March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Achievement Thread - Guide on how to achieve them

Comments

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    KATENESS wrote: »
    Cool. She's made Hamburgers perfectly twice now, and Stu Surprise once. They have mostly all perfect ingredients in the fridge and the expensive stove. So hopefully this should work well. :)

Ingredient quality helps, but that's far from being the most important factor regarding quality. A high "Cooking" skill, "Natural cook" trait, "Born to cook" perk, boni from the skill journal, having successfully cooked that precise meal at least 5 times, having a chopper, and high end Fridge and Stove all have at least the same impact as the ingredients used.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Thanks! That's helpful. She's mastered cooking and has the natural cook trait. But I am getting frustrated because she can't get higher than Excellent for Grilled Cheese and Goopy Carbonado. Maybe she just hasn't made them enough. But the very first time she made Tri-Tip Steak and Stuffed Turkey they both turned out perfect. So I thought it was funny those low-skill meals just weren't perfect.
    giphy.gif

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @KATENESS If you check in your sim's skill journal, each recipe has a base quality listed next to it. The natural cook trait (as well as perfectionist), the menu maven skill challenge, and high quality ingredients all help upgrade the quality of the meal. So does cooking it over and over—the base quality listed in the skill journal increases by one level for every ten times your sim cooks that particular meal.

Since tri-tip steak and stuffed turkey are considered "great" all by themselves, they don't have so far to go to become perfect; the fact that you can use multiple perfect ingredients to make them also helps. But grilled cheese and goopy carbonara start at such a low level that it's almost impossible to get them to perfect quality... unless you have the Minus One Kelvin fridge from reaching the top of the culinary career. The bump from that will let you make a perfect version of almost anything. If you don't want to go through the entire career, you can use nraas MasterController to make your sim a level-9 chef and then just wait for the promotion. The item is probably also available using buydebug, although I've never looked for it there.
    You're so full of helpful information right now! :D I've never payed attention to the quality level of food until this challenge. So knowing it will take a looong time is helpful. I am planning on getting the badge for reaching the top of the chef career (whatever it's called) so maybe she'll get the fridge. Hopefully sooner than later.
    giphy.gif

@KATENESS If you got enough happyness points, you should also consider investing in the "Born to cook" LTR perk.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    I looked for it and I couldn't find it. I'm playing just the base game right now. Do you think maybe it came with an EP?
    giphy.gif

I looked for it and I couldn't find it. I'm playing just the base game right now. Do you think maybe it came with an EP?

It was added in Showtime...

https://carls-sims-3-guide.com/lifetimerewards/borntocook.php
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    Alright, so for the Ghost of a Chance badge are there any known issues? I got the Opportunity call really often so I finally decided to do it. I sent my sim to the Science Facility and got a message saying something like "Oh sorry it didn't seem to work this time. Try again later!" Only to notice it did actually work. The ghost sim rejoined the family and was playable and everything.

Do I just need to try it again some time and hope the badge works?
    giphy.gif

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Alright, so for the Ghost of a Chance badge are there any known issues? I got the Opportunity call really often so I finally decided to do it. I sent my sim to the Science Facility and got a message saying something like "Oh sorry it didn't seem to work this time. Try again later!" Only to notice it did actually work. The ghost sim rejoined the family and was playable and everything.

I have no idea. I've never even tried to do that one. The few times I got the opportunity was way back when I first started playing and it creeped me out a bit too much to want to try it then and I haven't seen it come up for me since.
    edited May 2018

The message you got is actually the normal completion message, saying that it didn't worked as originally intended (to revive the lost one) and instead only brought back his/her ghost.

From what I can see, there's an extra requirement, that the lost one is also a relative, and not just a friend. And I'd also venture a guess that there could be an issue with occults. However, if you want to cheat your way into that one, install DebugEnabler, form a household with a normal sim and one of his parent, have the parent die in a basegame way (drowning, hunger, old age, electrocution, fire), then force trigger the opportunity, and go to the science center to complete it.
    Post edited by Lexers615 on
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    Hmm. Well the sim that was revived was a human and the son of the sim that revived him. So everything seems like it should have worked. He had died from old age, but his mom is even older.
    giphy.gif

Hmm. Well the sim that was revived was a human and the son of the sim that revived him. So everything seems like it should have worked. He had died from old age, but his mom is even older.

I can't explain why it didn't work. That's why at this point I suggest simmers to try fixing it using mods...
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    I'm almost done with my Base Game legacy, and I've gotten a ton of base game badges. And I'm thinking about adding the Generations EP again soon. Does anyone know if there are any specific badges for Generations? I've had a look through the badges but I don't think I saw any, so I was just curious. :)
    giphy.gif

I'm almost done with my Base Game legacy, and I've gotten a ton of base game badges. And I'm thinking about adding the Generations EP again soon. Does anyone know if there are any specific badges for Generations? I've had a look through the badges but I don't think I saw any, so I was just curious. :)

According to both Carl's Guide and thesims3.com, there are no Generations' specific achievement.

However, I like Generations a lot as it does add new interresting features, though it adds a big bunch of bugs.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    Alright. Are there any known issues with the Sturgeon Surgeon badge? My sim is a Trauma Surgeon at work, and I had him prepare Sushi for dinner. It was "great" quality, but no badge. I had him try again the next day and he made sushi 5 more times, with the last one being "excellent" quality, and still no badge.

Any thoughts?
    giphy.gif

@KATENESS As with a couple of other badges, this one might benefit from reversing the order of functions. I think I knew that this sometimes worked when I was trying to get it and had my target sim make great sushi when she was one level lower than trauma surgeon. I think the badge triggered when she got the promotion, but I'm not totally sure, as I was kind of grinding at that point. If it's just not cooperating, why not use MC to demote your sim, have him make the sushi again, and then send him to work to get promoted? (If that doesn't earn you the badge, you can always make him quit and then use MC to reset his job level. And, as always, "save as" is your friend.)
    @KATENESS Well, food achievement seems to be somewhat tricky, as the great must be achieved prior to later boosting it with either "herbs" or "Kick it up a notch". Second, also, as always, there's the reccurent "occult" issue, which tends to be worst with the achievement from the base game.

I'd be cautious with the "save as" though. Several people said in here that using "save as" tends to break the "chain of event" triggering the achievement. From what I get, if you want to use it, you got to do it prior to begining the "chain" triggering the achievement, or after "cashing in" the achievement, not midways. In your case, you'd need to "save as" before either preparng the "sushi" or getting the promotion, and then only use the regular "save" up until you get the achievement.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    @Lexers615 - I just read your comment about being careful with "save as". I wonder if that has been stopping me from getting the grandparent badge. Hmm. I may start a fresh game.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    Me1620 wrote: »
    @Lexers615 - I just read your comment about being careful with "save as". I wonder if that has been stopping me from getting the grandparent badge. Hmm. I may start a fresh game.

I scrolled up trying to find who wrote about it, and OMG I make so many typos!
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    edited May 2018
    Me1620 wrote: »

@Me1620 I was just saying that "save as" could be useful for trying a few new approaches to triggering a simple badge, in this case Sturgeon Surgeon, which has only the two necessary conditions. It's more convenient to play from the same point several times than to have to start the career over (also why MC could help in this scenario).

But about the grandparent badge in particular, that's the one that gave me the most trouble. My sim who'd had 15 children should have triggered it and didn't, despite never moving or doing anything else to reset. I did use "save as" many times, but in a game that long, it would be malpractice not to do so. (I also used it in with another game in which I probably got 30 badges, including some complicated ones, and it was never an issue. But I was online for every intermediate step.) But after struggling to figure out why I hadn't received the badge, I read a post that described a number of conditions that the badge page never described. I don't know if all of those conditions are strictly necessary, but I just did everything listed:
    • Apparently, the game secretly assigns a "head of the family" in each household, and this is the sim that has to earn the badge.
    • This sim must also be female, for some reason.
    • Multiple kids of this sim need to have children of their own.
    • Adoption counts, and so should an MC instant baby.
    • After having 30 grandkids, the sim should have another child (likely through adoption), which should trigger the badge.
    So what I did was, I loaded the Bunch family in SV with its convenient 4 children, killed off Jack so that Judy would automatically be the head of the family, and aged up the kids so they could start reproducing. With mods in play, I had more than eight sims in the house at a time. I gave Lisa a pile of kids (with different dads, just for fun) and moved her out to another house in town. I called the social worker repeatedly until Ethan had lots of kids, moved him out, rinsed and repeated with Arlo and Darlene. Then Judy adopted a kid herself and triggered the badge. Oh, and I didn't use "save as," since I didn't care what happened to the family once I was done. The whole thing took about two hours in total.
  • ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    edited May 2018
    Wow. That's a lot not to tell you. But I haven't had any luck with that badge either, after several tries, although in one case I suspect the one last child was the missing piece - Ive done 32 or 33 grandchildren almost every time 'just in case' before giving up. Other occasions I might have ended up with a male head of household. Maybe I'll give this one another shot.
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    edited May 2018
    @puzzlezaddict - Thanks for all the information about the grandparent badge! The family I have used does have a female head of household with no male partner. She has had 2 children having the grandchildren, both naturally and through adoption. She is well past the 30th grandchild. However, I have not tried her having another child. If that doesn't trigger that badge I will follow the steps you took with the Bunch family and not use the Save As command. I will have to get the mod to allow larger households.

