Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PRE-TEENS MIGHT BE A GREAT ADDITION! CHECK IT OUT!

Comments

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    @Briana2425 Check out the streams and blogs on Kids Stuff.
    The Gurus explicitly say, these objects and outfits are "aged up" from the base game kids stuff, which was your typical 5-year old geometric shapes and teddy bears. These new objects are designed from the perspective of kids who are growing up, becoming more mature, and are figuring out how they fit into the world. There's teen idols on their clothes, Pokemon cards to collect, new more "grown up" design choices for their bedrooms...

Like it or not, these kids aren't 5 and 6-year olds any more. They're 11, 12.
    In other words, pre-teens.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited June 2016
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    The Gurus explicitly say, these objects and outfits are "aged up" from the base game kids stuff, which was your typical 5-year old geometric shapes and teddy bears. These new objects are designed from the perspective of kids who are growing up, becoming more mature, and are figuring out how they fit into the world. There's teen idols on their clothes, Pokemon cards to collect, new more "grown up" design choices for their bedrooms...

@kwanzaabot I didn't say the sims kids were 5 and 6 and kids play with pokemon and Yugioh cards all the time I just said they are not preteens this thread just defined what preteens actually do besides playing pokemon.
  • Options
    BrattonMattonBrattonMatton Posts: 896 Member
    edited June 2016
    You should seen my survey

What do you think about preteens being in the Sims 4? As a filling gap between child and teen?

29%- Sure I don't mind.
    15%- I could care less.
    4%- No thank you!
    53% (Oh wow so glad I added in this answer)- I prefer toddlers instead.
    Post edited by BrattonMatton on
  • Options
    BrattonMattonBrattonMatton Posts: 896 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Well regardless it will never have nothing to do with their physical appearance. It does make sense for smaller children to act a little older for their age but you must remember each person of any age will act mature or childish. It's like this: You see these middle schoolers trying to act like high schoolers but high schoolers trying to act like middle schoolers. College students are well balanced in between. They have time for both partying and studying.
  • Options
    iplaysims24iplaysims24 Posts: 7 New Member
    I hope they add preteens. It's practically the most requested thing on these forums!! It would add the realistic feel of the game (whilst of course keeping it still away from reality... that would just be depressing to play a game the same as real life...) It's mostly unrealistic at the moment because they go from being like 7 years old to about 16 in a matter of sim days! If preteens do eventually get added to the game, I'd love: for them to still play with child toys/objects, be able to do things like 'request responsibility' from adults or 'share dreams of being older', have more 'mature' clothing options (as well as the current kids clothes), throw random tantrums (not too often though, that would just get soooo tiresome), have the action to 'play around with makeup' at the kitchen sink (like messing around with it, not properly wearing it or anything) and be able to 'pester' teenage sims.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I saw people saying things like adding pre-teens would be amazing. What I would find amazing is for the game to work correctly without bugs and glitches. Fix the game first before adding a first time life state. If you use mods to play your game you might not know what I'm talking about.....if you don't you're all too aware of the problems I'm talking about.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    iAnimeFreakiAnimeFreak Posts: 66 Member
    Oh I would love it. That would be so much fun. And I think they could have little crushes and things like that. And for peer pressure, that could be implemented as school events.
  • Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    In this iteration we NEED pre-teens because of the big age gap between children and teens. The teens in this game seem to be between 16-19 years old. I need some younger teens as well, so I would be ecstatic if we got pre-teens (I'd pretend they'd be between 13-15 years old)!

Edit: I was just as sad when I discovered how the teens looked in this game, as I was for the lack of toddlers!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BelloGoth wrote: »
    I, personally, really like the idea. The renders (more than anything) shows how much of a gap truly exists between kids and teens. I think a lot of the things in the pre-teen stage could very well be used by teens themselves. While I, too, am under the impression that the stuff pack was created to slightly satisfy those who have wanted pre-teens, I really wish this could be implemented into the game. The biggest issue I see is there not being enough to differentiate them or to justify the creation of such a big element of the game. I'll try to respond to this criticism below:
    • While yes, hormones would be a great part to add, along with the very beginnings of romantic relationships (crushes and pecks on cheek, holding hands), what else? I think this stage should be all about finding oneself and testing the boundaries of not only their authority figures, but testing their own boundaries, too. It should be about learning to be who they want to be when they're older. Asking permission to cook on the stove, to go on certain websites, asking permission to go to a lot in a different world on their own, etc. Either they can do it on their own or they can ask.
    • Moreover, peer-pressure should also be a big part of this age group. Fitting in or standing out would be a great way for sims to define the trajectories of their lives here.
    • A new relationship description (bully) could also be added here, where you designate one pre-teen sim you don't like, and he or she is now a bully to you. You can tell your parents, stand up to them, or fight them.
    • A funny element of CAS that could be added here is growth spurts. You know how, for some of us, when we're pre-teens, our adult feet come in first, or our adult nose/ears that we have to grow into comes in? Something like that would be cute. They wouldn't be embarrassed or teased b/c of it or anything, but it would be cute to see a few interesting looking preteens out there.
    • Pimples- Nuff said.

