Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruGraham explains no Expansions. No more EP's as we know them? New strategy?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Graham also explains that The Sims 4 isn't going to follow a the "traditional" release the previous games have had.

This might be an indication that since we are almost 2 years into The Sims 4 and normally we know early on a sequel is being made (we knew about The Sims 3 in 2005), that the 5 year traditional release isn't what's happening for The Sims 4.

Which may explain why they decided to upgrade the lighting and the graphics, despite the game already being established.

---ALSO SOUNDS LIKE THEY WANT TO DITCH EP'S BECAUSE THE MARKETPLACE NO LONGER ADAPTS TO THEM---

THIS DOES NOT MEAN EP's AND THEIR CONTENT IS BEING DITCHED JUST THE WAY THAT CONTENT IS DELIVERED IS CHANGING. IT COULD MEAN EP's BECOME SOMETHING DIFFERENT ETC.

Thoughts?
Post edited by jackjack_k on

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I would love it ! Long live the Sims 4 ! :D

I guess the primary factors when deciding to switch other to a new iterations would be performance, how much they can modify and build upon the engine and sales. It seems they planned TS4 with these in mind, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it last longer, assuming sales are still high.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    great thread !

all "live service" aside
    there has to be an understanding of what this franchise is about at the bottom, at the core
    & this is what is missing from TS4, was from the very beginning of TS4, way before it was released, while the basegame was developed

not the "live service" or the distributions are the problem of this iteration but the lack of understanding that some features SIMPLY HAVE to be in the game to be
    A ) a sims game at all
    B ) enjoyable to play

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited July 2016
    @Neia wrote: »
    I would love it ! Long live the Sims 4 ! :D

I guess the primary factors when deciding to switch other to a new iterations would be performance, how much they can modify and build upon the engine and sales. It seems they planned TS4 with these in mind, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it last longer, assuming sales are still high.

I begin to wonder if they wanted The Sims 3 to last longer...

May explain why The Edge of Reality (who worked on the console game) said The Sims 3: Pets wasn't the last game to come out for console and there would be DLC for Pets.
    Fast forward to 2014, and the "DLC" for Pets ended up being a free patch (not that I'm complaining) and no new Sims 3 game for console.

34de6f3338c379258333120aab0d94fa6bb17b48_hq.jpg

It may explain why it was all so abrupt. Especially since it was weird of EA to give us that for free.

All speculation, of course. But it seems weird EA canned projects that would have made them money.

It's just, not EA. Then again, I can't imagine 3 still being current in 2016. It hasn't aged well simply because developers didn't make tweaks, like they have done with 4 (eg Lighting)
  • dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    great thread !

all "live service" aside
    there has to be an understanding of what this franchise is about at the bottom, at the core
    & this is what is missing from TS4, was from the very beginning of TS4, way before it was released, while the basegame was developed

not the "live service" or the distributions are the problem of this iteration but the lack of understanding that some features SIMPLY HAVE to be in the game to be
    A ) a sims game at all
    B ) enjoyable to play

I don't understand what you mean by "understanding of what this franchise is about at the bottom, at the core" I've seen people say stuff like this before but I don't get it. I never noticed that each game had it's own thing it was about... I thought they were all just about life-simulating. Would you care to explain? I want to know so that I can get what people are saying when they mention this
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I begin to wonder if they wanted The Sims 3 to last longer...

May explain why The Edge of Reality (who worked on the console game) said The Sims 3: Pets wasn't the last game to come out for console and there would be DLC for Pets.
    Fast forward to 2014, and the "DLC" for Pets ended up being a free patch (not that I'm complaining) and no new Sims 3 game for console.

34de6f3338c379258333120aab0d94fa6bb17b48_hq.jpg

It may explain why it was all so abrupt. Especially since it was weird of EA to give us that for free.

All speculation, of course. But it seems weird EA canned projects that would have made them money.

It's just, not EA. Then again, I can't imagine 3 still being current in 2016. It hasn't aged well simply because developers didn't make tweaks, like they have done with 4 (eg Lighting)

Wait...what? They updated TS3 pets for console and added more content to it. I haven't touched that game since half a year into it's release. I need to check this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out. :D
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Wait so what will we get instead if we dont have EPs?
    giphy_1.gif
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »

More SPs and GPS?
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting.

My guess is the focus is less on big bi-yearly EPs and several smaller SPs and a few GPs.

It is a shame though, the EPs where always hyped up but I guess that 'things change' so the old rules do not always apply?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

More SPs and GPS?

I'm slighty scared then, will that mean that generations for example gets split up with the content and put into different packs like toddler pack or preteen pack, pet pack etc?
    giphy_1.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2016
    The Sims 4 turn into The Sims 4 FreePlay with a new DLC system.

