Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So this is how photos/paint from reference keeps getting cc tagged when shared to gallery

m11kjm11kj Posts: 410 Member
First off, if you don't have any cc/mods in your game, then you shouldn't have this problem. EA should already fixed it in the May 17th 2016 patch so no game w/o cc could have their build tagged as cc when uploaded to the gallery bc of the photos/paintings.
(ETA: from discussions below, it appears that if you have previously mistakenly cc tagged creations and your game is actually cc free, you could still have the problem. Reason from my guess is similar to situations described below.)

But unfortunately, if you have even just a single piece of costume content in the game like me, you are likely to still have this problem. It could be annoying, even ridiculous. Spent today doing some tests and here are the circumstances where the tag would/would not appear:

1. Some ccs that are not cas cc could cause the problem. for instance, I have the no mosaic mod from moxiemason, and it's technically not a scripted mod as it is classified upon launch into the "cc" category. However, once installed, it will cause the photos and paint from reference to be tagged as cc no matter the occasion. This is pretty ridiculous, as most scenery pictures you take has literally no visual difference to how they are w/o the mod.

2. If a townie sim has even just a single piece of cc on them and they are NOT CURRENTLY WEARING IT*1, AND they are currently on your lot*2, when you take a random picture with or without them in it, ur picture will be tagged as cc!
*1: meaning say they have one piece of cc on their everyday outfit and they are currently in their pjs which has no cc.
*2: extreme cases could be like they are on the edge of you loaded neighborhood.

3. If your sim who's taking the picture/painting has a single piece of cc on them, currently wearing it or not, the picture will be tagged as cc!

4. If any of your sim's household members have any cc on them, currently wearing it or not, currently on your lot or not, whenever you take a picture/paint your creations will be tagged as cc!

5. Poses do not seem to cause any problem, nor do most scripted mods. I have Andrew's pose player and several scripted mods tested and don't seem to have any problem.

6. All of the tests are done in a brand new save after repairing the game and resetting the sims 4 folder.

Well, I get that ea has no responsibility in supporting cc or anything, but it's getting a bit ridiculous? why should any townie's fashion choice affect my painting of my flower just bc the game generated them on my neighborhood??? and just, why should any cas cc be counted into consideration when they are not even gonna appear in a uploaded build???!!

W79XhDj.png
Post edited by m11kj on

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello
    It was helpful to read the results of your testing. Thankyou for sharing them here , to help other simmers who use cc /mods in their games.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Just wanted to add that while Maxis fixed the bug with regard to photos in the May patch, paintings by reference were *not* fixed.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that while Maxis fixed the bug with regard to photos in the May patch, paintings by reference were *not* fixed.

I went on a testing spree the other day with this trying to figure it out, do you think there is any validity to my test results:

On home lots that were created prior to the patch any paintings and photos created on those lot are being marked as CC, the painter/photographer can still go to another lot (not home) and create items and bring them home and they will not be marked CC. On any lot that was created after the patch all photos and paintings crafted on that home lot are not being marked as CC. Lots that were created before the patch but moved to another lot (and adjusted) after the patch are treated as new lots and crafted items are not tagged with CC. Saving, bulldozing and replacing a lot created pre patch with the same lot treats the lot as a newly created lot and allows newly crafted photos and paintings to be CC free. To be clear, save the lot CC free, I had to recreate all the paintings/photos that were there and previously marked as CC. You can not simply take a picture or paint an affected piece of CC, the resulting photo or painting will (this one I dont understand) be marked cc even when all other new paintings and photos are being marked as CC free.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • m11kjm11kj Posts: 410 Member
    @BryonyRae they are in my new save game with absolutely no mods/cc after repairing and resetting the sims 4 folder. BTW, if you download from gallery an already cc tagged photo/painting and try re-upload/create a copy/repaint them from reference, it won't work. it will still be tagged as cc.

W79XhDj.png
    Nectere wrote: »
    You can not simply take a picture or paint an affected piece of CC, the resulting photo or painting will (this one I dont understand) be marked cc even when all other new paintings and photos are being marked as CC free.

@Nectere The reason for this i guess is similar to the townies with cc clothing appearing on loaded lot causing the pictures getting marked. The game only considers whether the moment the picture was taken was cc free or not. So say every cc tagged object has a "mark", and the game scans and detects every "in-game" object upon the action of taking a picture. so the moment u take a picture of that cc-ed creation, that creation and its mark is still "in-game", so game marks the new picture as well.

believe me or not when you take a random picture with that cc creation in game, your pic is gonna get marked. (Just tested it, it's true!)

