Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    @InfraGreen I can't even begin to imagine going through such tragedy. I wish to the powers of the universe that this family get all the help possible. I'm very sorry about your aunt's mum. I also sometimes am surprised by the way certain events affect me. It may be "unconventional". So while I can't understand your experience exactly, I think I can sympathize. I hope you'll have better days soon.

@MadameLee I wanted to go to OUaT convention in the UK, but I had the same issue- money. Especially since the travel costs and buying the currency alone were too much. I did get over that rather quickly, it doesn't haunt me. But if you're not keen on giving up, I second @CathyTea and @InfraGreen Maybe you could find a willing friend or an organised group. And I wouldn't worry if it doesn't work out this time- they do it every year. There are also cheaper packages to consider-it wouldn't be perfect, but maybe then your parents could go with you? And here's an idea: I've seen videos on YT of people hanging around the set and the actors often come by after shooting to say hello and sign autographs for free. And you said you have a family in Vancouver, so maybe you could look into that?
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    @chocis well the currencey isn't so much of an issue OR travel (I can travel either via the 900 bus or via the Go train to Toronto). There are cheaper packages but if you want autographs from certain actors you kind of have to be there all weekend and not just some and pay extra for those autographs and pay extra for Saturday night concert ticket. Not to mention the hotel cost. Also we kind of want to save for another trip like the one my parents and I took in 2013 and again in 2016.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Yushika wrote: »
    Honestly, I love this thread. I actively use it to find stories to read before I sleep, or on a bad day. This thread, with the links to dozens and dozens of stories, inspired me to finally have the confidence to write my own legacy. Something I've tried before, but never stuck to due to fear and feeling like I didn't have the stuff. I still wonder if I do, but this thread gave me confidence. I'd be really sad to see it discontinued, however, I understand if this thread isn't healthy for you anymore or you need to step away.

Edit: This is to mastressalita about their thread, sorry! Super tired so typing is off. @mastressalita

@Yushika good new! @mastressalita got her threads stickied, so they should be gaining even more prominence ! I'm sure she'll be happy to read how much you love them !
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @Yushika : Thank you, I'm glad that you get use out of the Stories and Legacies Index. Honestly, the issue of recent had been seeing an overall decline in authors submitting their story links to it, so the balance of sites being removed for hiatuses/being discontinued versus new material was not being met, which made me feel like the index was slowly bleeding itself dry. Even now it's at a point where I don't really get new submissions unless I go out of my way putting in hours sending direct invite PMs to authors, which I only get around a 25-50% return on (for the last several months this is what I've been doing to "keep the index alive" even though it takes a good chunk of my time I could be investing in other projects). But as @CathyTea said, the thread did recently get a Sticky so now it won't constantly be buried by other threads in the Stories and Legacies section, and I'm curious to see if that added visibility is going to help bring more authors to come in and add their stories of their own accord more often!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
    @Yushika : Thank you, I'm glad that you get use out of the Stories and Legacies Index. Honestly, the issue of recent had been seeing an overall decline in authors submitting their story links to it, so the balance of sites being removed for hiatuses/being discontinued versus new material was not being met, which made me feel like the index was slowly bleeding itself dry. Even now it's at a point where I don't really get new submissions unless I go out of my way putting in hours sending direct invite PMs to authors, which I only get around a 25-50% return on (for the last several months this is what I've been doing to "keep the index alive" even though it takes a good chunk of my time I could be investing in other projects). But as @CathyTea said, the thread did recently get a Sticky so now it won't constantly be buried by other threads in the Stories and Legacies section, and I'm curious to see if that added visibility is going to help bring more authors to come in and add their stories of their own accord more often!

I really wish you goodluck! ; u ; And I hope you feel better soon. I know that feeling and it absolutely is the worst :c
    Gen1.png
    Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
    It's Just Another Story
  • AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @mastressalita Just catching up with stories and legacy index situation. I'd definitely be sad if this had to go. The site is where I get my new story. Most of the story I currently read come from there.

I knew most people use their reader page to get new stories now, but recently I did an unfollowing spree which I unfollow most of the blog that I probably won't ever read unless they're making a new story which I usually found here anyway. At that time I didn't realize that the index thread was possibly going to disappear.

