Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    Feeling a little burned out and uninspired to write but I still want to write. I have two different chapters being written at once and I'm not sure which one to focus on. I've just been winging it, writing down whatever pops into my head.

Aww I get you @NyteRose . Good idea, however, to write whatever pops into your head. Hopefully this will work. :)
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Feeling a little burned out and uninspired to write but I still want to write. I have two different chapters being written at once and I'm not sure which one to focus on. I've just been winging it, writing down whatever pops into my head.

Writing down whatever's in your head is helpful.

I am in this same boat, somewhat. Except instead of simlit in general, I just want to write things for my AO3 thing. (I need to fix that somehow)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited February 2018
    I was telling Dad about an old friend, and how she moved to another building. I mentioned she might drop by the next time she's supplying. This friend went to the same school until her father (or her mother) got moved and had to move the family at the end of Gr.4. When I mentioned that she might be dropping by the next time Dad was like "We have to get the house clean up first if you're going to have visitors. I'm standing there thinking we had visitors before when the house is much, much more messier.. and has he forgotten this is one of the friends I had over as a child..and you know what playrooms are like when there's children around. I thought his comment was incredible rude

{EA_Lanna: Removed personal and potentially identifiable information. Please be mindful that this is a public forum visible to all and to protect your information}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    6adMCGP.gif
    I'm just am so sick of making salad 4 days + weekends that I threw a fit. It was bad enough when I had to do it only four days and not the weekend. It just I so wanted a break today when I had assumed we had leftover Chinese food because normally we do so I could have a break. Also there's the issue is I don't know a lot of salads. Yes I have looked up salads online but the only salads I can find are for summer only (ie full salads) not "side salads" which is what I want. Dad wants us to have with our pork chops, roasted potatoes tonight-and we just had potato wedges last night...I mean can't we have either perogies or the Samos in either of our freezers instead? Instead of peas or carrots how about using the cauliflower or the broccoli instead-So they can be used because the drawer is overflowing so badly that it's next to impossible to close it?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Oh! Here's a fun salad with broccoli and cauliflower! You can steam the broccoli and cauliflower or use them raw. Put olive oil on them--or a dressing of your choice. Add a few other salad ingredients of your choosing, and you've got a great salad!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    Felt the need to faceplant myself to the bench.

I just found out my littlebro might have, I dunno how it's called in English... rheuma? Anyhow his legs have been aching for weeks and will be ckecked up on Wednesday, and I sit here thinking of how unfair it all is. He's too great and too small to have something like this happen. I should really just keep it all together so that I can keep being a supportive big sis - this might sound contradictory but that's why I felt the need to come vent here. I don't want to end up letting it all out when my family is around.

I do believe I'll be able to sort this out on my own, but it feels very good to shout one's frusration at a wall as kind as this.
    Thank you.
    For_Eorzea wrote: »
    Felt the need to faceplant myself to the bench.

I just found out my littlebro might have, I dunno how it's called in English... rheuma? Anyhow his legs have been aching for weeks and will be ckecked up on Wednesday, and I sit here thinking of how unfair it all is. He's too great and too small to have something like this happen. I should really just keep it all together so that I can keep being a supportive big sis - this might sound contradictory but that's why I felt the need to come vent here. I don't want to end up letting it all out when my family is around.

I do believe I'll be able to sort this out on my own, but it feels very good to shout one's frusration at a wall as kind as this.
    Thank you.

@For_Eorzea I am so sorry to hear that. Big hug. It's alright to feel frustrated when something like this happens. I understand that you want to keep it all together for your brother, but don't bottle up the feelings. You're doing the right thing letting your frustration out.

Again, I am so sorry and I am sure you are a wonderful big sis. My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @For_Eorzea You probably didn't ask for this but it's here if you want it. :)
    That's a tough situation to be in for you as no one wants to get that diagnosis. *hug* as you wait to find out what it is exactly. You probably already know this but even if he is diagnosed with it that it doesn't change anything about him. He is still your brother no matter what. You will naturally feel upset, you're only human. It's okay to feel that it's unfair and angry. I don't know your family but I do know they're going through it with you. They might feel the same way about it. It's okay to show how you feel. Your brother is your family and it hurts to see him in pain. If you need to rant any more then we're here for you.

I promise you that while things may seem a little hard now, things get better. It may not seem so right away but when the doctor's find out exactly what it is they can find ways to help him with the pain. I hope things go well on Wednesday. I wish both you and your brother luck with it.
    Another big thank, mes camaraderes.
    Due to Dad+Doctor appointments= Stressed out me I'm thinking of writing a couple of contracts and having dad sign them (It's only 2)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    It's been over two weeks since I've updated my story/written anything. I'm feeling really uninspired to write, so I've been lost in the land of WoW. I want to write but nothing looks right on the screen. I'm about to throw in the towel lol.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    It's been over two weeks since I've updated my story/written anything. I'm feeling really uninspired to write, so I've been lost in the land of WoW. I want to write but nothing looks right on the screen. I'm about to throw in the towel lol.

Noooo don't throw in the towel. I'm seriously loving your story!!!
    I think you need to have a bit more faith in your writing, because you're a good storyteller and we came up with some awesome ideas recently. :)

I totally get you with things not looking right on the screen, though. I had that same problem with art too, at first. What my art teacher used to tell me, however, is if you believe your art looks great, you're bound to be satisfied with the end result.