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    I just tested taking pictures with CC pictures sitting in the game and the resulting photos were not marked CC but they were not of the CC pictures they were of something else, however when I took a picture of the CC the resulting photos were again marked as CC. (on a lot thats been updated since patch) testing caused bfbvfs

For test purposes make sure the room you are testing is enclosed as a single wall with photos not enclosed did not pick up on the CC tag either way which is something I didnt notice before.
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Origin ID NectereSim
    edited July 2016
    @Nectere what i meant is, the game gives every cc tagged object a "mark", whether they are an actual cc or a mistakenly marked object like your own pre-patch painting from reference. when you take a picture of that painting, that painting and it's given mark is still "in-game", that's why the new picture gets marked as well. it doesn't matter whether you actually take a picture of THAT painting or not, as long as it is placed on the lot, your new pic is gonna get marked.

edit: typo

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    @m11kj Gotcha, yeah I am getting varied results now on whether CC photos/paintings can be on lot at all - so much so that I have managed to crash it twice and its showing me I have twice as many pics as I took and their icon is of someone elses photos lol I think its safe to say its buggered up. And yeah it didnt matter what I took a pic of this time - 20 minutes ago it did. *sigh*

My other tests still hold water in my game tho, as long as I replace the lot all new stuff is CC free

Did you notice any weirdness with wall vs room on the CC tag?
    Origin ID NectereSim
    @m11kj Gotcha, yeah I am getting varied results now on whether CC photos/paintings can be on lot at all - so much so that I have managed to crash it twice and its showing me I have twice as many pics as I took and their icon is of someone elses photos lol I think its safe to say its buggered up. And yeah it didnt matter what I took a pic of this time - 20 minutes ago it did. *sigh*

My other tests still hold water in my game tho, as long as I replace the lot all new stuff is CC free

Did you notice any weirdness with wall vs room on the CC tag?

Do you mean the location of where the painting is placed? it doesn't seem to make any difference. Or do you mean the walls appear differently when tagged as cc? That i'm not sure, but haven't notice anything so far.

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    m11kj wrote: »
    @m11kj Did you notice any weirdness with wall vs room on the CC tag?
    Do you mean the location of where the painting is placed? it doesn't seem to make any difference. Or do you mean the walls appear differently when tagged as cc? That i'm not sure, but haven't notice anything so far.

I mean when saving a room with CC photos/paintings in a room vs just on a wall - it appears I am able to save it both ways but have different outcomes? or maybe I fried something.

Origin ID NectereSim
    @m11kj Did you notice any weirdness with wall vs room on the CC tag?

I mean when saving a room with CC photos/paintings in a room vs just on a wall - it appears I am able to save it both ways but have different outcomes? or maybe I fried something.

sigh, it does take a huge effort doing these tests when it should be ea's job.:( i don't think they make any difference at least in my game. i've tested both ways, both gets marked.

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    While the photos are in an enclosed room its marked as CC. But if I put the photos on a wall and select save this room by selecting the wall (just one wall all by itself with photos on it), the wall was not marked CC - however if those same photos are enclosed into a room the room gets tagged with CC. The photos themselves didnt change, the tag was being applied to the room, but not to the wall, with the very same photos on it.

I am not sure if I am explaining myself correctly.

the why of things is what drives me over the edge...
    Origin ID NectereSim
    edited July 2016
    While the photos are in an enclosed room its marked as CC. But if I put the photos on a wall and select save this room by selecting the wall (just one wall all by itself with photos on it), the wall was not marked CC - however if those same photos are enclosed into a room the room gets tagged with CC. The photos themselves didnt change, the tag was being applied to the room, but not to the wall, with the very same photos on it.

I am not sure if I am explaining myself correctly.

the why of things is what drives me over the edge...

@Nectere Thank you for the additional explanation. I just went and tested and what you're saying is true. when saving the unenclosed wall with cced pics the room is not marked as cc.
    This however does not get rid of the cc mark on the pictures unfortunately according to my test. when replacing them down and trying to save the whole lot, they still are tagged again. and when taking pictures of them after replacing, new pics still gets tagged as well/

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    yeah - ok its not just me!

thats goofy, but I suppose now I know how they are getting them in the gallery unmarked haha. I never really thought about it until just now

Not being able to have a single stitch of CC in the game for those that use it while taking photos and paintings is surely to be frustrating, I am surprised we havent heard more here. That doesnt even make sense...why? I dont understand what the purpose of messing with that action and flagging it would even be.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    yeah - ok its not just me!

thats goofy, but I suppose now I know how they are getting them in the gallery unmarked haha. I never really thought about it until just now

Not being able to have a single stitch of CC in the game for those that use it while taking photos and paintings is surely to be frustrating, I am surprised we havent heard more here. That doesnt even make sense...why? I dont understand what the purpose of messing with that action and flagging it would even be.