I guess I need to refollow them. It's been really nice to have a clean reader page where the content there was the only story that you are willing to read. I used to just follow everyone that followed me, or like my blog and stuff, but I just saw a bunch of things on my reader that I'm probably never gonna read. So without the thread, it's going to be plum to discover new story by looking at the thread and readers again. Especially knowing how bad the stories and legacy forum organization are, it's like there's two different stories and legacy that's basically the same which not only confusing but also inconvenient. SO I'm pleading for it not to be discontinued, but if there wasn't any point in maintaining it, I guess I just had to adapt without it.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
    Thank you @AkramA . Yes, a while ago I was considering, due to a low amount of authors submitting works to the Stories and Legacies Index, if it was worth keeping the thread going. Enough people voiced that they wanted to see it stay around that I am keeping it open; I update every day. I am hoping *fingers crossed* that the Sticky from @SimGuruDrake will help its visibility and perhaps now authors will be more likely to drop by and add their works. Though at present, the only thing that has really been bringing in new stories is if I dedicate several extra hours of time each week to seeking out new stories and sending out invite PMs to these authors, as they just don't drop by the Stories and Legacies Index thread and add their stories of their own accord; I get maybe a 25-50% success rate from the invite PMs. So they help, but they are quite time-consuming for me.

I still see a few challenges in the Index's future as far as getting new works added. One of the challenges already is the "segregated" nature of the Stories and Legacies forums -- there are two sections, the general Stories and Legacies forum and the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum. I can't run multiple copies of the index (far too much work, one is enough!) so unless people follow the Gateway from Sims 4 Stories and Legacies or simply hangout in both sections (and from my experience, most people pick one area or the other as their "hang out"), many authors never see it. Now, that segregation may become even worse as there is a HUGE demand from the community for yet ANOTHER Stories and Legacies section just for Sims 3, as the Sims 3 community wants their own dedicated Creative Corner. I can only spread myself so thin. I can only maintain so many "Gateways" and I honestly don't even know how effective they are. And I seem to be the only one in favor of a more "integrated" creative community; whenever I voice this on that thread I pretty much get a "how dare you have a differing opinion!" It seems everyone else wants us all to be in our own little boxes based on what game we play and never share thoughts, ideas, or creative works with each other. (I guess I'm just such a weirdo!) And if the general Creative Corner (aka the "for everyone" one) goes away and they go "total segregation" then I would discontinue the Stories and Legacies Index at that point, as it would have no place to go -- it does not belong under Sims 2, Sims 3, OR Sims 4, as it freely indexes all works, and always will. But, considering right now the Gurus have provided no feedback to this Sims 3 Creative Corner thread for six months... I likely don't have to worry about any changes on that end for quite some time, regardless.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    @mastressalita Guh! I don't want the boxes! I want one big communal creative corner for story-tellers!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @mastressalita Guh! I don't want the boxes! I want one big communal creative corner for story-tellers!

why haven't they been merged?
    Well @CathyTea , if you look at the thread I linked, apparently we are in the minority. The consensus seems to be MORE SEGREGATION! "Sims 2 has its own Creative Corner, Sims 4 has its own Creative Corner, why are we the redheaded stepchildren of the board that don't have one? It isn't fair!!!" I am the only one on the whole thread that is pro-integration and anti-segregation and they all have their noses turned up at me for it. -_- ;; (And sadly, the suggestion I made didn't even say anything about getting rid of separate places for each game to have to place builds and stories and such, it would just be for them to all be together in a communal Creative Corner section, rather than being split up under each game section on the boards... )
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Well @CathyTea , if you look at the thread I linked, apparently we are in the minority. The consensus seems to be MORE SEGREGATION! "Sims 2 has its own Creative Corner, Sims 4 has its own Creative Corner, why are we the redheaded stepchildren of the board that don't have one? It isn't fair!!!" I am the only one on the whole thread that is pro-integration and anti-segregation and they all have their noses turned up at me for it. -_- ;; (And sadly, the suggestion I made didn't even say anything about getting rid of separate places for each game to have to place builds and stories and such, it would just be for them to all be together in a communal Creative Corner section, rather than being split up under each game section on the boards... )

thank you mast you answered my question. i wish it was intergrated too.
    @friendsfan367 : Good question. On Changes to the forums posted by @SimGuruDrake last June, it says:
    The Sims 4 Creative Corner will be merged into it's own Creative Corner section along side creative sections for Sims 2 and Sims 3. We really want to help highlight our creative community in one space instead of separating by which version you are playing on. - IN PROGRESS

...yet still nothing has happened, eight months later, and despite people in the Sims 3 Creative Corner thread begging for some sort of update from the Gurus about the Creative Corners (that thread was started in October, it is now March) it has only been met with silence.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    @mastressalita I've come to notice that many people really enjoy that "mistreated step-child" archetype and love to toot that moan at every opportunity!