Either way, please give your story one last shot, because it's an awesome story and I believe your writing isn't as bad as you think. :)
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    I agree with what @simscognito said , @NyteRose <3

I think we tend to be way too hard on ourselves as writers because we compare ourselves with other writers. (I do it all too often... :( )

Each of us has a unique style of writing to bring to the table which appeals to all different kinds of audiences. If we all wrote in the same way, reading would be boring! ;)
    Believe in yourself! Tell yourself everyday, "I'm a d*** good writer!" And trust me, you will go far. (And have fun doing it :blush: )
    Keep up the great work! :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Hi, dear @NyteRose ! Happy Valentine's Day!

You know, I'm a big observer of creative cycles. When I think about the high level of output you've had over the past few months, it makes sense that you might want to take a bit of a break.

Your story's got a lot of life in it--so when you're ready to return to it, it will be ready for you write it again!

I really like Cog @simscognito and @emorrill 's advice, too! I agree with them! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    if i gave up everytime the benders broke i would have stopped writing.

the benders is in double digits. and we dididn't meet ayden til 2016 i'm about 90 percent sure the orginal story started in 2015.
    Any tips on how to get inspired to write again? I've got the main story plus two other sections being worked on at the same time. PLus I know the story only has only a few chapters left, maybe a little more, and I'm not too sure on how to end it. All I know so far is the ending is a bloody end for a certain someone who deserves it *not spilling who* and a redemption by love. Other than that, I'm blank lol
    Any tips on how to get inspired to write again? I've got the main story plus two other sections being worked on at the same time. PLus I know the story only has only a few chapters left, maybe a little more, and I'm not too sure on how to end it. All I know so far is the ending is a bloody end for a certain someone who deserves it *not spilling who* and a redemption by love. Other than that, I'm blank lol

Oh, the thematic elements of the ending sound SO good!

Sometimes, I like to look at screenshots before doing something day-dreamy.... like watering the garden, doing dishes, taking a nap or sleeping for the night... and I usually tell myself the story while I daydream. Then when I wake up, the words are poking, asking to be written down...

Sometimes, I also let my mind get completely off of it, and then I'll find that the story might pop up...

Sometimes, I also just sit down and write, even if I'm not inspired, and if I get stuck, I'll just write notes to myself like [develop the description of landscape here] or [come back to fill in the dialogue here...]

Nyte, I know how it feels like. Now that I'm feeling more healthy and the sun shines for longer times every day [The joys of the Arctic Circle as spring approaches.] , I've managed to get back to the things I know and love, but there was a time when nothing seemed to come out right. We all run out of mana at times. It's okay. We're here for you.

Everybody!

I recently got back to my old FFXIV drafts. They'd been waiting all this time as I worked on the AAC collab, and discovering them again felt weird at first, but after a lot of hesitation I finally got to publishing them, an act I would have been too scared to do eight months ago. Now I'm just as excited as I'm scared.

I felt the need to acquire confidence in my writing and learn to take in feedback before showing my most treasured projects. The SimLit community has been there whenever I needed a bench to curl up on or someone to ask for advice, be it for the reality that so much confuses me or the faerie I want to build.

Thank you, friends in the past, present and future! You keep me standing.

Love, Eorz
    I sat down this morning, cranked up the music (headphones) and started writing the ending to my story. I can't decide what direction to take it in though- do I do the typical happily ever after or something with a darker twist? Combine them? Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Nyte, I know how it feels like. Now that I'm feeling more healthy and the sun shines for longer times every day [The joys of the Arctic Circle as spring approaches.] , I've managed to get back to the things I know and love, but there was a time when nothing seemed to come out right. We all run out of mana at times. It's okay. We're here for you.

Everybody!

I recently got back to my old FFXIV drafts. They'd been waiting all this time as I worked on the AAC collab, and discovering them again felt weird at first, but after a lot of hesitation I finally got to publishing them, an act I would have been too scared to do eight months ago. Now I'm just as excited as I'm scared.

I felt the need to acquire confidence in my writing and learn to take in feedback before showing my most treasured projects. The SimLit community has been there whenever I needed a bench to curl up on or someone to ask for advice, be it for the reality that so much confuses me or the faerie I want to build.

Thank you, friends in the past, present and future! You keep me standing.

Love, Eorz

Hi @For_Eorzea Hope you're doing okay. I'm glad you've got back into writing. :) It's a real treasure to have you here. I love your discussions in the Kindness bench. :)
    I sat down this morning, cranked up the music (headphones) and started writing the ending to my story. I can't decide what direction to take it in though- do I do the typical happily ever after or something with a darker twist? Combine them? Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

@NyteRose OoohhhH!!! YayyyY!! What an achievement! Cannot wait to read it!!! Hmmm..... Well, I'm a sucker for darker twists, but the combining both the happy and the dark could create something quite intriguing.... hmm...
    edited February 2018
    Know the feeling when you walk past a mirror and for a sec are like "Who is this randocalrissian staring at me?"
    Also, thank you, @simscognito ! You're likewise great to talk with.
    Post edited by For_Eorzea on
    Got a creative ball rolling and a new chapter should be posted within the next couple days, maybe sooner if I keep up the pace I'm going at.
    Know the feeling when you walk past a mirror and for a sec are like "Who is this randocalrissian staring at me?"

Thanks @For_Eorzea :) Randnocalrissian? Never come across that word before. What does it mean?
    Got a creative ball rolling and a new chapter should be posted within the next couple days, maybe sooner if I keep up the pace I'm going at.

Yippeee!!!! So excited!!!! :smiley:

Thanks @For_Eorzea :) Randnocalrissian? Never come across that word before. What does it mean?

Randocalrissian is an original word, a twist on "random" and Lando Calrissian.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

Randocalrissian is an original word, a twist on "random" and Lando Calrissian.

I thought it was a doctor who alien. :joy: