Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Ok, I'll wait to get a full consensus before I proceed. The person that requested is Arrowleaf, and then it seems someone else, Yushika, made a request here also.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    i dont mind, the more the merrier.
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    @Dancer-freak that party was amazing lol! I didn't have any of the food that had smoke coming out of Abe's ears!
  • Options
    Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    I think more is fine!

@Simcraft81 LOL that's funny XD
  • Options
    @Dancer-freak , @AdamsEve1231 any questions about either story?
  • Options
    Final day to talk about @Simcraft81's stories tomorrow!

Did we decide if @DreamsinPixels or @Dancer-freak's story is next?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @Arrowleaf and @Yushika We have space available for you in our circle if you are able to commit to our reading/discussion schedule. We ask that you drop a line once a month at minimum to check in, and read at least 1 chapter of the featured story. We typically feature 2 stories a month (short chapter amounts at a time). I recently explained/provided links for our newbies here so read that and let us know. If you are interested, please shoot us an author bio/story overview/story link/update schedule so I can add this to our first page and get you on our reading/discussion rotation.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm honored to be invited to join the group, thank you for having me! I will start catching up on all of your stories right now.

Forums Name: Arrowleaf. You guys can call me Arrow, or whatever else suits your fancy :]

Author's Bio: I'm in my mid-twenties and I work from home as an engineer. I started writing simlit in 2012 and stopped when I graduated college in 2014. I decided I wanted to start writing again, so I returned to the community this year! I live on the east coast in a house I recently purchased with my long-term boyfriend. I have two 'babies', who are actually really spoiled dogs, but I love them to death. In my spare time I write, play video games, play board games and D&D.

Links to my story:
    Wordpress: https://thelandonlegacy.wordpress.com/
    Thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913768/

Story Summary:
    My story is a legacy, so each generation will have a different plot and will even cross genres.

It begins with a young woman named Willow Landon who is dealing with her parent's death, and trying to honor their memory.

It should be noted that the stories might touch on sensitive subjects such as addiction, sex, drugs/alcohol and the such. I will post a warning at the beginning of a chapter if it gets a little crazier than normal.

Update Schedule: Weekly!
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Arrowleaf I LOVE D&D! My boyfriend and I just went to see Beauty and the Beast and we made dungeons and dragons jokes the whole time. XD

Welcome to the group... LOL

@simscraft I have none as of now! Let me sit and think on it though.

@AdamsEve1231 lets focus on @DreamsInPixels next!
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @Arrowleaf I play D&D as well! On Sunday nights we have a 5th edition campaign that we play with a bunch of friends.
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Finally got around to answering things for @Simcraft81 :smiley: I really enjoyed each story.

Most Wanted
    1. What are your thoughts on the Final Chapter?
    I didn't expect it to end how it did, but I loved it anyway. It felt final, but it also felt open ended enough to to create your own ending for them.

2. What are your thoughts on this story as a whole?
    I think it's a well written story with a unique style and concept. I really, reaaaally enjoyed reading it. It grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading til the end. It was well done, and well paced.

3. What do you think about each chapter introducing a member as well as progressing through the story?
    I feel like it was this aspect that made it unique. It gave the reader an in depth insight into each of the criminals and motives - in particular Iqbal's motivations.

4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take Over the world?
    I loved it! Usually when I read or watch things with "antagonists" they seem a little shallow because it focuses too much on the plan and the "protagonist" stopping it. This gave me a sense of what motivates each character and I actually felt sympathy when I probably shouldn't have.

Holiday
    I haven't had much time to think critically about the story. But I have come up with a theory.
    Theory: I think the woman in the flashbacks represents his happiness. This theory mostly came from the last few pictures.
    I think in his adult years he was too busy chasing success that he pushed away his happiness and thought of it as a distraction. Now that he's an elder he's chasing his happiness and that's why he tries to make other people (Like Claire) see happiness since he knows what it's like to not accept happiness.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    First of all i want to check in and apologise to everyone for my lack of appearance :( really sorry. Secondly i want to apologise to simcraft for not keeping up with your story this week of chatting. BUT ... i have finally found a house! After a long long 6 months of searching. I'm unbelievably happy. And if anyone knows what it's like to move house, you totally understand my struggle here. As good as the news is ... i have so much to clean, repair, pack and organise with myself and the kids all preparing for the move.