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    edited March 2017
    @mastressalita You're definitely not alone in your opinion that the Stories and Legacies sections should be de-segregated. As you're already aware, I play two sims games, and have a crossover story between the two in addition to my other ts4- only stories. I've been having the idea in my head for awhile that I should consolidate all of my separate story threads into one, similar to what I've set up on Sims Community, and the natural place for that thread to go would be the currently-unmarked Stories and Legacies section. But if we only had the segregated-by-game versions of this section, I would be forcing that thread into one category, which would be both against my beliefs and could potentially be misleading for someone who clicks on that thread thinking that all the stories are for that one particular game. I've also noticed that as of late, users don't seem to have the ability to move their own threads between different sections of the forum, which has made me delay making that thread until I know exactly what changes will be made and when. Plus, there are plenty of other threads that can't be put in a box-- what about our Short Story Challenges or the SimLit guide? Those don't just belong in one category either. I think the problem is less about mistreated step-children and more about people always wanting to put things, ideas, or other people that they don't understand into boxes to make it easier on themselves, while having no regard for what others think about it.
    ETA: I'm also hesitant to voice an opinion in that thread, as its current tone mimicks that of an earlier forum feedback thread (that I don't remember the topic of) where someone had the indecency to say that pretty much all the problems on the forums are caused by teenagers, which is most definitely not true. Now I'm afraid that if I were to step into that thread and voice my opinion, someone would find out my age and use that to discredit me, and even though that's a very irrational fear, I can still see the possibility of that happening vividly enough that it scares me away.
    edited March 2017
    @Pegasus143 : That is exactly why I want there to continue to be a "general" Creative Corner section, at the very least... but still wish they would consolidate the creative corners together rather than just making more of them and further splitting the creative community apart. My suggestion was essentially to have general forums for everyone where threads of those nature, or discussion threads like "where do you get inspiration for your builds?" or "what are some great tips for writing an interesting legacy?" which reach past the bounds of any particular game could be posted, but at the top of these sections could be sub-forums for the individual games (like within the General Builds board, could be sub-forums for Sims 2 Builds, Sims 3 Builds, Sims 4 Builds), to better help organization if someone wanted, say, to find builds for a particular game version. And then the creative community would all be together in one area, and not split all over the boards underneath each individual game. Like you, if they just had individual Creative Corners for each game, underneath Sims 2, Sims 3 (if they made one, right now it doesn't exist), and Sims 4, the Stories and Legacies Index wouldn't have anywhere to go either, since it indexes stories from any Sims game (and that includes The Sims, Sims Medieval, Sims Freeplay, Sims console games, etc.)

ETA: Eh, well, they all discredited my opinion just because it was different from the consensus, and I'm an old codger. :-P I don't even think any of them bothered to note that I am also a TS3 player/creative content-creator, they just totally discredited me because I wasn't on their "Oh woah is us the TS3 community! Whine whine whine!" bandwagon.
    Post edited by mastressalita on
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    @mastressalita I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles with the Index. It was the first thread I clicked on ofter setting up my blog! I read the guidlines and started filling my submission, then took a break to set up my own thread so I could link it, had some not Sims-related work to do, and by the time I got back to it, you had already messaged me. I was so excited to be featured in your thread.
    Besides, even without new authors, there is a lot of people listed and others can find their stories through the Index. So, again, thank you for sticking with it and congrats on getting rightfully sticied!
    This part of the forum is such a welcoming place, full of friendly Simmers. It's sad that there is this segregation movement. I guess it stems from many people disappointment with TS 4 and their need to hate on the game every chance they have. I don't get it, Sims 3 still exist and everyone's free to play it. As you, and many other users, know.
    On the other hand, I can see that having Creative Corners dedicated to Sims 2 and 4 may make someone feel left out. So merging it all into one would truly be the best solution. Not only would it be practical, but also fair.
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    *slumps onto the bench*

It looks like it's been a while since anyone's needed the bench and I guess that's good. Looks like it'll be me dusting it off and using it this evening. I hope it's okay if I vent about something that's not Sims related.

