Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason why The Sims 4 isn't as good.

Comments

• WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @WillowG145
    Personally I like TS4 because it doesn't have open world, CaST or story progression for example. I'm glad they removed the things I didn't like ;)

Than you are one of the lucky ones I've mentioned. You like the sims 4 because it is lacking stuff you didn't care. But as much as I can be happy for you tha you that can like it, I'm on the other side where these things are part of the things I can't like about the sims 4, becaiuse those features were important for me.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    @WillowG145
    Personally I like TS4 because it doesn't have open world, CaST or story progression for example. I'm glad they removed the things I didn't like ;)

Than you are one of the lucky ones I've mentioned. You like the sims 4 because it is lacking stuff you didn't care. But as much as I can be happy for you tha you that can like it, I'm on the other side where these things are part of the things I can't like about the sims 4, becaiuse those features were important for me.

It isn't "lacking" in my case, since I count it as a positive. Would you say TS4 is lacking bugs for example ?
    @WillowG145

It isn't "lacking" in my case, since I count it as a positive. Would you say TS4 is lacking bugs for example ?

Quite franky, I didn't play enought to see many bugs in the sims 4 (I played it later, so no monster baby for me) I had glasses and plates attached to hands, and one or two times I had a loop passing to a community lot, but I had few in the sims 3 too. (nothing that a resetsim couldn't fix, anyway. And I never used mods to take away bugs. I must be quite luck in that departmant, as I have said.)

But the sims 4 have too few things that I can like, because all I liked have been taken away.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I just came from Carl's site, reading about the writer's career (sent there via a topic about that subject) and for me that sums it up.
    This Guide will teach you all you need to know to be successful with this Skill, though it has been simplified compared to the previous versions in earlier iterations of the Sims Franchise. All books take about the same time to write, and Bestsellers produce similar earnings.

That topic also makes clear people not caring about things like that are the majority, so I guess EA made the right decision. Oh well, I do have Sims 3 to turn to every time things get too shallow in 4 ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Than you are one of the second group I've mentioned. You are one of the lucky ones that can appreciate the sims 4 without toddlers, significant family play, Create a style, color of hair indipendent from the hairstyles, colour wheel, open world, actual events in the town, lot like cemetary, story progression, terrain tools, create a world, saturation sliders for make up, cars, good genetics, signifcant NPCs (and others I'm now forgetting at the moment)

The sims 4 lack a lot of stuff. There is no denyng it. A game can be appreciated without some stuff, but me, and if I have to guess by forums, facebook, and other media, the things that the sims 4 lack are a problem in appreciate the game for a non small part of players.

Sims2 is actually the only one in the series to actually have genetics, where brown eye/brown hair was dominant and blue eye/blonde hair was recessive, to where even if you changed the hair color of a sim, the game would remember the original color and pass it off to the child and not the color change. Actual genetics was never in Sims3 and was left out from Sims2.

Story progression is about the same for Sims3 as it is in Sims4. In sims3, you needed NRAAS to make your world work right, in Sims4 its the MC_Command Center. Story progression for Sims3 is pretty much broken, the popularity and necessity of NRAAS would indicate that it is.

Even with all that is "missing" from the game as it is put, I would much rather play this version of the Sims over a complete Sims3 any day of the week. Why does it constantly seem that if you like Sims4, there must be something wrong with you and the way you enjoy your game.
    Sims 3 has genetics alright, it just doesn't have Sims 2's very simplified dominant-recessive method. Genetics is more than that though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    How can somebody not like Cast, plum? And you can turn story progression off in TS3 in case you didn't know.

The reasons I've seen for not liking CASt were: noticeable lag in CAS/Build-Buy and/or on lots (obviously, like any Sims 3 lag, not universal and not entirely computer-power dependent), and ending up spending more time picking colors and patterns than playing, which some players didn't really notice till they didn't have it anymore in Sims 4. For me personally, I didn't actively dislike it but I've not missed it either. I'd be happier with a color palette added to the game, though - not a full wheel as that's harder to match colors with than a palette.

The SP off mechanism wasn't satisfactory to a lot of players. If you had aging on, your town died off. If you had aging off, it was more work than Sims 4 is now to play with other households to keep the town moving along. Managing Sims 3 SP as a rotational player sent me to mods for the first time ever to find a way to make it non-frustrating for me. (Sadly, back at that now, but the first year + of not needing any for Sims 4 as a rotational player was awesome.)

Anyway, it's yet more evidence that not everyone values the same things the same way, and that the detail in implementing some of them (e.g., just how does turning off SP work out in practice) matters more to some people than others. It's why Sims 4 is not as good for some people, better for others. I do get frustrated when I see Sims 4 preferrers effectively being told they're wrong for holding the preferences they do, or that they're preferences don't make sense.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited July 2016
    The reason for not liking CASt I can imagine is that in Sims 3 many default items and clothes are kind of plain and ugly, in order to challenge you into using CASt I guess. And if you don't care for that I can imagine you prefer ready to go and more pretty. This improved when the years went by, interiors and outfits became more 'prêt-à-porter'.
    I don't quite see how CASt will cause lag in CAS/build mode. The long wait is all the items and patterns to load, but that's not CASt. Sims 4's classifying system simply is better and much more efficient (and for me this waiting and endlessly scrolling through shirts and decoration items didn't start before I had a lot of additions attached to my game; CASt was there from the very beginning).
    CASt also doesn't cause lag on lots, because there simply is no difference for the game whether it renders a preset surface or a custom made one. The surfaces do have two layers where Sims 4 only has one, but apparently that just takes tenths of seconds longer than one layer. The funny thing is, that people who declare they don't like CASt because of the 'lag', also quite often present CC as a solution. CC however slows down your game much more.

I don't think universal aging and SP are the same thing? Whenever I see people declaring sims in their game get married autonomously and get kids I'm jealous, because I have only one complaint concerning SP in Sims 3: it's not there in my game.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I don't like CASt because CASt means less preset available in the game. If I want to make my own clothes/items, I make CC.

It's basically the same thing as people liking/not liking Newcrest because it had no premade houses. Some people enjoyed that, some people didn't.
    edited July 2016
    I don't like CASt because CASt means less preset available in the game. If I want to make my own clothes/items, I make CC.

It's basically the same thing as people liking/not liking Newcrest because it had no premade houses. Some people enjoyed that, some people didn't.
    Yes, I understand that and it's true (Sims 3 has about three choices per item I think, sometimes a bit more and Store items less). I do wish though that Sims 4 had more varied preset choices to be honest. Some items come with the very same pattern, just different colours.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    They could've at least added the ability to mix/match swatches. Like red bed with the option of a white, brown, or black frame rather than having to choose blue for the white frame and green for the brown frame. Same for several CAS items.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm also in the disagree that the Sims 4 is not as good camp.
    Personally, I think it's better now than the prior games. I played Sims 1 and Sims 2 as they were being released same as I'm doing now. I disliked 3 intensely but tried to play it .. twice. I actually bought it again this last February with whatever additions the starter pack has in it. I got 8 hours in and gave up again. I just don't like the art style.. and believe it or don't... I don't like the open world. I did like the color wheel.. but CASt with all the patterns.. I just didn't bother with it. The Sim 3 game did not run badly for me either by the way.
    I also think comparing a Sims game to a first person shooter doesn't hold up. You have to have resources to spare for running multiple Sims, being able to switch between them. Create different worlds and remember all the stuff and relationships ect. Then you add in the variety of animations, objects to interact with ect. Then you have to have the resources to see the series through as you add new packs on.
    It just isn't the same. If you compared it to another simulation game like the sims I'd understand... Oh wait there are no other games like it unless we compare the series to itself (which also happens all the time in cycles and cycles ).
    I just also wanted to say I agree so much with what @Prink34320 said about Sims 2 .. I loved that game but so much of my time in reality was spent downloading mods and searching mods and CC.... Needs were too hard to keep up without having modded cheats or using the tombstone of life and death, which eventually I just pulled out and left on every lot. I love that I don't have too cheat to enjoy it. I actually have time to play with my sims .. not just fill their needs.
    egTcBMc.png
    edited July 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Yes, I understand that and it's true (Sims 3 has about three choices per item I think, sometimes a bit more and Store items less). I do wish though that Sims 4 had more varied preset choices to be honest. Some items come with the very same pattern, just different colours.

Some of the items in the most recent SPs have great preset choices I think, like the suits in Romantic Garden, with floral pattern as well as plain ones, or the T-shirts in Kid's room.

I created myself many, many presets in the sims 3. Both in textures and stuff. You could create your own without having to close the game and make/find CC. That was just one fo the many use of Create a Style.

I created myself many, many presets in the sims 3. Both in textures and stuff. You could create your own without having to close the game and make/find CC. That was just one fo the many use of Create a Style.

That's good for you, I didn't want to do it in game personally, I prefered using a dedicated image software to make my CCs. To each its own ;)
    @WillowG145

I'm not sure I'm understanding what I read. Are you saying TS4 is lacking bugs? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Precisely, that would be utterly ridiculous ! Open world is as desirable as bugs for me, which means saying "TS4 is lacking open world" is just as ridiculous as saying it's lacking bugs.
    edited July 2016
    @WillowG145

I'm not sure I'm understanding what I read. Are you saying TS4 is lacking bugs? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Precisely, that would be utterly ridiculous ! Open world is as desirable as bugs for me, which means saying "TS4 is lacking open world" is just as ridiculous as saying it's lacking bugs.

Ya know Neia I see you posting about how happy you are with TS4, how happy you are that this is missing or that is missing. Maybe other people aren't so happy with that and it's okay for them to post how they feel without someone trying to argue them out of their opinion.

How is she trying to change someone's opinion? She's providing related feedback that disagrees; this is not the "only feedback that agrees with the OP" category. Maybe it's okay for someone to provide positive feedback without having someone try to argue them out of it too. You know, like it might be actually okay to say you didn't like CASt without five people trying to tell you why you're outright wrong.

For the record: Lots I used more than a tiny bit of CASt in rendered more slowly than lots I didn't touch it for, playing at or just above recommended specs. That's fact, and a reason I didn't miss CASt at all (I could use it, but only at a performance cost that annoyed me). It's part of my don't-want-full-CASt-back feedback, not an attempt to squash someone else's opinion.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @WillowG145

Ya know Neia I see you posting about how happy you are with TS4, how happy you are that this is missing or that is missing. Maybe other people aren't so happy with that and it's okay for them to post how they feel without someone trying to argue them out of their opinion.

I'm not trying to argue, just explaining my point of view and why other people may not see the same things as lacking. WillowG145 said "The sims 4 lack a lot of stuff. There is no denyng it". I'm just trying to explain that it's in fact a subjective matter. You don't have to share my opinion and I'm not trying to change yours.
  • coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2016
    snip.
    Multiple people sharing an opinion does not make that opinion nonsubjective.

That's good for you, I didn't want to do it in game personally, I prefered using a dedicated image software to make my CCs. To each its own ;)

Why use an outside program when you can do it in real time while playng? :/ meh, I respect your preference, but I don't agree with it.