I had a inspection tomorrow and i've been cleaning like a mad lady ... and i know its simcrafts last day. I will catch these chapters up because i know you devoted your time reading my work when it was my week. It feels very unfair ... and even if i do it during the next persons week, i promise you i will do this!
  • Options
    WOW! Grats @xJojox that's so exciting!
  • Options
    @Simcraft81 - Holiday
    What a refreshing idea to see elders in stories and especially as a main character. I love it. No one really utilizes elders once they have aged from adult but this is great and inspiring. The flash backs i think are a reminder that he did have happiness and pleasure in his life even though his continue to live on just 'passed him by' i feel like this all the time when i watch my kids grow up. I feel like i missed something though i have a truck load of memories. I think this is what you were trying to symbolise here. The story is short and sweet ... i enjoyed reading Abe's Story.
  • Options
    Finally got around to answering things for @Simcraft81 :smiley: I really enjoyed each story.

Most Wanted
    I didn't expect it to end how it did, but I loved it anyway. It felt final, but it also felt open ended enough to to create your own ending for them.

I think it's a well written story with a unique style and concept. I really, reaaaally enjoyed reading it. It grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading til the end. It was well done, and well paced.

3. What do you think about each chapter introducing a member as well as progressing through the story?
    I feel like it was this aspect that made it unique. It gave the reader an in depth insight into each of the criminals and motives - in particular Iqbal's motivations.

4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take Over the world?
    I loved it! Usually when I read or watch things with "antagonists" they seem a little shallow because it focuses too much on the plan and the "protagonist" stopping it. This gave me a sense of what motivates each character and I actually felt sympathy when I probably shouldn't have.

Holiday
    I haven't had much time to think critically about the story. But I have come up with a theory.
    Theory: I think the woman in the flashbacks represents his happiness. This theory mostly came from the last few pictures.
    I think in his adult years he was too busy chasing success that he pushed away his happiness and thought of it as a distraction. Now that he's an elder he's chasing his happiness and that's why he tries to make other people (Like Claire) see happiness since he knows what it's like to not accept happiness.

@DreamsInPixels thanks for reading and commenting on my stories I will respond once I get off work.
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »
    @Simcraft81 - Holiday
    What a refreshing idea to see elders in stories and especially as a main character. I love it. No one really utilizes elders once they have aged from adult but this is great and inspiring. The flash backs i think are a reminder that he did have happiness and pleasure in his life even though his continue to live on just 'passed him by' i feel like this all the time when i watch my kids grow up. I feel like i missed something though i have a truck load of memories. I think this is what you were trying to symbolise here. The story is short and sweet ... i enjoyed reading Abe's Story.

Oh @xJojox I just saw your post lol I will get back to you as well
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    @IllusoryThrall and @Dancer-freak

Yay for D&D! I am glad I am not the only one who enjoys RPing. I also play 5th edition. I'm a half-elf Light Cleric :P What do you guys play?

@Simcraft81 I haven't had time to read your story yet, but I will get around to ASAP. I'll respond to the questions as soon as I can. :]

@xJojox congrats on the house! I just purchased my first one last September and we had started looking that March! It really does take forever and is extremely stressful! Just know you're in the home stretch now!
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    @Arrowleaf For this campaign, we all decided to let the GM decide what we play.. so I got handed a defensive style fighter.. which is totally not my thing in the past.. so it's been a lot of fun to learn all new things, and I've really been enjoying him. The GM specifically handed each of us something we wouldn't normally pick, so it's been neat watching everyone adapt. We're almost to the end of this campaign, it goes to level 10 and we're 9 now, so I've got to take some time to figure out what to play next. My last character before that was a life domain Cleric.
  • Options
    @xJojox Congrats on your new house!

@Arrowleaf I've added all your info to the first page. Again, welcome to our reading/writing circle! Also I added your story to our reading cycle here from April 14-23rd.

@DreamsinPixels Starting tomorrow, our reading circle will start (if they haven't already), reading your story and we can discuss it at anytime. If you'd like, you can post questions for us readers or you can lead a general discussion AND/OR let anyone write free-form or ask questions at any point during the next 10 days.

@IllusoryThrall I've added you to the schedule also from April 3rd-13th.

@Simcraft81 Any final thoughts/questions on your Sims Stories: Holiday and Sunset Valley's Most Wanted?

@Dancer-freak I can bump you till after @Arrowleaf's story discussion, or we can cycle back through from 1-7 as listed on the homepage here. Let me know. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I think I'll go freeform and have questions asked whenever for this cycle...so I can get a feel for what kinds of questions I should be asking for next time. :D
  • Options

@Simcraft81 Here's your answers!
    Holiday

First off, I liked the story. I did, however, feel a disconnect at the transitions between the time periods. It felt a little jarring to me, and was never completely explained. It hinted at the woman being the reason why he changed from being a driven office professional to the happy-go-lucky guy as he appeared in the present time. I would have liked to know more.. how did she change him, where she went (i.e. why is he alone on his vacation). It hinted at a sadness that he's alone again and looking for love... but again, I really felt I just wanted to know more. I LOVED the date - it seemed perfect.. and all of the parts set in the present really rang true for me, I felt I got to know quite a lot about him from the way you portrayed him. I, too, liked that you put forth the idea that others were "victims" for his enthusiasm and zest for life, it was an interesting concept. His trip was detailed wonderfully, and I really felt like I was there with him. I like that the story showed him planning to go back at the end, to do whatever it took.. it felt like the story ended with hope, instead of the sadness I felt from the flashbacks. Overall, it was written very well, and I really enjoyed reading it!

Sunset Valley's Most Wanted

I liked that the final chapter brought everything back together. I also was a little confused until I remembered that Ayesha's last name was Ansari, hence the caption on the starting photo. I don't think you'd actually used her full name in the story, or for that matter, used her last name at all. I would have liked to see a little more explanation on what the plan actually was (as I mention under the other questions), but I liked that you used the gang's co-leader as a way of bringing everything back together again.

Overall, the story was nice. It definitely brought some characterization to the townies I know and remember from Sims 3. I had never really thought about the possibility of a criminal gang, although all the pieces were there for me to see. I like that you made the characters seem real, they all had their own reasons for what they were doing, and you did a good job of showing what each person's motives were. However, I do feel that a little bit more time explaining the actual plan/plot they were all a part of would have been a good idea, simply because when I got to the end of the story, I still felt I had questions about it. Perhaps this could have been done in the final chapter where everything comes to a head? I did enjoy the read, though, and look forward to reading more stories from you!

I really liked this aspect of the story. It made each chapter something fresh and new while keeping the continuity of the story. I also liked how the end of each chapter sort of brought everything back together so you could start to see how the pieces were falling into place. The only problem I really had was deciding who Ayesha was, she wove her way through each chapter, yet I had trouble finding where she was actually introduced (i.e. who she was). With her being integral to the story and in each chapter I felt she should have had more of an introduction.

4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take over the world?
    Personally, I like stories that have a lot of characterization in them. I like knowing where they're coming from, where they're going to, and what they're about. So not focusing on the takeover plot was just fine by me. However, I will say that nowhere was there a "we're going to take over the world" or anything that really said what the plan was. Not focusing on it is fine, but it should probably be said somewhere.
  • Options
    NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
    @Arrowleaf and @Yushika We have space available for you in our circle if you are able to commit to our reading/discussion schedule. We ask that you drop a line once a month at minimum to check in, and read at least 1 chapter of the featured story. We typically feature 2 stories a month (short chapter amounts at a time). I recently explained/provided links for our newbies here so read that and let us know. If you are interested, please shoot us an author bio/story overview/story link/update schedule so I can add this to our first page and get you on our reading/discussion rotation.