I have another hobby - well, more, acutally - that I indulge in and I share these on my Vlog YouTube Channel. On there, I do videos having to do with journaling, fountain pens, and coloring. Lately, I've been doing a lot of coloring videos. I've got a lot of haul videos where I show things I'd bought, which a lot of folks love to see. Everything's going very well for the most part and the channel is growing daily. It's still pretty small, really, but I have almost 650 subscribers.

Well, Sunday, I got a TROLL who decided to plant herself on one of my videos this past Sunday. There's another YouTuber she loves and so therefore, I shouldn't be making the kinds of videos this other YouTuber does. I replied and said that people have different takes on products, so more than one opinion is always good. I said that if she didn't like it, she didn't have to watch my videos and that nobody was forcing her to be there. She came back with that 90% of my videos are just me buying things and that all I'm doing is competing to see how many coloring supplies I could rack up. I said I had the right to buy what I wanted, to make whatever videos I want on my channel, and that it was very astute of her; a haul video is showing what you buy.

Then, it became completely petty and just silly on her part. Here's how it went:

Troll: Too bad you are not as astute as I am.
    Me: ??? (by then, the husband and I were snickering about the entire thing because it was laughable, and he told me to put the three question marks. LOL).

Then, she got downright nasty and said she was blocking my channel, along with other stuff that really isn't worth repeating. I didn't respond and immediately blocked her. I just don't need that on my page, especially since this hobby is supposed to be relaxing and stress free. A few of my viewers expressed their displeasure at her behavior and I thought that was going to be the end of it.

Another video went up yesterday and apparently, she was at it again. Oh, but get this! She sent a request on Facebook to join my coloring group I'd created! As if I'd let her in to start trouble. No way! Anyway, it was strange, really. I blocked her but apparently somehow, comments from her got through somewhere because one of my other viewers saw it and told her off. Apparently, I am a wannabe hack, I am cruel, and I speak in third person :open_mouth: ROFL!!!

But it doesn't end there. She goes onto another person's videos and basically says she's going to "tell the coloring community" about the situation she's dealing with on another YT channel (meaning me) and that she has reasons for her ill feelings toward the other YouTuber (again, meaning me). Apparently, she cant get the attention she wants on my channel, so she's trying to get others involved to feel sorry for her. Oh, and she DENIES sending the request to join my Facebook coloring group, which is a total lie because she went right on my block list when I saw it come through.

I would normally just laugh the whole thing off because it's so ridiculous. But in the back of my mind, I wonder if I have a valid reason to worry. I know I can't do anything about it, but I don't want her nastiness and negativity to put a wrench in my YouTube channel in any way. Some trolls can be very persistent so it's a little worrying to me that she won't let it go and just move on. Okay, she doesn't like me, that's fine, but stirring it up again and again isn't good for anyone.

I'm not going to say anything because I refuse to give her any ammo to use. I just hate seeing stuff like this happen to anyone and it totally makes me sad. :(
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
    @sweetnightingale Well, we need a hugs button for that.

I know that you already know so much about this type of situation, the psychological aspects, the getting-hooked-on-the-mean-rush that happens with the trolls, the escalation into drama, the looking for more fuel...

And it doesn't make it all that much easier knowing what's happening. It still hurts.

There's something in our brains that can so easily get pulled right along with this: it's how we're wired. And that's what makes it so uncomfortable, in part!

Even though we know not to take it personally, not to get pulled in, it still happens.

That said, it really isn't personal. It's not you she doesn't like! She doesn't even know you! She's just using you as a icon or symbol so she can stir up all this, most likely to feed her own addiction to drama.

It will pass. You know this, too. In the meantime, keep reaching out to all of us who love you, respect you, and think you're the greatest! Keep spending time with those face-to-face people you love and who provide support. Give yourself extra doses of self-care and extra time with pup-dogs! :) And sunshine, too! :)

Thanks for sharing, too, and giving us the opportunity to share extra hugs. Also, since this type of thing does happen, when you share your experience and your strategies for dealing with it, you help others who go through this, too.

Lots of love!

• rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @sweetnightingale

That troll sounds as if she has no life. :/ That, or she's jealous.

