lazy legs are weak to the image of my bed :joy:

I'm a little late on the welcome wagon, but hello, @Asaoyoru! Welcome to the Wolf Den!
    And @winterbaby20, Sims 3 stories are welcome here :)
    @SilentWolf101 are sims 3 stories welcome in this group?

Yes they are. :) Most definitely. :)
    edited June 2017
    Great! I most definitely like to join this reading circle.
    Username:winterbaby20
    Sims game(s) featured: sims 3
    Main Theme: Mature, PG-16+, Romance, a little Violence, and Family
    Story link:http://thegraveslegacy.blogspot.com/
    Update Thread:http://thegraveslegacy.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by winterbaby20 on
    Great! I most definitely like to join this reading circle.
    Username:winterbaby20
    Sims game(s) featured: sims 3
    Main Theme: Mature, PG-16+, Romance, Violence, and Family
    Story link:http://thegraveslegacy.blogspot.com/
    Update Thread:http://thegraveslegacy.blogspot.com/

Oh hi! I read through your first couple chapters and left a comment on...Monday? But welcome to the group! :3
    7dW3gu7.gif
    edited June 2017
    @bellagorilla thanks
    Both of our founders come from a messed up past. My founder is no longer worrying about her messed up past.
    I don't think so.
    nope. she made everything clear in her story.
    I think her relationship with her boyfriend and friend is over since she didn't clear up the confusion.
    Ooh, is that a violence tag I see? Awesome! :D
    I'll read up on your story @winterbaby20 along with @Asaoyoru's when I get back home :)
    @Cement fair warning violence doesn't show up until later on in one of the generations