I totally can adhere to this, yes! Let me toss over a form with the necessary information~
    Gen1.png
    Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options
    NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
    Name: Hi! I'm Yushika, I prefer to go by Yushi if possible.
    Blog: I host the story here, and have a forum for discussion here!

The story is a legacy challenge with no "official" rules other then don't cheat, and reach generation ten. The story inserts vampires + races I've made myself, and is more story based! It's dark at times, as characters do die in violent ways and the beginning centers around the kidnapping of a human, but each generation will have a different "flavor" of sorts!

As for a random facts about myself; I have a serious heat allergy, I have a cat I'm totally obsessed with, and I'm stupid shy. Whoop.
    Gen1.png
    Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »

If you made chapter 80 to present...
    Justin fanclub or Sean Fanclub and why?

I sometimes use music in my chapters ... or even songs i've learnt on the piano recently. I was completely addicted to a song i linked in 80 that i had been playing on piano. And because i learnt it ... i tied it in with my chapter to inspire myself. Would you like to see me add music to other chapters that inspire me?

Abby talks about love and music ... do you think that she is being selfish about her dream because of her unwillingness to let it slip away. How do you perceive this in the way of what love should look like between Justin and Abby?

Most of my readers think Sean has a hidden agenda, what do you think?
    One of my most regular readers Pammiechick was a big time Justin fan ... and i managed to swap her to the Sean fanclub. lol. Do you think Justin's new side has changed him for you? **It was not actually my intention to do this!**

(e.g I asked my readers would you rather have the world handed to you on a platter with the castle and prince charming that doesn't love you OR A man with nothing that loves you like no other ... i guess a lot of them went for the fairytale instead of the struggle lol)

@xJojox
    You posted these forever ago, but since I'm caught up-ish (since you're always posting great new chapters...), I thought I could finally answer these.

Justin or Sean fan club and why? Personally, I like them both. Sean is more stable, and he's been easygoing and kind, generous and sweet, and I've got to admit their love scenes, especially the one with the piano was super hot. Justin, however, I like his look way better. I'm personally not into blondes, and I like the tall, dark, and brooding type. Haha... plus Justin was there for Abby when she had her accident and before that with the Christian fiasco. I would prefer a solid stable relationship, but right now, Abby needs low key and no pressure, so if I had to pick, I'd say Sean wins by a margin.

Thoughts on adding music? Personally, I love this about your story. I love the addition of music/songs to inspire the chapter or mood, like, I know I keep referencing this, but Abby/Sean's piano scene with Adele's All I Ask was beautiful. I'd love to see songs continue to follow Abby, but it would be interesting to see if you have songs that inspired Justin or Sean.

Thoughts on Abby? I really like Abby. I think she has a lot of potential. I also think she can be impulsive and immature. However, I don't think she was wrong to not pass up on an opportunity to make music and sing. She is very talented. If Justin truly loves her, he will support her dream and her music. If Abby truly loves Justin, she will support his dream and art school. They will make their relationship work and be supportive of each other. Of course, all relationships have give and take, and some compromises are necessary, though I'd rather call them "cooperation" with one another because honestly it won't feel like a compromise if that's what they truly want. This is one of the reasons why I'm in the Sean camp... he is supportive of her dream and doesn't try to change Abby or make her choose. I don't think Abby is being selfish at all in regards to picking her dream. I do think she is selfish in terms of stringing along two guys, one who is clearly in love with her, and the other who is generously giving her the "world." I know Sean is super casual about things, which in my book loses him a few brownie points, but Justin has been obnoxiously jealous at times, which loses him points, and Abby is having her cake and eating it too, which is not healthy for anyone. I think if she takes the time to focus on her music/dream/career, the guys can come later, but in the meantime, she has to pick one... at least for sanity sake (though not necessarily from a writing point of view because it makes for juicy drama).