You are doing a smart thing by blocking her and not getting involved. As they say, don't feed the trolls.

I'd say continue to block and ignore her. Hopefully, in time, she'll back off when she sees her bullying and insults aren't getting her the attention she wants. (and even if it doesn't right away, you do have other viewers who support you)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @sweetnightingale Well, we need a hugs button for that.

I know that you already know so much about this type of situation, the psychological aspects, the getting-hooked-on-the-mean-rush that happens with the trolls, the escalation into drama, the looking for more fuel...

And it doesn't make it all that much easier knowing what's happening. It still hurts.

There's something in our brains that can so easily get pulled right along with this: it's how we're wired. And that's what makes it so uncomfortable, in part!

Even though we know not to take it personally, not to get pulled in, it still happens.

That said, it really isn't personal. It's not you she doesn't like! She doesn't even know you! She's just using you as a icon or symbol so she can stir up all this, most likely to feed her own addiction to drama.

It will pass. You know this, too. In the meantime, keep reaching out to all of us who love you, respect you, and think you're the greatest! Keep spending time with those face-to-face people you love and who provide support. Give yourself extra doses of self-care and extra time with pup-dogs! :) And sunshine, too! :)

Thanks for sharing, too, and giving us the opportunity to share extra hugs. Also, since this type of thing does happen, when you share your experience and your strategies for dealing with it, you help others who go through this, too.

Lots of love!
    why can't we just type hugs.

hugs sweet.
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @sweetnightingale Cathy and red have already said what I was going to say, but they said it better, so I'll just say I wish you lots of strength for dealing with nastiness like that, and that I wish you all the best.

You're awesome. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @sweetnightingale Hugs to you. It's hard not to take things like that personally especially when it feels like an attack on things you enjoy and love and part of your person, but I would just continue to block/ignore this viewer. People usually troll for attention, because they like the challenge, because they learned from someone (a.k.a. they were troll'ed/bullied themselves) or because they are jealous and spiteful. It's about this person, not about you, even if they are taking it out on you. I'm sad that people on the Internet have nothing better to do with their time than tear people down. You keep your chin up and doing what you love. :)<3
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @sweetnightingale Sorry to hear about your troubles with a troll. Please, accept a hug from me.

I'm witnessing this type of behaviour daily on Simblr. There are anons sending nasty messages to people telling them their stories, their screenshots anything they create is worthless. Some simmers get so crushed by it that they completely stop writing and creating. What I don't understand is why there even is the option to send anonymous messages, it's like openly supporting this kind of behaviour. :/
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited March 2017
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    @sweetnightingale Sorry to hear about your troubles with a troll. Please, accept a hug from me.

I'm witnessing this type of behaviour daily on Simblr. There are anons sending nasty messages to people telling them their stories, their screenshots anything they create is worthless. Some simmers get so crushed by it that they completely stop writing and creating. What I don't understand is why there even is the option to send anonymous messages, it's like openly supporting this kind of behaviour. :/

If you know any of the people who are being targeted, you can tell them to talk to me if they need someone to listen and who's been there.

*is a veteran of seven and a half years of being stalked and trolled and gossiped about and having everything she says screenshotted and posted for public humiliation*

First thing I'd tell people on Tumblr is to turn anon off. My trolls go to an anonymous community where I can't do anything about them, but on my Simblr I have anon turned off and I use the block option with a swift and sure justice at the first red flag.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
    @sweetnightingale I don't know a lot about colouring, but I checked out your channel and it looks like a very cool hobby. I like you videos, you're kind and they seem very informative and professional. I got an adult colouring books about dachshunds for Christmas. Not because of my artistic skills, but because I live with a dachshund so my family feels the urge to buy anything weiner-dog related, but that's besides the point. What matters is that I actually got into it so I'll browse your videos for some more tips!

I'm really sorry about the troll. I agree with everyone that you should keep on ignoring her and hopefully she'll give up. It's a good thing you have devoted followers ready to defend you. And people can easily spot the troll, so maybe she'll increase your viewership by talking about you? I know it's not worth dealing with her, but silver lining and all that...
    Then there's the "report" button. I'm not sure how effective it is, but some offensive comments are being deleted so maybe if things get really bad you could try to fight her. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Don't let a disturbed, spiteful person taint your joy. Your videos are beautiful.