Me either, that's why i'm making this post in the hope of getting the attention of more players and ea team. i suppose i understand they not supporting them appearing on the pics, but why in heaven would anything "off-screen" has any influence on the build?? they need to make the cc detector smarter.
    But anyways, thanks for doing all those tests and help making the problem more clear for ppl to understand <3

W79XhDj.png
    edited July 2016
    Sorry but to expand on that - Yep looks like you upload actual CC to just a wall and it wont have the CC designation. I just DL some cc from MTS and am able to put it on a single wall and upload it to the gallery without the CC mark or designation. I doubt this is working as intended either...maybe this isnt news lol

DUDqN4J.png
    Origin ID NectereSim
    Sorry but to expand on that - Yep looks like you upload actual CC to just a wall and it wont have the CC designation. I just DL some cc from MTS and am able to put it on a single wall and upload it to the gallery without the CC mark or designation. I doubt this is working as intended either...maybe this isnt news lol

interesting findings..if it is a known issue i guess they either didn't notice or are too lazy to fix that cuz they take it for granted ppl wouldn't have anything to do with a single wall lol..esp. cuz it wouldn't affect the tag on the lot. sigh, something you wish ts4 would have a better vision at..

W79XhDj.png
    Well I doubt the CC actually comes across I havent tested that part of it, but this detector for CC or not to CC is a bit off I think.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    Well I doubt the CC actually comes across I havent tested that part of it, but this detector for CC or not to CC is a bit off I think.

yeah definitely. either way it needs more addressing. lets hope once they pick up they actually do it at least decently not just scratch the surface.

W79XhDj.png
    @Nectere Yes, older saves are still subject to the pre-patch bug. It makes sense that it might flow down to a lot by lot basis. I always create a new save after each patch for testing purposes in order to bypass any of the pre-patch bugginess that might remain in the game.

@m11kj yes, the bug was not actually CC related. I do not use any mods/CC, and my photos and paintings were still getting marked CC. My photos have been fine post-patch, but my paintings continue to get bugged at times.

Interesting discovery about the wall vs. enclosed room, but as you note, as soon as the player puts the pictures on a lot or enclosed room and saves it, it's going to be marked CC, so I wouldn't advise using this technique to bypass the CC flag, as it will just cause problems for people down the road.

As far as taking pictures of actual CC and having those pictures marked, this has been the case since way back. There was a workaround. I don't know if it's still effective, but if you want to try it, you place the CC objects on a lot and then bring your photographer and/or painter sims to the lot right *next* to it and take the pictures from the separate lot.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thankyou for posting the results of your further testing and updated information everyone :) It has been helpful reading the thread.
    @m11kj yes, the bug was not actually CC related.

@BryonyRae Depends on how you see it. To me it is cc related cuz whether you have actual cc in game or just have mistakenly cc marked pictures/photos, the "cc mark" given to them by the game is similar. It really depends on the moment you take the picture, whether this "mark" is on your loaded lot/neighborhood or not.

According to my testings the cc mark will not be triggered in a cc free new save on a new lot after all the repair/reset procedures. But of course my test save is relatively new and isn't played very long. It could be very possible as you experienced that after some playing the new save gets corrupted and the cc mark is triggered out of nowhere just like the old way, in that case it is indeed not fixed in the first place.
    As far as taking pictures of actual CC and having those pictures marked, this has been the case since way back. There was a workaround. I don't know if it's still effective, but if you want to try it, you place the CC objects on a lot and then bring your photographer and/or painter sims to the lot right *next* to it and take the pictures from the separate lot.

Thanks for providing a workaround for non-cas cc objects. Went for a quick test, it is indeed possible to take pictures of an actual cc furniture that is placed outdoor on a neighboring lot within the neighborhood and not get the cc mark in the photo.
    Again, this further proves my theory, that the "cc mark" only depends on whether you have them on your active loaded lot or not.

This method however cannot be used on 'saving' previously cc marked paintings/photos unfortunately, as any photos/paint from reference when placed on a neighboring lot would appear blank or black on current lot.

