Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim teens are adorable as they are!

Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
edited July 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback

"Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
Post edited by Forest_Ninja on

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I agree. While I appreciate many being irritated by how much like young adults the teens look in appearance, in Sims4, I think it's far more realistic. The much shorter teens in the past were simply too young looking to even think about handing over the car keys to them. They should be the model for pre-teens, in my opinion. Most teens, especially females, in RL pretty much look like what they will look like for years to come. I've been told I really haven't changed much over the years from childhood on — by people who knew me way back when. But, I digress.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    I am enjoying the grown up teens, Its really something I wanted the whole Sims games.. but I would like a younger teen as well.. :)
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Teens are fine with me, I skip the young adult age anyway. I'm just happy there is no difference in the clothing between these ages, a lot of cc clothes I liked for teens in Sims 2 and 3 were for adults.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    I'd much rather have shorter teens like in previous iterations, but I'm not too bothered about it.

In my opinion it's not about the height. Teens are just mini young adults/adults and they don't have any special gameplay attached to them. That's what has to change: we need acne, mood swings, proms, the ackwardness of first love, curfew (set by each family and not by the town), rebel phases, peer pressure, etc. that would make teens better.

Preach.

But either you like it or not, OP, teen's bodies are currently bugged and need fixing. They aren't suppose to be 100% exactly like YA, they need to be slimmer end of discussion.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    I'm fine with the teens' appearances, but I do wish they would add more teen-like activities. Stuff like curfew, teen-parties, slumber parties, boarding school, afterschool activities etc. Or maybe they could add something new like mid-terms or SATs or somekind of College prep. My issue is the fact that their interactions don't seem much different from the adults.
    My chaotic simblr
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    It's not so much about the height for me, but something needs to be done so they don't look exactly like adults. Once my kids age into teens I feel like some of the fun is gone because there's no more mystery of how they'll look as grownups...they're basically already there.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm sorry there has been one life stage in this game until the sell the new SP. There aren't any other life stages other than a somewhat scaled down mini adult called child and the adult life stage. What I see when I look at your pictures are YAs, Adults. And why I needed tags.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    BeaElla wrote: »
    I'm fine with the teens' appearances, but I do wish they would add more teen-like activities. Stuff like curfew, teen-parties, slumber parties, boarding school, afterschool activities etc. Or maybe they could add something new like mid-terms or SATs or somekind of College prep. My issue is the fact that their interactions don't seem much different from the adults.

I agree. I'm fine with how they look and I use clothing and hairstyles to help distinguish teens from adults in my game. I just want more activities for teens. Hopefully a Teens Stuff pack is in the works.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I'm on the fence with the teens. There are some aspects I do like, others I do not.

I do like how the teens can wear adults clothes, as I find that as somewhat realistic. I do wish they also had their own sets of clothing options so not every teen is 15 going on 35. That way, if I wanted them to dress young, they still could and not be in an outfit that their mom is also in.

I don't mind the height so much, but I wish there was more of a visual difference ... girls not as developed as they will be when they are adults, boys not able to gain all the muscle mass that they can. Tone up, sure but not the muscle mass. Let their faces be more different so when they do turn to adults, they are more fleshed out ... I don't know how to put that into words.

I dislike how when a child goes to teen, they get a new set of clothes spun into ( as the child/teen obviously don't fit the structure ), but when a teen goes to YA, nothing. No clothes change, no big physical change ... just poof, here is a YA. I don't care for that.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I'm starting this thread in response to the argument regarding changes to the appearances of teens and their similarities to young adults. Obviously their appearances are similar since the game only scales their bodies without any change to their topology or texture, and this isn't really a problem. This has always been the case and I'd rather not see any change since it makes prediction of future appearances easier, and we can manually create genetic likenesses when restoring families from previous versions.

"We don't want our faces or bodies to change..."
    06-24-16_9-16-06_AM.jpg

"Our ages can be seen in much more than our height and facial topology..."
    06-24-16_9-21-56_AM.jpg
    [/quote

OK show us the teens, which ones are the teens. explain how the teen ages can be seen in much more than their height and facial topology.

• Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I'm starting this thread in response to the argument regarding changes to the appearances of teens and their similarities to young adults. Obviously their appearances are similar since the game only scales their bodies without any change to their topology or texture, and this isn't really a problem. This has always been the case and I'd rather not see any change since it makes prediction of future appearances easier, and we can manually create genetic likenesses when restoring families from previous versions.

"We don't want our faces or bodies to change..."
    06-24-16_9-16-06_AM.jpg

"Our ages can be seen in much more than our height and facial topology..."
    06-24-16_9-21-56_AM.jpg

OK show us the teens, which ones are the teens. explain how the teen ages can be seen in much more than their height and facial topology.

Was wondering that myself. I can't tell if they're teens or adults.

• Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'd just like to say there is an undergarment outfit for female sims that I think is inappropriate to be available for teens. It's the full body one where the bra and panties are connected with stockings I think.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Is this a troll thread?

yes, it is
  • Options
    Allison18Allison18 Posts: 399 Member
    I think I would prefer to have shorter teens because it's a bit awkward for me sometimes when I find townie that might make a good romantic interest for my current sim only to realize it's a teen, once I've hovered over them to check.... -_-
    In TS3 if I wanted to edit a child's appearance, teens appearance, I would age up to young adult (in CAS, with cheats) change some things around, then bump the age back down because modifying a teen sim's face in TS3 to start would not look exactly how you want it when they age up into a young adult. They had fuller cheeks, less defined jawlines, cheekbones, etc. I recently just aged up a teen sim to a young adult in TS4 and she looked exactly the same as she when she was a teen.
    As for realism, I was no where near the height of my parents when I was a teenager, I was indeed shorter. That's not the case for everyone, but it at least helps to have a height difference in game since (IMO), the face doesn't change at all.