ETA - Update. I opened my latest saved game which had 34 grandchildren. I had the head of family, who is female, adopt a few children but the badge did not trigger. Then I started a fresh game using the Bunch family following the conditions listed by puzzleaddict. I used MC to adopt all the children (I have never used MC before and I will definitely be using it in the future. Thank goodness for NRaas.) After there were 30 grandchildren, I had Judy Bunch adopt another child. I added a few more grandchildren and children. No badge yet. :s:#:'(
    Post edited by Me1620 on
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    Ok I'm back with another question. This time it's about the badge A Novel Way to Play (Have you sims write 80 novels).

First question: I don't see it in the list on page 1. Am I missing it somewhere? I've looked under A and N.

Second question: Why didn't I get it? I have a sim that just finished writing her 81st novel and no badge. I'm wondering if it has to be a certain type of novel or if any will work. She was writing children's novels. She had a wish to write 80 and after she finished she got the reward points. But I guess it didn't count for a badge.

It feels like I'm doing something wrong or maybe my game is funky and bugged or something, since the last two I've tried haven't worked when they clearly should have. Bummer. :'(
    giphy.gif

@KATENESS I don't know where it's listed here, but I can tell you how I got it. I had a household of five sims grinding away at badges; when they weren't advancing their careers (for the level 10/LTW related badges), they were writing about half the time. Four of them wrote fiction novels just to get them done quickly, and the other went for the vaudeville sequence (master of literary arts). I think the badge triggered right at 80 novels. I'd used "save as" quite often but was online each time a sim finished a novel.

So maybe there's a secret requirement for more than one sim to contribute, or for multiple types of novels? I do think that if a novel is completed offline, it doesn't count. It also might be important that the novels each have different names, although if you only have one sim writing, then that wouldn't be an issue.

What's the other one that didn't work? Sturgeon surgeon? Since you've earned that one, you'd be well within your rights to create a new sim in a new game, use MC to establish the appropriate career and skills, and try again to see if there is in fact something wrong with your game, or maybe that particular save. But that would really suck if all of those books counted for nothing.
    Ok I'm back with another question. This time it's about the badge A Novel Way to Play (Have you sims write 80 novels).

First question: I don't see it in the list on page 1. Am I missing it somewhere? I've looked under A and N.

That's odd... I must have overlooked it when I copied off my word file... I'll try to get the .DOC back and fix it. Might take a day or two as I'm drowning into homework.
    Second question: Why didn't I get it? I have a sim that just finished writing her 81st novel and no badge. I'm wondering if it has to be a certain type of novel or if any will work. She was writing children's novels. She had a wish to write 80 and after she finished she got the reward points. But I guess it didn't count for a badge.

It feels like I'm doing something wrong or maybe my game is funky and bugged or something, since the last two I've tried haven't worked when they clearly should have. Bummer. :'(

Yes, there are quite a few books that do not count towards the limit. I know for a fact that "Comics" and "Articles" do not count, as well as all "Opportunity" books: "Biographies", "Life story", "Autobiography", and most likely all genres added subsequently to the implementation of the Achievement do not either. If I remember correctly, "Children's" genre was updated both by "Generations" and "University", so I'd venture a guess that it will not count. However, as @puzzlezaddict mentioned, "Fictions" and "Non-Fictions" do count, and are the quickest to write, after "Comics".

I went back to The Sims 3 wiki to find out which genres were subsequently added, and here they are: "Comics", "Sports", "Horror", and "Poetry", that were either added with "Supernatural" or "University". Some opportunity genres were also added with "Ambitions"

Regarding the "Save as", I'll repeat my previous warning. You should only use "Save as" prior to beginning a "chain" triggering an achievement, or after "cashing in" the achievement, not midways. Apparently, using "Save as", and/or loading the newly created saved game, could break the chain. In this specific case, the chain is writing 80 books. Achievements progress is logged in some files in the "The Sims 3\Downloads", and not creeped or harvested off the "Journal" or such, even if the "Journal" allows you to keep track on most.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top