Basically, sims could learn who they want to be in society and as people/sims.

Vis-a-vis hormones; I had the mental image of a young chap taking additional testosterone and growing a beard overnight, age 12 lol.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    We're kinda getting tweens but most def we need a lifestage between kids and teens

I'm still shaking my head that TS4 Teens are hard to tell besides constant duck face selfies
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited June 2016
    I dunno. I'm probably in the minority that thinks pre-teens are unnecessary. There's just waaay too small a gap between kids>pre-teens>teens for it have any sort of significant impact on the gameplay in my mind. Toddlers, as someone else said, I can understand being sort of a necessity. You can't go from diapers and liquid food to kids - realistically. So, in that respect toddlers would be more beneficial. But being that gaps between kid>pre-teen>teens are so incredibly small I'd much prefer the team spend their time and resources working on toddlers IF they're going to make a new life stage at all. And maybe further down the road, sure, throw some pre-teens in there, why not. But right now, I don't think they're necessary there are other things that could add a lot more to the game than pre-teens.

Like teens. Teens need to be tweaked a lot. If the pictures from the original post here were refined teens (which that's what they look like to me) then I'd definitely be for it! Because they look great!

With the new Kids Stuff Pack, since it's geared toward making your child a little more pre-teenish, I think it would be a lot more fun to manually transition my child (in the middle of their life stage) into their pre-teen years with this pack. Changing up their clothes, hair, room, interests, etc. myself rather than having it being defined as a set (and tiny) life stage. You could probably do this without the pack as well, you'd just have to be a little more creative. :) It might even be something that caters a lot more to the those story telling Simmers too- to manually transition your kids, that is. So, I'm looking forward to that.

I'd hope for other things first. Refined teens then toddlers (even though I'm not a huuuge toddler fan) then maybe pre-teens.
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    The more age groups the better. But I'm quite sure they won't do a separate height for them due to the multitasking. Would anyone really accept a clone of the kid with other options?
  • Options
    emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    edited June 2016
    The more age groups the better. But I'm quite sure they won't do a separate height for them due to the multitasking. Would anyone really accept a clone of the kid with other options?

Not really. A large part of the point of preteens is that their height should be halfway between children and teens, so ease the transition between ages and make the ageing process seem a little more natural. The current jump between children and teens is just too jarring.
    I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • Options
    WannabeDinosaurWannabeDinosaur Posts: 121 Member
    I dunno. I'm probably in the minority that thinks pre-teens are unnecessary. There's just waaay too small a gap between kids>pre-teens>teens for it have any sort of significant impact on the gameplay in my mind. Toddlers, as someone else said, I can understand being sort of a necessity. You can't go from diapers and liquid food to kids - realistically. So, in that respect toddlers would be more beneficial. But being that gaps between kid>pre-teen>teens are so incredibly small I'd much prefer the team spend their time and resources working on toddlers IF they're going to make a new life stage at all. And maybe further down the road, sure, throw some pre-teens in there, why not. But right now, I don't think they're necessary there are other things that could add a lot more to the game than pre-teens.

Like teens. Teens need to be tweaked a lot. If the pictures from the original post here were refined teens (which that's what they look like to me) then I'd definitely be for it! Because they look great!

I'd hope for other things first. Refined teens then toddlers (even though I'm not a huuuge toddler fan) then maybe pre-teens.

I mean.. yeah, what we're saying is Teens aren't the best in this rendition of the game. They're way older seeming than before. Almost like we jumped a whole section of their life from when they were kids. Which is (one of) the reasons pre-teens are being suggested. Like you said, teens need to be tweaked a lot. To be real, most likely, that'll never happen. Like ever. Preteens will close the gap that we feel is there and make the transition a lot more smooth.

I haaaate being a sims ranter because I love the game, and the last thing I want to do is rag on the company. But the fact that this is even a reality is disappointing. The fact that a fan/customer has to say "I'm quite sure they won't do a separate height due to--" is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to try an settle for "cloning a kid with different options" to be a preteen (which is what they're basically saying in this kid's pack they're releasing) and is exactly what they did with teen & young adults, which is what has us here as it is. I don't get why modders & custom content makers can do as much as they can with height sliders & such but this company with all the resources, talent, and MONEY that they get from us, neglect to do so due to what? Laziness? Or maybe they just don't want to load us down and give us unnecessary stuff like spas & ice-cream makers that no one asked for? So thoughtful of them. It's ridiculous.

• Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited June 2016
    @emyprice95 and @WannabeDinosaur I didn't want to spoil your enthusiasm, you gave a lot of thought into this. But I think I read somewhere that toddlers was hard to do because of the multitasking. Maybe it would be possible to make a pre-teen, I don't know. There is too much of a gap between babies/children and children/teens as it is.
  • Options
    emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    @emyprice95 and @WannabeDinosaur I didn't want to spoil your enthusiasm, you gave a lot of thought into this. But I think I read somewhere that toddlers was hard to do because of the multitasking. Maybe it would be possible to make a pre-teen, I don't know. There is too much of a gap between babies/children and children/teens as it is.

I think the issue with toddlers and multitasking was the devs were afraid that the parents holding the toddler would try to put their toddler in their inventory if they tried to do something else? I don't know? I think that's what I heard, but I could be completely wrong. :sweat_smile:

Adding in a new lifestage would be quite a bit of work though, so if I had to choose between two life stages, I'd go for toddlers. I think one of the main reasons that people really believe preteens are a possibility is because the Generations EP described in the August 2015 survey said that they were considering an EP that would not only add toddlers, but also preteens.
    I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

"But I just can't imagine what they would look like!"
    Well, if you're having a bit of trouble pulling the picture together in your head, here's a good peek at our little could-be preteens, render created by LumiaLover.

tumblr_o4m29kLVEQ1tjrolto3_1280.png
    tumblr_o4m29kLVEQ1tjrolto2_1280.png
    tumblr_o4m29kLVEQ1tjrolto1_r1_1280.png

SO!! What do you think???!! I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this brand new life stage!!

IMO, I think that's how the teens should look. I never needed "tweens" in previous games. I get wanting toddlers, but I think they should just rework teens and add toddlers.

babies>toddlers> kids> teens>YA.

Add toddlers and fix the teens. I don't need another age for some 2 yrs of growth.

I agree. If they add pre-teens I'm just going to play them as teens and age up Teens.
  • Options
    JellysimwichJellysimwich Posts: 778 Member
    I've had qualms with 'family funds' for a long long time. I feel strongly about having options to divide up funds between folders or 'bank accounts' for sims of certain ages or based on relationship dynamics. You know, like teens and college-aged kids get their own money. And a husband and wife get their own account, or whatever. Make the whole 'earning' money from part time jobs or careers that more interesting.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Also, to chime in, I'm in overall agreement with this babies > toddlers > child > teens > YA

If the developers want to give us tweens and toddlers, I'm not whining, I'll take it. But tweens are not a necessary addition for me, personally. I'd prefer toddlers as I'm a family/generational player and storyteller, that stage is really vital...

Eta. forgot child
  • Options
    27966905196_e8cf1f838a_c.jpg

27966903936_b0dc7477bf_c.jpg

I've been wondering what height other ages would be (if they ever got added) so I went to the Sims 3 for an idea. The body proportions look different in TS4, but as a reference toddlers would come up to about the top(ish) of the adult's thigh and maybe pre-teens could come to about the adults shoulder?
  • Options
    @Simanite something to wonder...

I'd be interested in knowing whether tweens/pre-teens would just be taller 'children' or if their bodies would be more developed and closer to the teen/YA stage. For girls, the 10-12 life stage is a pretty significant milestone, development wise. I just wonder how many simmers want oversized children :D I guess if we get this tween/pre-teen stage, I'd probably make that life stage my younger teens in the 13-15 range, assuming the set-in-stone height is somewhere around the shoulders of teens/YAs.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Jellysimwich Hmm yeah. @BrattonMatton made an interesting comparison to Barbie and her sisters and I see what he means because my cousin has Barbies. She has 3 sisters - Skipper (teen), Stacey (pre-teen) and Chelsea (child). Skipper is a little shorter than Barbie and has a developed chest and waist, but is skinnier and less developed than Barbie. Stacey has a similar shape to Chelsea but taller and a slightly more developed chest and waist. I think they could go this route, and make the girls' chests and waists and boys' shoulders more developed than children and their faces more mature . :smile: I definitely wouldn't want them to just be a taller clone of kids either. :lol:

Cfr7isEUIAAl_qU.jpg

CSLBWbEUAAEJyzk.jpg
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    @Simanite something to wonder...

I'd be interested in knowing whether tweens/pre-teens would just be taller 'children' or if their bodies would be more developed and closer to the teen/YA stage. For girls, the 10-12 life stage is a pretty significant milestone, development wise. I just wonder how many simmers want oversized children :D I guess if we get this tween/pre-teen stage, I'd probably make that life stage my younger teens in the 13-15 range, assuming the set-in-stone height is somewhere around the shoulders of teens/YAs.

Yeah, I have been wondering this myself. Or maybe they will be their own entity, like kids, but I doubt it.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    I really want pre teens. Honestly the awkward years of middle school in my pre teen years were most important because it shaped me into who I am today!
    So please give us pre teens!!!
  • Options
    simmisammisimmisammi Posts: 63 Member
    @WannabeDinosaur I love this idea so much!!! I think it could add to some really interesting game plays!!! I'd also like to see a few traits with them like a sassy trait, or drama queen/king. It would also be fun if sims could go to school and have there be issues like with pe, or math class!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top