All of that visual stuff and the lack of unique life stage interactions and events is also what makes teen sims incredibly dull to for me play with.
    I personally think the child life stage in TS4 is better than the teens, and I kind of wish the Kids Pack out this month was a Teens Pack instead.
    ch_dadpost.gif
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Well... I reckon the gal at the back right in the check skirt is a teen. Apart from her, I have no clue. I may even be wrong with her.

13 - 19 is too large an age gap to cover in one sim group. Not in years, but in size and development. A 13 yr old is far, far different to a 19 yr old.

I guess I always saw teens in previous versions as about 15-16 (mid-range) which was probably ideal really if you are going to use only one sim age to cover the entire range.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm sorry there has been one life stage in this game until the sell the new SP. There aren't any other life stages other than a somewhat scaled down mini adult called child and the adult life stage. What I see when I look at your pictures are YAs, Adults. And why I needed tags.

Babies are an object, children are shrunk down adults, the rest are all the same. They should just shrink the children down a little more,call them toddlers and tie them to a playpen. There you go, everybody happy. Can't wait to see pets!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Babies are an object, children are shrunk down adults, the rest are all the same. They should just shrink the children down a little more,call them toddlers and tie them to a playpen. There you go, everybody happy. Can't wait to see pets!
    Why do you think kids are shrunk down adults? I thought they'd done the kids quite well...
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    The problem with teens, by a teen :p
    A Height Now here is thing this is a game . The problem isn't really just the height . The thing they just look too much like adults,its hard to tell an adult from a teen in the game . The facial expresseions, and bodies should look younger

The game play They act like young adults as well. They should put more teen things for teens to do . And interactions just for teens

How they act While its true they always act similar to aduls . But they shouldn't act exactly like adults.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Hmm... I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I think I'd have liked teens to be more petite and youthful looking like they were in previous games. On the other, I really do like having access to all clothing options between teen to elder because I might want a more conservative or frumpy looking teen, or I might like an an elder who dresses much younger than perhaps is appropriate. It's good to have lots of clothing choice, and in previous games I often wished I had an outfit in another age (or category for that matter).

I'm not too upset about them being a similar height to adults because some teenagers are much taller than others in real life. It would be nice to have a height slider, but that's a different issue. I make teens appear younger by giving them more youthful features like plump cheeks, or I'll make them quite skinny and gangly-looking with skinny legs and big feet. Not all teens are like this, of course, but it generally gives them a more youthful look. Then I might give adults a bit of a thicker mid-rift, lower breasts and a slightly more slumpy posture. It really depends on the sim though and their story and background. I have a very glamorous and quite youthful looking rich elder, and I have more mature looking teens. It's nice to have these choices.

On the third hand (what?), I don't think I'd want them to waste development time on changing teens. I'd rather they worked on other features, adding more age groups like toddlers or pre-teens, or adding pets or weather, some of the things that many people are strongly requesting.
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    I agree. I'm fine with how they look and I use clothing and hairstyles to help distinguish teens from adults in my game

Same here. All of my teens look like teens because they're wearing age-appropriate hairstyles and clothing, so it's never been a problem telling who is what. Because of that, I have always found the complaints about finding it so difficult to distinguish between teens, YAs and adults exaggerated. Look at this screenshot. Are people really saying they can't tell who's the teen here?

06-24-16_12-35-54nbspPM.png
    BeaElla wrote: »
    I'm fine with the teens' appearances, but I do wish they would add more teen-like activities. Stuff like curfew, teen-parties, slumber parties, boarding school, afterschool activities etc. Or maybe they could add something new like mid-terms or SATs or somekind of College prep.

Yes, most definitely! This is so sorely needed right now, especially teen get togethers.

Some other ideas (just brainstorming off the top of my head here): teen idol mags/fan clubs, friendship bracelets, teen venues (video game arcades, 1950s sock hop, mallrat shops), teen subcultures (goth, preppy, skater, punk, anime), decor (decorative lockers, bean bag chairs, etc.).

And how about some more emotional/behavioral stuff like having puppy crushes on adults? No joke, but I had this idea for an amazing storyline in one of my hoods where a teen princess has a crush on the member of a rock band who lives next door. So I thought it would be funny if I got her to obsessively take pictures of him with her camera and build a shrine in her room. That got me thinking about how cute it would be if something like "puppy crush" was in the actual game, like maybe as a moodlet whenever a teen is around a designated sim she has a crush on? Or even as a type of relationship?

Maybe in addition to the "puppy crush" relationship, there can be "Mentor/Tutor" and "Big Brother/Big Sister." Just brainstorming again.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I personally love playing teen only households but that doesn't stop me acknowledging that they are the same structure as adults and elders so as to cut down on animations costs etc for production.

Now that they are the same size as adults and elders I actually like that. The current bug, which the devs are looking into, has any new teen you make in CAS basically exactly the same as a YA... this will be fixed as the devs have said it was not intentional. Normally there are subtle differences in the face shape and body shape.

It is a lot easier to tell them apart now then it was right after launch when their age wasn't even displayed in the info panel. The only way to discover if your YA/Adult sim was chatting to a teen was to try to access the romantic interactions, no romantic interactions = a teen.

I remember a dev being incredulous that we couldn't tell the difference (can't remember which one sorry). I was incredulous that they thought we would be able to tell the difference! At least now (minus this current bug) we do have obvious ways of spotting a teen.

I don't have to suspend my belief at all to be happy playing a teen sim who is the same height as a YA/A/Elder sim and I like having the all the clothing available. I would like a lot more teen-only interactions though and teen only events etc
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.