The aim of my thread and what i'm most upset about is the "cc mark" being triggered by CAS ccs, esp. when they are on some random townies that are not even in the picture i take or on my household members that are not even on the lot. i mean how does that make any sense??? the actual look of the picture isn't gonna change at all whether you have these ccs or not. And being able to save a wall as a room with cc/'cc marked' creations without being tagged just further proves the absurdity of this entire "cc detecting" system in the game.

Anyways, it comes down to our agreement that EA while addressing the problem didn't do a thorough job at fixing it. Let hope they realize that and keep on working on it.

W79XhDj.png
    @m11kj yes, the bug was not actually CC related.

@BryonyRae Depends on how you see it. To me it is cc related cuz whether you have actual cc in game or just have mistakenly cc marked pictures/photos, the "cc mark" given to them by the game is similar. It really depends on the moment you take the picture, whether this "mark" is on your loaded lot/neighborhood or not.

What I meant was that the bug could occur when the player had no mods or CC installed running a freshly cleaned and repaired TS4 and using a new save. The CC mark should never be placed in such a case.

I'm glad you're not getting the mark in a clean save. I did, on the paintings by reference, although it was not perhaps with the frequency as pre-patch. However, I was playing in a new save with virtually no time spent in it, so it would have to have been a very swift corruption. After every patch, I create a new save, and immediately after it loads the world, I save it and do nothing further to it. Whenever I subsequently want to test something, I load that save, but never overwrite it, so it remains "fresh."
    This method however cannot be used on 'saving' previously cc marked paintings/photos unfortunately, as any photos/paint from reference when placed on a neighboring lot would appear blank or black on current lot.

Ah, interesting, I wasn't aware that the game did this, although it makes sense that it wouldn't attempt to render them unless you load the lot. I wonder if it's anything that could be affected by a change in the .ini file(s)... Not really my forte though; I'm sorry the technique won't work to recover the incorrectly marked art.
    The aim of my thread and what i'm most upset about is the "cc mark" being triggered by CAS ccs, esp. when they are on some random townies that are not even in the picture i take or on my household members that are not even on the lot. i mean how does that make any sense??? the actual look of the picture isn't gonna change at all whether you have these ccs or not. And being able to save a wall as a room with cc/'cc marked' creations without being tagged just further proves the absurdity of this entire "cc detecting" system in the game.

Anyways, it comes down to our agreement that EA while addressing the problem didn't do a thorough job at fixing it. Let hope they realize that and keep on working on it.

I can understand your perspective on it, but I do think, from a programming perspective, trying to distinguish whether CC is in the picture or not would be quite difficult and probably utilize a lot of resources that might bog down the game. It is simpler for the game to merely check for the existence of CC and then just mark things by default. It definitely means more work for the player, who must remember to move mods/CC prior to playing when he or she plans to take photos or paint by reference, but it is something they can do to ensure they don't get marked CC.

I'm pretty sure the wall being unmarked is just something that got missed in the coding and something they'll likely fix once they know about it (and I'm going to note it in our Build Mode Feedback thread). Thanks for all the info and testing you've done on this. :)

edited July 2016

I can understand your perspective on it, but I do think, from a programming perspective, trying to distinguish whether CC is in the picture or not would be quite difficult and probably utilize a lot of resources that might bog down the game. It is simpler for the game to merely check for the existence of CC and then just mark things by default.

@BryonyRae That might very well be the dev team's thought as well when they built this cc-detecting system, right? I'm not a coder and I haven't looked at what exactly is it made out of, but if for a slight percentage of chance what I was thinking is true, that the marking system is similar to both actual cc and 'mistakenly cc-ed' paintings that according to your game still exist, then is that 'simple' 'check and mark' really good enough for the game in the first place? Is the 'marking' really working as they expected it would? As proven, it maybe not. So why hang on to it instead of looking for better improvements? As we all agree that it needs further fixing, wouldn't it be nice if there is a chance that the next best option happens to fix both--or is there a 'both' here at all? What I, and i believe many players out there are asking for is merely a possibility from the team that makes all the game players happy. It might be an excessively huge job, or it might be another way that's simpler than we all imagined.
    Again, I am no coder myself and I might be talking without putting my feet in the water, but I do think the game could take suggestions from all players and provide better playing experience for all of us. But of course as always, I appreciate all the hard work from the programmers and artists of the game and I do think they are doing a great job at making this game. I only hope for the game evolving towards better, smarter and greater directions.

W79XhDj.png
    They may well be improving it as we speak @m11kj; I have no idea. I was just giving my opinion on why detecting CC in a picture could be difficult from a programming standpoint. That's not to say that it couldn't be done or that there aren't other ways of dealing with the situation that are better than what we have right now.