Sean's motives? Honestly, I'm a smidge suspicious, but other than maybe wanting to irritate his parents or just have a good time, I like him too much to think he has a hidden agenda. I hope he doesn't. I do think objectively it is a little odd he wants to spend so much time and money on and with Abby who is a good bit younger than him, but their age doesn't seem to be stopping their relationship. He's definitely more experienced and worldly than Abby and has a different lifestyle, which she likes and wants, I believe. Justin is a little closer in age if I remember correctly, and sometimes I think age is important in relationships and other times, differences can be overcome.

Thoughts about Justin? When Justin screwed up quite literally with Millian, I lost some of my respect for him. If it had been one drunken night stand, I guess, I could forgive him. I think he just dropped Millian like a hot frying pan as soon as Abby was remotely a possibility again, which is so not fair to Millian, even if their relationship was purely "messing around." If Justin was truly in love with Abby, he should've waited or held off because it really wasn't that long before he got together with Millian. I mean, Abby got together with Sean, and I don't think she treated Justin the best at the end (i.e. staying out to all hours of the night and getting drunk with a man who wasn't her boyfriend) but neither did he (i.e. taking off without saying goodbye or at least trying to make the long distance thing work first).

I still like him, but I think he needs to get his "plum" together, quit whining, and take care of his kid to be because that's what a man should do. Honestly, I don't like Millian, but I feel bad for her as this is no way to bring a kid into the world, and Justin literally won't discuss things with her. If Millian is making up the pregnancy, then I could justify Justin's reaction, which I hope to God she's not because that would be just cruel. However, if she's not, then Justin really needs to grow up and take care of his kid first/make sure Millian will be okay because they are both consenting adults and it takes two to make a baby, and then, maybe, he can go back and try and work things out with Abby. But neither Abby nor Millian asked for nor do they deserve the drama.

I think if Justin and Abby truly love each other, they will work things out. Personally, I think Abby and Justin both deserve love, and if all Sean wants is the physical relationship, then maybe Abby would be better off with Justin. I would pick love hands-down over the fairytale (and I quite literally have experience in this field in my own relationships and my choice of a spouse). Money can't buy happiness, and neither can a long-term relationship/marriage be based solely on how good the bedroom life is. However, Justin and Abby need to grow up a little, and mature, and figure some things out and maybe experience more of life (at least Abby does) before they can make things work well and long-term. And I know I'm contradicting myself here because earlier I said I was rooting for Sean, but I'm still hoping Sean turns things around, falls in love with Abby and vice versa and they commit to a long-term relationship.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @AdamsEve1231 @xJojox @DreamsInPixels @Dancer-freak @Arrowleaf @Yushika @IllusoryThrall
    @IllusoryThrall thanks for your comments. In that particular story, I wanted the reader to have their own idea of what's going on in the flashbacks. I set up 2 possibilities. I actually felt the same as you writing about his trip. I think in my case it was because of being new to Sims 3 world adventures. Abe is a symbol of happiness in my sims' neighborhood. I wanted to give him a little bit of mystery and have you wonder "Wow this guy is literally happy ALL the time!" How does he do it?! Wish I could live like him.. Lol you know he's got a zest for life when he tells off death himself.

@DreamsInPixels I actually remember you when you were interested in joining the Circle. Welcome back! :smile: Thanks for your theory. It was one of the two possibilities

I love taking Sims we know and expanding their stories with my own ideas. I actually have the group's plan thought out in case I decided to use more details in the story. I will post it in the 'Most Wanted' section of the 'Codex' soon. If you haven't checked it out yet, it's a page of additional commentary for my stories.

@xJojox I'm glad you enjoyed Holiday and Congrats on finding a new house! No worries! You can give feedback whenever you have time.
    @Arrowleaf the same for you. I realize you're all busy. I've had those days as well. That's why i'm looking forward to my vacation :smiley:

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. It helps me a lot!! :smile:
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on