Welcome to the EA Mobile area !

Samantha Ryan is the senior vice president of EA Mobile and Maxis.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    QDog wrote: »

Apparently 1-2 GPs a year and a plum load of SPs lol that doesn't mean we will not get EPs though. It's just we may not get as many EPs as in past iterations because we now have GPs

I hope they reconsider their options. I like having stuff but CC can satisfy most of my desires for new objects. I want new gameplay and game changing features (and when I say this I mean deep gameplay, not SP gameplay which is always very limited).

And free patch content too !
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited July 2016
    dafadolly wrote: »
    great thread !

all "live service" aside

A ) a sims game at all
    B ) enjoyable to play

I don't understand what you mean by "understanding of what this franchise is about at the bottom, at the core" I've seen people say stuff like this before but I don't get it. I never noticed that each game had it's own thing it was about... I thought they were all just about life-simulating. Would you care to explain? I want to know so that I can get what people are saying when they mention this
    this will be tough to gather it in short
    because it is about understanding of those main features, i'll try my best :smile:

main features
    it has to be based on what's normal, average IRL, mainly in the modern western culture
    it has to be planned starting with everything which is contained IRL
    it is of course impossible to make a game like that so one has to cut
    but the main features which have to remain are

* family & friends - family tree, ghosts, relationships - all this has to be ROCK SOLID & fleshed out
    * jobs & hobbies - earning money & have fun in free time - it has to be RICH in gameplay & wide & offer lots of freedom for the player to make it the player's game & not to force the devs' game on players
    * a town structure - townhall, politics career, cars, apartments ...
    * everything SIMPLY HAS to be editable & accessible by the player - all houses, terrain, all sims, all NPCs - this is how players trully RULE

& TS4 lacks everywhere with those main features
    just surf those forums, especially the feedback, bugs & ideas sections & you find that all complains are based in lacks in exact those points
    they may be worded differently but the functionality asked is those main features

when people point out that not all of those features were in the previous iterations then this is short sighted
    TS4 is the fourth iteration, it has a history of 16 years meantime, there has to be progress !
    there are numerous threads where people have repeatedly stated that they would loved to have TS2 & TS3 combined with TS4 graphics,
    well, maybe not the cartoonish feel, but i think people would accept even that if those other features were there

edit
    one thing i forgot

* supernatural stuff

it's not the absolute main thing but it is about dreams, dreams are important in a game about humans, very important !
    without it is a boring grind game nobody would really love to play

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
    P42bHqyOa2mk0.gif
    Don't you ever say I just walked away I will always love you EPs!
    giphy_1.gif
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

More SPs and GPS?

I'm slighty scared then, will that mean that generations for example gets split up with the content and put into different packs like toddler pack or preteen pack, pet pack etc?

No idea. I don't think Graham's responses really spoke much to that. He just basically said that the game is not following any previous patterns and that they're shifting to a "Live Service" model for TS4. I've heard that before, but honestly I'm not sure what that means or why they're changing. I don't think they've made it clear.

I also wonder if that means that we'll just see large content packs wane and if this iteration will continue to focus on small packs. If so, what does that mean when it comes to the "classics" that people are waiting for? Still a lot of questions.

I appreciate Graham's response, though.

IHJCfa6.jpg
    Lowkey panicking!
    giphy_1.gif
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    This explains a lot. I hope they'll be able to be more open about this soon. It's unfortunate that we're experiencing the effects of their new strategy in our game, but don't get any information about what's going on because they're "not ready to talk about it". Their actions and their communication is not corresponding, and so fans naturally get confused and frustrated.

I think I like the idea though, it sound like it means more large free updates.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    (should be in bed, but...)
    Sounds like they'll be focusing more on content patches. Not a bad thing, but I still want to see plenty of EPs, not sure if we'll be seeing those as often now (what's a live service anyways? At least in terms of this?)

I'm certainly not interested in the game staying around for longer than 5 years if they can't figure out this relationship culling nonsense.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I think the Game Packs have been really well made for the most part, but how much content can they fit into them? A lot of people want Seasons, Pets, Apartments and so on. The latter I can see being delivered in a Game Pack but the former two not so much.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I'm not really seeing the whole "No more EPs" thing. Am I missing something?

The question Graham was answering was "Why is there no news of an Expansion?" and his answer was that they are in the process of transitioning to a Live Service, and they are finding new ways to deliver content because the marketplace is changing.

It makes sense seeing as the "Expansion" model was introduced 16 years ago. So much has changed since then except Expansions.

Maybe we'll have DLC packs, that are cheaper but stick closer to a theme.

EG. The 3 GTW careers, objects and goods as $20 and then Retail and Mag Prom $15.

Maybe they also realise $40 is a lot of money nowadays for DLC.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top